- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Yay chapter 3! Sorry to those on Twitter btw, I said I'd be posting it early, but there was no signal and no wifi at the convention. Hope you enjoy! Sorry in advance if this chapter seems a bit slower. It's mostly setup.

    "Hey, it's the girl from this morning. Megumi, right?" It was the same bright and bubbly girl that Megumi met at the front gates. She was waving at Megumi, with her two other friends standing right behind. Upon seeing one of them Mai instantly recoiled in shock and started to whisper something to Megumi. 

 

    "That girl with the red hair… She's one of the murderers from the hall.” She whispered to her. Thinking it'd be best to conceal Mai from the girl, she slowly put her in one of her pockets and nervously turned to face the three girls. She couldn't believe it, she just couldn't. How could a murderer be friends with such an innocent-looking girl? It had to be a Misunderstanding. So, for the time being, Megumi decided to act normal as usual, however, that was going to be a lot harder than she thought.

    "H-Hi Bunny! How do you do?" She waved back, her hands shaking like crazy. This kind of anxiety was incredibly rare for Megumi, as she almost always seemed to be confident and enthusiastic when talking to people, this time was different though. If Mai was telling the truth that meant she’d be partaking in idle chit chat with some kind of… psychopathic murderer! Few words could describe the emotions floating around in Megumi’s head, but her main priority above all else was protecting Mai. 

 

    "What's the matter?" Bunny leaned in close and placed her hand on Megumi's shoulder. Noticing her shaking, she tried to think of a reason as to why she'd be so nervous. Considering, how confident and social Megumi seemed when they first met there was no way it could be due to shyness. Nonetheless, she was practically shocked to see her acting so weird.

 

    "Maybe, she accidentally crushed a little bug, and is worried she'll get in trouble." The red-haired girl chuckled and looked toward the ground to see if there were any bloodstains. 

 

Megumi was baffled that anyone could nonchalantly say such a thing, even as a joke. But, a stupid comment like that wasn't gonna break her resolve. Megumi took a deep breath and tried to think of a reasonable excuse to avoid these girls.

 

    "Don't joke about that kinda stuff, Alice!" Bunny sighed and suddenly realized as to why Megumi was so nervous. Though, given the circumstances of her current position, there was a 0% chance she’d be able to guess correctly.

 

    "Oh, I got it! You got in trouble, didn’t you? That’s why you’re outside the faculty office.” She teased. A+ for effort but she was unbelievably incorrect, however, that did give Megumi the perfect excuse to excuse herself. 

 

    "Ahaha… Y-You're right. I… I got lost this morning and I was marked late because of it. The teacher called me here to reprimand me haha. Oh gosh, look at the time haha I guess I gotta go inside now." She laughed nervously. Just from hearing how bad Megumi was stuttering Mai realized one major weakness she had. Megumi seemed to be incredibly awful under pressure.

 

    "What are you talking about Ms.Shiro?" Megumi's homeroom teacher asked as she walked out of the faculty office. "I'm pretty sure I excused you when I saw that Ogasaki had escorted you to class…" She looked at Megumi, trying to understand why she'd lie about being in trouble not realizing that her comment may have blown their cover.

 

    "Huh? Wasn't Ogasaki giving her announcements to all the classes this morning?"She looked at the teacher who, unsurprisingly, wondered what she was talking about. Due to the incident that happened in the halls, Mai had to cut her plan short meaning she wasn't able to visit all the classes she was scheduled to give her announcement to. After hearing what the teacher had said Bunny started to become slightly suspicious of Megumi because she couldn't understand how Mai was able to finish up her announcements AND escort Megumi to her class. If she had been suspicious of her earlier Megumi wouldn't have been able to answer, but thanks to the teachers’ interference Megumi finally got the time she needed to calm down and think of a believable excuse. 

 

    "Well, when I was lost in the hallways I saw Mai leaving the nurse's office. She then told me that one of her friends got sick and that she needed to call the whole thing off for the day. And since we knew each other back in middle school she offered to help me while her friend rested up!" She said confidently, gazing at Alice with a slight glare. 

 

    "Oooh, that makes sense. I never knew Ogasaki had a childhood friend. Sorry for being suspicious of you." Bunny smiled at her, and upon hearing what she said in response, Mai couldn't tell whether she was supposed to be offended or relieved. But, with the onslaught of questions over Megumi was finally able to relax for the time being. Until Bunny decided to ask one more question.

 

    "So, if you're not in trouble then why are you waiting outside the faculty office?" She asked putting her hand on her chin. At this point, Megumi was starting to get pretty fed up with this nonstop interrogation. However, this one was easy to answer, because all she had to do was put on a bashful face and tell somewhat of a white lie. 

 

    "I… I wanted to start a club!! But since I'm a new student here, I thought it would be embarrassing…" She looked down and fiddled with her hair. She then hid her face and started to run away promising Mai that she'd turn in the form for her later. 

 

    "Poor girl, Why'd you have to interrogate her like that. You should probably apologize to her next time you see her…" Bunny's other friend sighed and started to walk away. Bunny didn't know why Megumi got so upset. 'what's so embarrassing about wanting start a club?' she thought, then tried to ask Alice, however, she seemed to be oddly quiet for some reason. 

 

    "This is gonna be very interesting…" She mumbled to herself, thinking about what Megumi said earlier. Of course as flawless as her reasoning was there was one major flaw that she couldn't avoid, or rather, a major flaw she chose not to avoid. It was pretty obvious that the person who caused the incident in the first place would know the real reason as to why Mai had to cut her announcements off short so she almost instantly saw through her lie, but understandably remained quiet about it. It wasn't a mistake though. Megumi completely intended to tell a lie that only she could disprove. It was a cryptic way of saying she knew exactly what she did in the halls, which explained her nervousness. Alice didn't know how to react to the very apparent fact that the 'annoying micro student representative', who knew of her true personality, now had a very competent and formidable ally.

 

-A few minutes later-

 

    "That could've gone better." Mai sighed looking at the club registration form. She then thought about Megumi's initial suggestion and decided that she should at least hear her out. "So why exactly do you think Furyu would be a good addition to our committee?" She asked waiting for her explanation. In response, Megumi told her about the little incident in the hall that occurred during lunch.

 

    It was clear that Furyu Mitsukabe was anything, but a kind person, however, the fact that she went out of her way to save Rentaro was smoking gun as to why Megumi wanted her to become part of their committee. However, they didn't just want her for her compassion they needed her for her intimidation and muscle. If they could just find out the reason why she saved Rentaro, both of them could be sure about their decision to recruit her. As for a plan to do such a monumental task, Megumi had a perfect idea. But, she wasn't ready to reveal it just yet. 

 

    "We'll just have to do our best and if she doesn't join, then at least we can say we tried." Megumi smiled and gave a thumbs up to Mai.

 

     'Where did she get all that optimism?' she thought, looking up at Megumi amazed by how cheerful and supportive she's been to her even though they met less than an hour ago. The admiration was mutual as Megumi was also amazed and inspired by Mai's sheer willingness and determination to make a change, even with the odds incredibly stacked against her. 

 

    "Thanks for hiding me earlier, by the way, I owe you one." Mai sighed, thinking back on how pathetic she must have seemed to Megumi at that moment, but Megumi didn't think that, even for a second. The thought never occurred to her. There was no way Megumi could ever think that Mai was pathetic or weak it was quite the opposite. After everything she's been through today, Mai was one of the strongest people Megumi's ever met. 

 

    "Well, mind if I cash in that favor right now?" She tilted her head and thought of something on the fly.

    "Uh, sure." 

    "Alrighty then…" She delicately placed Mai on a nearby window sill and took a deep breath. 

    "Please be my friend, Ogasaki-Senpai!" She asked bowing her head and extending her hand. Time seemed to slow down for Mai as those words left Megumi's mouth. In all her years of being at this school, she couldn't recall a single time in which a normal student ever addressed her with the proper honorifics. She was touched, so much so that she started to shed tears of joy. 

 

    "Of course!" She nodded, wiping the tears from her face, and just like that, the two were officially 'best friends', and right on time too, for the bell had just rung signaling the end of lunchtime. However, that reminded Megumi about the fact that she didn't get to eat, further solidified by the gurgling in her stomach. Hearing this Mai, started to extremely feel guilty for taking up so much of her time. 

 

    "I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to use up all of your lunch breaks!" She apologized. There was no way she could have planned for so many obstacles to get in her and Megumi's way. 

 

    "It's OK I'll manage somehow." She laughed it off and began walking Mai to her next class. This not only helped Megumi get a better feel of the school but allowed her to see if any people of interest could help their cause. Sadly, as the two had finally got to class Megumi failed to notice any particular, or interesting people. 

 

    "Thanks for walking me to class! We should meet up after school?" She asked looking at the club creation form once again a smile forming on her face from the anticipation. Seeing how excited she was to get this committee off the ground there was no way she could decline.

 

    "I'd love to." She nodded and waved goodbye as she left Mai's class to head to her own. As she walked Megumi managed to accumulate quite the crowd of flirtatious boys as on her way there. However, the word flirtatious barely existed in Megumi's dictionary and all the pickup lines, and compliments that were thrown her way amounted to nothing as she just assumed all of them were trying to be her friend. As much as she appreciated the compliments she needed to get to class one way or another and all these boys were not helping. 

 

    "I'm truly sorry, but I've gotta get to class!!" She yelled pushing through the crowd and sprinting towards her class (watching her step on the way of course). Even with the interruption, she made it on time. Collapsing onto her desk she looked up at the ceiling. 'Talk about déjà vu…' she thought, remembering the day she received that fated message that sent her to his school in the first place.

 

    "I swear, I'll make a change!!" She mumbled loudly thrusting her fist into the air

 

    "The hell are you doin'?" She asked, confused by Megumi's sudden outburst. From the one conversation, the two of them had Furyu had enough reason to act all 'buddy-buddy' with her. Knowing this Megumi thought it'd be best to keep up the act till she was able to recruit her. 

 

    "What's it to ya'. Why don't stay out of my business, and stop actin' all friendly to me!" She glared at her, silently hoping she wouldn't be offended by what she was saying. 

 

    "Yeah, sure!" She laughed patting her on the back. "You can drop the act by the way." She put her hand on her shoulder, ready to explain how she knew of her act and the one thing that gave her away.

    "How did you know??" Megumi asked, in shock. As far as she knew she played the delinquent role perfectly. 

 

    "It's pretty obvious, considerin' how desperately you were running to get to class on time. Also…you look nothin' like a delinquent!" She yelled pointing at her frilly white bow and well-kept uniform. In Megumi's mind, just the act alone made her feel so much like a delinquent she never once considered that there may be a few things that could kinda give her away.

 

    "Ha...ha you found me out. But, if you knew I was lying, why are you acting so comfortable around me?" If she knew that Megumi wasn't a delinquent like her then she wouldn't have had a reason to be friendly towards her. 

 

    "What's it to ya'. Why don't you stay out of my business…" She laughed mocking what she said earlier. Furyu was embarrassed to say the real reason so she just came up with something basic. "You seem like a chill person, so I don't hafta worry about ya'. And anyways you should probably stop talking to me and pay attention to the lesson, Ms.Committed Student Delinquent. Also, quiet that stomach of yours it’s annoying." She laughed once more, before handing her a small protein bar she was saving. 

 

    'Well, I guess that's that…' Megumi smiled and swiftly ate the protein bar. Once she was done, she opened her notebook only to be shocked as she saw an assortment of graffiti and insults poorly written inside. Noticing this Rentaro, who was sitting nearby decided to console her. 

 

    "That sucks, but don't let it get to you." He whispered to her, hoping that she wouldn't be too sad about the hostility that was being directed towards her, however, she didn't care about a bunch of girls who had nothing better to do than scribble on someone else's notebook. It was gonna take a lot more than that to bring her down.

 

    "You don't have to worry about me! I'm way too optimistic to let clichéd bullying affect me! The real question is who did this…" She put her hand on her chin and thought about what kind of person would stoop so low as to bully a person that they didn’t even know. As far as Megumi remembered she didn't do anything that'd invoke such, harsh treatment. 

 

    "It doesn't necessarily have to be a single person. The girls in this school can be pretty ruthless towards transfer students like you, and the fact that you've attracted the attention of most of the guys makes you an even bigger target. But, you really shouldn't worry about it too much, it's not like they could do anything to you.” He gave her a thumbs up and the two of them went back to focusing on the lesson like many of the other students. However, many of the guys were focused on a more pressing matter that needed to be addressed...

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please comment! Next chapter may or may not be delayed due to Pokémon, apologies in advance. Updates are always posted on https://twitter.com/RandomInterWeeb so be sure to check me out there. As always special thanks to @LabbaArt for collaborating with me and allowing me to use his universe.