- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
SANTA CLARA COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE
MIDTOWN SAN JOSE, CALIFORNIA
(3:00 A.M./PDT)
* * * * *

Sheriff Julio Maldonado sat down at the only table in the interrogation room. The chair opposite him occupied by an increasingly nervous man.

"Mr. West? Are you familiar with a website called 'Liluns?' "

"Uh, no," replied the Director of Human Resources: "Can't say that I am. Why?"

"Because, the deputies who brought you here, responded to an anonymous tip, earlier tonight. A tip about a break-in at the residence of your co-worker, Jeremiah Chadwick. When they got there, they found the front door half-ajar. But, after thoroughly searching the house, the only traces they found of Mr. Chadwick, himself, were a blood-stained pair of his pajama pants. And a cellphone opened to the aforementioned website!"

"A kiddie-porn website...featuring a story called 'Plugged In.' And with one of the reviewers calling himself 'Dee W!' Now, correct me if I'm wrong. But, those sound an awful lot like your initials. Wouldn't you agree?"

"W-W-Wait a minute," West stammered: "Are you implying that I'm some kind of closet p-p-pedophile?!"

"You mean, you're not?"

"Of course not!!!" West shouted, the palms of his hands slapping the table top in perfectly synchronized emphasis.

A second later, however, he realized how that made him look to the sheriff, as well as whoever else might be watching from behind the one-way mirror. So, he instantly inhaled and reiterated (in a much-softer voice):

"Of course not. I mean, it'd be really stupid of me to use my initials for a screen name. Especially, if I were someone perverted enough to patronize such a site. Which I'm most definitely not!"

"In that case," replied the sheriff: "...which one of the other reviewers are you? Stargator? Happy Camper? SpaceRanger321? Yaoifan...?"

Sheriff Maldonado didn't even have to read the complete screen name. Not after seeing how rigid West's posture suddenly went. True, it was only for a second! But, it was a very tell-tale second, nonetheless.

"So, you are a reviewer! Did Mr. Chadiwck know? Is that why he's missing?"

"W-What?!"

"Was he blackmailing you? Is that it? Or, did he simply threaten to out you to the high mucky-muck of the company unless you resigned voluntarily? "

"Are you kidding me?" West exclaimed: "That glorified, over-educated redneck was an even bigger pedophile than me! Why do you think he called himself 'Stargator?!' Now, either let me go or arrest me. Either way, I'm not saying anything else without a lawyer!"

Sheriff Maldonado opted to do the latter. Getting up from his chair and personally handcuffing the scumbag before him! But, it was not until West had been fingerprinted and photographed that Maldonado allowed him to have his one phone call.

* * * * *

ALVISO, CALIFORNIA
(3:30 A.M./PDT)

Joseph Hunter--head of internal security for GTS, Inc.--reluctantly woke up from his sound sleep.

"What the frig...?" he muttered, as he finally recognized the sound of his bedside phone ringing. So, even more reluctantly, he sat up and put his bare feet on the floor before reaching out to pick up the receiver.

"Hello?"

"Joe? It's Dave! I'm under arrest...for suspicion of murder."

"What?!"

"They think I killed Jerry! Call the boss. Tell him to get his pet shyster out here, from Frisco, to bail me out. Toot-sweet! Or, I swear to God, I'm gonna out him, you; and everybody else!"

"Whoa! Whoa!! WHOA!!!" exclaimed Hunter: "Slow down, Joe. Don't do anything stupid. I'll call Pete, soon as we hang up."

"Tell him he's got till sun-up, Joe. I mean it!"

All that followed was a click and a buzzing noise. So, Hunter paused to shake his head. As he leaned forward to keep his (somewhat extorted) promise, however, he heard a female voice softly call to him from the other side of his bed.

"Joe? Is there anything wrong?"

"Yeah, Sugar Buns. An emergency has come up at work and they need me at the plant. Right away!"

"Can't Yaoifan91 handle it?"

"Nah! He..."

It took him a second to realize what his voluptuous bedfellow had said. He then spun about...coming face to face with the owl-faced oni mask.

"Hola, El Cazedor!"

tbc