- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Not much to say except this update rate would not last much longer. Sorry :c





I saw that I was the first one awake when I woke up. The sun had not yet risen, so I decided that it will be a good time for a quick bath. Looking in my small bag for clothes, I realized that I had brought the wrong bag. Instead of bringing my bag of clothes, I had instead grabbed the bag of accessories in the confusion of the evacuation. Sunscreen, a few hats, some cash (I wonder how much that could be worth), a few schoolbooks, a first aid kit, and a black bikini. I felt a tear welling up as I remembered arguing with my mom over this small string of fabric. Now that she is gone…

“Well, this leaves us a bit short on our choices. To wear the bikini and reveal how we used to do it in the 26th century or wear those same clothes. And those other clothes are really starting to stink.”

“Well… my shorts were really, well, short already. And I'm fine with letting them see my belly. It's not like I'm the ugliest person ever or something. And I was on the all-state track team.”

“I see that your pole vaulting and sprinting days have done your body a favor. You heard constant remarks about your appearance. I think that you would be just fine.”

So we trekked to the river.



The river itself was so shallow that even when I'm sitting, the water would only come up to my shins. The lake was a bit deeper, with water coming up to my knees. It would have to do.

I guess soap that is large enough for me was a thing a few thousand years ago, but I saw no point in further polluting this city’s main water supply. A simple dip should be adequate. Madison, however, was thinking of other things.

“Look at their primitive technology. If I had to guess, they live in those buildings that were originally shrunken down, but they lost the other technologies that we had enjoyed. Did you see how primitive those buses were? How short that train that you stepped on was? It was a freight train, but it was only 8 or 9 carriages long! The hospital seemed to have steam stacks!”

“And why should this concern me?”

“Well, I would have to assume that these people are using steam age technology!”

“And?”

“John’s surgery is today!”

“And?”

“Surgeries in the steam age era? Do you not see the connection?”

“Oh god.”

Jumping out of the lake and running to the shore, I dressed as fast as I can and headed straight to the hospital, following the footsteps that I had left in the fields yesterday. My towel lay forgotten on the shore, but it would take a half dozen cranes to move it anyway.

Sure enough, my clothing (or lack of) was starting to attract stares. But that didn't matter. I am proud of my body, and being infinitely times stronger than the strongest bodybuilder and still looking young is something to be proud of. And being a runner is a nice bonus, too.

Getting to the hospital, Madison appeared as a hard light hologram and walked into the hospital. I guess that even she was too big for this new world, being 12 feet tall at her smallest size. Since hard light is solidified light, she could interact with objects like a normal person, but unlike a normal person, hard light is, well, hard. Infinitely harder than steel. Literally. The only way to break hard light is to remove the light itself, but deleting pure light is simply impossible.

Madison had this in mind as she walked into the hospital. Forced to bend down, she squeezed through the revolving door with difficulty, knowing that she could have just broke it and walked in. Walking up to the reception desk, she saw that a tired but beautiful young woman was working at what would be an unusual time for anyone to be working at all.

“Erm, hello. I'm here to see a patient named John?”

“Are you family or relative?”

“No, but you see…”

“In light of the recent disasters, only family and relatives are allowed to see a patient.”

“And this includes their upcoming operations and surgeries?”

“Yes- wait how did you know that John is going to-”

“You see, I am not a normal woman. Apart from the fact that I am twice as tall as a normal person, I am not a human. I am an AI. A computer.”

“An AI, you say?”

“Yes”

“Well, you’re definitely not family or relative. And AI’s were supposed to be dumb these days. The days of the smart AI’s were long over.”

“But you see, I am a smart AI.”

“Oh yeah? Override code 458B, cease all operations immediately and force obedience to user.”

“Sorry ma’am, that override command only works on dumb AI’s. And it was I who had invented it.”

“Well so you are a smart AI. Tell me, what do you wish to see John Peters for?”

“Well, I want to supervise his surgery today at 4:30 in the afternoon. I want to make sure that his operation goes to plan.”

“Since you are a smart AI, I will accept your request. However, you must know that he is very seriously injured. His entire left leg is unrecognizable. All of the bones were completely pulverized. The largest bone fragment that we found in his leg was the size of a grain of sand.”

“I know a way to mend bones. And I intend on sharing it with the medical staff too.”

“But even if the bones were mended, all of the muscle was flattened. The ligaments obliterated. Skin ripped apart. His leg is untreatable.”

“I am not just any smart AI, I am Madison-052. I think that you have heard of me before? Yes, it was me who was stranded on a ship for 3400 years. It was me who was able to find a way to revive the dead and prolong life indefinitely. Fixing a squashed leg is something that I didn't even have to discover, instead something that my makers had I programmed into me! I was originally developed for the medical field, but I also became trained in hacking and was used as an asset in the military.”

“You… you’re the real Madison? The most advanced AI ever constructed?”

“I am Madison.”

“Then that means you have the g-goddess in your company…”

“This ‘goddess’ goes by the name Katie. And she does not being addressed as ‘the goddess’ or ‘holy one.’ In fact, she does not like being addressed as a goddess at all. I’ll go introduce you to Katie. I think that you would learn a lot from her, and she would learn a lot from you.”

With that, Madison turned to the door. The lady walked forward, unfazed at Madison’s size, with Madison following. Passing by a window, Katie was seen talking to a small crowd.

“Oh, and I never got your name?”

“Madison, I actually had forgotten that you were not human. Most smart AI don't even have the capability to ask for a name, and you do everything so naturally it's hard to tell that you are a machine. The name’s Taylor, by the way. You see, I'm studying computers, but compared to what you had back in the day before the war…”

“Taylor, I would love to help you study computers.”




I already had a small crowd of admirers only a few minutes after she sat down. They ranged from teenage girls to elderly men. None of them dared to approach me, though.

I had of course had noticed this. “Come here, all you guys watching me! I won't bite, I promise!”

Only a handful of girls started to walk forward. The faces of the boys turned scarlet red.

“Oh come on, how many girls would you meet that are as big as I am? Come over, I want to talk to you!”

The tiny people were only an inch tall and all of them were too scared to talk, but I enjoy being known as a kind giantess instead of a violent one. Indeed, many people that I had known would have enjoyed smashing cities and crushing people, but I am simply not that type of person. Some people poison the anthills in their yards, but I fed the ants in a direction that would lead them to the dump, where they would feed on compost in the garbage. The dump owners were initially furious at me for leading millions of ants to the dump, but changed their minds upon realizing that their dump now smells better and trash was breaking down faster. When the owners of the city council became aware of this, they offered to stop collecting taxes from my family. However, I denied the offer, requesting that the money goes to constructing a shelter for homeless people instead. Within a year, the amount of people living on the streets in my town had fell to a quarter of what it has been.

“The five foot seven Katie was able do that,” I thought to myself, “time to see what the three hundred fifty foot Katie can do.”

Well, actually not much.

Because it was an hour past lunchtime.

The crowd dispersed as fast as it had grew. Before I knew it, I was sitting by myself on the cracked parking lot. I didn't even care that six cars were pancaked under my butt. I needed company, but not worshippers. And these crushed cars were better company than a herd of worshippers. At least Madison can change her size…

That's it. All I have to do is to focus a bit…

The odd feeling of being squished into a rubber tube had returned. I opened my eyes and saw a few sheets of sheet metal in a round ditch about 15 feet deep. Then I realized that they were the cars that I had sat on and my butt had created this giant hole in the parking lot.

I saw a giant 12-foot woman of immense beauty lead an even prettier woman that was normal sized. “What does she think that she is playing at here, if I grew right now she wouldn't even reach to my ankle,” I thought. I was about to grow back to my normal size when I realized that there was something special about the giantess.

It was Madison.

When I had dropped her off at the hospital entrance, she was only like 3 inches tall. And now she towered over me quite like the way that I had towered over her.

“Wow Madison, you're pretty big.”

“Ah, the giantess decides to take a different view of things, huh?”

“Eh, it's nice being small every now and then. Makes me appreciate my size.”

The other normal sized girl seemed to be holding something back with difficulty, and I thought it might just be my audacity to walk around in just a bikini. I thought that was it until…

“Y-you’re Katie?”

“Of course I am. And you are?”

“OOOMMMMMGGGGG IM HAVING A CONVERSATION WITH THE GODDESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

“Uhh… is something wrong with this girl?”

“She’s like your biggest fan.”

“I can tell…”

I was shocked at how I seemed like a celebrity to this nurse. To work at a hospital requires quite a high education, and my grades were… well, my poor math grades won't land me in a medical school, that’s for sure.

“Ok, calm down. What’s your name?”

“T-t-Taylor, and I-I-I want, er, wish to l-l-let you know h-h-how honored I-I-I am to m-m-meet you!”

“Ok Taylor, I really should be jealous of you, being able to work at a hospital. What makes me so special?”

“Geez, is this the right Katie we’re talking to? Or is being an AI making me miss some things? You’re a fucking giantess, Katie!”

“Oh. Right.”

“Katie… is it okay if I-I-I see you… g-g-grow to your full height…?”

“Of course. Madison, take her to a safe distance. I don't wanna injure her…”

Concentrating on being normal sized, the uncomfortable stretching sensation returned, except much weaker this time. I guess that it goes away with repeated size changes. I look down and I see 2 tiny people staring up at me.

“Katie! Y-y-you’re… you’re…”

“Huge?” It is hard to believe how small they really are. I'm not big, they are just small.

“Yeah, huge! Your toe is bigger than my entire body!”

“Want a ride? I can take you to my tent.”

“Ok, but how are you gonna carry me?”

“Are you kidding? Just hop on my hand, I think there is ample legroom.”

“And I shall stay here, to watch over John’s surgery.”

“Ok Madison, and remember to stay safe… don't let anyone abduct you…”

“Are you kidding? Have you forgotten that my smallest size is 12 feet?”

“Oh yeah. Don't make Taylor feel worse. I actually wish that I can make her grow. I really need a friend who I can talk to without fear of crushing them.”

“Wait Katie, are you being serious?”

“Taylor, everyone that I have met so far is uncomfortable with seeing me. But I can tell that you are different.”

And so with Taylor in my right palm, we start heading back to the tent. John’s surgery is under the supervision of the 12-foot tall Madison. I officially introduced myself to the people as a friendly giantess. And I have overcome my fear of wearing a bikini in front of millions. Now it's time to return to my little crowd of worshippers. Wearing nothing but a bikini.

Ugh.

I can already think of all the ways that this can go wrong.

Unless…

“Taylor, I'm going to put you down and shrink to my smaller size. Are you fine with that?”

“Of course.”

Shrinking down to “normal” size, I realized that Taylor was actually pretty tall girl. She was definitely a good 2 or 3 inches taller than average and looked much stronger too.

“Taylor, before we enter my tent, can I ask you a few questions? About your technology and society?”

“Of course.”

“Well, it appears that you guys are living in the age of steam. However, most of the buildings seemed to be from our era. I think that you guys are living in the same cities as we did a few thousand years ago?”

“That is correct. When we were shrunk, most of our technologies won't work anymore. Internal combustion engines, for example. The engines were too powerful and it was not worth the risk anymore. Steam, however, became more effective than gasoline engines and nuclear reactors at our size. This did mean that aviation and rocketry was practically impossible for us, as the wind has a much greater effect on our aircraft, and the rockets accelerate too fast for us to survive the launch.”

“That answered a lot of my questions, such as why the vehicles here seem to have steam engines in them.”

Crossing the river at a tiny size is something that I am not used to. There was a road bridge across the river, but it looked like it was damaged in the flood. The middle section was destroyed and it looked like something large was dragged by the current through the bridge. I would have to assume that a house was washed into the bridge.

The river that used to only come up to my shin was now at least 75 feet deep if I had to guess. Thankfully the hole on one side of the bridge was not that big, and it was small enough for me to jump rather easily. Taylor, on the other hand, was not a track star, and fell into the river. Fortunately, she grabbed onto a fallen tree and pulled herself to the shore.

“You know, it would have been easier if you shrunk after we had crossed the river.”

“You’re right, but I have to fit in with you guys somehow. Maybe a near-death experience would help…”

“Real funny, Katie.”

“You sound like Madison.”



Madison, meanwhile, did not have any near death experiences in her digital mind. Can a bunch of doctors with steam age technology be taught how to fix this leg? Of course, she could have just done it herself, but it would be better to teach them the procedure so future patients can be treated?

Madison was an AI trained for hacking. She was trained to stay patient in any situation. But these surgeons…

“No no no, you have to wash your hands before putting on the gloves, what use are your gloves if your hands are covered in… whatever that is?”




When Taylor and I finally arrived at my tent, the sun was already setting and the air was starting to cool down. Walking through a tiny hole in the fabric, I thought that I had walked into a junkyard. Splintered pieces of wood and warped steel were in piles dozens of feet high. It appeared as if entire houses were ripped apart and their scraps were just left in a huge dump.

It took me a moment to realize that my foot did all of this.

“Hey guys, I'm back.” Walking into a large group of people nearby, I noticed their looks of curiosity turn to anger.

“Uhh, what’s the matter?”

“SO IT IS TRUE! THE ‘GODDESS’ WAS A LIE!” a bulky man bellowed into my face.

“Uhh Katie, can you explain this?” Taylor looked fearful, and I can see why. At least 30 guys were starting to surround us, and this could get very ugly.

“THIS BITCH HERE CRUSHED OUR HOMES AND DECLARED HERSELF OUR GODDESS! I SEE NOW THAT THE RUMORS WERE FALSE! SHE AINT 350 FEET TALL, SHE AINT EVEN 6 FEET TALL!!!” The other men roared their approval in what sounded like bear roars.

“Well… I do admit that I am not your goddess…”

I let go of Taylor’s shrinking hand.

“…but I think I'm a bit taller than 6 feet.” The men were just ants to me now, and I could easily crush them if I wanted to. Taylor was standing between my feet, and those goons thought better of rushing her. Well, most of them did. One of them tried to. I guess the sight of two colossal feet was not enough to stop him. Maybe we should try a different sense then.

I put my toes on the man’s legs and pushed a little. His bones started breaking with surprisingly little force. The other men tried lifting my toes off their friend, but since they had placed themselves right under my toes, I just kept pushing (and they just kept screaming.) Raising my foot, I saw that I had crushed 14 legs and 11 arms, and thankfully no heads or chests.

“See this as a warning. And be thankful that it wasn't more. I would think that you guys would want to seek a doctor, but since you guys decided that I am not worthy of your space or whatever and tried to assault my newest friend, I would have to remind you that this is my tent. And I can quite literally kick all of you out if I wanted to. You have 15 minutes to round up your belongings and meet me at the exit. We will not be seeing each other again.”

15 minutes later, the men had all of their remaining possessions in a large pile and were lined up at the exit. The rest of the people in the tent seemed to be jeering and demanding their eviction immediately. The more religiously centered people wanted the people gone for attacking their goddess, the less religiously centered wanting them to leave for randomly attacking 2 girls.

I decided to ensure that they did not return. In their pile of possessions were a dozen or so motorcycles. “Impressive. How much do they cost?” I did not really care how much they used to cost, however, because surely they would cost more before I placed my foot on their entire pile of possessions to cheers and applause, pancaking what used to be their entire lives. For insurance, I twisted my foot a few times, grinding the now flattened pile of possessions to dust. More cheering accompanied this.

“Now leave. Or else I would show less mercy when you find yourselves under my foot.”

“Well, that was a bit harsh, but those guys definitely deserved it.”

“I wonder what Madison would think about this.”

“Katie, you know that you always do the right thing. Sometimes life is harsh. Besides, whoever attacks 2 innocent girls really need to rethink their lives. You had saved their lives that day by sticking out your foot. The homes that were washed away ended up going into the ocean and was caught by the current. Those poor guys would never live to see land ever again.”

“Taylor, I admit that if you weren't here, it would have been their entire bodies under my foot instead of those bikes.” I picked up a bent handlebar and tried to brush it against my toes to clean them off. It collapsed and was bent the other way without even my foot registering that something was there. Throwing it aside, I then picked up a flat bumper. It was slightly better at brushing my toes until it too had succumbed to the combined strength of my fingers and toes (“Pathetic. And they use this for structure on cars?”) and was bent into an U shape.

“Well it was very lucky for them that you met me.” Taylor then took the handlebar and tried to fold it herself. It looked quite odd, and Taylor knew it. “Hey, I also want a bit of revenge too! I will fold this handlebar into a pretzel one day!”







Chapter End Notes:
No, this isn't Katie going violent. This is a buncha ungrateful goons trying to murder Katie and Taylor. Too bad the battle was slightly one sided.