- Text Size +

Chapter 10

 

            Moira was giving Shannon a bath and both women were talking about the upcoming nuptials. Moira began her favorite part of the chore and started to rub soap on the little woman’s breasts when Shannon winced in pain. Shannon clutched her right breast as Moira pulled her hand back.

            “Shannon, what happened?” asked Moira, “Did I hurt you?”

            “It wasn’t you, Moira,” Shannon answered, “my tit has been kind of tender lately.”

            “Shannon, have you given yourself a breast exam recently?” Moira questioned, now sounding worried.

            “Not since November, ma’am,” the tiny girl replied.

            “It’s July, Shannon!” Moira exclaimed, “You haven’t checked yourself in eight months?”

            “No, Mistress,” Shannon replied, feeling she had better take on a more submissive position.

            “Shannon, you have to make sure you take care of yourself better,” the giantess told her, “I want you to check yourself right now and tell me if you find anything abnormal.”

            Shannon smoothed out her breast and felt around. Sure enough, on her right breast, there was a tiny lump. She informed Moira of this and then began to check her other breast. She found nothing out of the ordinary.

            Moira drained the sink and walked into her bedroom. She sat Shannon down next to the phone and searched through the nightstand drawer. Pulling out an old list of telephone numbers provided when she acquired Shannon as her property, she dialed the phone and called Ben. When Ben didn’t answer, she called his workplace. Ben picked up and heard his fiancé on the other end.

            “Ben, she’s sick,” Moira spoke.

            “Who’s sick, honey?” Ben asked, thinking Moira meant his mother or his sister.

            “Shannon, Ben!” she replied, “Shannon’s sick! She found a lump in her breast!”

            “OK, what do you want me to do?” Ben asked, figuring he knew the answer already.

            “I need you here with me,” Moira answered, “Can you leave work early? Please?”

            “OK, I’ll be there as soon as I can,” Ben answered, “Give the little one a kiss for me. See you when I get there.”

            Moira hung the phone up and gave Shannon two kisses on the top of her tiny head. Then, she looked over the list and found the number she needed. She dialed the phone again and a woman with a southern accent answered.

            “Hello, Shrunken Prisoner Health Facility,” the woman said, “This is Jennifer. How may I help you?”

            “This is Moira Cantrell,” she answered, “My girl found a lump in her breast.”

            “OK, let me find you on my computer,” Jennifer said, trying to keep Moira calm, “May I have your case number please?”

            “Yes, it’s two seven nine four six six zero four,” Moira replied.

            “Ah, yes. Here we are,” Jennifer said, “Mrs. Moira Cantrell, owner of one Miss Shannon McCluran.”

            “That’s correct,” Moira responded, “I need to bring her in to get checked by the vet.”

            “OK, we are staffed by several vets today,” the woman said, “just bring her in.”

            “Thank you, I’ll be in shortly,” Moira said, “I just have to get her ready.”

            “OK, see you when you get here, Mrs. Cantrell,” Jennifer said and then hung up.

            It wasn’t long before Ben got to the house. He walked in to see Moira sitting by the door with Shannon in her pet carrier, dressed only in her collar. Moira stood up and hugged him.

            “It’ll be OK,” he told her, “Let’s get her to the doctor’s.”

            Moira lifted the carrier and they walked to Ben’s sedan. Moira opened the door, got in and situated Shannon’s carrier in her lap. Ben got in and started the engine. They pulled out of the driveway and Moira gave Ben the directions to the Special Divisions department. Ben drove in silence until they got there. Moira got out of the car and started walking towards the medical building. Ben had to run to catch up with her. They walked inside and were greeted by the receptionist.

            “Hello, may I help you?” the woman asked.

            “Hi, I’m Moira Cantrell,” Moira answered, “I called earlier.”

            “Oh yes!” she exclaimed, “We spoke on the phone!”

            She paged the vet and a middle-aged man walked out. He was dressed in a lab coat, gray slacks, a white shirt and a tie. He greeted them and Moira explained the situation.

            “I see,” the man said, “Well, if you’ll bring her in, I can have the doctor examine her.”

They followed him and Moira set the carrier on the counter. She opened it and took the little woman out.

“I’ll go get Dr. Hagen,” he said, “I’ll be right back.”

He walked into the next room and when he returned, he held a miniature woman in his hands, completely dressed and wearing a big smile.

“Mrs. Cantrell,” she said, “I’m Dr. Hagen. Please put Miss McCluran on the table. Thomas, please put me on the table so I can examine Mrs. Cantrell’s pet.”

Thomas set down the little doctor and she approached Shannon while Ben and Moira looked on in amazement. Dr. Hagen looked up and laughed.

“I know what you must be thinking,” she said, “I didn’t get shrunk because I commited a crime. I volunteered to be shrunken to do my job better. You see, I am a better surgeon for shrunken people if I’m their size.”

Moira nodded in agreement and watched as the tiny doctor spoke with Shannon and examined her right breast. Dr. Hagen instructed Thomas to bring in the shrunken machines she needed for the tests. He brought them in and Shannon was led to the mammogram machine. She put Shannon’s right breast between the plates and flattened it. Shannon winced and tears ran down her cheeks as the machine confirmed that there was a lump in it. The machine ran a diagnostic and the little doctor read the results.

“Mrs. Cantrell, I’m afraid I bear bad news,” Dr. Hagen said, “it appears Shannon has breast cancer. It’s in the early stages right now, but the tumor is malignant.”

Moira gripped Ben’s hand and he held her in support. Moira’s eyes shown sadness when she looked at him. Shannon however, was strangely silent. Moira had thought Shannon would, at the very least, be a little distraught at the news, but Shannon said not a word nor showed any emotion.

“Doctor,” Moira asked, “you said we caught this early. So, what are our options?”

“Well,” Dr. Hagen replied, “Shannon’s miniaturized body can’t handle radiation or chemotherapy. That leaves only two real options. We can either go in and hope we get it all or you can let it run its course and let it take her.”

“What do you want to do, Moira?” Ben asked.

“Before you decide,” the tiny doctor said, brushing a strand of brown hair from her face, “I must inform you the surgery will be very expensive due to the specialized equipment and the special anesthesia we have to use on shrunken prisoners. Quite often, owners decide that the cost alone is enough to dissuade them from giving treatment.”

“Dr. Hagen?” Moira asked.

“Please, call me Sonya,” Dr. Hagen said.

“OK, Sonya,” Moira said, “May I have a few moments with my fiancé and my girl?”

“Oh, of course!” Sonya answered, “Thomas, let’s leave Mrs. Cantrell and her fiancé alone with their pet.”

Thomas held out his hands and she climbed on. She sat down and he carried her out of the room. Moira and Ben sat down and Shannon walked over to her mistress. Moira placed her hand on the table and Shannon placed her miniature hand on top of it.

“What do I do?” Moira asked to no one in particular.

“Mistress, may I say something?” Shannon asked.

“Shannon, do me a favor and drop the mistress thing for now,” Moira told her, “this is a very serious situation. What did you want to say?”

“OK,” Shannon answered, “if I may, don’t go to the expense of surgery for me. Allow the cancer to run its course. I don’t want you to waste your money. I’m not worth it.”

“Shannon, the only reason I might forgo surgery,” Moira told her, “is I can’t afford it and not because I feel you aren’t worth it.”

“Aren’t you two forgetting something?” Ben asked.

“What?” Moira asked.

“I have the means to pay for it,” Ben said, “I’m in investments!”

“Ben, I can’t ask you to do that!” Moira exclaimed.

“You didn’t,” Ben countered, “I’m offering.”

“You can’t be serious!” Moira said.

“Of course, I am,” Ben answered, “I’ll pay for her operation if you decide that’s what you want to do.”

“Ben,” Shannon said, “you don’t have to do this.”

“I want to,” Ben told her, “look at Moira, she’s really upset at the prospect of losing you.”

It was true. Moira’s eyes were filled with tears when Shannon looked at her. Shannon rubbed the giant hand lovingly. Moira’s other hand moved up and began petting the tiny woman.

“Shannon,” Moira said, wiping her eyes, “I’m going to have them do the surgery. If there’s any chance it’ll help you live a long life with me, I’ve got to take it.”

Shannon simply nodded as Ben knocked on the door to let Thomas and Dr. Hagen know they had made their choice. Thomas carried the little doctor back in and Moira informed them of her decision.

“Moira,” Sonya asked, “you do understand that with any surgery, there’s a chance complications could arise, don’t you?”

“Yes, I know,” Moira answered, “I still want to try and save her.”

“I must say,” Sonya replied back, “I’ve never seen so much compassion towards a prisoner before. It’s refreshing. Usually, when an owner brings in their little person, it’s only because the prisoner is unable to do what the owner wants.”

“Well,” Moira said, “my feelings for her are complicated. For the most part though, she’s special to me and I don’t want anything bad to happen to her. Shannon’s a good girl really. I want to take good care of her.”

“That’s very admirable,” Thomas said, “I assure you, Mrs. Cantrell, she’ll get the best of care. Sonya is one of our best surgeons.”

“Thomas,” Sonya blushed, “stop that. You’re embarrassing me!”

“I’m sorry, honey,” Thomas said, “I forget how easily it is to make you blush. I promise you though, Mrs. Cantrell, Sonya is a very gifted surgeon. Shannon will be in good hands.”

“Um,” Moira asked, “not that it’s any of my business but, are the two of you involved? I swear I heard you call her honey.”

“I did,” he answered, “Sonya’s my wife. We met in Med School and fell in love during our third year.”

“How do you, you know,” she stammered, “at her size?”

“I’m not always this size,” Sonya informed her, “At the end of the day, I’m returned to my full size. I’m only this size when examining or operating on a prisoner.”

“Wait, so the process is reversible?” Moira asked.

“Of course,” Sonya replied, “They came up with a reversal process in the event an owner wanted to pardon their prisoner. It just so happens it benefits our medical staff as well.”

The tiny doctor smiled as she led Moira and Ben to her office. They made the appointment and Moira signed all the release forms required. The appointment was scheduled for the next week and they thanked the two doctors.

Ben carried Shannon back to the car as Moira hung on his arm, relieved that her girl was getting the care she needed. Shannon, riding in Ben’s hands, didn’t know how to feel. She wanted to live, but didn’t want her mistress or her husband-to-be to incur the expense. She felt wonderful that Moira wanted her to live, but felt guilty that they were going to spend that kind of money on her.

They got in the car and Ben drove them home. He decided to stay with them and sat on the couch, next to his future wife. Shannon was placed in Moira’s lap and she hugged the giantess.

“Thank you,” Shannon said.

Those were the only words spoken for a good hour. Ben held Moira in silence and only smiled when Ashes jumped up and began to nuzzle the miniature woman. Sensing Shannon was ill, he began to lick her lovingly. Shannon’s tiny hands began to stroke his soft fur and kissed his nose. Her hands then began to rub the cat’s ears, causing Ashes to purr loudly. Moira began to pet Ashes in appreciation of his bond with the little woman.

A week later, they were back at the Medical Building.

They admitted Shannon and waited nervously during the operation. Moira was so upset, she nearly vomited twice while they were there. Ben did his best to keep her calm, but he felt he was failing miserably.

Three hours later, Thomas walked out with his exhausted wife in his hands. She sat with her legs crossed and addressed the giant couple.

“OK,” Sonya told them, “Shannon is resting comfortably. She’ll probably sleep the rest of the day, but that’s expected. You can see her any time now.”

Moira went in and looked in at her pet. Shannon winced in pain once in a while through her slumber, but never woke. Moira smiled when she found they didn’t have to take the breast. She knew Shannon was worried about that. She watched Shannon sleep a while before letting Ben see her.

Ben looked in on her and couldn’t help but feel affection for the little creature. He could see why Moira cared for her so much. Shannon had gone out of her way to make amends and had always been mindful of her place and respectful towards her owner. It wasn’t hard to see why Moira had begun to love her.

It was another two hours before they could take Shannon home. Once they got there, Moira set her gently in her cage and left her to sleep in her bed. She took Ben by the hand and led him into the living room. She had been thinking and wanted to talk to Ben about something.

“What is it, sweetheart?” Ben asked.

“Did you hear what Dr. Hagen said?” Moira asked.

“What?” Ben inquired, “When? Today?”

“No,” Moira answered, “the day we scheduled the surgery. She said the shrinking process is reversible.”

“OK,” Ben asked, “what are you getting at, Moira?”

“What would you say if I offered Shannon a pardon?” she asked.

“I thought you liked having her around?” Ben replied.

“I do,” Moira said, “but Ben, this whole ordeal made me realize just how much I care about her. You know, it’s funny. It took a tragic event in my life for me to find a truly great friend. I want to give her a chance to have her life back. What do you think?”

“Moira, it’s your choice,” Ben told her, “Shannon’s yours to do with as you please.”

“You don’t think I should, do you?” Moira asked.

“It’s not that,” Ben replied, “I just think if you gave her back her freedom, we might lose her forever.”

“Oh my God,” exclaimed Moira, “you like her too!”

“Of course I do,” Ben answered, “I like having her in our lives too.”

“Well,” Moira said, “I’m going to offer her a pardon. If we lose her, at least she’ll know she’s forgiven.”

“OK,” Ben said, “I respect your decision and I’ll support you in it.”

The next day, Shannon awoke and felt sore. She looked over to see Moira staring at her from the bed. Moira wore a warm smile and waved at her.

“How are you feeling, sweetie?” Moira inquired.

“My chest is a little sore,” Shannon answered, “but I’ll live, thanks to you and Ben.”

“That you will,” the giant woman said, “Whether it’s with me remains to be seen.”

“What do you mean?” Shannon asked nervously, “Are you going to sell me?”

“No,” Moira responded, “actually, I’ve been thinking.”

“About what?” asked the tiny woman.

‘’Well, do you remember when Dr. Hagen said there was a reversal process for the one that shrunk you?” Moira asked.

“Yes,” replied Shannon, unsure as to what Moira was getting at.

“Anyway, I found out that I have it in my power to grant you a pardon,” Moira informed her, “That would mean you would be restored to your former height and your sentence lifted.”

“Moira,” Shannon asked, completely dumbstruck, “are you, you know?”

“I’m offering,” Moira answered, “I’m giving you the choice.”

Shannon was in shock. She wasn’t sure if she was dreaming or if Moira was really giving her a chance at a normal life. She thought about it and weighed the pros and cons of accepting the offer. She knew that even if pardoned, she’d still have a criminal record, but she’d be able to see her family again. Although the thought appealed to her, she didn’t know where she’d go or who would hire her. Moira waited patiently while the little beauty thought it over. After a few minutes of silence, Shannon made her decision and told Moira.

 

It was late August and the traditional Wedding March began to play. Moira strolled down the aisle with a steady pace, her stomach filled with butterflies. She wondered why she was so nervous. She felt like she did when she first got married to John. She gazed forward and smiled when she saw how good looking Ben looked in his white tuxedo. He watched in awe as his radiant fiancé walked towards him, her gown flowing behind her. She stepped up to the alter and stood next to her man.

The pastor began the ceremony by talking about the sacred bond created by the unity of marriage. As he conducted the ceremony, he held their hands. He grinned as the couple exchanged their vows.

Shannon watched as Moira and Ben recited the vows they had written for each other. She figured she had the best view in the place and she was happy to be a part of their wedding day.

When the pastor came to the part with the rings, Moira looked down and took Ben’s ring from the tiny pillow in Shannon’s hands. Shannon, being securely sewn into the dress and situated between Moira’s breasts, looked up with a huge smile at the giantess, who in turn, looked lovingly down at her. Moira placed the ring on Ben’s finger and they said their I dos. The couple kissed passionately and when they finished, turned to face their wedding guests and were introduced as husband and wife.

Shannon was convinced she’d made the right decision when Moira had made her offer. It hadn’t taken her long to realize that if she went back to a normal life, she’d most likely fall in with the wrong crowd again and she didn’t want to go back to that. She’d decided to decline Moira’s pardon, opting for the more structured life she had now. She’d realized the same thing Moira had, the day of her surgery. She’d realized that she belonged with Moira, not to her. That’s why Moira had given her the choice. She had wanted Shannon to decide for herself whether or not she wanted to stay. In effect, Moira had already given her the freedom to decide where she belonged that day and she had decided her own fate.

Since the day Shannon had voiced her decision, Moira had her moved out of the cage and Shannon was given a dollhouse to live in. Moira had stopped regarding Shannon as her prisoner and treated her as a part of the family. The dollhouse served as Shannon’s new home and Moira made it known that, although Shannon had decided not to return to normal, she was very much a free woman. It wasn’t long before Shannon began to look at Moira and Ben as her new family. It also didn’t hurt that Ashes loved her so much. Shannon discovered the sentence that ended her old life had given blossom to a new and better life for her. Yes, for her, it was the right decision.

 

The End