- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Backstory

Memoirs of a Goddess

My name is Cassandra Moldova and I used to be just like you, Mortal. I stand at roughly 5’6” naturally, Hazel eyes and long slightly curled brunette hair that I am proud of. I was born into a broken home, My mother barely tried to raise me and I was denied all of the freedoms one would expect of a child. The only thing my mother gave me was the location. We lived in the largest city on Pyraxi Prima, A metropolis of opportunity by many metrics. I pulled myself through the education system with a single-minded ambition to escape the circumstances of my birth. I took a part-time job at a prestigious salon, The opulent customers serving to drive my ambition to one day be like them, no longer serving but being served. Through my teenage years I sacrificed all social activities to pursue academic accolades, I succeeded. A full scholarship in mechanical engineering, It was the only way I was ever going to get into a University and I had earned it. That’s where it all fell apart, My supervisor was a lecherous pervert and my student fellows resented my ‘free’ pass through the very expensive course. Combine this with my already defiant nature and something was destined to go wrong, I lashed out, With a power tool. Suffice to say I was swiftly removed from academic life, My part-time job became my full time one and my outlook started to look incredibly bleak. I serviced the wealthy clientele with growing resentment, I wanted what they had, I knew I had the talent. Naturally gifted, that's what they called me, a magician with my hands. It wasn’t enough, I could be the best nail artist in the city and it wouldn’t mean anything. That's when I decided to tribute myself. The Goddess was a known force in the world, She was power incarnate and now my future had been snatched from me, becoming a tribute to the Goddess seemed like the last shot at meaning.
   The day came where I was to present myself, I was naked and ready to be a tribute when I was whisked away against my will, forced back into my old life for one final service. Little did I know at the time that Goddess Charlotte herself had been a regular customer of mine, She had chosen me before I was able to truly give myself to her. I later learned that nearly all tributes to Charlotte ended up dead without much notice being taken. Being singled out by Charlotte was the single most important thing to happen to me in all of my long life. I was pressed into her service as a Handmaiden, along with Sarah, whom I would now call my closest friend. In the beginning, we were closer to rivals however, The Goddess would take great pleasure in putting us at odds with each other. Sometimes the punishments were painful, other times nearly lethal. Goddess Charlotte had no regards for mortal life, Mine included. Every task was life or death, every flick of her wrist a potential death sentence. Fear was the guiding principle that underpinned everything me and Sarah did in service to her. I done some truly horrible things in service to Charlotte, she taught me the value of mortal life and it is her lessons that still resonate with me today. Worthless, Insignificant, Amusements, The three guiding words that shaped my view of the universe in service to the Goddess. Sarah was always more empathetic than me, on some level she always cared for the various mortals we extinguished. When your mistress is the Goddess of everything however you don’t let personal feelings stop you from stuffing those mortals with herbs and slowly roasting them.
  I served at Charlotte’s pleasure for thousands of years, She gifted me immortality in exchange for eternal devoted service. Over the years I witnessed atrocities on a universal scale and my perception over existence itself changed to reflect the reality. She was the only thing that actually mattered, Her will was our reality and she was cruel. Still, I was glad to apart of it, proud to be part of the only true power in creation. Then it got messy. Our Goddess in her divine wisdom had finally tired of being the all-powerful ruler and seemingly without much consideration, ‘Ascended’ herself. Knowing what I know now, I am certain it was an act of pure suicide. As she left the universe she gifted me and the others in her service with divine providence to rule in her stead. Seven Goddesses to maintain the universe she had dominated for thousands of years. Naturally, it all very quickly fell apart. I had finally gained the power I had been craving, The Stellar Mechanic, Goddess of Wisdom. The universe itself sprawled before me and I was free to bend it to my image. Then Sarah stepped in and asked me to back her in stopping me and others from indulging in our pent up power fantasies. Sarah had been ascended into a position of leadership and as my friend, I chose to respect her authority, stepping into line behind her. The first few months of being a Goddess were a stressful nightmare, The universe seemed to constantly try and kill itself. At the time I had no clue how Charlotte had managed to maintain such vast infinity without going completely mad. It took my solar cycles of observation and study before I found the rhythm of the universe, matching it to my pulse allowed me to control it as simple as breathing. Once I had my domain under control, everything else came crashing down as my new sisters struggled with there's.
  We fought and argued and I was certain our universe would implode from the immaturity of my sisters. I was guilty of some indulgence as well, I was loving being a Goddess. It was Sarah who finally broke it all, Divinity never really fit her and the constant bickering between those she was meant to oversee had worn her down. She fled into her own pocket of time to live out a mortal existence. None of us saw the danger, I pulled her out but it was too late. Theia, my sister, Goddess of Time and Destiny gave her life holding the universe together as the strands of time fought to rip themselves apart. As Theia died, her power lashed out, stealing the divinity from two of my sisters before we could contain it. This was nearly five hundred years ago and now it is my turn to reflect as Charlotte once did. Sarah has not been seen in years, her daughter Hannah is seeking a new Goddess of Destiny and Alyssa sealed the doors to her chambers nearly a hundred years ago and has not been seen since. My loving sister Arianna has barely any power left to her, spending her days answering prayers where she can. This has left me alone and incredibly bored. Voyeurism is the curse of divinity, watching the mortals live out there lives from afar with curiosity and apathy. It has taken me thousands of years, trillions of mortal deaths and the universe nearly imploding but I finally see why my friend Sarah wants to live among them. The desire for companionship is powerful, powerful enough to sway the gods themselves.

Chapter End Notes:

As an author I am a bit lost, Not sure where I want to focus my efforts.