- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

 

 

  No one knows how it was started, but one day a virus started sweeping it's way across the globe. This was no ordinary virus though as this one had the ability to shrink those afflicted with it and seemed to affect the male population the most; few females were affected by the virus. Scientists raced to find a cure or at least figure out how the virus worked. During the race, leaders around the world announced that anyone found shrunk due to the disease is now considered property to anyone who decides to claim them. This decision was not well received by those who have shrunk, but unfortunately they no longer had a say. The world has succumbed to finder’s keeper’s and the pet trade of shrunken humans.

 

Amber -----

         Moving day, one of the most stressful and boring days of our lives, however, for some it brings change and exciting adventures for their future. Not everyone hates moving days, some love the idea of being somewhere new and exciting. However, Amber is like most people and hates them.

Slowly pulling into the gravel driveway with a blue truck and the entire thing stuffed bumper to bumper, she comes to a halt into front of a one-story cottage. The cottage is surrounded by trees and forest, but remain close to the town and main road. The perfect location. Especially for a nature photographer and writer. With everything being perfect and new experiences on the horizon, what could go wrong?

Slowly she enters the home, with a sense of uneasiness covering her like a blanket. She hesitates in the doorway, staring into the kitchen directly ahead then peaking around the corner to look in the living room. Nothing but furniture and shadows from the windows in the back of the cottage.

“It’s beautiful… but I hate the feeling of being completely alone.”

 

Slowly she moves her furniture, knick-knacks, and all of her boxes inside in order to start making it feel like home. The fridge opens to reveal no food… clearly.

“Guess I’m going grocery shopping tonight, maybe I can put my business cards in the stores nearby. Start getting some jobs lined up,” she smiles to herself.

Moving into her new house, planning for new clients, ready to start writing her novel, everything was slowly falling into place.

 

Connor-----

         Connor slumps to work having to cover another employee's shift who called in sick. He parks in the back of the local supermarket and uses his keycard to open the back door.

Connor mumbles to himself, “Damn it Brad, why'd you have to call off… and last minute too,” he rushes inside and gets everything set up putting on a smile for the customers.

“At least it's extra pay, I definitely need it,” he whispers to himself trying to think of the brighter side of things.

 

Towards the end of his shift he checks his watch and sighs heavily feeling as though he’s been there forever.

“Finally almost 7:00pm this shift is almost over just a few more minutes and I’ll be free for the rest of the night,” He gazes off into the distance hoping to zone out for the rest of the shift.

 

A girl walks over to the checkout and starts putting her stuff on the counter looking happy with what she’s bought. Connor stares at her a bit annoyed seeing as he won’t be getting out as soon as he thought.

“Ugh come on stupid last minute customers…” he puts on a happy face for the girl trying to hide how annoyed he is. “Good evening Ms., did you find everything you were looking for?”

She looks up from her items with a shy smile, “Yeah I did, thank you.”

Connor makes a bit of conversation with her, “so you hear about that new virus going around?”

She looks at him confused, “No, I haven’t seen the news in awhile. What’s the new virus?” Mentally she thanks herself for choosing an area with no neighbors to get her sick.

Connor looks at her surprised. “Well it’s a shrinking virus no one is really sure how it works but it seems to affect males a majority of the time.”

Amber looks down at him clearly skeptical, “Shrinking virus? Like.. what shrinks?”

Connor starts to finish up bagging her groceries “Well the whole person to about 3 or 4 inches.” he finishes the last of the groceries and gives her the total amount

“How would you like to pay for items today Ms?”

She tries to not think about the conversation, “Um… card please.” She hands the credit card over, “I mean clearly the virus is fake, it’s impossible for the human body to shrink to that size.” A worried look crosses her face.

Connor takes her card, “I assure you Ms, the virus is real, look it up on your phone if you don’t believe me.”

She reaches for her phone then quickly stops, “That’s okay, I’ll just look it up later maybe.”

Connor shrugs “Meh whatever but hopefully you’re not one of the unlucky ones who do shrink.”

“Well I hope you’re not either. Have a good night,” Amber grabs her card and bags and starts to leave.

Connor gives a genuine smile, “You as well Ms.” He closes the register soon after you leave and starts to head out to his vehicle when suddenly his head begins to hurt, “What the hell? Why does my head hurt?” He starts to get dizzy and passes out.

 

Moments before-----

Amber thinks to herself, “He seems nice, kind of rude but it’s late. He clearly wouldn’t like a recluse like me, oh well. Maybe his night will get better.”

A shy smiles reappears as she leaves with her groceries, slowly heading to the exit of the store a feeling sends chills down her spine.

Amber turns around feeling as though something is wrong. No one else is in the store, the lights in the parking lot are on and not intimidating, why does something feel off? She walks back into the store to look for the cash register guy.

THUMP

Quickly she rushes behind the register and to the back of the store, “What was that? Are you okay?”

She sees him passed out and suddenly starts to shrink until he's no more than 3 inches tall and completely covered by his clothes.

“What the? This isn’t possible… it can’t be.” She brings out her phone searching for some type of answer.

 

Google: Is the shrinking virus contagious?

No, the virus seems to be genetically related or possible exposure to the below items: Click to read more…

 

Google: What happens to those who shrink from the shrinking virus?

Those who shrink belong to those who find them, anyone may keep them and have full ownership of the shrunken being. Must be registered at theshrinkingvirusregister.gov so government can be informed. Click to see more...

 

“So… he’s technically mine.” She bends down on her knees worried about his condition. Gently she pokes his side nervous to hurt him and uncovers him. She moves the clothes to the side so he doesn’t become tangled.

            He groans a bit his body still adjusting to the sudden change, but begins to come to. “Ugh wh-what the hell just happened? He rubs his eyes and shakes his head the world still spinning around him

“Oh good, I’m so happy you’re okay. How do you feel?” Amber looks down over Connor, towering over him. Her smile fills his blurry vision, an intimidating gesture in the moment.

           He falls back feeling terrified, “What is that? Why is it so big what’s going on?!” Emotions rush through Connor and his panic seems to rise every second.

 

Amber notices how scared the poor cashier is, “Oh it’s okay, it's just me… the girl who just bought stuff. I think you have the shrinking virus… I’m so sorry.” A hand slowly moves from her side and towards Connor.

        Connor snaps out of it and makes an attempt to run, but with his body still adjusting he doesn't make it far as he quickly gets dizzy and falls over.

Fear remains plastered on his face as he looks up at the giant being.

A small giggle comes from Amber, but her emotion quickly switches to empathy, “It’s okay little guy, I won’t hurt you. You’re still adjusting, try and relax hon.” Amber reaches for him again.

The looming hand casts a shadow over Connor and covers him completely leaving him unable to escape and terrified beyond belief. Amber grabs him carefully between two fingers and around his waist. A gentle smile appears in front of him, but the ever escaping floor from his feet causes a panic in his mind.

          He squirms in her hand trying to escape, “This can't be real this has to be some sort of horrible dream!”

Amber coos the cashier, “It’s okay, relax. You’ll hurt yourself if you keep squirming like that.” She gives him a tighter grip in the attempt to keep him secure.

         He looks up her feeling insulted, “Don't tell me what to do you're not my boss lady!” He yelps a bit from the tighter grip and he stops squirming.

         Connor tries to plead with her, “Please Ms. you have to take me to a hospital I don't want to be stuck like this!”

Amber sighs feeling bad, “I don’t think the hospitals are doing anything for shrinkies. The websites just say to 1. If you find them, you keep them or sell them 2. You need to register them online so the government and people know.”

         Connor looks at her shocked, “No you're lying that can't be true it just can't!”

Amber reaches for her phone in her pocket and googles the process to prove it to him.

Google: Should we bring shrinkies to the hospital?

Those who shrink should stay with the “finder” or be taken to a pet supplier so the shrinkie may find a home in the future. Do not take shrinkies to the hospital or any government facilities.

 

Connor starts to squirm again,”No, no,no! This just can't be happening this is just a dream and I'll wake up back home in my bed.”

The grip surrounding Connor loosens some, “Well, until you wake up I’m going to take you back to my place, okay? I can’t just leave you here alone, you’ll get hurt.” Amber begins to stand up, causing Connor’s stomach to drop and his head peaks down at the disappearing floor.

He manages to keep his lunch down but panics when he sees the floor disappearing, “N-no please there's gotta be something that can reverse this I don't want to be someone's pet!”

Amber understands there is no arguing with him in this position, she makes her way to her vehicle in order to head home, “I’m going to set you in the passenger seat okay?” She gently sets him in the seat next to her and searches for her phone and car keys.

Connor sulks feeling completely helpless and holding his knees against himself, “Th-this just can't be real what have I done to deserve this?”

Ambers eyes look down at him worried, “You didn’t do anything, sometimes life just isn’t fair. But don’t worry, everything will be okay and I promise to be a good owner.” She smiles shyly and genuine.

The car starts up as she turns the key.

The loud engine both startles and scares Connor causing him to quickly cover his ears and curl up in a panic. Amber sadly looks down at him and tries to rush home so the sounds ends sooner.

Loud noises, overwhelming lights, the darkness making everything more ominous than it should be, and a towering female controlling his every move, what more could go wrong?

 

Chapter End Notes:

To Be Continued...