- Text Size +
A dark sky pinpricked with glimmers of light, warm air hanging over shadowy plains – the scene could be mistaken for a summers night under the stars. It was only under deep recollection and intense back-and-forth that the group realised their true location: under beady holes in a massive blanket, a taste of early morning light, and a land of mattress cloth stretching out into darkness all around. Unsure of their scale, they marched in close file, eager not to lose anyone under the cover of sheer blackness. It was easy to lose the rest of the group in this place, a lesson some learned all too well.

The further “north” the company marched, the warmer the air got and louder was the steady rumble of breath after heaving breath. They were not alone beneath the covers. An hour passed, then another. The place was not uncomfortable, though it stank slightly of sweat and a hint of perfume. Endless discussions were of course accommodated by the long and simple journey. The fragrance was noted as familiar by everyone, and soon the sleeping girl’s identity was revealed: a close friend to some, a distant acquaintance to others, a student to a few, and to one an ex-girlfriend.

Before long, friendships were forged and the team were laughing, regardless of only knowing each other by the tone of their voices. When finally they hit a soft and immense wall, they quickly assumed it was the ball of a foot. While it would be concealed in darkness above, this would mean her arching sole was towering overhead, and that thought gave no great joy. Still, the close-knit team went to work collecting anything useful for scaling or waking her, then they reformed using whistles and shouts.

It would have been hard to separate that lot with their comradery, brought close by the eerie strangeness of their situation. Perhaps hours went by, it was difficult to tell, but in the end the morning light shone details into the landscape. A wide open flatland of sparse clumps of dirt, strands of hair, and specks of fluffy lint. In the distance behind the team, so far away it boggled their minds, the creases of the sky met the land. As the light grew more revealing, the team saw strange ruggedness and dark-toned colouration in what they had spent the night with. On the one hand, it certainly exceeded expectations, as huge as a mountain with gashes running down like fissures in a cliff face. Roots of wool or hair poked out like bent trees. As the dazed team made their way around it, the view of a far greater mountain hundreds, maybe thousands, of miles away came into sight. Arching, creasing, looming, the foot was speckled with spots of dirt, a loose hair strand sticking to the skin here and there.

What followed, in the wake of the literal dawn, was the shaking revelation they had spent the night scaling a tiny piece of dirt. Looking back, it seemed like no more than a sand grain and, from the queasy smell, the enormous thing had likely fallen off her sole. The distant toes twitched. She would wake soon, an hour at most, and the journey to her foot would take absurdly longer than that. So much so, the thought drilled a pit into everyone’s stomach. One wept, another just wandered off and never came back. Those who remained sat in silence for the longest time and only spoke in the briefest of terms.

Minutes before she awoke, the team exchanged a few hugs. They gathered leftover strings and tightened them into cords, then silently strangled each other. The last one finished himself off to the unceremonious tune of his ex’s alarm.