- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Finally, an update! Maybe this means that I'm not dead…?

P.s. I know my comedic side is slowly dying. I'm sorry about that.

P.p.s. Typo in last chapter; Katie was supposed to have stepped on the trailer of the truck carrying a shipment of a popular battle royal game, launching the driver through the windshield.

Ok let's just get on with it, shall we?
“Katie, I think that it is best if we set up a tent soon. It appears that storms might be moving in soon, and lightning is still lighting.”

“Madison, a tent wouldn’t protect me from lighting.”

“At least it would keep you dry.”

“Good point.”

The storm was practically not a threat to Katie, as the chance of lightning was at 0.05%, but Madison decided that it would be nice to set up a tent before night falls anyway. The same cannot be said for the shrunken people. Almost as soon as the rain started to fall, houses started to wash by Katie’s barnhouse-sized feet. She stuck out her feet in an attempt to catch a few of the houses before they got washed away as she sat in the safety of her tent, but the current simply crushed the houses against her feet instead. Horrified, she carefully picked up the rubble and put it in her tent. The survivors were grateful, despite nearly being crushed by their savior's feet.

“You know, that net lying in the corner would have helped.”

Madison gestured to a full-size (to Katie) fishing net lying in the corner of the tent, as well as a few food rations.

“I never knew why they put fishing nets on these lifeboats. Most of the time you don’t want to eat whatever’s in the water anyway. And I wouldn’t think that they had giantess in mind, either.”

“Madison, stop overcomplicating things.”

“Katie, stop assuming that these houses are held together with more than tiny screws and nails. Because they are only held together by tiny screws and nails. These aren’t like those houses that kids used to play with, the ones that you can literally throw a watermelon on and it stays intact. Oh, and there might be people in that rubble, so be careful where you put the rubble. I would not advise putting them anywhere near the flap.”

“Oh relax, it's just a bit of rain.”

“You saw what ‘a bit of rain’ does do their houses. Wouldn’t it also wash away the people?”

“Well… I guess… Madison, why are you so smart?”

“I’m not smart, I just know that a flood that would wash away a house would also wash away the people living inside the house.”

“Madison, stop overcomplicating things.”



The storm had blown itself away by sunrise, and Katie thought for a moment that she went into cryo-sleep in her tent and travelled forward a few more millenia when she walked outside. Trees were uprooted with the debris of houses scattered across the plains. The city had fared a little better, but it appeared that a rather large fire was forming in one of the outer sectors of the city. The field that the farmer had told Katie that she could sleep in was now a stream of mud and debris. Katie feared that if she looked closer, she would see tiny bodies floating past, so she instead focused on the farmhouse on the corner of the farm, with water-filled ditches surrounding it…

“Katie!”

That voice sounded familiar. Except, it was a more masculine voice, and Madison was the only person (or AI construct, whatever) that knew her name for the past 3000 years, unless…

“Hey! Frank to stupidly big sexy chick! Did you go deaf?”

Katie looked down and saw the upper half of a man’s body trapped under a brick wall. Except it wasn’t any random man, it was…

“Mr. Farmer! Er… you need some help?”

“Yeah, can you lift this wall of my legs? I was inspecting the damage when we crossed paths, but I guess that your foot was stronger than this wall, and now I find myself trapped under it. At least you didn't step on me.”

Still recovering from the shock of finding everything tiny, Katie was surprised when the wall was no more than a fifth of a centimeter thick, and it weighed as much as a paperclip when Katie picked it up. Yet it was heavy enough to trap Frank…

“Wait a minute, your name is Frank?”

“Yes ma’am. And your name is Katie?”

“How did you know?”

“You’re talking to your wristband and I hear it calling you ‘Katie’, so it wasn’t that hard. What’s with your wristband anyway?”

“Well, you see, it is an AI.”

“A what-the-spook?”

“An AI. Basically a computer with a mind of its own. It helps me perform some basic tasks, such as reading a map or forecasting the weather.”

“Well, I don’t help Katie. I literally guide her and tell her what to do. My name is Madison, by the way. It is nice to meet you.

“Uhh, nice to meet you, Madison…”

“Well, you weren't lying when you said that your farmhouse meets the safety standards. There were houses literally being washed away.”

“You didn't know? The storms are so strong and the soil is so soft here that we build our homes to simply float with the flood, nah, building sturdy foundations are too hard for us. I bet that it would be easy for you though, at such a size.”

“Hold up, those houses were supposed to be washed away by the storm?” Katie suddenly remembering the half dozen houses that were crushed to splinters against her foot.

“Not like a boat in rapids, they're designed to move a few inches or so.”

“Only a few inches? That’s like hardly any movement!”

“My dear Katie, let me enlighten you and explain how your finger has to be at least a good 2 inches long, and the average house is about 4 or 5 inches tall. Surely you didn't think that we can drill to the rock layer for every house? Nah, that's what they did at the city center. Ever wondered why all of that flood water seemed to flow to downtown?”

“City center’s flooded?”

“Indeed it is. And many people would be trapped till the waters recede.”

“Madison, we have to go help those poor people.”

“And what about Frank?”

“He's fine, but I think that the he people in city center is having a much worse day than we are. We have to help them.”

“Well, time to pay a visit to City Hall, assuming that you don’t crush it.”

“Madison, I actually hate your sense of humor.”

Katie started her way to downtown Phillipville (ugh these rich dudes naming cities after themselves), causing tremors that shook Frank’s entire farm. “There are consequences,” Frank thought as a plate shattered after falling from a cabinet, “to every investment. I hope this Katie kid was a good one.”

He then tripped and fell face first into a massive mud-filled ditch that oddly resembled Katie’s right foot. “Damn she’s a big girl. At least her heart is just as big. I don't know anyone who would walk into a flooded city to help rescue people. But I also don't know anyone who can even reach her ankle. And damn she’s pretty.”

Dusting himself off, he made his way back to his home.



Chapter End Notes:
At least those dudes and dudettes who lived in the homes that are smashed by Katie's foot have some giant sized rations to live off. Oh wait, opening them. Shoot.