- Text Size +

 

Mandy was checking at one house after another, knocking on the door, presenting herself, showing the photo of Sean and telling people of her missing employee. But her search seemed fruitless. Of the five houses she checked not a single person had seen the professor since his disappearance. Standing in the middle of the quiet street, Mandy sighed, resigned. This was her only hope of getting to know his whereabouts but it seemed the professor had vanished in thin air. She was just about to abandon her search when she noticed a house she missed, a grey brick unassuming bungalow on the corner. Thinking she might as well check it out, she headed towards it.

 

 

‘…and that’s the end of it’ Kristine concluded her story, having told Nicole of what transpired since yesterday’s evening.

‘Good thing you didn’t throw him out’ Nicole said, looking down at the little man ‘I wish we knew more about him. Like his name or how he made himself so small in the first place. Or better yet, if it can be reversed’

‘I agree. But our communication is limited, as you see’

‘So… what will you do with him?’

Kristine took a sip of her tea and looked back at Nicole ‘I don’t know. I wanted to help him reach out to someone but it seems he doesn’t have anyone close living here’

‘Maybe we should take him to a hospital’

‘What for?’

‘Well… Maybe they’d know how to help him?’

Kristine wondered for a moment before replying ‘I don’t think they would. I don’t even think there had been a case of people shrinking before. And frankly, I’d be worried if I left him there. What if they shipped him to some laboratory and… experimented on him?’

‘I guess you’re right’ Nicole said, her attention turning to Sean once more ‘I feel kinda sorry for him. Can’t imagine how scared he must be seeing us like this’

Kristine smiled at the empathic comment of her niece ‘He doesn’t seem afraid of me. Maybe he would trust you more if you picked him up. Why don’t you ask him?’

‘Um’ Nicole started, looking awkwardly at the tiny speck on the table ‘Can I… hold you?’ she asked and saw him lift his right arm. ‘What does it mean?’

‘It means yes. And the left arm means no. Lay your hand down, he’ll climb aboard himself’

 

She did so and watched in amazement as Sean approached her massive hand, climbed on top of her fingertip and ran into her palm. She lifted her hand slowly, eyes glued at the little person within. ‘Wow… I barely even feel him. It’s as if he weighed nothing’ she said, astonished ‘Hey, little guy’ she whispered, looking down at him and smiling as Sean waved to her. She held him for a few seconds more before laying her palm back on the table and waiting for him to get off. ‘So I guess he’ll be staying with you for a while?’

‘Yes. Until we figure out what to do next’ Kristine told her niece before addressing Sean again ‘Did you like it in Nicole’s hand?’ she asked and smiled as the little man eagerly lifted his right arm.

‘I really wish we could help him out’ Nicole said and as she did they heard the doorbell ‘It’s okay, I’ll get it’ she said, stepping out of the kitchen.

 

When she opened the front door she saw a plump girl around her age holding an unfolded piece of paper with a photo and they talked for a moment. She said that her name was Mandy, that her employer (the man in the picture) has been missing since yesterday, told her his name and finally she asked whether Nicole had seen him around.

‘No, I’m sorry, I wasn’t here yesterday. But my aunt was. She’d probably know more about your boss. Would you like me to ask her?’

‘If it’s not a problem’

Nicole called Kristine and when the latter showed up she introduced Mandy and her problem.

‘Well, I can’t say I’ve seen anyone like that around lately’ Kristine said, glancing at the photo ‘But if we exchange numbers I can give you a call if I see him. Oh and, can I keep this paper?’

‘Sure. Let me just write my number down on this paper’ Mandy said, taking a pen out of her purse and scribbling her digits. They said goodbye and Kristine closed the door, leading Nicole to the living room.

‘Where is…?’ Nicole started, suddenly remembering about the little man.

‘In my pocket. No worries, he’s safe’ replied Kristine, still looking at the photo. The man’s face seemed familiar. Too familiar. When they were in the living room, she gently picked Sean up and set him on the coffee table by the wicker chair, then folded the paper and put it in her now free breast pocket. Turning towards Nicole, she said: ‘Can you keep an eye on him for a second? I need to find the magnifying glass’

 

Nicole sat in the lounge chair, looking at her phone and occasionally glancing over to the little man wandering around the coffee table. At one point she propped her bare feet against its edge, then noticed Sean’s looking at them. ‘What? Yeah, I got big feet. So does auntie Kristine. It runs in the family’ she told him and realized how uneasy he must feel with them looming over him, so she lowered them to the floor ‘Sorry. I can be such an airhead sometimes’ she apologized and went back to her phone, embarrassed. When that feeling dissipated, she once more looked towards him and put her phone back. He seemed a bit more interesting than unread messages on social media at the moment. She leaned in, looking down on him. She could hear Kristine in the background, stomping around and opening every drawer and cupboard in the house.

‘So, you must be pretty smart if you could shrink yourself, right?’ she asked “You’re a scientist or something like that?

He lifted his right arm.

‘I see. And a good one too. I mean, I haven’t heard of people shrinking themselves before so you must’ve done something right’ she added with a little smile ‘And brave, I guess. I don’t think I’d go and do something like that. Are you brave?’

Left arm. Negative.

‘Sorry to hear that. Are you… afraid right now?’

Left arm again.

‘Wow. Because I’m here?’

Right arm.

‘Aw. That’s kinda sweet. Tell me something more. You think I’m pretty?’

Right arm, repeatedly.

‘You little smooth talker’ Nicole laughed ‘I can see why auntie Kristine is keeping you around. Oh, speak of the devil’

 

Kristine entered the room, somewhat exhausted after combing through the whole place looking for a magnifying glass, which she was now holding in her hand. She was also wearing glasses now. She took the piece of paper out of her pocket, spreading it on the coffee table. Then she crouched by its side and brought the glass over Sean. The giantesses looked through, finally seeing the little man’s facial features and comparing them with the photo.

‘Nicole, your eyes are better than mine. What do you think?’

‘No doubt about it. That’s him’

A warm smile spread across Kristine’s face as she moved the magnifier to the side and looked at the little man with her own eyes. ‘Hello, Sean. I think we’ve found someone to help you’ she told him.