- Text Size +

We traveled in silence for at least an hour before Darius broke the silence fron his place in the back of the cart.
"So your friend. . . Do you really think he can help me, or was that just a ploy to get me here? He asked, his tone curious.

"If anyone can undo your litt . . . . Condition. . It would be him.  He is as close to a god as I have seen walking this land."  I replied, trying to convey optimism.

The truth was I didn't know if he could help or not.  Had I not experienced a similar phenomenon when I was at Juliette's work camp, I might not have even believed it was possible for a slayer to be sealed away from the gods. 
"We probably all owe him our lives, honestly.  Only with his help did we defeat Juliette." 
"But she still lives, does she not?" Darius replied, with a dark tone in his voice, and I knew what he was getting at. 
"True there was no confirmed kill. . . But no one else was even able to put a scratch on her, so the fact that she retreated with poison cursing through her veins and is now reportedly unable to even walk, is something to rejoice over I think." I answered, trying to remain calm even though I knew what he was trying to do.  
"I just hope you are fully aware of what you've done and who is coming for you personally now." He warned, his voice quiet and trailing off.

"Ant, I'll be honest with you so there are no surprises later. ." He began. " If this god friend of yours can't heal me. . . I won't be joining you guys for the upcoming battles. . . "

I was honestly a little shocked to hear this, but I guess I could only imagine what he was going through, although I had felt what it was like to be cut off from the gods briefly.

"I have faith in him. And if he can't. . . " I trailed off.

We both knew that facing a giant without prayers was a losing battle most of the time.  Our sword became little more than a needle without the strength of the gods behind it.  

There was a long pause before he spoke again.

"I'm not entirely sure I can face Leonara even if I do get my prayers back. . . . Not after last time. . . " he said, ominously.

"Well this time is different.  This time you have all of us." I answered, trying to be positive, though I knew how difficult the fights to come to be.  

Even against Juliette we barely survived and the entire team was out of commission for an entire week. If her sister had been there, we would likely all be dead right now.

"I'm not really sure it would have mattered Ant.  That woman. . . . She's not of this world. . . . The monster that monsters fear. . . She. . . She just played with us like we were toys, before capturing us like rats." He recalled, his voice shaking and unsteady now.

"All we can do is try, brother.  It's not like there will be a world left for us to run to if we choose to flee anyway.  The end is upon us and we are being pushed to the very outer edges of the map." 

He only mumbled his agreement.

We continued on, pushing as hard as the horses would allow, Stopping to camp a few hours after the sun went down.  

We didn't even bother to set up a tent, choosing to just lay in the back of the wagon.  We didn't speak and I didn't know if it was just because there was nothing to say, or because our bond was weaker than it had been in the past. Either way. I knew there would be a time and place to hear his story.  I closed my eyes, praying that the goddess of death was too busy tormenting someone else to visit me. 

My prayers were answered and I slept through the night with no incidents.  At first light, we set off with Darius driving the wagon now.  About midday it began to pour rain and even though the wagon had a cloth canopy, it was still miserable as we continued north.  We still hadn't spoken to each other for going on 24 hours.  We were just two souls traveling through the vast and empty world, deserted by man or extinguished by giants at this point.  

It continued to rain through the second night, but this time we put up a makeshift shelter just off the road, big enough for ourselves and the horses and started a fire to try to dry our soaked clothes.  We both ate as Darius stared deeply into the fire from the entrance to the shelter.  I layed back against Marcel, just resting my eyes and thinking about nothing in particular.  For the time being, it reminded me of the days of old.  When a single rogue giant was all a slayer had to deal with and the odds were heavily stacked in our favor.

Unfortunately, my tranquility was interrupted by the sound of a horse coming up the road.  It slid to a stop, and there was nothing but the pounding of rain for a moment.  Darius was on full alert now as he gazed out into the dark, his hand on his sword.  The momentary lull was disturbed as the horse left the road and slowly approached the camp.

"A-Ant?" A voice called out, sounding miserable and soaked somehow.

I immediately knew it was Harken, but chose not to reply.

"Ant. . . . If you're in there, you better answer!" She said, a little louder but still unsure of herself.

There was a brief pause before Darius replied instead of me.

"It's us child.  Come inside and warm yourself!' He called, beckoning to her through the downpour.

After 20 minutes of fussing, she had the shelter extended to accommodate her horse and she was shivering next to the fire.  

"Thanks for the help, jerks!" She snapped at us as she removed her kingdom cloak and hung it near the fire.  

"Do you mean with the horse or the entire city? Darius asked, not missing  a beat and with a slight smirk.

His comment caught me off-guard and I chuckled involuntarily.  The laugh earned me a glare as Harken warmed her hands by the flames.

"You're here sooner than expected. . ." I said, not opening my eyes.

"Yeah well. . . . That's the last time I'm doing clean up!" She replied angrily.

"Was it really so bad?  You don't know how much it means to the humans." Darius asked, pulling his eyes from the fire to look into her eyes.

"Yes it was that bad!" She spat at him. "I'm not exactly strong enough to lift or even drag a full sized giant woman, let alone all of them! Everything aches now!"

"You kids nowadays just don't know the value of hard work!" Darius commented with a soft smile.

"And what do you know of hard work, huh?  I don't remember seeing you even lift a finger to help in that fight!" Harken shot back, through gritted teeth.

"Harken, leave it alone!" I intervened, sitting up.

"No, Ant. . . . I want to know why this guy did nothing while we almost died!" She shouted at me, glaring at Darius.  "Even if you know him, I know you realize that anyone who isn't willing to fight is just a liability out there."

"Look, Harley!. . . It's complicated. . . He" I began, but Darius interrupted me.

"You don't need to defend me Ant.  The truth is, I've been given a fate worse than death, but I've been given a chance to get my life back." Darius explained, halfheartedly.

Harken wasn't satisfied.

"What, like the death goddess doesn't give a shit about you either?" She snarked, motioning to me.

"Hmm. . . . . More like no gods care for me." Darius said, thoughtfully.  

The look in Harken's eyes wavered for a moment. 

"What are you talking about?" She asked,  in arrogant disbelief. 

To this question, Darius rose from his seat by the fire and lifted his shirt.  Beneath it, completely covering both his front and back, he had been branded with various giant symbols and writing.  

Her eyes were wide now.

"I've been sealed.  Completely cut off from the gods.  No prayers, no nothing." He said, putting his shirt down and walking past her to lay down. 

"That. . . That's not possible!  I don't Believe you!" Harken stammered.

"As much as I would love to have your acceptance, it's the truth.  Like petulant children, the giants have complained about their lot in life until they have begun to be granted unnatural abilities from the gods." Darius explained, sprawling out next to me and pulling a blanket over himself.

Harken was silent now as she grasped the gravity of what he was saying.

"How. . . How can the gods turn on us like this?" She asked finally, to nobody in particular.  "We only exist to balance their creation!"

"Well. . . . When you kill the very first giant, they tend to take exception to you.   That and Leonara has a snake's tongue." Darius replied, yawning.

"Leonara?. . . . The middle of the youngest three daughters of the giant king?" Harken inquired.

Darius said nothing.

"I've heard the king speak of her.  I don't think he fears anyone in this world more than her. " she continued.  

"Rightfully so.  Her glance alone is enough to freeze water.  Bracelets made of slayer's bones.  A master strategist and swordsman.  Not to mention her size. . . . Big enough to crush a fresh slayer with just a step and a cruel streak a mile wide. " Darius explained, and I could hear his old trademark storytelling prowess beginning to shine through. 

"She sounds formidable. . . ." Harken began solemnly.  "It's a shame I'm going to have to behead such a majestic woman!" She finished, her voice brimming with confidence and though my eyes were closed, I could tell she was grinning. 

I couldn't help but laugh.  Not out of spite, but because it had been so long since the days when we all used to boast about the giants we would slay with all the bravado of younger men. 

"What's so funny?" Harken demanded, standing over me, between myself and the fire.

"Nothing.  . . . Your confidence is refreshing is all.  It's been a while since I've heard anyone who is so sure of anything in these dark times.

Harken was quiet, apparently sizing me up to see if I was just fucking with her.  A moment later she must have been satisfied that I was sincere.

"Thank you." She replied, softly.

She stepped over us and began to make up a bed before we all settled in for the night, listening to the rain continue to pour down profusely.

In the morning it was still raining as we set off, myself and Darius in the wagon and Harken on her horse. It continued to rain for the rest of the miserable trip, making for the return to camp and the sight of the other degenerates risen from   their forced comas less enjoyable, even though it had stopped just before our arrival.

I pulled the wagon in line with the other two that were currently at the camp and  jumped down. My feet had barely touched the ground when I heard raspy voice behind me.

"And just where the hell have you been?!" Henrietta demanded.

"I was. . . . Running errands."I said with a grin as I began to unhook the horses from the wagon.

"Running errands? You've been gone for over a week and we've been stuck here waiting with our thumbs up our a-

Henrietta froze when she saw Darius emerge from the back of the wagon.  She let out an uncharacteristically high, girly squeal as she rushed to hug him.

"Darius!" She cried as he swept her off her feet and twirled her around.

"It's been a while, darling!" He replied, holding her up at arms length and looking her over.  "Just as gorgeous as ever."

"Give it a rest you old womanizer!" Malakai said as he came walking out of the trees with a massive grin on his face.  
Darius placed Henrietta back down before firmly shaking hands with Malakai.
"I missed you brother!" Darius exclaimed, embracing him as well.

"The family is finally back toge-" Henrietta began but again she paused when she saw Harley.
"Who the fuck is this?!" She spat, her hand moving to her sword.

"Calm down! She's with me!" I stated, holding my hands up.

"Ha!  Isn't she a bit young for you, lockwood?" Malakai asked, laughing his loud obnoxious laugh.

"It's not-" I began

"So what, now you travel with kingdom trash?!" Henrietta sneered, her hand still on her sword.

"Who are you calling trash?!" Harken fired back, jumping from her horse and facing down Henrietta, although the height difference was immense between them. 

"Can we please not do this right now?" I asked as I walked Marcel over to all the other horses.

"Tell that to this old hag!" Harken snapped at me but definitely in Henrietta's direction. 

Both Darius and Malakai were laughing now and this caused Henrietta's face to turn red.

Just then Jacob came wandering into camp from the trees.

"Is that. . . Henrietta's sister or something?" He asked, getting in on the fun
This only made things worse as they only laughed harder now. 

"We are NOT sisters!" Both women said in unison.

Malakai was laughing so hard now that he fell over and Darius had to lean against a tree.

"Shut up!  No, you shut up!  SHUT UP!" the ladies shouted, inadvertently exactly in sync.

"They're like twins!" Malakai cried, hardly able to breathe now.
Cassius joined in now too, spitting out the sip of ale he was drinking and almost choking as he laughed.
I saw warnings in front of me as both Henrietta and Harken were stomping towards me now, their angry words blending together into a very angry pot of female fury.  Luckily they telegraphed their attack and I easily caught one fist from each of them in my own hands as they tried to punch me into next week.

"How is this my fault?" I asked angrily as they each tried to pull their hands from me. 

"Let me go Ant!" Harken growled.

"Go set up your tent! As far away from Henrietta as you can!" I commanded her as I let go of her fist.

She gave me a glare that could draw blood, but eventually she turned and walked away. 

"Ant, you have no business bringing a kingdom slayer here!"  Henrietta hissed, tugging at her hand.  "This could be a trap for all we know!"

"It's not a trap. . . . The rest of her party is dead.  Killed by Zarah's girls down south.  We barely survived but she rose to the challenge and no doubt saved my life." I explained, releasing her wrist as she stopped thrashing.

"It took all we had and barely bested Juliette. . . We need all the strength we can muster and it may come by unconventional means from here on out. . . . . The world is getting frighteningly small alarmingly quickly sister." I said softly, putting a hand on her shoulder as I walked passed her.

"Cassius, where's monte?  We have need of his. . .unique abilities." I asked, sticking my nose over the pot of stew he was tending to now.
"Well he isn't here.  Seems you aren't the only one dead set on leaving this camp undefended in the midst of a war!" He answered, a bit of bitterness in his tone.

"Where did he go!?" I demanded, glancing over at Darius, who was preoccupied, catching up with his companions.

"Down to the south shore.  Said he was going to use his control of water to help ferry humans off the mainland to that island that giants can't get to." He said, brushing me back from the stew as he added a few more spices and tasted it. 

"Shit!" I spat, rubbing the back of my neck.

I knew Darius would likely leave again if there was nothing to offer him.  Maybe the allure of his family would keep him for a few days but ultimately he would return to his life of inactivity.  Honestly it hurt to know how badly the giants had broken him.

Discouraged, I walked over and sat down at a long table someone had fashioned out of some trees. I was in my own world as I pondered how to get Darius to stay, and that was when Harley came walking up and sat down in front of me on the other side of the table.

"Can you gather everyone over here so I can explain my plan for rescuing your sister?" She asked, like it was official kingdom business.

"Harley I dont think-

"What did you say about Ant's sister?" Malakai asked, interrupting me as he sat down beside me with a bowl of stew. 

"She needs our help!  The king is going to trade her to the giants in order to assure peace!" Harley explained, turning to him instead of me.  

"That ain't happening!" Malakai said, pounding his fist on the table and with a mouth full of stew.

"That's right!" Harley agreed, rolling out a map she was holding out on to the table.  "Luckily I have the perfect plan! She finished, cocky and proud of herself.

"Hey!  Jake, Pete, Darius!  Get over here!  We're saving Abby!  The new girl has a plan!" Malakai shouted, louder than necessary.

Peter came over, sitting next to Harley.  Jacob gave me an irritated look as he sat down on the far end of the table.  Darius  sat down to my right.  

"What are you yelling about?" Peter questioned as he looked over Harley's map.

"Abigail Lockwood and the other kingdom slayers responsible for the mine attack are scheduled to be handed over to the giants in 5 days time and I have a plan to rescue her." She explained, tapping the map.

"You guys can ultimately do whatever you want, but don't you think you might have bigger priorities than a rescue mission?" Cassius asked, setting down bowls of stew for everyone. "No offense to Ant or Jacob, but Juliette has definitely made it to safety by now, and her sisters will no doubt be coming for vengeance now regardless of whether or not they have 3 or 4 no name slayers."

Everyone passed thoughtful glances as they considered his words.  Harley broke the silence.

"That's the beauty of my plan!  Florence, the oldest of the three daughters, is set to take delivery of the prisoners!  This is both a rescue mission and an ambush!" Harley exclaimed with a huge grin on her face.

That was all it took to sell Malakai on the idea and he immediately hollered his raucous approval.  Both Peter and Darius were understandably less enthusiastic about it, and the color had drained from Peter's face.

"Objections?" I asked the table nonchalantly, although I myself wasn't so sure of a rescue/ambush.

"I'm not objecting. . . . I just think. . . That we should be at full strength before we go walking into a battle with Florence." Peter said, looking visibly shaken. 

"You scared Pete?" Malakai chided, punching him in the arm.

"I said I'm not objecting! It's just that we only narrowly defeated her smaller, weaker sister!  Without something major changing, we won't make it out of that fight alive, even with a successful ambush!" Peter snapped, standing up and walking away.

"Things HAVE changed!  We have Darius back now! Malakai answered in reply, putting a hand on Darius' shoulder. 

At this, myself, Peter, Darius, and Harley  began to speak, then all simultaneously thought better of it. 

Malakai immediately caught on, looking to Darius.

"I'll be ready, just as soon as I speak with your mage." Darius replied confidently. 

"He isn't here." Cassius said casually as he took a mouthful of stew.  Either oblivious or just plain uncaring of the delicate situation.

Immediately, Darius looked to me.

"Hey, he was here when I left!"    I defended with my hands up.

"Can we please focus on my plan!?" Harley interrupted obnoxiously

"Fine." I sighed, turning to her.

"Ok. . . . Check this out!" Harley said, before diving into her plan.