- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This chapter is a little deeper look into the world, and explains what happened to Ant when he blacked out.


I opened my eyes to see that I was no longer in the battle.  Juliette was gone.  Peter was gone. . .

Julius. . . . . 


There wasn’t much time to think about that now. . . .
Because where I was now would prove to be a much, much bigger problem. . . .


I had never been here before, but something in my soul told me where I was.  A massive, grand hall with perfectly smooth, polished, blue stone floors.  The walls were lined with thick, white pillars that had torches on them.  The room glowing orange with their flickering light.  Everything was of the finest quality. . . . 


Quality fit for the gods. . . . 


That is when I felt a familiar presence. . . .


I turned slowly and a wave of rage and fear washed over me.
Sitting directly in front of me, no less than 150-200 feet tall . . . Was the goddess of death, Freyja.


Her presence alone was enough to crush a weak spirit, but as a slayer, we were raised not to fear death. . . . At least the act of dying. Truth be told. . . Seeing the physical representation in the form of a massive, dark, imposing being was something else entirely. Yet, here I was, cast in the shadow of her raised sandal as she sat comfortably on her lavish throne with her legs crossed.  I looked up passed her legs and further still passed her black goddess’ gown to her pale, ice cold face.  As beautiful as any woman ever created yet somehow uninviting.  Here she was, very much alive and smirking down on me but she also felt dead as well.  


All things very uncomfortable considering I knew why I was here.  All the hate and anger in the world could not get you to the realm of the gods.  You had to be summoned by them. . . . So here I was, before arguably the most powerful being in existence, after having just refused her advances not 5 minutes ago.  What made me worry even more was her size. . .


But not how big she was. . . No. . . 
But how SMALL she was!


It was said that at their normal size, the gods made giants look like toddlers by comparison.  I didn’t have a measure in feet, but the point is, I would have been more than insignificant to her. . . So the fact that she was presenting herself in a form I was accustomed to, led me to believe she had physical plans for me. .   If not, why not appear to me in my soul or in a vision as she had done before?  None the less, here she was. . . Smirking that infuriating smirk!


“Bring him back!” I roared.  The first words spoken since I arrived.


I drew my sword, holding it with two hands in front of me.
She didn’t move a muscle, just looking at me. . . . Amused by my demands.
The thought of Julius being so heartlessly wiped from the earth as punishment for a spat I had with this goddess fueled my rage and I gathered my strength for a devastating attack.  I lifted my sword and swung it down, looking to cut her, her throne and the entire building in half, but as I swung. . . .

Something went terribly wrong. . . . 


There was no fire. . 


No brimstone. . . 


No anything but the sound of my sword cutting through the air in front of me.  


Her smirk only turned into a wide grin as she gazed down on me with amusement in her eyes.


“Oh. . . Dear Antony!  You couldn’t have honestly thought that would work, could you?” she asked, her voice silky and somewhat quiet for her size. 

 
That was right. . . . I couldn't expect the gods to give me any strength here. . . Attacking one of their own.  No. . . I would have to do this the old fashioned way.   


I charged forward, kicking off the base of her throne and leaping up to her leg.  It worried me that she Ionly laughed as I made my attack.  She took no action to stop me, but I immediately found out why.  As soon as I left the floor, I felt a weight gathering on me.  It seemed to manifest out of nowhere and it got heavier and heavier the higher I got.  It took all my strength just to reach the platform of her armrest and when I finally got there, it was too much.


I could only stand for a moment before the weight forced me to my knees, slumped with my sword at my side. I could hear her laughing above me.


“Tell me, little one. . . Just what. . . Did you hope to accomplish here?” She asked as if she was talking to a small child. 


“Bring Julius back!” I shouted again, struggling to even lift my head to make eye contact. 


“Do you mean your young friend who met an. . . Unfortunate end in the battle for the very existence of the human race?” Because let me tell you Antony, these things tend to happen in the violent little world you live in!  I can't just bring back every soul who meets an unfavorable demise!” She replied, acting coy. 


She just watched me struggle to even move for a moment.


“It's amazing how familiar this feels, isn't it?  You. . . . Helplessly squirming beneath a foe you couldn't hope to beat with your own strength alone!. . . But that's ok. . . It hasn't been the end of the world for you. . . . . Has it, little one?” She asked, lifting my chin with a giant finger.


“Bring. Him. Back!” I demanded once again, through clenched teeth.


“And do you know why that is?” She continued, ignoring me.  “


“Because I'm a fighter!” I answered proudly, straining against the weight.
Again she laughed.


“Hardly!  I think we both know how many times I've had to peel your flattened form from the mud!” She replied, with an arrogant huff.  “But don't get me wrong. . . I don't mind!  Anything I can do for my children. . . I will gratefully and whole heartedly lend my strength to any one who is in need. . . “


I focused my strength, and gritted my teeth as I tried to lift myself from my knees.  She leaned down and just watched me struggle.

  
“Do you. . . Want my help?” She asked, condescension dripping from her voice.


I said nothing and continued to try, but it was too much.  Whatever force she was exerting over me was just too much.  But then. . . Just as it seemed to reach a peak and I thought I would be flattened to my stomach. . . . The pressure was completely gone.


“I'm sorry Antony!  That wasn’t intentional.  It’s just that beings from your realm can't withstand the. . . Gravity. . . Of the gods.  If I was in my true form, even with your high durability you would have been utterly crushed.  That is why we usually only appear to our subjects in dreams or visions.  My apologies.” Freyja explained , politely.


“What is it you want?” I asked, climbing to my feet.”


“You're here. . . Because we need to have a conversation about your servitude to me!” She replied, sternly.


I unintentionally chuckled.


“There is nothing to talk about! I pray when I NEED you, and that's the end of it, considering  we were created to fix your mistakes!” I spat, rudely.
There was a not so subtle hint of irritation or anger on her face as she heard me.  


“That also means. . . That you were created solely to do our bidding, doesn't it?” she growled. “Do not. . .forget your place.  The Urahknahkai were created to be nothing more than servants to the gods!  We even heavily considered not your kind free will at all.” She continued, spitefully.


Urahknahkai. . . . The original name given to slayers when they were first created.  A name that had been long forgotten and replaced.  For good reason.  It harkens back to a time when we were but slaves to the gods. . . Dark times when death, and destruction to everyone and everything was a daily occurrence.  


“Just another mistake in a long line, I suppose!” I commented without thinking. 

I had been purposely trying to get under her skin, but this one wasn’t intentional.  None the less, it was one comment too many.
All of a sudden, an invisible force pulled my sword from my hand and hovered it in front of me. I looked up to see that she was scowling now and before I could say anything, the blade spun and plunged through my throat.  I only stood in shock as I choked and struggled to breath, pulling frantically at my sword, but I didn’t possess the strength.  It was then that I felt it. . . . 
Freyja’s influence. . .


She. . . She was healing me at exactly the same pace as my wound was killing me, keeping me trapped in this excruciating pain.


“Tell me, Antony. . .” She began intimately, as she watched me die.  “Why is it that you view me as an enemy? . . . . I truly do not understand!  I have done nothing but save your life.  Heal your wounds. . . Help you protect the ones you love. . . . And still you distrust me. . “ She finished, disappointment apparent.  


“I'm curious. . . Let's see how you fair. . . .” She started, reaching for me and placing her thumb on the  handle of my sword and her pointer finger on the tip.  “Without me. .” She finished, before squeezing and bending my God given blade like a cheap, big city replica in a U around my neck.  A moment later, her magic left me and immediately I began to fade.  


I really never thought my life would be ended by the goddess of death herself. . . It was. . . Significant somehow.  Like the most powerful force in existence have some type of shit about me.  Then, just like that. . . I was gone.  


Or at least I should have been.  


I did feel the finality of death. . . . An overwhelming, cold, hollow swell.  But, just as suddenly as it took me and my soul was prepared to travel to whatever comes. . . I was brought back!


I gasped as I was brought back from the void.  Looking around, I discovered that I was still in the goddess’ chamber.  This time, I was on the opposite arm of her throne. . . .

While this whole thing was incredible. . . What really shook me was. . . I looked over and saw myself. . . My body. . . . With MY sword still twisted around my neck. . . . Lying dead on her other armrest.  Examining myself, I realized that I was back in perfect health and I also noticed that Freyja’s expression still looked displeased.  


Normally, I would have stood my ground, and continued to fight, but after actually experiencing death. . . .Seeing myself dead. . . .  Something within myself changed. . . . I. . . Truly did not want anything more to do with her.  Humbly I threw myself on my hands and knees before her. I knew this is what she wa-


My heart stopped as her hand reached down for me.  She. . . She was just going to kill me anyway!  I jumped to my feet and caught her fingers in my hands.  I pushed back against her but it was useless.  Her strength was far, far beyond the limits of a normal giant.  I was effortlessly shoved backward and off the edge of the armrest.  I clung to her fingers as she lifted her hand and let me dangle in front of her face.  Knowing I was in trouble, I let go of her fingers but her other hand was waiting for me and I was instantly trapped in her fist.  


I strained my hardest, but still her fingers closed in on me.  Gurgled groans and cries escaped me as she squeezed the life from me.  My bones creaked and crunched and the pressure behind my eyes built up.  My vision went red as blood was forced into parts of me it wasn’t meant to be. My lungs refused to expand and I began to suffocate as well as being completely crushed.. . . . Then. . . 


Just like that. . . I was out of her fist.  My body wasn’t crumpled and I could breathe again. . . . But. . .directly in front of me, was my body. . . . Was it MY body?  It definitely looked like me. . . Other than the thick gravy of blood and other bodily fluids oozing from his every orifice as Freyja overpowered him.  A moment later, she let my corpse slide wetly from her hand to lie next to my original body.  


This time, I didn’t try to appease her.  This time I ran.  I turned and bolted for the edge of the armrest.  It seemed like I might be able to put some distance between us, but before I even got the floor, a shadow was cast over me.  A split second later, my upper body was snagged in her hand.  I squirmed and wiggled like my 3rd life depended on it, and actually managed to break free of her grip for a moment.  A short lived moment.  


Freyja adjusted her grip and caught me again, this time by the leg.  I swung upside down as she heaved me back up from floor level.  Knowing another gruesome death was impending, I decided to use the last weapon I had on me.  Leaning up, I found the 6 inch dagger I kept along my free leg.  With no hesitation, I plunged it into her finger with everything I had.


In the real world, that would have been enough to make anyone drop me, but here and now. . . . The goddess didn’t react at all.  Glaring at me, she simply plucked the knife from my hands and promptly reinserted it through my thigh.  The one trapped in her grasp.  It was nowhere near enough to kill me, but still my screams echoed off the chamber walls.  They seemed to bring her pleasure as her scowl turned ever so slightly into a faint smile.  From there, without warning she extended her arm so that I was dangling over the floor again, and released my leg.


The drop should have been nothing, but with the dagger in my leg, I couldn't control my landing and crumbled to the floor at her feet.  Immediately I pulled at the blade, but it wouldn't budge.  It had to be her influence. Sadly, the knife was the least of my worries as the foot that had been planted on the floor suddenly rose and hovered over me ominously.  As it began to lower on to me, I abandoned pulling the dagger from my leg and began trying to crawl away.  This act of desperation must have amused her, because she spoke with a light chuckle for the first time since torturing me.
“look at you!  Crawling through the dust on your belly like a pathetic little worm.  I think. . . Now would be the appropriate time to discuss our. . . . Relationship. . . Moving forward. . . Wouldn’t you say?” She asked, using a false, cordial tone.  The type of tone that I might have killed a man for mocking me with, in my younger years.  


I continued to crawl, in spite of her insults when suddenly, pain shot through my legs.  I looked back to see a giant, delicate leather sandal where my legs used to be. It stopped me dead in my tracks as my arms couldn’t get traction on the smooth marble floor.  She applied more force, and earned more of those delicious screams she loved so much, accompanied by the sound of bones first creaking, then popping. Then, just when I thought she might crush them completely, she eased up a bit, if not just to stop my screams.


“In sticking with the idea of “free will”, I’m giving you a few options to choose from, Antony.”


“How very generous!” I thought, in the deepest depths of my mind, in hopes that she wouldn’t somehow hear me inside my mind.  


“Option A. . . And I do think this is the best option for everyone, although I truthfully don't care which you choose.  But option A: You fully submit to me.  Meaning your soul belongs to me now.  I will allow you to go back to your realm, live your life, and being the merciful goddess I am, I will even give you your friend Julius back, alive and unharmed.  The only difference from our current agreement, is that when I ask for it, you let me in. . . With no hesitation!” She said, applying more pressure to my legs as she said that.  “And when I say in. . . I MEAN IN!  No reservations, no holding anything back from me.  I stay for as long as I like.” She finished, letting up on me a little bit.


The thought of her taking over my body indefinitely was unthinkable.  My family could already tell something was wrong with me. . . True, I had no idea how they would react to the situation she was describing, but I knew for sure that Jacob and Abby would likely turn their backs on me.  The other slayers knew of the temptation of using the death goddess’ power.  They had seen the strength she had to offer, and I had saved our lives more than a few times with it.  The thing was, we accepted each other even with our inherent flaws.  Simply put. . . We just happened to be a rag tag assembly of the toughest bastards in the human realm.  How that strength was acquired really was of no consequence.  I think they understand.  That being said, I really didn't know what the goddess was fully capable of.  


“I can see it in your eyes. . . . You’re trying to come up with a way to get out of this.  Well. . . There isn’t one, I assure you.  If you even THINK about defying me well. . . . There is no guarantee that more of your loved ones don't decide to step out in front of your enemies so carelessly!  Hmm. . . . You never know. . . . You might just wake up one day and decide that you yourself have the insatiable desire to kill every last one of them. . . .”  Freyja finished, finally lifting her foot of my legs and placing it beside me so she could see me clearly.  


I took the opportunity to stand, shakily.  Beyond the pain in my legs, nothing else felt right either.  My balance felt off and my vision struggled to focus.  I was really in no condition to even stand, let alone fight her anymore.  This seemed to please her.


“ Right now, you're feeling the effects of having died twice.  The soul isn’t designed to be brought back from the afterlife.  Granted. . .Most never get the chance.  Which brings me to option 2.  The option where you choose to continue fighting me here and now.  As unwise as that would be for you, the fact that you’re standing now, instead of groveling at my feet means that it isn't completely out of the question, is it? “ She questioned, looking down on me like I was garbage, just daring me to say a word.


I just swayed back and forth, neither challenging her, nor kneeling.  Truth be told, my mind was too fuzzy to really decide one way or another.


“If you so choose to fight,  then you’ll stay forever trapped here with me and we'll continue to play one million ways to die for the next one thousand years!” She threatened, and I noticed her crossed leg was once again dangling over my head.  “You're body on earth will eventually just die without it's soul and that will be the end of that!” She finished, dusting her hands like she had finished some satisfying job.


“th. . . There is no need for that!” I stammered.   “I yield.” 
With that, I got down on my knees and bowed before the feet of the all powerful goddess. 


“Good.” She seemed to spit at me.


I heard motion above me, but I didn't dare lift my height.  I jumped as something touched my back and covered me in shadow.  The familiar smell of leather washed over me and I knew it was the sole of her sandal.  It pressed down, first pushing my stomach into my knees.  It continued down, and out of instinct I pushed back, but again it did nothing.  


She was going to crush me again. . . . Just for fun.


My body released all kinds of uncontrolled grunts and noises as the air was squeezed out of me and I closed my eyes and just accepted my fate.  The pain rose and rose until finally I died again.


Or so I thought.


With a gasp, I opened my eyes and found that I was back in the human realm .  Looking around in a panic, I realized that A: Juliette was nowhere to be seen.  I wasn’t even in the city anymore.  Instead, I was wrapped in a heavy bear skin blanket and was laying in a row of makeshift beds in front of a large campfire.  I recognized the outline of Cassius tending to one of the other people in the beds and that was when I remembered.
Julius! 


I tore off the covers and was about to stand when I felt it. . .


The death goddess.


My soul burned as she demanded access to my body.  I. . . . I had only been back for two seconds!  But. . . I had no choice.  


Closing my eyes, I let her in.


I felt her enter me, and along with her, the incredible increase in strength.  My body, which had been somehow bruised and cut up, healed itself immediately.  From outside of my body, I watched her stand and look over the camp.  The movement caught Cassius’ attention and he looked to my body.


“Ant!  You’re finally awake!” He exclaimed, as he approached me.


I watched Freyja reach slowly for my sword. . . And thoughts of Julius flashed in my mind.  I held my breath as the death goddess tormented me, knowing I shouldn’t step in, but it seemed that slaughtering everyone around me was her idea of a good time. 

I had to do something.


But then . . . Just as I was going to fight her influence. . She was gone, just as suddenly as she had come. . .


It was. . . Just a test.