- Text Size +
The Greater Good: Chapter 8 The Greater Good
a Phantasy Star story
Chapter 8: The Best Laid Plans
by Grey-X

Disclaimer: The original Phantasy Star games, the Phantasy Star Online series, and all related characters are the creation and property of Sega.

This is a story that was completed on 3-21-2007, and I'm now adding to this archive.


Night had finally fallen on the spaceport directly south of Paseo, the first Palman city set up on Motavia. When Palmans had first began travelling to Motavia in spaceships and started setting up colonies, Paseo was set up as an experimental city, to see whether such colonization was possible. Thus, the spaceport was always busily managing incoming and outgoing travel ever since Paseo was established over 150 Palman years ago.

However, beacuse of Lassic's recent reign of tyranny, the spaceport's activity had been slowed drastically. Since only those with passports and people on official business could use the spaceport, business just wasn't what it used to be. Nevertheless, providing Paseo with supplies from Palma was still necessary, and the people fortunate enough to find jobs at the spaceport still had days and nights with plenty of work to look forward to. This had proven to be one of those days, and now that it was nightfall, those workers who weren't scheduled to clock out prepared themselves for another long, dreary, busy night. They believed that tonight would be no different from any other.

They were about to be proven dead wrong.

As the security personnel began their nightly patrols and the overnight workers were busily coordinating arrivals and departures, some of them were vaguely aware of a low rumbling noise. Those that did quickly dismissed it, but then it continued, and steadily grew louder and louder. Soon the noise became so pronounced it could no longer be ignored, and the spaceport's workers began to look about nervously, anxiously trying to figure out what the noise was and where it was coming from.

They got their answer soon enough.

Wasting no time, Alis Landale climbed up onto the main platform of Paseo's spaceport, then rose to her full height of over 150 feet, her head almost level with even the spaceport's tallest buildings and towers. All the people on the platform nearby, and all the people in the buildings close to her, screamed and ran like mad when they finally saw Alis. Alis once again felt mortified about causing fear and panic like that, not to mention a little guilty for what she had to do here, but she knew she couldn't let that hold her up. She had to finish her business here and get moving as quickly as possible, so Wren would have everything ready by sunrise tomorrow.

Shaking her head, Alis slowly walked forward, into the heart of the spaceport, all the while looking down to make sure she didn't accidently step on anyone. She had to strain her eyes, though, despite the lighting provided by the towers. However, she saw that she had come across some people soon enough. Several people were standing nearby, looking up at her nervously, their faces showing nothing but awe. Judging from the pistols they had drawn and their outfits, Alis guessed they must have been security guards. They didn't pose any serious threat, but it wouldn't do to have them taking potshots at her if they ever got over their fear. However, she had no desire to hurt these people. They were just normal people, not flunkies of Lassic, and were just trying to make it by in these inconceivably harsh times.

And so, Alis lifted one foot and brought it crashing down near the security guards. Her foot easily smashed through the concrete, and the shockwave she created knocked all the guards off their feet. "All of you out of here, NOW!" she bellowed, so loudly that the windows of the nearby buildings rattled. "I won't hurt anyone as long as you stay OUT OF MY FACE!"

All the guards got the hint. They screamed and scattered, bolting away from the giantess as fast as they could. Alis sighed and shook her head again. She didn't enjoy doing that. Being a towering giantess had long since lost its appeal, now that she'd realized it didn't mean she was all-powerful...and that her heady sense of power was part of the reason her friends were all in danger again.

But she didn't allow herself to dwell too much on that and kept moving, looking around anxiously for what Wren said she needed to steal. She looked down at all the ships that had landed, but then realized it would be too hard for her to determine which ships had what she needed; to her, they all looked like model kits she built as a child.

Luckily for her, she soon found someone who could tell her what she needed. Near the landing gear of one of the larger spaceships, Alis spotted a young woman, who, judging from her work clothes, was some sort of engineer or mechanic. Alis quickly knelt down and reached for her before she had a chance to run away. Of course, she tried, but in her mad haste to flee she tripped and fell flat on her face, and the next thing she knew, Alis's fingertips were clamped around her middle and she was quickly being lifted into the air.

Alis looked the terrified engineer straight in the eyes, hoping that she wasn't too traumatized to answer her. "Alright, what's the smallest ship you've got in this spaceport with a class Y7 fusion engine!?" Alis demanded. The woman writhed and squirmed in her grip, shrieking at the top of her lungs. Alis shook her head impatiently, then said, "Listen, I'll let you go once you've answered me! Now WHICH SHIP HAS WHAT I NEED!?"

For a brief moment, the engineer stared up wide-eyed at Alis's huge face, still scared out of her mind. But luckily for both of them, reason finally took over. She looked back down at the runways and pointed to a ship that was quite a bit smaller than the commercial spaceships usually serviced by the spaceport; like the commercial ships, it had an orange-red tint, but it was shaped similarly to the Luveno, and it was just a little bit bigger than her ship. Alis looked back down at the engineer and smiled. "Thank you so much. Now I suggest you get going," Alis said, then carefully lowered her back down to the ground. The instant her feet touched the runway and Alis let go, she took off faster than a crazed were-bat.

Ugh, the sooner this is over with, the better, Alis thought with a sigh as she watched the engineer run like crazy. She walked through the fleet of grounded spaceships, careful not to accidently knock them over with her huge feet and damage them; she wasn't here to wreck the place, just get what she needed and leave. That, and one other thing....

Alis bent over, reached down and carefully picked up the ship the engineer had pointed out with both hands, not wanting to drop it and damage the engine. She carefully tucked it underneath her arm and started to stand back up, but before she could, she felt sharp burning sensations sting her butt.

"Oww!" she exclaimed as she looked behind her. Robotcops and Androcops from the governor's mansion in Paseo had finally arrived, vainly trying to bring her down. Excellent! They've finally come! she thought jubilantly. If they were here, everything was going according to plan. But she didn't let her excitement show. Alis promptly stood up and turned around as she rubbed her butt, glaring down at the killing machines. "Try and make me take it up the ass, will you!? Eat this, miserable little insects!"

Alis didn't bother unsheathing her sword or using her magic, not with something so important as the purloined ship to hang onto. Instead, she lashed out in a far more satisfying manner. She took one step forward, raised her foot, and slammed it down onto the runway, flattening at least half a dozen Robotcops. She kept doing that again and again, until finally none of the pesky machines remained, and she had left several boot-shaped craters in the runway. And out the corner of her eye, she saw that she had left a trail of boot-shaped indentations in the concrete, just by walking across it. Ugh, am I really THAT heavy? she wondered. Like all girls, she was a little self-conscious about her weight, and now that she weighed at least hundreds, if not thousands, of tons....

A sound like that of a rocket quickly made Alis forget about her weight problems. She turned in the direction of the noise, and saw just what she had hoped: Wren, flying thanks to the rocket-powered flight pack Leli had built directly into his systems. And being held securely in his arms was Tarzimal; he looked exhausted, dreary and weak, scarcely aware of what was going on. But he was alive, and free.

It worked! Alis thought happily. Everything had gone as planned. While she caused pandemonium at the spaceport, creating a diversion and goading the Robotcops stationed in Paseo to come and investigate, Wren was able to slip into the governor's mansion where Tarzimal was held prisoner and free him. Out loud, Alis said, "OK, Wren, let's beat it! We've got work to do!" Wren merely nodded in approval, and flew after Alis as she walked back the way she came, jumping off the spaceport's platform. She landed on the sand with a deafening boom, the pilfered ship still securely held under her arm.

Once she was on the ground, Wren flew over to her and landed on her shoulder. "We had best get moving, before any reinforcements arrive," he suggested.

Alis said nothing, but merely did what Wren suggested and briskly ran southward, careful not to drop the spaceship or throw Wren and Tarzimal off her shoulder. Wren may be horribly dull, but so far he's come through for me, Alis thought, finally deciding she could rely on Leli's fighting machine. And right now, he was the ONLY one she could count on, save for maybe Tarzimal. She was anxious to get far enough away from Paseo, so that she could talk to him and explain the situation.

Finally, Alis made it to the edge of the field of antlions. Deciding that they had gone far enough, Alis sat down and gently plucked Wren, who was still holding onto Tarzimal, off of her shoulder. Wren carefully had Tarzimal sit down in the palm of Alis's outstretched hand. "Tarzimal?" she whispered, not wanting to blow out his eardrums. But the aged Esper hardly stirred. Something was definitely wrong wih him. Had he almost been tortured to death? "Tarzimal, talk to me," she spoke up again, a little more loudly this time.

Tarzimal finally looked up at her, staring at her with glazed eyes. "So, it looks like my little invention worked," he croaked weakly. It looked like he managed a weak smile as well.

Alis smiled back. "Yeah, it did. Ingenious little thing. But why did you build something like that?"

"I'm always dabbling and tinkering with something, having so much spare time on my hands nowadays," said Tarzimal. "And as for that lamp, I had always wondered if the properties of the Laerma Nut could be harnessed in such a way. And there was...." His voice trailed off, as if uncertain of what to say next.

"And what?" Alis prodded.

"I just had a feeling, a premonition of sorts, that it would help you in some way should you come back. Perhaps as a means of...letting you learn something," he replied.

Yeah, I've certainly learned something. To stop being such an arrogant, overconfident bitch, Alis thought guiltily. Out loud, she said. "Well, let's forget about all that for now. We've got more serious problems." And so, Alis proceeded to explain to Tarzimal about how the Assassin had captured her friends and taken his lamp. Tarzimal was silent to whole time Alis was talking, and she hoped that was because he was thinking of something else they could do to thwart the Assassin.

But unfortunately, Tarzimal remained silent for a moment after Alis was done talking, still having that defeated, glassy look in his eyes. Eventually, though, he shook his head, his body language betraying a profound sense of sorrow. "I am sorry, my dear, but there will be no way I can help you," he finally said, sounding defeated.

Alis stared down at him, mouth agape. "How can you say that!?" she demanded, forgetting to speak softly. "Your old student is in danger! And we have to get your lamp back! How can you say there's nothing you can do!?"

Tarzimal gaed into Alis's huge eyes with a sad look. "If I could, child, I would. However, I simply have no time left. Within moments, I will have passed on."

Alis's jaw dropped again. "P-Passed o-on?" she stammered, unwilling to accept what she just heard. "Why are...how is...wh-what d'you...?"

"It is because I knew that I was going to be taken to Lassic to be interrogated, and I couldn't take the risk of him wresting the knowledge of the whereabouts of other Espers from me," said Tarzimal weakly. "Espers know of a special meditative discipline in which one can cause one's own nervous system to go haywire and shut down, and that is what I've done, beliveing I had no hope. I suspect within monents, all my autonomic functions will stop."

No, it can't be! I was too late! Alis thought disbelievingly, her mind nearly paralyzed with grief. She was so determined to save Tarzimal, to reunite him with Noah, and he had doomed himself well before she and Wren had gotten to him, all because they hadn't found him sooner!

Alis stared down at the dying old man in the palm of her hand, unable to think of a word to say. Tarzimal, however, spoke up again. "But...it is fortunate that you freed me at the last possible moment, Alis. There is one thing you must know, before I die: this was your destiny, to undertake this quest. I have known it since you were but a baby."

Alis stared at him blankly, nonplussed. What was he babbling about now? Tarzimal continued. "The first time you came, when I tested N-Noah...I did not believe you were ready to see this. B-Believed you c-couldn't handle the knowledge. But s-since I have no time left, I have n-no choice. Please, my child, bring me closer...up to your face."

Alis nodded obediently and lowered her head toward him, still not sure what all this was about. From the look on Wren's face, he didn't understand either. "Close e-enough, so I can touch your forehead," squeaked Tarzimal. Alis lowered her head even more, and then she felt a tiny hand gently brush against her forehead....

A cold chill went up and down Alis's spine as her vision became nothing but a blur of swirling colors. The icy numbness took her by surprise and overwhelmed her so much, she had no idea how long she stayed like that, unable to see, unaware of whatever was around her. But luckily, the blurry vision faded away and some feeling slowly returned to her, but what came into view was drastically different from Motavia's desert landscape.

Where she stood now, what she saw...it looked exactly like the decor of the governor's mansion. Alis's mind flipped when the fullness of it sunk in. Wait a minute! I'm normal-sized again!? she thought, now beyond confused. From the looks of things, she was back to her original height...actually, it seemed she was a little shorter than before. Then she realized that she was walking, but somehow, it was against her will. As if her body was moving on its own!

What's going on!? What did Tarzimal do!? she thought panickingly as her body continued to move on its own. Eventually, she came to the end of a long hallway, approaching an ornate double door with polished, silvery mirrors worked into it. After a quick look into the mirrors, Alis felt like she'd have a heart attack.

The reflection staring back at her was not her own, but that of Tarzimal's. As if she now inhabited his body.

WHAT IN THE NAME OF ALGO IS GOING ON!? she thought furiously, wanting to scream. But the body she was in did not respond to her wishes, but merely opened the double door and entered the room beyond. Several people were standing inside, a young, blue-haired haired boy who looked about two or three (whom she though looked remarkably like Nero would have at that age), and a middle-aged couple whom she guessed were the boy's parents. And there was a man she recognized instantly: the governor of Paseo. Though, after giving it a second's thought, he looked much younger than the man she met weeks ago. His hair had not yet started to grey, and profound wrinkles had not yet become etched in his features. Alis also noticed the governor was holding a tiny baby with short, brown hair, a girl from the looks of it....

"Greetings, governor," Alis heard herself say, and Tarzimal's voice came out of her mouth. "From the looks of things, I suppose you've decided to take my advice."

"Yes, well, you've never steered me wrong before, Tarzimal, even when I thought your advice was absolutely insane. I've come to trust your counsel," said the governor, sounding a little anxious. "I confess, though, I am reluctant to give her up. I've become quite attached to Aures's little girl. I hate to see her go."

"I know you do," said Tarzimal, "but I fear you must. For weeks I've had disturbing premonitions, odd feelings, dreams...I have come to realize that the princess is not safe here anymore. This is a child of destiny, and I am sure she will be important to the future of our world. She must be hidden away, until the time is right to tell her of her birthright."

Birthright? That baby is a princess? thought Alis. She listened attentively as the two men kept talking, still not sure what was going on.

"I wonder though, does this have anthing to do with your concern of the minister becoming the king after Aures's passing?" asked the governor.

"Hmmm, partly. I'm afraid I still don't trust him completely," said Tarzimal.

"Why not? I've known Reipard Lassic for many years, and he's a kind, honorable man. Why do you distrust him so?"

Kind and honorable!? LASSIC!? If she could have, Alis would've snorted in disgust.

Tarzimal went on. "It's just that...I sense strong feelings of fear and doubt within him. We all know he fears growing old, and the uncertainty of taking on his best friend's duties as king could lead him to make hasty, unwise decisions. His program to create police forces comprised of androids, for instance...."

"Well, urm, I'm sure he'll adapt to his role as provisional king soon enough," said the governor evasively. "Now then, here's the family I've selected as her caretakers...very dear and trusted friends of mine. They share the same surname as Aures, so no one will suspect that the Alis that will grow up with them is actually the beloved baby daughter of our late king. May I introduce the Landales, Tarzimal?"

Those last two sentences completely blew away Alis's mind. What was this, some actual memory of Tarzimal's she was reliving through his eyes!? If so, when was this...almost eighteen years ago!? Was that baby in the governor's arms actually...HER!?

Tarzimal shook hands with the blue-haired boy's father as the governor reluctantly handed the baby girl over into the woman's waiting arms. She then slowly lowered the baby so that her son good get a good look at her. "Say hi, Nero. She's going to be your new baby sister," she said.

Once again, Alis felt her whole world, everything she thought she knew for sure, go topsy-turvy. So that baby WAS her! Nero wasn't actually her brother after all...she was really a princess, the rightful heir to the ENTIRE ALGO SYSTEM!?

Suddenly, out the corner of her eye (or rather, Tarzimal's eye), Alis saw another young boy slowly approach her younger self, someone she didn't even realize was there. Another boy with blue-hair, only he looked much older than Nero, and his hair was long and almost feminine-looking. He wore fluttering white robes and strange, golden gauntlets. He shyly walked up to Alis's younger self, looking at her curiously.

"You'll see her again too, Lutz, I'll wager. I'm sure that you'll get the chance to serve our future queen as a full-fledged Esper, my pupil," Tarzimal said to the boy.

Wait a minute, that kid looks familiar. That hair.... Alis wondered. Then it clicked. Hold on, is this NOAH when he was a boy!? Why did Tarzimal call him 'Lutz'?

Before Alis could dwell on that, Tarzimal's view suddenly shifted to the ones who became her foster family. "Take good care of little Alis, please," he said to them. "Love her as if she were your own flesh and blood. For one day, I hope and I fear, she will come to the aid of all of Algo...."

And then, just as the whole weird experience had begun, a soul-withering chill flowed through every fiber of her being, and her vision became a distorted blur once again. Just as before, though, the fuzzy, blurry vision soon cleared and the chills subsides. When Alis was aware of her surroundings again, she found herself just as she was before, sitting down on the cold sands of Motavia, with Wren and Tarzimal securely held in the palm of her hand.

However, there was now an important difference. Tarzimal's eyes were closed and he was no longer moving at all.

"I am sorry, Alis. Tarzimal is dead. It appears his claim about shutting down his autonomic functions at will was truthful. There is no chance of reviving him," said Wren apologetically, confirming the chilling thought that made Alis feel as if her heart had been hollowed out. It was true. Tarzimal may have done this by choice, but still, as far as Alis was concerned, this was her failure.

"I assume you will want to give him a proper burial before tomorrow morning's battle," Wren said suddenly. Alis looked down at him, surprised that a machine would mention such a thing. Alis merely nodded. "I understand," said Wren as he lifted Tarzimal's dead body, as if to make sure nothing happened to it before Alis could bury him. "By the way, I noticed that for a few moments, your frontal lobes, hippocampus and amygdala all showed signs of hyperstimulation. Exactly what was it that Tarzimal did?" Wren asked curiously.

Alis carefully regarded Wren for a moment, wondering if she should bother answering him. At length, she merely said, "He just showed me something. Something I need to think about."

"Very well. Anyway, though I understand Tarzimal's death must have been difficult to watch, we must get moving." Once again, Alis just nodded. She slowly stood up, and Wren used his rocket pack to return to Alis's shoulder. She started walking back to the cave, carefully walking across the conical pits of antlions, her heart heavy and her mind reeling with questions she had no answers for.


For over an hour, Alis remained squatted outside the eastern entrance to her cave, Motavia's three moons providing the only light, and it was far too little to penetrate the darkness and misery that threatened to engulf Alis. She stared down at the ground, looking at the tiny mound at her feet, which was surrounded by stones she had picked off the mountainside. It was a very crude grave, Alis knew. She didn't have any wood to make a cross, didn't have the means of carving out a proper headstone, and she wouldn't ask Wren to do it because he was far too busy with his preparations for tomorrow's showdown with the Assassin. But he deserved something, at least, Alis thought sorrowfully, tears threatening to well up as she stared at the Esper's makeshift grave. A man like Tarzimal, I have to honor him, his sacrifices, in any way I can.

And then, anger mingled with her sorrow as she thought of who was responsible for all her recent troubles. You'll pay, I swear it, Alis silently vowed. Kidnapping everyone for use as hostages, making it so Tarzimal had no choice but to do this...come tomorrow, you'll sorely regret giving me this one chance.

This wasn't the first time her heart was filled with such hate. It was all too familiar to her. It was the same with Nero's death. Just like when Nero was murdered, she felt so felt completely lost and alone, left to fend for herself against an enemy that seemed to exist only to spread suffering and strife, leaving her with an insatiable desire for revenge.

Revenge, huh? Alis thought, doubting that need for the first time. Noah's earlier lectures came back to her all of a sudden. At the time, she had brushed him off, believing he was being too naive and soft. But now, after everything that had happened, everything she had learned, she wondered if maybe he had a point. Perhaps letting oneself be overwhelmed by such hatred wasn't the way to go. It led to rash decisions, left you blind to other things that needed to be done....

Then Alis's thoughts drifted back to the memory Tarzimal had planted in her head. It was still fresh in her mind, the sight of herself as a baby, Noah and Nero barely two years old, and all that talk about her having some sort of destiny.

And is this it? Alis wondered. Was it really my destiny to liberate the Algo system? And do I really have to...become the queen? The thought of carrying such responsibility scared her. I never wanted to be a queen. I never wanted to rule Algo, just overthrow Lassic. But...do I really have a responsbility to take his place? As she thought about it, she realized Noah was right before. Killing Lassic wouldn't solve everything, and someone would have to try to maintain order afterwards. And did that have to be her? I guess Noah was right all along. It's not just about avenging myself against Lassic, it's also about undoing the damage he's caused. But can I really do that? Even if I can kill him, can I really take his place and fix everything?

Alis looked down at Tarzimal's grave again. "Is that why you didn't show me that memory before? Did you think the weight of that responsibility would scare me, or maybe that I was too obsessed with revenge to think about anything else?" she asked, as if the Esper could hear her wherever he was now.

"Alis?" asked a voice suddenly, making her jump. But it wasn't Tarzimal's. Alis slowly turned to the side and looked down to see Wren at her feet, looking up. Alis couldn't make out his facial expression in the dark, but she knew it'd probably be unreadable anyway.

"What?" Alis asked tersely, not wanting to be bothered.

"I understand how difficult Tarzimal's death must be, but is it imperative that you get as much rest as you can before dawn," said the android.

"Alright. Fine," Alis said shortly. And how can YOU understand how I feel? From what I heard, you weren't even broken up when your creator died, she silently added. But she stared down at the android for a moment. Despite his cold demeanor, he was all she had right now, the only one to confide in....

"Is there something the matter?" asked Wren, correctly guessing that something was on Alis's mind.

Since Alis could barely hear Wren, she bent down closer so that her head practically hovered over the android. "I'm wondering...is it true that Leli built you just so I'd have an extra ally? She really had faith in me, after hearing only rumors?"

"She did. Leli was inspired by the stories that one person was willing to stand against Lassic, and wished to do whatever she could to help. She also felt partially guilty because her father aided in the designing and manufacturing of the most recent line of Robotcops, and wished to create a different kind of fighting machine."

This revelation about Dr. Mad surprised Alis, but all Alis could do was ask, "A 'different kind'?"

"Yes. Robotcops were made for purely killing and terrorizing. It was Leli's wish that I fight to defend lives instead, rather than take them," Wren explained. "And regrettable though it may be, sometimes it is necessary to fight in order to defend life, and this is one of those times. That is why, even if I was not programmed to obey your orders, I would fight of my own free will."

Yet again, Alis was genuinely surprised by Wren's revelations. So he was truly different from other battle robots, possessing a will of his own, and a genuine desire to fight to defend lives? "S-So, you sort of feel it's your purpose in life?" she asked tentatively, frowning.

"Indeed I do," said Wren simply. He looked up at her again, with a look that could actually be described as heartfelt concern. "Is there anything else?"

Alis shook her head. "No, it's just that...I've learned I was kinda born for a purpose too, kinda like you," she replied. Wanting to stave off any more awkward questions, she then said, "Alright Wren, I'll get some sleep. Just make sure you have those modifications to that ship done by dawn." And with that, Alis got on her hands and knees, and squeezed her oversized frame into the mouth of the cave, both anxiously awaiting and dreading whatever would happen at sunrise.


Thankfully, Alis slept soundly and dreamlessly all night, and felt surprsingly refreshed when Wren flew up to her ear to wake her. At least he wasn't distracted by the view like Noah was, Alis had thought. But then that memory instantly reminded her of what awaited, and what was at stake. I'll get you back, Noah. As much as I hate to admit it, I kinda miss you staring at me and that dorky look in your eyes, she had thought.

When Wren had woken Alis, he informed her, in his usual dull, matter-of-fact manner, that she had approximately one hour and 47.63 minutes until the sun rose. His meaning was clear: it was high time they were on their way. And so, Alis headed straight west for Uzo, where, after inadvertently causing a panic yet again, Wren and Alis parted ways for the time being, leaving Alis to make the long trek to the totaled factory alone. She found herself immediately missing Wren's company. Once again, she felt completely alone and helpless, stomping across the sandy expanse with only her brooding thoughts to accompany her.

Alis tried to judge how far she had already walked, based on how she had made the same trip yesterday. She looked over the horizon, hoping to spot the factory she had taken out. She smiled, remembering how easily she had utterly decimated it, and looked forward to wiping out the Assassin just as easily. And at least I won't have to put up with any pesky machines this time. That is, if Wren's idea works. And it'd better, Alis thought. She looked up into the Motavian sky; two of the planet's three moons could still be seen, and the whole sky was tainted with a creepy, orange-red color...the same color as the ship she had acquired at Paseo's spaceport. She strained her eyes, hoping to see something, anything. But she knew it would be too high in the atmosphere by now to make out. At least, it'd better be. I haven't felt or noticed anything, yet. Come on, Wren, it's almost time....


High above the surface of Motavia, roughly twenty miles up, was the Luveno, having taken off from Uzo moments before. Wren sat in what would've been considered the pilot's seat, only the other artificial intelligence on board, the robot Hapsby, was in total control. Wren did possess a rudimentary sense of what could be considered pride and emotion; he had been purposely programmed that way by Leli, so as to truly make him far, far different from the Robotcops. He only seemed cold and uncaring because he did let such things interfere with his duties and his decision-making. However, just like Alis, he found that entrusting the piloting of the Luveno to such a simple robot, one far inferior to him, was quite vexing, to say the least.

But Wren managed to push such interfering, unnecessary feelings aside and focus on the data being displayed on the console before him. He had to pull this off at just the right time, when the conditions were just right, and give Hapsby just enouh time to get them out of harm's way. But he knew that time had to come soon. Wren had no doubt that Alis was nearing the ruined factory right about then.

Wren closely examined the data again. The atmospheric conditions looked just about right, their altitude was sufficient enough for his plan to have the desired effect, and the immediate area surrounding the totaled factory would be within range. Wren felt the time was right, and punched in a series of commands into the console.

And then, the cables trailing behind the Luveno detached...cables that had been attached to the ship Alis had stolen for him. But not before Wren had sent one final command into that ship's computer banks...one that instructed it to initiate an overload in its fusion engine.

"The overload is now in progress. Ascend as quickly as possible," Wren said flatly. Hapsby merely made clicking and whirring sounds, but Wren could tell the robot was complying and taking the ship into the uppermost reaches of Motavia's atmosphere as quickly as possible. Wren was certain the robot knew that what would happen next would mean certain annihilation for both of them if they were too close when the overload occured....

Wren turned back to the console's monitors, once again watching them closely while Haspby deftly handled the piloting of the ship. He watched with satisfaction when the ship's fusion core finally overloaded and detonated, which would then produce an enormous burst of electromagnetic radiation spreading outward. And once that radiation reached low enough into Motavia's atmosphere, the gamma rays produced interacted with air molecules to give rise to Compton electrons. When they began slowing down, the flux of Compton electrons were deflected by Motavia's magnetic field, spiraling about the magnetic lines of force and radiating their energy across a large area, producing a phenomenon observed on the ground widely known as an electromagnetic pulse.


Noah lay helplessly on the roof of the factory that Alis had obviously taken out of commission the day before, gagged and bound with metal wire conjured by the Assassin. Not too far away from him were Odin and Myau, rendered immobile the same way he was. However, they were still unconscious. Noah envied them. At least they wouldn't have to put up with the mind-numbing fear and anxiety that was currently plaguing him. From what he had gathered while the Assassin had tortured him, she was luring Alis into some sort of ambush, using the three of them as bait. Noah looked around nervously. Standing all around the three of them were Robotcops, and one of them was holding Tarzimal's lamp. And from the factory's roof, he could see scores of landrover-tanks and fleets of fighter ship hovering around, no doubt ready to ambush Alis when she came stomping halfway across Motavia to rescue them.

And she'll come, I know it, thought Noah, simultaneously hoping for and dreading Alis's arrival. She won't stand for being manipulated like this. She'll want to see blood, he realized, remembering how Alis's emotions had been in turmoil as of late, and his attempts to reach her had all failed. He also felt sorrow over the fact that the reason she'd want to rescue HIM in particular wasn't the reason he wished it'd be. Alis saw him as a comrade in arms, a friend at best, not....

Noah's head perked up, suddenly sensing something that felt completely...wrong. As if the very air around him was charged with something that...wasn't supposed to be there. Whatever it was, it made his skin tingle and his fingers and toes suddenly feel prickly, and then numb. What was it that he was sensing? Some form of magic? Or was it something else? Noah looked about again, hoping to spot anything odd.

He immediate knew SOMETHING had happened when he noticed the Robotcop standing next to him suddenly begin to convulse, its head twitching about wildly. A second later, sparks of electricity arced all across its armored body. Noah looked around at the other Robotcops watching over them, and saw that the same thing was happening to them.

What the...what could be doing this? Noah wondered, utterly perplexed. The strange tingling sensation he had felt earlier had passed, but whatever had affected the Robotcops wasn't stopping. Then a loud, crashing thud made Noah look out across the land surrounding the factory. One of the fighter ships had plummeted to the ground, kicking up a huge cloud of sand. And one by one, the rest of the ships followed suit, crashing to the ground as if all their systems had failed. And though Noah had no way of knowing for sure, he was willing to bet all the landrover-tanks had been rendered inert as well.

Alis...this must of been her doing. Somehow, she's found a way to wipe out every mechanical object in the area. But how? Noah thought about it for a moment, trying to figure out what could possibly disable so many machines at once. Soon enough, the answer came to him. An electromagnetic pulse. Somehow, she's set off some sort of explosion high in the atmosphere, wiping out every unshielded electronic component down below with voltage surges! That's what I sensed earlier, since I'm an Esper and more sensitive to that sort of thing!

Noah smiled to himself, finally feeling hopeful. Obviously, Alis's rage hasn't dulled her intelligence! She'll have no trouble now! And as if on cue, Noah suddenly heard a distant thudding sound. Another one immediately followed, and then there was another. The thudding noises continued, and they were progressively getting louder. Noah looked far into the horizon, and saw the faint outline of Alis's massive frame, walking toward them at a brisk pace. Noah's heart leapt once again. Soon, they'd all be safely in her hands yet again....


Alis's heart had long since started thumping wildly in her chest as she drew nearer and nearer to the factory. And when she finally saw it on the horizon, she felt like her heart would explode. What if Wren hadn't detonated the ship and created that electromagnetic pulse by now? What if Wren had run into some unforseen problems? What if Wren was wrong about Lassic's mass-produced war machines not having the proper shielding? What if the Assassin had some other trick up her sleeve? And worst of all, what if her friends were already dead?

But there was nothing she could do but go on ahead and face whatever was coming. She took a deep breath as she half-ran, half-walked, steeling herself for whatever lay ahead.

Soon enough, she came across a row of three landrover-tanks, all their cannons pointed upward at her. Alis instinctively took out her shield and sword, ready for action, but the landrover-tanks did not fire upon her. Alis kept her shield raised, still expecting an attack, but several seconds passed and nothing happened. She then cautiously reached out with her foot and tapped one of the landrover-tanks on the side. It didn't fire, or so much as move. Alis looked ahead, and saw that several fighter ships were laying uselessly in the sand. It was then thhat Alis realized that Wren had set off the electromagnetic pulse as planned, and the electronic components and integrated circuits of every single landrover-tank, fighter ship and Robotcop in the vicinity was toast.

Well, so far so good, Alis thought happily as she looked down at the tanks at her feet again. Just for good measure, she slammed her foot down onto the nearest one, completely flattening it. Then she moved on ahead toward the factory, idly kicking another tank as if were just a ball, sending the seventy-ton war machine flying off into the horizon. She continued heading to the factory, shield and sword still in hand, leisurely kicking aside any other tanks that were in her path. Faint crunching sounds from underfoot let Alis know she was trampling over the inert bodies of Robotcops as well.

At last, Alis had reached the factory, which was still giving off smoke from yesterday's trashing; no doubt some fires were still roaring out of control within. She closely walked around it, looking for any sign of her captive friends. It wasn't long before she spotted them on the roof, bound and gagged. Only Noah seemed to be conscious, and he was looking up at her with an expression she couldn't quite make out. "Don't worry, Noah," she said, softly and reassuringly. "I'll have all of you out of here in no time."

"I'm afraid I can't allow that, Alis," rang out a loud, cold voice. "You and I have unfinished business, after all."

Alis recognized that distorted, disturbing voice instantly. It was the Assassin. Alis whirled around to face the direction of the voice, and once again felt as if her heart would leap out of her chest.

The Assassin had used Tarzimal's lamp on herself, and was now just as gargantuan as she was. Alis had no idea how she had been able to stay hidden all this time at her size, and she didn't waste any time trying to figure it out. Alis slowly approached her, sword and shield at the ready. "I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I kept thinking that you were going to use the lamp on me to reverse the effects once I arrived. Can't believe it never occured to me that you'd use it on yourself," Alis snarled, shaking her head in disbelief.

The eyes staring at Alis from inside that helmet had a mischievious, malicious glimmer. "It's like I vowed when I first saw you emerge at that size. I vowed I'd find a way to fight you on your own terms, to match your new power. And it looks like I have." Alis stared blankly back at this woman who seemed hellbent on making her life miserable, for whatever reason. Just who was she?

Eventually, Alis found her voice again. "Well, yeah, looks like it's just between you and me now. Especially since I took the liberty of wiping out the entire armada you brought along with you," she spat. "Lucky for me that Lassic was so intent on producing as many killing machines as possible, he never bothered to spend some extra money on proper shielding against EMP. Must've never thought someone would be able to steal a fusion-powered ship and set it off that way."

The Assassin's eyes narrowed. "Yes. I must admit that you took ME by surprise as well. When I heard the report that you and the android raided Paseo last night, I couldn't fathom why you stole that ship. It never occured to me that you'd devise such a clever plan. Physics was never your strong suit."

Alis gasped, wondering how the Assassin would know something like that. But she decided not to dwell on hat and keep talking, and hopefully pump some more information out of her before she sliced her apart. "Yeah, well, I actually have Wren to thank for that. He has all of Leli's scientific knowledge, you know. Here's a little tip, Assassin: next time you want an android destroyed, make sure it really IS destroyed before moving on."

"Once again, you're right about that," said the Assassin calmly. "And without that android, it is doubtful you would've found where Tarzimal was held. Small matter, though. Once I'm finished here, I'll find him again and deliver him to Lassic personally.

Alis smiled wickedly. "Not likely. He's dead. He chose a slow, painful suicide over being captured by Lassic. Go back and tell your boss that!"

Alis felt a rush of satisfaction when she heard a low snarl. "Very well. My master will be satisfied when I bring him news of your defeat, should you go through with this. However, I will give you one chance to settle this peacefully, and allow you and your friends to leave here alive."

"What's with the sudden change of heart?" demanded Alis. "I thought you wanted this to be a duel to the death."

"Part of me wishes for that. Another part of me would rather watch you walk away, realizing you had no choice but to give something up," replied the Assassin. "You have something on your person that you must be relieved of. Give it to me, and I will allow you to take your friends and leave."

This sudden change in the Assassin's attitude was getting more and more confusing, but Alis went along. "What, exactly? What is it I have?"

"You have the Aeroprism. I know this because none of your companions had it on them, and that it's been taken from it's hiding place on Dezolis. Take it out and smash it now, and you are free to go."

Alis thought back to when she had found that strange, sallow crystal in that ice dungeon. She still didn't know what exactly it was for, but when she held it, she somehow knew it was endowed with some mysterious power, and had some significant purpose, even though she had no clue what it was. I don't think so. If you want it destroyed that bad, then it must be dangerous for Lassic, she thought resolutely. Out loud, she said, "You really think I'm just gonna hand over something like that to you and walk away, after everything you've done? You kidnapped my friends, killed Wren's creator, forced Tarzimal into committing suicide...forget it, bitch. Besides, as long as you've still got Tarzimal's lamp, I'd be stuck here on Motavia. I won't be happy until I get back to Palma and take out Lassic, with my friends at my side. So YOU'VE got the choice of handing them over peacefully, or me running you through!"

The Assassin let out a soft chuckle. "I should have expected this. You were always a willful, stubborn one, Alis."

"SHUT UP!" snapped Alis hatefully. "Stop acting like you know so much about me! Just who ARE you!? Why are you so obsessed with me!?"

The Assassin stared back at her for several moments, as if she was deciding on something. At last, she said, "Alirght then. You might as well die knowing the truth." The Assassin had one hand firmly grasping her double-ended glaive, but with her other hand, she pulled off her helmet and casually threw it aside.

Over the last two days, during this unfortunate detour to Motavia, Alis had been subjected to what seemed to be an endless series of nasty and sometimes deadly surprises. While walking to the ruined factory, she honestly believed that it would be impossible for her to be so surprised again, paralyzed with shock.

She had just been proved utterly, tragically wrong.

Unnaturally opaque, blue eyes stared back at Alis coldly. Flowing, silvery-white hair blew lazily in the hot, desert wind.

"Dioa," Alis breathed softly, finally managing to say something. She could not believe this. She WOULD not believe this. The Assassin, the new enemy so determined to wreck her life and stop her from overthrowing Lassic, was none other than her old friend Dioa.