- Text Size +
Story Notes:

First story in a while. English is not my native language, sorry about any misunderstanding.

Author's Chapter Notes:

Nothing much happening, just a little context.

It was a perfect morning, cloudy sky, cool breeze coming from the window. Perfect weather to sleep till noon, as James was used to, the only problem was…

“FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK”.

…It was Thursday.

               “Im late, im late”. He said picking up the jeans he used yesterday and a (probably) clean shirt on his wardrobe.

His nightstand’s clock was flashing 9:27 Am, he was supposed to be on Dr. Donnavan lab since 7:00, it was his third ‘last chance’ of saving his internship, and he messed up. Again.

“Shit”. He shouldn’t be surprised with his discharged mobile, that’s what happens when you fall asleep playing stupid games. No uber for him then.

******************************

‘Wow… 27 minutes, that pretty awesome’. He thought panting with his hands on his knees waiting for the elevator to reach it’s destination. Seemed that his athlete days wasn’t that far behind. Bella, the receptionist of the 8th floor would agree. She would always get…lets say…’happy’ to see the 6’ 2” beefy intern entering the place. She wanted him to be hired after graduation, but let’s be honest, he was far from be a brilliant guy. The most precise description of him, was heard during a ‘girl talk’ when one of the female scientists referred to him as ‘a specimen with an intelligence inversely proportional to its hotness’.

‘And my god…he is hot’. She thought peeking he’s butt disappear in the hallway.

A couple of minutes later, the anxious intern was frozen in front of the closed door labeled…

803 - Dr. Donnavan

 

“Hello doctor, sorry im late…I lost my home keys and…”

’No, that’s stupid’

 

“Heeeey doctor, sorry im late…my bus crash…”

’Nooooo, that’s even stupidier’

 

“wasup doc …”

’Come on brain…wasup? Doc? Really?!’

 

‘Last try…’

“Im so…so…so…sorry doc…”. Suddenly another voice from behind, cut off his monologue.

“See doctor, I told you he was probably sick, look at him, he is even apologizing to doors”. Emma said, finishing with a subtle smirk. He flushed as soon as he faced Dr. Donnavan next to her. He wasn’t even mad, but the look as of a disappointed grandfather was far more hurtful.

‘The fucking nerd had probably arrived in the lab even before the doctor, she was never late, never wrong. He should try to be more like her, Dr. used to say. But how?! Maybe he should try losing 2 feet in height, growing a par of boobs’ and becoming a stuck up bitch.

“he…hey…hey guys, I thought you were running the simulations we planned for today.”

“We finished about a hour ago…and about that, we really have to thank you”

“Re…really? What did I do?”

“Nothing, and that helped a lot, with you not around, things were a lot more productive.”

“Emma…don’t be harsh. James always helps. Leave us alone for a while Emma, I need to talk to him, in private”.

She turned back and walked away, James couldn’t help to think that he would totally hit on her if she wasn’t such a bitch. Even for a 5 foot and something she was pretty hot, and he always had a thing for blondies. But the real world was calling, time to talk to the doctor, he was probably getting fired, no point even trying to defend himself.

 

***************

At the doctor’s office they talked.

“Doctor, i…”

“Let me stop you right there James…You don’t need to apologize, or make up a story”

James faced the ground, ashamed.

“I’ll be honest with you, right now, you are not good enough for this place. That’s true, but I see potential in you, I see my self younger in you… BUT you have to strive.”

“This isn’t my place doctor, I don’t even know how I managed to get this internship”

“That’s a fun story actually, you really didn’t deserve at the time, the real selected was Jame Smith Martin, or Jame S. Martin. Some typing mistake occurred, and we hired JameS Martin.”

James looked even sadder after hearing that story, and Donnavan realized that.

“James, you improved a lot, and you are still improving, with more effort, you can manage to get the real job after graduating. I believe in you.”

“Thanks Dr. I promise I won’t disappoint you again.”

“Well…unfortunately I have some news you won’t like.”

“So…after all…im really fired?!”

“No…I mean, maybe. Things have changed and it will be up to you. This last chance won’t be for free”

“Tell me doctor, what do I need to do? I’ll do it”

“Don’t be so hasty, you know that we came to the stage of human testing on the project XZD9732, right? We need someone involved, someone we can trust to be the subject.”

“I don’t know doctor, im not sure I can do this”

“I know it’s a lot to ask, it was my only idea to make you look more helpful faster. I promised that to our director. Is that or…well, you know.”

“Ok doctor, you worked in that project for years, I trust you. I’ll do it”

“Im glad to hear that, one last thing. And after I finish, you’ll leave the room without saying a thing, I hate farewells. Im retiring today, the new head of the project knows our agreement and is eager to start tomorrow…Sign this liability agreement, go home, have a rest, and get here in time tomorrow.”

James, with some ‘sweat’ coming from his eyes, signed the paper and went toward the door.

 

*****************

The next day, 6:30 am James was entering the lab, it would be the first time he was the first to get there. He was pleased with himself for that.

‘Today is going to be a gre…’

“Hey James,  nice of you to get here in time”

‘Oooooh, come on, she is already here?!

“Hello Emma. Yes, doctor asked me to be here early. So here I am”

“Do you mind if we start things?”

“Sure, why not, let’s get over with it.”

She pointed at something that resembled a dentist chair, in a small room. As he sitted she locked the shackles of the armchair. James was uneasy.

‘dammit it feels like im in the death row. And no one better than Emma to be the executioner’

As she was heading out of the small room he said.

“Hey, since everything is set…shouldn’t we wait for the new head of the project? He must be almost here”

“Oh… the head of the project?!... didn’t Donnavan tell you?!...”

She paused.

“…SHE…is already here”

 

‘Fuck, maybe I am in the death row’. He thought just before hearing the sound of the machine activating.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

reviews are always welcomed, even the bad ones. I want to improve. =)