- Text Size +
The Greater Good: Chapter 6 The Greater Good
a Phantasy Star story
Chapter 6: Regrouping
by Grey-X

Disclaimer: The original Phantasy Star games, the Phantasy Star Online series, and all related characters are the creation and property of Sega.

This is a story that was completed on 3-21-2007, and I'm now adding to this archive.


Myau stared out the landrover's front window with his jaw wide open, unable to accept what his eyes were telling him. What he was seeing made absolutely no sense...was absolutely impossible! How could such a thing have happened to Alis while they were imprisoned!? How could she have grown so monstrously huge!?

"Myau, tell me I'm seeing things," Odin said softly, who was also staring blankly up at the giantess as well. His normally calm face was now one of mingled fear and confusion.

The musk cat slowly shook his head. "No can do, Odin. I-I see it, too," Myau said uneasily. He continued to watch in disbelief as his gigantic friend reached down to grab another antlion, having finished eating her previous one. Myau gasped as she easily held the powerful creature in one hand, and proceeded to rip off most of its exoskeleton with little effort. "Unbelievable. Those things caused us no end of trouble, and-and now she's strong enough to eat them for breakfast - literally."

"Ack. I don't get HOW she can stand to eat those disgusting things," said Odin, sounding sickened.

"In all likelihood, those antlions are the only plentiful source of nourishment available to her, now that she's grown to this size," said Wren matter-of-factly. Myau envied how the android was able to take all this weirdness so well.

"Why didn't you tell us about this? Leli said you two knew about it!" snapped Odin.

"You never bothered to ask again after we escaped," said Wren calmly.

Myau glared over at Wren, but bit back the retort he longed to fire off. "Well, anyway, we can worry about how this happened to her later. For now, we better let her know we're here, and...."

But Myau's words trailed off as he noticed Alis's head slowly turn in their direction. "Uh, I think she sees us," Odin said uneasily.

The musk cat said nothing in response, noticing something that made him even more apprehensive. He couldn't be sure because of the faint light from Motavia's moons, but Alis's facial expression seemed to be one of anger. "Yeah, and she doesn't look too happy," Myau pointed out. "Maybe we should...."

Myau's voice trailed off again as Alis suddenly stood up, dropping her half-eaten antlion. Then she unsheathed her sword, edging closer to the landrover. A small tremor accompanied each step Alis took. Myau cried out in fear, thinking the giant blade would cleave their vehicle in half any second, but thankfully, Wren was ready. The landrover went into reverse, speeding away from the advancing giantess. "What in the name of the Algo system has gotten into her!?" cried Odin, his voice filled with panic.

"She must think this is an enemy craft," Wren pointed out as he deftly piloted the landrover, turning it around and speeding out of harm's way. "In the darkness, she can't see that this is her own landrover."

"We've got to clue her in, let her know it's us!" Odin cried out. "Maybe if we get out, she'll see that...."

"Weren't you listening!? It's too dark, she can't make us out!" Myau spat. "She's liable to just grind us into the sand underneath her feet!" Myau's own words made him conjure up the nasty mental image of Alis's gigantic white boot rapidly descending toward him, the last thing he'd see being its sole, before being turned into a greasy stain in the sand. Myau shivered at the thought. "Wren, just keep the landrover away from her. We'll have to think of some way to...."

Myau was cut off went a loud booming noise went off in front of them. A shockwave of tremendous force accompanied it, almost causing the landrover to topple over. After getting over the shock, Myau peered up out of the front window again, seeing Alis standing directly in front of them. Evidently, she had jumped over the landrover and landed in front of it. Myau could only let out a whimper as Alis lifted her sword, ready to bring the tip of the blade crashing down onto them.

But just before she would have, something stopped her. Myau strained his eyes, trying to make out Alis's face in the darkness, and it looked as if, for a brief instant, her eyes darted upwards. There seemed to be a surprised look in them as well.

When Alis returned her gaze to the landrover, there was no longer a look of rage in her eyes, only bufuddlement. Then she knelt down, as if to get a better look at the landrover. "What's this...that's the...." she muttered, but even though it looked like she was speaking softly, Myau clearly heard it from inside the landrover.

Alis squinted for a better look. "Alright, whoever's in there, come on out NOW!" She shouted that last word loud enough to make Myau's ears ring.

"Well, at least she'll she it's us," said Odin dryly.

The three of them quickly got out of the landrover. Myau gazed up at Alis nervously, still afraid that she'd squash them flat at any second. He almost yelped out of fear when Alis brough her head lower, squinting again. But after a moment, her expression softened, though she still looked confused. "Myau, Odin...is it really you!?" she asked, her booming voice making the musk cat wince again.

"Uh, yeah Alis, it's us," said Odin, still sounding a bit nervous, which was very unlike him.

Alis squinted again. "And who's this other guy?" she asked, glaring at Wren.

"Uh, long story. But he's on our side," said Myau quickly before Wren could reply.

Alis carefully regarded Wren a while longer, then asked, "And how did you manage to escape? Where were you?"

"That's also a long story," said Odin. "But at least we've managed to regroup now."

"And Alis, if you don't mind my asking...just WHAT in the Algo system HAPPENED TO YOU!?" demanded Myau, wanting to know how this incredible, impossible transformation of hers occured.

Alis smirked. "That's also a long story."

"And where's Noah?" asked Odin.

As if on cue, they suddenly heard a wail of terror coming from the direction of Alis's head. Myau and Odin looked up, and saw what looked like a man falling off from the top of Alis's head. He saved himself by grabbing onto some strands of Alis's long, brown hair. He almost slid down to the very ends of those strands, but his descent stopped just in time. Myau could see him more clearly now: a man with blueish hair and long, white robes.

"Right here," said Alis, still smirking. "Noah, I told you to be careful." She carefully plucked Noah off her hair, then set him down next to the others. "Listen, since we've obviously got a lot to tell each other, I suggest we head back to the hiding place Noah and I found. Then we can decide what to do next."

"Well, sounds good I suppose," said Myau as he looked up at Noah, who looked as if he was about to have a heart attack.

"Then get back in the landrover, all of you," said Alis in a tone that let them know she wouldn't tolerate any dilly-dallying. Myau got the hint and quickly got back in the landrover. Wren, Odin and an extremely wary-looking Noah followed suit.

"What were you doing on Alis's head, anyway?" asked Odin.

"Shut up," snapped Noah.

"Wren, get ready to follow Alis back to wherever she's been hiding," ordered Myau. "And you'd better go full-speed, and...."

But Myau was cut off when the landrover suddenly rocked back and forth, making Odin and Noah almost lose their footing. Myau let out a loud meow in surprise, then saw what was happening out the window. The sandy ground was quickly vanishing, receding from view, as the landrover continued to rock about. Then it felt as if the landrover was moving forward.

"I don't believe that will be necessary," stated Wren. "It appears that Alis is carrying the landrover back to our destination."

"You must have a gift for stating the obvious," said Myau irritably as he intently looked out the window.


It wasn't long before Alis had hauled the landrover back to the cave she had found, along with all the passengers inside it, who she hoped weren't shaken up by the trip too badly. Once again, her strength amazed her; the landrover and the hovercraft combined weighed over twenty tons, but she had hefted both back to her cave with ease.

After carefully setting the landrover down and reheated that boulder to white-hot incandescence, she laid down on the sandy cave floor, her head supported by one arm as she stared down at the others, eagerly awaiting to hear how Myau and Odin had escaped from Lassic's forces, as well as an explanation about who this 'Wren' was.

And so, Myau quickly told Alis about how, when he came to, he found himself and Odin, locked up, and how the Palman girl named Leli had come to the rescue with her robot, Wren. Even though Myau was incredibly small to her now, no bigger than her little toe, Alis could clearly see the anguished look on the musk cat's face when he recalled how Leli had been murdered by that mysterious Assassin, just when it seemed their escape was assured.

Once Myau was done, he immediately asked what made Alis grow so insanely huge. Alis smiled as she began her story, even though it didn't have a happy start. She explained how her growth spurt started as she and Noah were trying to find their way out, then being forced to teleport outside, where Lassic's little armada awaited. Alis giggled as she recalled how easily she wiped out his war machines, then dived into the sandstorm to escape.

"And so, Noah and I rested up in here, and then we planned to go and find you," Alis said once she had finished her story. "But I needed to find something to eat first, so Noah suggested I go for those antlions, and that's when you showed up."

"And nearly killed us," added Myau.

Alis let out a sheepish laugh. "Yeah, sorry about that. It's a good thing Noah noticed that there was a hovercraft on top of it, and that it looked like ours. I honestly thought it was one of Lassic's...."

"Well, luckily, there was no harm done," said Odin.

"And it's even luckier that you just happened to drive up while I was eating," said Alis. "Saved me the trouble of having to track you down. I wouldn't have had any idea where to begin."

"I only wish our escape hadn't come at such a heavy price," said Myau sorrowfully.

The smile vanished from Alis's huge face. "Yeah, sorry to hear about that. She sounded like a real gutsy girl. Wish I had gotten to meet her." Her eyes then darted over to Wren. "And so, this is what she wanted to bring me?" she asked as she glared down at the android. "So, just what's the story with you? You've been awfully quiet so far."

"There's been no need for me to talk. I merely wished to listen to your description of events, so I can better understand our current situation," said Wren blandly. "And right now, it isclear that with your transformation, we now have a major tactical advantage. With any luck, we can put it to good use soon."

Alis glared down at him again. He was right about putting her size to good use, no doubt about that, but she was still apprehensive about allowing this machine to stay, even though she could easily squash him with one finger. "So what Myau's told me is true? You really are here to help me?"

"I was created to help you destroy Lassic," said Wren matter-of-factly. "I have also been programmed to explicitly follow your orders and the orders of any of your allies, in the event that my creator was killed."

Alis leaned closer, bringing her head down even nearer to ther group. If she hadn't known any better, she would've sworn she saw Odin back up nervously. Alis dismissed the notion, and said to Wren, "How can I trust you? Myau told me that Leli was actually Dr. Mad's daughter. How can I be sure this isn't some kind of trick?"

"Beyond the fact that I helped your companions, I suppose there is nothing I can do to prove myself," said Wren without any hint of apprehension, which annoyed Alis. She had hoped she could intimidate Wren, but it seemed as if he truly was a fearless, emotionless machine. And perhaps, since he didn't show any hint of a sense of self-preservation in front of her, maybe he really was meant to follow her orders. "I can only express hope that you will allow me to help you from this point on."

Odin chimed in just then. "And Alis, take it from me, I can tell Leli was dead serious about helping you. She herad stories about you, what you were doing...she idolized you and looked to you for hope, even though she never met you. You have to trust me."

Alis stared down at Odin, then shifted her gaze back to Wren. The android still stood there, looking up at her impassively, as if awaiting new orders. I don't like of idea of using this thing, she thought, the memories her brother being murdered by Robotcops still fresh in her mind. But if Odin vouches for his creator, I guess I might as well put up with him. He might even come in handy, who knows? Out loud, she said, "Fine, I guess the android can stay, but if he so much as looks at me funny, he's spare parts," said Alis dangerously. "OK, we're done bringing each other up to speed. So all that's left to do now is figure out what to do next."

For a moment, none of them spoke, apparently wrestling with their own thoughts. So much had happened in the last day, so many weird things...Alis didn't blame them for being confused, unsure of what had to be done next.

Eventually, Noah spoke up, his voice so low that Alis could barely hear it, even though her head was looming right over him. "Well, umm, w-we still need to find Tarzimal. Now that we're all together again, we should try and track him down."

"Assuming he's not already dead," said Alis warily.

Noah made what looked like a sour face, from what Alis could tell. "Please, don't say things like that," he said dryly. "Besides, we need him to fix this lamp. It's the only hope we have of restoring you to normal," he finished, holding up the useless magical tool.

Alis smirked at him. "Funny, you sound anxious to get be back to normal."

Now Noah looked confused. "W-What are you getting at?" he asked.

"I dunno. It's just that ever since this happened to me, you've hardly taken your eyes off me. It's almost as if you like me being this way," said Alis, smiling wryly again.

"Uh, w-why would he, uh, like that?" asked Odin confusedly.

"Yeah, it's true that he's hopelessly in love with you, but I doubt even an oddball like him would have a thing for an 150-foot tall version of you," added Myau coyly.

"SHUT UP!" barked Noah, turning red.

"Uh guys, as fun as it is to joke about Noah's hopeless infatuation," interrupted Alis, "I must say, abut finding Tarzimal so he can repair the lamp...why bother?"

"WHAT!? Are you saying we shouldn't try to find Tarzimal at all!?" cried Noah, his embarassment giving way to anger in a heartbeat.

"Well no, I didn't mean that. What I meant was, why bother turning me back to normal?" asked Alis in a tone that made it clear she was serious.

"Alis, are you mad!?" cried Odin.

"Yeah. Don't tell me you're OK with eating nothing but antlions for the rest of your life," said Myau, making a disgusted face.

The memory of her last meal made Alis gag as well. "Well, no, that's a bit of a downside, I'll admit," she said as she propped herself off the ground, situating herself in a sitting position. She looked down at her companions again, who seemed even tinier now, and wondered just how monstrously huge and imposing she must seem to them, even while only sitting. "But think about it, this could be the best thing that's ever happened to me. Think about how much good I can accomplish at this size! Nothing that Lassic can throw at me could possibly hurt me now! With power like this, I can liberate the Algo system in no time!" she finished, closing her eyes and stretching out her arms, smiling and looking pleased with herself.

Alis heard some faint murmuring from down below, as if her friends were talking amongst themselves, but she didn't even bother to strain her ears to listen in. However, a moment later, she heard Noah's faint, distant voice say, "Well, that may be true, but you're overlooking one thing."

"Oh, and what's that?" asked Alis, unconvinced that anything could be wrong.

"At that size, you won't fit into the Luveno, or any of the commercial ships," Noah replied. "How do you plan to get back to Palma to finish our job?"

Alis's eyes suddenly snapped open, realization sweeping over her like a tidal wave....


Miles away, in the middle of nowhere, two Motavian brothers, Nryz and Tryz, sat around their campfire, busily munching away at the meat from the sandworm they had hunted down earlier. Hunting such monsters was difficult and dangerous, but in order to survive in these harsh times, one has to often resort to desperate measures. The two of them peacefully ate their meal, when suddenly....

"D'OH!!!"

The booming, deafening noise made both of them yelp and jump in surprise, looking about wildly for the source. "Wha-wha...what on Motavia was that!?" asked Nryz shakily.

"Uh, it sounded like someone yelled 'D'oh' really, really loud," said Tyrz matter-of-factly. Nryz just stared at Tyrz and balked.


Alis looked down again, seeing that Odin and Noah had covered their ears, while Myau looked like he had passed out. Oops, Alis thought sheepishly.

"Will you PLEASE try to keep it down from now on!?" Odin spat exasperatedly.

"Uh, sorry," was all Alis could say.

Noah looked up at her again, and for once his face didn't betray his embarassing infatuation for her. "Well, now you see our point, at least. We need to find Tarzimal so he can repair the lamp, otherwise you'll be stuck on Motavia forever. He's the only one who knows how to fix it."

"Perhaps not," spoke up Wren, and everyone turned to look at him, surprised. "I might be able to repair the device."

"You?" asked Myau shortly, disbelief oversaturating that one word. "How?"

"I have been programmed to act as an engineer, as well as a battle android," Wren replied simply. "All of Leli's technical and scientific knowledge has also been incorporated into my memory banks, with which I can easily call upon to repair just about any mechanical device or weapon." He stepped up to Noah. "May I see the device?" he asked, his tone neutral, yet strangely polite.

Noah looked over to Odin and Myau, obviously uncertain about what to do next. Their glances darted from Alis to Wren to the lamp, but then, they finally nodded. Sighing, Noah handed the lamp over to the battle android, who immediately took it and inspected the inside.

For several minutes, Wren remained completely silent, his only movements being that of his eyes slightly moving to inspect the electronic components of the lamp. Alis and her friends stayed silent as well, but she began to get impatient after a while. But just as she was about to speak up, Wren suddenly said, "I believe I have discovered the problem, and with any luck, it can be easily remedied."

"OK then, what is it?" asked Noah impatiently.

"It is a very simple problem. The circuits simply cannot adequately handle the necessary current that is needed for this device to have its desired effect," explained Wren. "Large amounts of power are necessary, which are supplied by these gems on the side. They provide adequate power, but it is too much for the components of this lamp to handle. Ideally, such a device would have to be many times bigger to handle the required current and power output."

Alis listened carefully as the battle android continued. "Tarzimal evidently understood this. He is obviously knowledgeable about electronics. The circuits are arranged and designed in such a way to offer the most desirable level of resistance and allow the highest rate of power dissipation possible. It even looks as if many components are designed to be protected from such things as electromagnetic pulses, and so that there is very little mutual inductance, which could very well have unwanted consequences. However, despite all the effort that was undoubtedly put into its construction, it was not enough: many parts burned out after only one use."

"That's all very fascinating, but can you fix it?" asked Alis irritably. She knew plenty about electronics already and didn't need another lesson from this machine.

"I believe so. If there are enough spare parts and if the necessary tools are in your landrover, I can begin work right away," answered Wren. "I could possibly improve upon the original design...make it less likely for the repaired and replaced parts to burn out so quickly. Theoretically, the device can be used again multiple times before needing more repairs."

"That's all well and good, but can Alis's growth be reversed?" asked Myau nervously.

"My scans of the interior lead me to believe that there is indeed a means to negate the growth effect, from what I can gather," said Wren. "I have little information concerning the workings of magic in my database, but still, I believe Alis can be restored."

"That's good. I can get back to Palma then," said Alis. "So, once it's fixed, I can switch from being normal and giant-sized, anytime I want?" she asked hopefully. The thought of getting to the Air Castle and then squashing Lassic underfoot still thrilled her.

"Possibly. However, there is a limited amount of times this device can be used," said Wren. "My scans indicate that some of the fluids within the Nut of Laerma have been drained; it is obviously what makes the growth possible, and the reversal of it. Once the fluid is depleted, the lamp will become useless."

At least we have another one handy, but then again, we all got the feeling we'd need it for something else down the line, thought Alis. Out loud, she said, "Fine then. When can you get started?"

"Immediately. I estimate the repairs will only take a few hours at most, provided we have the necessary parts," replied Wren.

"Then get to work," said Alis shortly. Wren nodded obediently and turned toward the landrover, seemingly uncaring of her curtness. She then looked down at the rest of her companions, who still seemed to be staring up at her in awe. Especially Noah, but he also gazed up at her with the look of a lovesick puppy. The way Noah was staring at her...it couldn't be clearer that he was still hopelessly enamored with her.

Funny. I still can't decide whether I feel flattered or annoyed by that, Alis thought to herself. Alis could never recall any other boys being so drawn to her; somehow, it seemed as if the boys back in Camineet were actually scared of her. Oftentimes, she wondered if any man would ever want her. And yet, now one did, yet strangely, she didn't seem to feel...anything. Could Noah be right? Am I so focused on avenging Nero that I can't feel anything else?

She looked down at Noah again, still marvelling how he looked like a little toy to her. She tried to figure out what her real feelings for Noah truly were. It's true he's a very nice guy. Always patient, doesn't have an oversized ego like most men. He's no dummy, either...I get the feeling he's one of the top Esper trainees. And that slightly girlish look about him...it's actually a bit charming, oddly enough, she thought. He's not a bad guy, but...I just don't know. I just don't have that special feeling for him, I think. And for so long, I've been so confused, so lost...I don't know....

"Alis? ALIS!" cried out a tiny voice. Alis leaned down again to hear better. It was Noah who had spoken up. "Alis, what about Tarzimal? We should still try to find him."

Before Alis could say anything, Wren spoke up from beside the landrover. "We still have no leads as to where Tarzimal is being held. He could be anywhere on Motavia, or perhaps even taken to Dezolis or Palma. It would take too long to try and find him on our own. I suggest that you allow me to continue to periodically tap into enemy communications while I repair Tarzimal's device. Perhaps we can still learn something that way."

Noah turned on Wren. "You-you heartless machine! Are you saying we abandon him!?"

"I am suggesting no such thing," replied Wren calmly as he began to probe the inside of the lamp. "I am merely suggesting that for the time being, we wait and see if we can get the information we need before expending time and energy, perhaps fruitlessly. If we are unable to, then we should then go ahead and seek him out ourselves."

Noah looked ready to summon a torrent to blow Wren away, but Alis had to admit that the android had a point. They really had no idea where Tarzimal could be. "Noah, maybe he's right. Maybe we shouldn't knock ourselves out until we know where to look."

Noah looked back up at Alis, gaping at her. "But you were ready to go looking for Myau and Odin a short while ago! Why aren't you willing to help Tarzimal!?" Noah paused, and Alis was about to explain herself, but then he fired off again. "Is it because you feel you need us and not him? It is because this machine can fix the lamp for you!?"

Alis was shocked by Noah's sudden mood swing. Usually it was her who had a wild temper and Noah was the voice of reason. But her composure quickly vanished, and she glared down at the Esper. "Listen Noah, don't push me, OK? If I say we wait a while, we wait," she said authoritatively.

Noah continued to look daggers at her, apparently unintimidated, but he remained silent. She glanced back over to where Wren had been, but she saw he was about to get in the landrover, presumably to use the communications equipment and computers to somehow tap into enemy transmissions. I'll give him a while, then we move out, she thought resolutely.

Alis looked back over to her friends. Myau was busy giving himself a tongue bath, while Odin sat on a rock, absentmindedly fiddling with something. He looked so small, Alis had to strain her eyes to see that it was his laconian axe. She then noticed Noah out of the corner of her eye, having moved several feet away from the others, which was only a foot or two to her. He was pacing impatiently. I know the feeling, believe me, thought Alis, wondering again if they'd ever get back on track.

All of a sudden, a sharp pain in her stomach made Alis gasp. I guess those antlions aren't sitting well, she thought frustratedly as she leaned back against the cave wall. Urgh, I hate sitting around waiting. Can't believe I'm listening to that stupid robot. She looked at the landrover again, where Wren sat inside. This Leli has supposedly risked everything to deliver this android to her, inspired by all the stories floating around about her. Was she really that much of an inspiration? Did people really think of her as a hero? Sorry to disappoint you, Leli, but you had the wrong idea about me. I'm no hero. I'm not a savior, nor do I want to be. I'm just in this for revenge, plain and simple.

As she thought about this, she stared at the landrover some more. It was the type of machine she'd always dreamed of having, but now, like every other vehicle, it just looked like a child's toy. Somehow, looking at it brought back memories of her own childhood.... About all the time she spent with Dioa, playing with toy landrovers, and how more than once, they had actually talked about what it would be like if they actually grew to be giantesses, and everyone else would really seem like playthings to them. And here, it's actually happened to me, she thought, smiling. I wonder what Dioa would say now, if she saw me. She'd probably be jealous. I always got the feeling, when we talked about it, that she'd want to be a giantess so she could wisk away Nero from me and literally make him her boy toy....

Alis sat there, leaning against the cave wall, reminiscing about her childhood. She had no idea how much time passed by as she did so, but eventually, in the peripheries of her vision, she noticed Wren stepping out of the landrover. Curious, she bent over to get a better look at him and hear him better. "Well?" she asked shortly, not caring if she sounded impatient.

"Thankfully, much of the equipment I needed was stored in your landrover," reported the android. "I've succeeded in replacing many burned-out parts, and managed to rewire even more of the interior in series-parallel to allow better power dissipation. I believe the device will be fully functional again within three or four hours."

"That's good to hear," said Alis, thankful for having good news for once. "But what about finding Tarzimal?"

"I have not learned anything from monitoring communications thus far, but I will continue to do so," said Wren.

"Alright then. Get back to work," ordered Alis. She then turned her attention back to her friends as Wren walked back to the landrover. The three of them were gazing up at her again, and Noah looked like he was about to say something. But before he did, another sharp pain in her stomach made Alis gasp again, and this time, it was accompanying by a low gurgling noise, which Alis was sure sounded like an earthquake to the others. Then she felt something else....

"Uh guys," she began tentatively. "Is the, er, gas shield still installed in the landrover?"

"Uh, yeah. Why?" asked Noah.

At first, Alis's only response was an apologetic look of embarassment about what was coming. But then she said, "Uh, those antlions, didn't exactly agree with my stomach I guess, and...."

Noah looked absolutely horrified. "Ohhhh no!" he cried. "Don't tell me...you're not gonna...."


Several hours had passed since Nryz and Tryz had heard that strange, booming noise, but they had given it little more thought in the time that had passed. They were finally ready to get moving again, to search for another quarry to hunt. But suddenly, a defeaning, explosive noise that seemed to come from everywhere at once resounded around them. After their ears stopped ringing, the Motavian brothers looked around in confusion, as if hoping to spot the source of the noise.

"Now what? What was that?" asked Nryz exasperatedly.

"Uhhh, I'm just guessing here, but it sounded like a really, really big fart," said Tryz.

Nryz just stared at his brother again, then shook his head in disbelief.


"AUUGHH! ALIS, HOW COULD YOU!?" wailed Noah, a second before his hands flew to his face. Odin did the same, and Myau flattened himself against the ground, trying to cover his nose with his paws.

"AHHH!!! My nose is on fire!!" screamed the musk cat.

"Er," was all Alis could manage, too embarassed to even come up with an apology. She was certain her face was now blushing a deep shade of red.

"My sensors indicate there are copious amounts of methane, butyric acid and various sulfur compounds now lingering in the air," said Wren calmly.

"Gee, no shit!?" Myau yelled, obviously envious of the fact that Wren had no sense of smell.

"Bad choice of words, Myau. Really bad," muttered Odin.

"Come one, guys. Alis was right. We NEED that gas shield! GYAAH!!" cried Noah.

"Every man and musk cat for himself!" yelled Odin as he ran to the landrover, Myau and Noah following suit.

Alis watched her friends run away from as if they were possessed. Noah keeps telling me my attitude keeps driving friends away. Now it's just bodily functions, she thought, still feeling mortified.

She then noticed that Wren was staring up at her, his face one of childlike curiosity. "Oh, what are you looking at?" she breathed testily.


Noah, Myau and Odin finally reached the landrover and hastily scrambled inside. After fumbling around, Noah finally managed to find the switch that activated the gas shield - the item installed into the landrover, which was the only thing that let them get to Sopia. And thankfully, it'd get them some breathable air right now.

Noah sighed in relief as he heard the hum of the gas shield. "Well, that should do it," he said softly. "It should block out all the, erhm, extra gases in the air, except the excess nitrogen."

"Well, most breathable atmospheres are mostly nitrogen, anyway," Myau pointed out.

"When do you think it'll be safe to get out?" asked Odin timidly.

As if on cue, the three heard another explosive burst of rushing air. The noise rattled the inside of the landrover. Myau sighed. "Not for a while," he said tonelessly.

A moment later, Wren re-entered the landrover, still holding the lamp. "Ahhh, shut the door!! Shut the door!!" Odin quickly exclaimed.

"My apologies, but I must continue to attempt to tap into communications," said the android as he sat in the driver's seat again.

Myau sighed again. "These are gonna be a few loooong hours," he breathed.


Alis had watched all of them scatter like madmen for the landrover, feeling too embarassed to utter a single word. But even after several minutes had passed, they stayed in the landrover. Oh come on! It's over now! There's no reason to still be hiding in there! she had thought furiously. She sulked, leaning against the cave wall, feeling more and more irritated by the second.

Minutes passed this way, then hours. Maybe Noah was right. We shouldn't be just sitting here, she reasoned with herself. That robot's maker...she expected me to be the type who'd be out doing something. Well, if I'm supposed to honor her sacrifice....

She then started to think about what she could do, how to take advantage of her gangantuan size. Wren was right. They'd be fools to not take advantage of her new power. The hours ticked by as she carefully weighed her options....

Eventualy, the answer hit her. Alis almost smacked herself, frustrated for not seeing the obvious answer earlier. But just then, her companions slowly got out of the landrover....


Noah bravely took in a big whiff of the cave's air as he stepped back out. His nose didn't feel like it was about to explode, so he was sure the danger was over. He looked up at Alis. She was still sitting, leaning against the cave wall, and her unfathomable hugeness overwhelmed him yet again. Yet, strangely, he found himself finally getting used to seeing her like that. And even stranger was that he actually found himself...LIKING her that way. After first meeting her, he was drawn to her because of her power and toughness, not just her beauty. And now that she was so unimaginably strong and gigantic...she was more imposing than ever. For some odd reason, he found it...enticing.

But when Noah looked at her again, he realized she had that stony face of thinly-veiled anger yet again. Sitting there for hours, being allowed to brood dark thoughts uninterrupted, must have taken a toll. While in the landrover, Noah had taken the opportunity to explain to Myau and Odin about his concern for Alis, his worries about her darkening mood. To his relief, he found that they saw the same changes in her as well, and were just as concerned as he was. He hoped they would back him up if he and Alis butted heads again.

The three of them slowly stepped closer to the giantess. Alis seemed unaware, but after a few moments, her head slowly turned to look down at them. "Well, what is it?" she said impatiently. "You better have some good news. Find out where they're holidng Tarzimal?"

"Uhh, no," said Noah, wincing at Alis's booming voice. Will she ever learn to keep her voice down? he silently asked.

"Well, what about the lamp?" Alis went on. "Has the robot fixed it yet?"

"He told us the final touches will be done in a few minutes," said Odin.

"Good. That means we can get back to Palma anytime we want," said Alis.

"And we can restore you to normal now," interjected Myau. "A good thing, too. This has just been too weird."

"Suppose I don't WANT to be restored just yet, though?" said Alis in a challenging tone. "What if I want to stay this way a little longer?"

The three of them just stared dumbly up at their supersized friend. Noah's heart sank. Somehow, she seemed more distant and bitter than ever, filled with even more malice. I hope it's just me, thought Noah as he fumbled for something to say. But before he could, Alis spoke up again.

"That robot was right. Why shouldn't we take advantage of my size? We can't leave Motavia until we've found Tarzimal anyway, right? So while we're still here, why shouldn't I cause as much damage as I can?" She said all this without any trace of doubt in her voice. And once again, Noah picked up the malicious bite in her tone, which made his soul quiver.

It's like we're really starting to lose her to the darkness in her own soul, Noah thought hopelessly. He realized he had to say something now, try to reach her.... "Alis, you're...you're scaring us, here," he said timidly, still struggling to find the right words. "I-I can see where Wren has a point, but-but seem a little too bent on...."

"On what?" snapped Alis. "You yourself said I should focus on other things besides revenge, and now I agree. I realized there's a perfect target out there: that Robotcop factory! If I can take that out, that'll really throw a monkey wrench in Lassic's plans! His plans for spreading his influence over Motavia'll be messed up but good! Think of how much pain and suffering I can spare everyone if I do that! It's a golden opportunity!"

Noah and the others just continued to stare at her and listen, nonplussed. Alis went on. "And besides, there's still a chance that Tarzimal's back there after all! I don't get why he wouldn't be. And you said Leli wanted to do something about freeing the Motavians enslaved there! I can do that easily!" Alis looked down at them, as if hoping that they would all agree with her. To her disappointment, however, they all stared back with blank expressions, which covered up their fear. Their fear that she was getting too vindictive, regardless of her justifications. "Oh COME ON!! You can't argue with all of that!"

"A-Alis," Myau began. "It's true you've made a lot of good points. B-But...we're still worried about you. Noah told us about how he's worried that you've become biiter and distant, and I-I agree. I think you're getting just a little too eager to lash out at anything and everything, a-and...."

"Myau's right," said Odin. "We've all seen this change in you."

Noah's spirits lifted slightly. Myau and Odin were taking his side. Maybe together, the three of them could reach Alis, break through that brick wall she seemed to be building around her heart....

But Alis's angry outburst squashed those hopes in an instant. "WHAT'S WRONG WITH ALL OF YOU?!" she shouted furiously, screaming so loud that her booming voice hammered them to their knees. "This isn't something I came up with on the spur of the moment! I've been thinking about it over and over, and I see nothing wrong with it!"

She glared down at them again as they cowered as their eardrums were assaulted by her explosive voice. "It seems all of you are trying to find fault with me, for whatever reason. I can't believe you! When I brought you all together, I thought we all had a common purpose, that we'd all be in this until the end! But if you're not willing to listen to me and hear me out, fine! I'll do this without you! I don't need you!!"

And with that, Alis sat up and crawled her way out of the cave, while Noah could do nothing but helplessly watch her go, a sickening feeling of dread growing in his heart as he did so.