- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This one is a long one. Hope you all enjoy :)
You don’t know fear until you’re looking up at a face a couple of times larger than your whole body. Till you hear a voice coming from (relatively) so far but sounds so close it vibrates your bones. Till you realize… you’re barely as tall as the length of a pair of lips.


I mean, I’d been a street kid for a long time, at least a decade. I knew fear. I knew what the fear of not having food for a few days straight was, the fear that came with sliding down the steep concrete and onto the highway. But this… this was beyond fear. I believe this is what is known as terror.

Every cell in my body, every instinct told me to find my way outta there. So I did, as quick as my tiny legs would carry me.


“And now, the prey runs,” she laughed. I turned and twisted around the maze, trying to get away from her gaze. But it was just not possible. June was so tall, she overlooked all the “walls” and kept an amused eye on me.


“When you are ready to surrender,” she boomed down at me, “Come to me. We have much work to do, Arthur.” She crouched down and set her hand palm up, the massive thing barely fitting into the walls of the maze. “But here’s a warning,” she said, almost dreamily, “The longer you take to choose my hand, the less patient I will be. I do not think you want that?” she asked mockingly.

I had never wanted to flee so badly, but I also knew that I’d be caught anyway. And the idea of that huge hand swooping down onto me, like a hawk on a rat, it shook me to my core. I turned to her and took a deep breath.


“I… I’m surren-ren-dering,” I stuttered, approaching her hand cautiously. She smiled cruelly and snatched me up. The force of my sudden ascent slammed me into her soft flesh and dry heave. It was something that you’d never think you’d have to go through outside of an amusement park.

“Good choice, little one. Now, you must be cold, you are shivering!” she exclaimed, nearly knocking me down with the sheer power of her voice. Her eyes glanced down at my legs, and I became painfully aware of my nudity. I quickly covered myself with my hands, unwilling to lose my dignity.


She cocked her head to the side and smirked. “Yes, cover yourself, it has caused me to completely forget what that cute little penis looks like.”

“Hey, lady. I’m a grower, not a shower!” I snarled. But I said it in my head, so no one heard it but me.

“I believe I can warm you right up; however, tell me: how long can you hold your breath?”

Before I could answer, she dangled me above her mouth and swung me back and forth… teasing me.


“Dr. June, what are you doing?!” I shrieked, horrified at the huge, gaping chasm just below.

“Why, nothing yet! I swear you will be warm! Just let me see if my tastebuds will appreciate you.” I Her enormous tongue lapped over the front of my body, dousing me in a warm, oddly pleasant liquid. Saliva.


“Yes,” she laughed, “you will be just fine.” And with that, she placed me on her outstretched tongue, and before I could even think about jumping off and into the maze, she pulled me in to the recesses of her mouth.

My world went black before I could even issue a scream. And even when I did scream, my mouth is filled with her saliva. Her tongue swished me about, informing itself of my whole body, slathering my hair in the heavy liquid, and playing with my legs… and, more terribly, my penis, who does not object to showing his comfort in this huge cave.

“Ahhhh….” I moaned involuntarily as her tongue stroked my dick, the tip of her tongue curled, literally pulling me off.

I gained my senses and punched the tongue away. It shrugged off the impact, but receded to the bottom of her mouth anyway. I clambered over to her teeth and banged on them with all my strength.


“Let me out, let me out!” I cried in despair. “I’ll do anything, I swear, just let me out!”


Not a second later, she spit out onto her palm, as I gasped at fresh air, rejecting any liquids in my mouth. I inhaled several deep breaths and thought of disgusting things to get my dick to calm down; and I am ashamed to tell you that I can’t begin to explain to you what the hell was wrong with me for even slightly enjoying what had just happened.


“Enjoy that, did you, tiny one?” she boomed above me. I shook my head and felt a surge of defiance explode in my chest.


“Why would you do that?! Stick me in your mouth, lick me, abuse me and my body, WHY DID YOU SHRINK ME?!?!” I screamed at her, my anger vibrating in my bones. But it’s the sudden laugh that shook me the most.


“Oh, Arthur, you are so feisty!” she giggled, exactly like a schoolgirl with a new toy. Which, in a way, is what I was.


“Listen closely, little one, as I’m only going to say this once. You are not going to be missed. You are an outcast. Your family is gone, the few friends you have will forget you. So, I am using you!” she paused, as if to let it sink in.

“Therefore, I needed you to test my work out. You must know, Arthur, that I am a science major in Biology and Chemistry separately. I have been developing an ingestible drug that relayers the sub-atomic composition of…” My slack-jawed expression must’ve convinced her she was wasting her time, because she stopped and cleared her throat. “Well, let’s just say I made it to be possible to shrink.”

We walked to the table and she sat, cupping my entire body in the jungle of her fingers. She picked up the slab of metal I dropped in my attempt to flee, and at that size, I noticed a tiny inscription. She grabbed a magnifying glass and inspected the surface, but when she found the inscription, a small gasp escaped her. It was a strange expression, but I was certain the woman looked afraid. Panicked.


She cleared her throat and blinked, ridding her face of any emotion I could’ve possibly noticed. She turned to me and shot me a psychotic grimace.


I lowered my gaze, unable to take it. I had already been through a lot, and like I said before, I was a street kid and by law of nature, I had to be resourceful to survive years of hunger and homelessness. But this was not my world. There had been a time when I had been tall enough to ward off a potential attacker. But… here? I wasn’t scaring anything but the fleas.

I glanced around, looking for any possible escape. But June took notice.

“Tut, tut, tut,” she says. “No escape for you, child. Not until I have finished with you, that is. Beyond that… who knows if you will live?” My legs were shaking so badly, I was positive it couldn’t have been me shaking, it must’ve been her! This… psycho-doctor-woman wanted to experiment on me of all people, simply because I didn’t have a family? A home? It was beyond wrong, but you can’t expect a moral compass from someone who is capable of stuffing you in their nasty mouths.

I swallowed hard and looked up in what was supposed to be defiance—but I was sure that it looked like I was crapping my pants. “What now?” She gently turned me over in her huge hand and set me down next to a ruler, stretching my body (not so gently this time). “5.5 centimeters,” she muttered. “20 grams,” she added, wind whistling through her teeth. Her tongue moved weird when she spoke. As for my fascination for her mouth, I can only attribute that to the terror I felt for it. I didn’t ever want to go back in it again, though I sincerely doubted I would get to choose if it came down to it.


“You’re shaking. Would you like to…” she stuck her tongue out and licked her lips, “warm up?”


“NO! NO, PLEASE GOD NO!” I screamed, but I knew the futililty when I saw her hand swoop down and lift me so quick I was flattened against her palm.


“Here we-” r32;BA DUM DA DUM, BA DUM, BA DUM DA DUM DA DUM DA DUH DA DUM, DUH.


The pink panther theme song screamed from her shirt pocket, and instantly i was thrown onto a counter. She quickly left the room and enclosed herself in a separate one. Despite the heavy oak door muffling her voice, I could make out a conversation.


“Yes, hello? … Yes, it was successful, in a way… I mean that, the target did not end up being the target… Yes, but I followed the tracker, it led me to him. How was I supposed to know...”

It was surreal! She was in a totally different room, door closed and all… and yet I could hear her! My ears were incredible, amped up to unbelievable levels.


“I understand. Tomorrow, then.” She walked in, with a face that definitely betrayed her fear. Of what, I didn’t understand.

“tomorrow, Arthur, I will be giving you to one of your classmates. You were the… ahem, final test subject, and I can see that my drug has exceeded expectations. I no longer have any need of you. Whether you survive with the person I give you to is your own affair.” She continued to talk, but my mind was going at a million miles an hour. What? Test subject? Who? Who’s expectations?


I began to ponder more, but…
WHAAAPPPPPPPPPP! I was airborne!!!


“AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!” I landed on the tile with a brutal jolt and bounced again and again, finally skidding to a painful stop.


“YOU DO NOT IGNORE ME!!!! WHEN I ASK A QUESTION, IT WILL BE ANSWERED!” with unbelievable speed, she bounded towards me and slapped her sandaled foot onto me.


“I can’t hear you begging for your life, worm.” Her excitement at my helplessness frightened me.


“Please… don’t… don’t kill me…” I whimpered. Pathetic! But necessary. This woman was unstable.


“Good. Now, sleep. Tomorrow will be very traumatic for you!” She picked me up and carried me over to the tank I’d seen earlier. It had already seemed big when I first saw it. Now… it was beyond words.


“Good night.” She dumped me unceremoniously and quickly left the room.




Hours passed. A clock off in the distance dabbled in and out of my attention. I had fashioned some clothes out of a tissue, kind of like a toga. And I could not begin to sleep. My mind was bristling with energy, near the point of spilling over into madness. My senses were in overdrive, attempting to compensate, but for what, I wasn’t sure. The darkness I could handle; quiet nights on the highway could potentially be this dark. But the silence… the loss of my most sensitive ears was nearly maddening. But…

“Can I hear my own heart? They can always do that in movies,” I wondered aloud. I concentrated hard and listened for it…
thuthump, thuthump, ThuTHUMP, ThuTHUMP


“Woah.” The increasing sound of my heart was infinitely reassuring, even if it was going too quickly.

“Okay, so… she slapped me, I flew, and here I am without a single scratch. So…” I finished, glancing at the clear wall. Without a second thought, I barreled at it at my full speed. Just before I changed my mind, I slammed into the glass, nose-first.
CrikkkkBONK!

The last thing I heard before blacking out was the sound of my nose cracking and blood spewing out of me like a… a…

-------------------------------------

I woke up what must've been hours later, my face caked in dried blood. I reached for my nose, expecting it to be tender to the touch, but no.

“Woah. Unreal,” I whispered, absolutely astounded that my nose was completely fine. I pushed, pulled, and even tapped it against the blood-spattered wall. Nothing. No pain. Just pressure. I slipped my hand inside my makeshift clothes and pinched my nipple hard.

“Yowza!” I cried, but not out of pain. There was no way! No pain? It was as if my body didn't even recognize pain. It was unbelievably cool and scary at the same time. I mean, pain has evolved with all living creatures for a reason, right? So, we must need pain, or at least our bodies find it useful for something. But this lack of pain was incredible and really made me wonder.

I wanted to explore more of my body’s abilities, but my brain, seemingly sated by this knowledge, craved rest. I settled down slowly, hoping to sleep some before I was given away the next day.


A nightmare I immediately forgot startled me out of my slumber. The tiny analog clock next to the “bed” read 3:39 in glowing red numbers.


SCRITCH SCRITCH

I sat up quickly. A weird, eerie scratching sound against the small cardboard area that I hadn’t explored before, on the way far side of the tank. Sweat began to leak out of my pores. I walked around the aquarium slowly, armed with only a huge toothpick I had found earlier.

“helppppppp!” I jumped back a few feet. That was DEFINITELY a scream. I slunk towards the cardboard and tugged on the “door”.

No dice. It didn’t even budge. But looking over at a bottle cap in the distance, I got an idea.

“Hey! Hold on in there, I’ll be quick!” I called. The only answer I got was a blood-curdling scream, straight out of a nightmare. I sped off to the cap and dragged it over, surprisingly easily. It should’ve weighed at least a couple dozen pounds considering the density of water and the size of the cap. But I dragged it off like it was some sort of bean bag. My strength astounded me, but I didn’t have time to reflect on it.

I pulled it over to the cardboard and tried splashing it with my hands, but that was as useless as throwing sand at the beach. I took a glance at the cap and, remembering the strength I possessed, I put one hand one each side and almost effortlessly had it off the ground, on my shoulders. Without a second thought, I dumped it on the cardboard and began clawing at it with my bare hands.

“AGGGGAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!” The persons screams reverberated through my body and shook my soul. But as afraid as I was, I continued to dig at the soggy mess. When my hand broke through, I called out.

“Hello? Is anyone… no, that’s dumb. Dumbass. Of course there’s someone in there… Uh, can you help me dig through this?” I screamed into the darkness.

“Wh-wh-wh-o-oo-oo-oo is-s-s there-ere?”

I swear to god, I had never heard such pain in a voice before. It sounded like they hadn’t drank water after years of living in a bone dry desert.

“I’m Art, I’m gonna help you, alright? But help me dig through the cardboard!”

I got no verbal answer, but immediately felt them claw and scratch at the walls.

After almost half an hour, when we had both been clawing the cardboard nonstop, I saw something that to this day, frightens me. A young man, black hair and facial hair grown out and clothed in underwear of some sort. His body completely emaciated, ribs far more prominent than belly. Cheekbones protruding and sunken, yellow eyes.

“I… I… who...?” I whispered, speechless.

“I’m… I am…” he coughed hard. The hacking sounds, nails on chalkboard.

“Name is Marco,” he wheezed. “I been in box for as long as can remember. And you suffer like me if you not escape.”




“What year is it?” He asked. I told him. We had moved to my sponge bed and were sitting on the edge. I was intent on knowing his story. He was eager to have a conversation with someone besides himself. It worked out.

“My God,” he said silently. His grammar had improved tremendously in the few minutes I had conversing with him. “I’ve been this woman’s… no, not a woman. She’s a monster! A creature from hell. She has had me for 10 years. I haven’t eaten… FOOD!!!!!!!” He yelled so suddenly, so powerfully I jumped a solid five feet in the air. My body definitely had some strength enhancements.
“Do you have any?” He said nervously, as if June were listening in on us.

“Um… no. She didn’t give me any,” I snapped, mildly annoyed. I was scared, angry, and definitely curious. And so far, I had zero answers. “Marco, what is her deal?”

“She… I honestly don’t know much,” he admitted. “All I think I know is that she hasn’t shrunk anyone in a while. I think I was the first, and hopefully the last. Besides you, d’oh.”

I sat down and tried to absorb it. There I was, with the luck of a dead leprechaun and the first shrunken person in a decade. All I wanted was for someone to wake me up when I got back to reality.

But something about him tugged at my stomach, like I was missing a crucial part of his story. Impatiently, I asked, “What were you like, Marco? I mean, before she shrunk you?”

He shrugged. “An orphan. A real nobody, honestly. She caught me out in the rain one day, told me she could help me out; you know, give me a home or whatever. So I followed her here, and she shrank me down…” he bit his lip and looked down at the floor. I could tell he was building up for something, so I let him take his time.

“I had a girlfriend,” he said after a few moments. “Her name was Lauren, and I miss her.” He looked up at me, and in the pale light from the clock I saw his eyes glistening. “I wonder sometimes, you know, when the hunger doesn’t take over my mind, how she is. I wonder if…”

“If she’s moved on?”, I finished gently. He shook his head. “No, I mean, that would be selfish, you know? To expect her to wait for the guy that disappeared a decade ago.” He cleared his throat and shifted. The conversation was definitely over.

“What about me? What do you think she’ll do to me?” I questioned after many minutes had elapsed.

“What has she told you?”, he said evenly. I tried to recall her words to me.

“She said she was going to pass me off to a classmate, or something. Tomorrow,” I said. He scratched his neck and closed his eyes. “She has very little reason to lie to you. I’m guessing that she really will let you go,” he said bitterly. It was obvious why; I had only spent a day with this woman, and he had spent 10 years.

“Is there anything I can do for you? I can’t live knowing you’ll be stuck here.” He laughed hoarsely and grabbed my arm. “My friend, you’ve freed me from the cardboard over there,” he gestured to the corner. “I honestly believe she forgot about me, so I’ll be a surprise to her tomorrow!” He let my arm go and sighed. I glanced at the clock. 5 AM.

“Hey, listen. We should probably head our separate ways now. I’m guessing it’s almost time for her to wake up, and I don’t think you want to make her mad in the morning,” I said calmly, feeling he would know. He would know the real reason I wanted to part was that he could ruin my chance of getting away from her. I looked at him solemnly, and saw him click. His eyes darkened, but he didn’t look angry. I hope he understood that I was looking for freedom, same as him.

“Hey, Arthur?” He said as we started walking separate ways.

“Yeah, Marco?” I answered.

“Never forget what freedom is. Someday, when you return to normal, when the world finds a cure for you,” he said confidently, “You have to come looking for me. Save me. Remember me.”

I looked him up and down and promised.

No. I would never forget.
Chapter End Notes:
Please review and send me your thoughts!