- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Short story, only one more chapter of this. Please resend to like it and comment, I really appreciate it! DeviantArt is oneo again at the bottom.

[Another story taking place inside the Nanoverse, a world where part of the population is normal sized (Giants), and the others are roughly 2mm tall on average (nanos). For more information on the world please read my other stories, Dance Class Goddess and Deranged Exchange]

Emma stood bored at the register, dressed in her red work clothes and black slacks, black bulky work shoes, and her work hat. The restaurant was completely empty, even the cooks were on their lunch break in the back, laughter could faintly be heard from Emma’s post. Emma was a 17 year-old highschool student, she was a little on the shorter side and had long blonde hair that went halfway down her back and sides. She’d finally got her first job at a local fast food restaurant, McBurger Queen Jr. (she wasn’t a fan of the name), and had been working there for the good part of two months. She’d gotten used to it so the initial excitement of her first job had faded, now it had become routine, day-in day-out. She’d just finished doing most of her duties behind the counter: wipe down the counter, restock the cups and condiments, those sort of things. Today was a ridiculously slow day, people mostly coming through drive-thru, though a few people always came and ate inside, even if for a few minutes. From where Emma was standing she could see the table in the corner by the exit, the people who were there last left a lot of crumbs underneath their seat. ‘Why are these people such pigs…’ Emma thought to herself a little irritated. She walked over to the opening in the counter that let her walk into the dining section and went towards the cleaning supply closet, taking out a broom and dustpan.

A few minutes earlier, at the entrance doors, a tiny male figure was crawling in from underneath the door; he was followed by about seventeen others who came the same way. The first male stood up and looked back at his followers; he stood taller than most Nanos while still remaining absolutely puny to any Giant. He wore a green shirt and black pants and looked to be around 19, a soul patch growing on his chin and curly brown hair on top of his head. He waited for the rest of his party to get through the space under the door before looking back into the restaurant.

“Hey, uh.. Cedar, you really think this is a good idea, man?” one of the others said as they stood up.

Cedar was more or less the leader of the group, though unofficially. They were just a small group of nanos that lived nearby (literally just outside the building), just inside of a small tree. They’d all left their previous nano neighborhoods for a simpler life, living in a knothole near the base of a tree that was too small for anything else. They didn’t want to be forced to work for a living with the constant threat of Giants in school and in the workplace and thought they could live perfectly fine out in nature and surviving off plants and crumbs, hence why they chose to live near a fast food joint.

“Yeah man, trust me, I’ve been scopin’ this place out all day and barely anybody been comin’ in. So for sure we’re safe, just don’t get spotted by the chick behind the counter,” Cedar said, sounding pretty sure of himself and calming down his worried friends. The chick he was referring to was, of course, Emma.

The small group of seventeen (ten girls, seven guys) slowly made their way deeper into the restaurant, sticking close to the corners so they could remain unseen. As they made it close to the first table, they quickly became excited seeing the bountiful pile of crumbs someone had left there; it looked to be enough to last them two whole weeks, maybe even more. Cedar looked back towards the counter and saw Emma looking off into space, bored out of her mind just standing there at the register. He motioned for his group to go ahead carefully. Now trying to be stealthy when you're smaller than a large crumb is utterly pointless, and some of the group realized this, but they continued being as stealthy as they could; mostly because they thought it looked cool. When they finally made it to the crumbs they all marveled at how big they were, some of them nearly three times their sizes. They were all mostly pieces of bread from the burgers, but there were some tiny pieces of meat as well, along with some small strands of lettuce (the people who came in last were really messy eaters).

They each began digging into the few larger crumbs, filling their pockets and backpacks with handfuls of bread and meat. Cedar and his friends were too busy filling their bags they failed to notice that the Giant girl behind the counter was now gone. When they were about halfway done, still taking barely a fraction of the total crumbs, they noticed the ground began to shake, almost to rhythmically in a beat. They looked towards the counter and saw Emma wasn't there anymore; she was walking towards them, with a broom, dustpan, and a bored look on her face.
Chapter End Notes:

goddess-lucy.deviantart.com