- Text Size +

The two men stood there and looked at each other as they began to decide whether to allow Maxine and Charles to enter the dock. It was unusual to have a high born arrive there as they would likely send an underling of some kind to go in their stead. They had no idea that she was actually the daughter of a farmer and blacksmith and couldn't be of more common birth when it came to bloodline.

If she had been her full size this wouldn't be too much of a problem but her appearance in Flea Bay would have likely been noticed. The fact that she was short now, meant that she could pass off as a normal person much easier. Now she was a little nervous since if they failed here, she could kiss whatever chances she had of regaining her size goodbye.

"Very well Miss Smith," said the Large Man.

"That's Lady Smith," replied Maxine. She wanted to keep the illusion that she was some stuck up high born.

"Ok, Lady Smith, you may enter." He didn't really like her tone, but if what she had said was true. Going against her was likely to be more trouble than it was worth. "But remember to keep yourself to yourself. Some people who operate here don't care if your family are lords or clean up pig shit. One wrong move and you might leave here a head shorter, my lady."

"I will keep that in mind." Her tone was still arrogant but she knew that she had to heed their words. Each move that she made was with great care. Any mistake would be catastrophic for her. She did turn to look at Charles who was standing close by. "Come along Tyler, we're going."

Charles was confused for a moment before he realised that Tyler was a name that she was giving him. Quickly he nodded to her and walked towards her as she walked away. The two men looked at them for a moment but soon their attention was drawn to a person who like Maxine and Charles before had wanted to enter the dock.

Now that they had gotten by, the pair continued to walk. Even though Charles was following Maxine, he wasn't sure if he knew exactly where she was going. The truth was that she had never been there before but her determination drove her on. No matter what it took, she wanted to get her size and strength back.

"M-Ma'am," said Charles. His voice was quiet and he made sure that she was the only one who could hear him. "Do you even know where you're going?"

"Not exactly," replied Maxine. This didn't fill him with too much confidence but her tone did put him at some ease. "But if we ask around, we'll find the Weasel and then my size. That I can promise you."

"Please just be careful, I don't want you to."

"I'd be more worried about the Weasel when I get my hands on him. I'm going to wrap my hands around his head and squeeze until it pops like a tomato." At that time, she was gesturing her hands with actually doing the deed. She remembered that she had promised her mother that she wouldn't kill anyone else. But right now, she was very tempted.

For the next couple of minutes, they continued to walk forward until they reached what looked to be a small building. There were a couple of people outside and they couldn't help but observe as people walked inside and mentioned what it was in particular that they wanted. After that, they would be directed to the merchant that they needed to see for the product or service they needed.

Seeing that this was their best chance to find what they were looking for; they also began to queue up. There weren't too many people in front of them as they waited and it seemed quite convenient that it was there. However, since it was there for people who didn't know their way around. Even though the merchants were selling stolen or illegal material, they still wanted to make sure that their customers could find them. Some of their products could only be sold in a short amount of time.

In a way to Charles, this made it seem a little more mundane than he was expecting. He thought that there would be more secrecy when it came to something like this, but instead it seemed more normal than he could have imagined. Instead he remained silent as he and Maxine remained in line. It wasn't a particularly long line but each person normally took several minutes before they could be seen to. It was a little annoying for the now short woman as she felt that she was close, but now simply had to wait her turn before she could go any further.

Eventually the time did come for them to be seen to. They could see a relatively old woman sitting behind a desk with a couple of muscular men standing either side of it. They were not too dissimilar to the men that had originally stopped the pair once they had wanted to enter the pier.

It was obvious to both of them that these men were acting as security and because of this, Maxine knew that it was best to keep her cool and simply go through whatever protocol was needed. She had witnessed the people ahead of her and seen how they had acted, she decided that it was for the best that she acted in the same manner.

The woman sitting behind the desk didn't look particularly abnormal. If anything, Maxine and Charles would have expected to see such a person in any normal setting. Her hair was pretty grey and she had what looked to be a book in front of her that she wrote down in. It was quite rare to find someone who could read and write. Charles was one of the few that could and it seemed that this woman had some form of education.

"Name?" asked the Woman sitting behind the desk. Her question was quick and to the point, she also expected some kind of pseudo name as many customers here didn't like to use their real names.

"Lady Alexandra Smith," replied Maxine without missing a beat. Even though she was lying it wasn't obvious to anyone watching on.

"Unusual to have a high born here and still using their name." She found this a little suspicious but nothing that was worth raising the alarm about.

"I have nothing to hide."

"Very well and what is your reason for coming to this part of Flea Bay?"

"The gods were cruel enough to not bless me with great height that I would have liked. I am here to rectify that."

"Hmm, so you want to obtain magic? That is something that is rare and incredibly expensive." Normally people came here for something ill-gotten or that would be impossible to obtain through legal means.

"Money is not an issue for me. Does this place have anything that could help me?"

"Well you could always buy some heels. Something like that would be much easier and cheaper for you."

"It is not the same to me. I want to be so tall that I have to look down at everyone like my status should."

"Ah so you're like that, not satisfied with any alternatives. I can respect that, well today is a lucky day for you. As it so happens, a merchant in these parts has recently obtained something that could make your desires come true. But first, you have to pay me for my services before we continue."

"Of course." She then nodded to Charles who stepped forward and placed a pouch with money inside of it. This was the last of the money that they had but they hoped that it would be enough to get them to where they needed to go. They watched as the woman opened the pouch and peered inside of it. She grunted a little before passing it over to one of the men standing guard.

"The merchant that you want to speak to is located in the old fish market around half a mile from here. It's a large building that is hard to miss." She then pointed towards a street that was easily viewed from where they were standing. "Just walk that way and you'll find it eventually. Once you arrive, knock on the door and the key word is Tulips. Now be on your way, I have more people to see."

Maxine could do nothing more than give a quick thanks to the woman before she and Charles stepped away and down towards the street that they had been told to travel down. One thing that she had noticed was that there were no names given at all. She had been considering asking about the Weasel but she thought better against it. If she had done, it might have been seen as suspicious. Instead she would simply keep it to herself and ask when she felt that it was needed.

Charles was still nervous about everything. They were practically defenceless and he knew that Maxine's persona could only go so far before someone figured out exactly who she was and it would be trouble for the both of them. This time he didn't think that they would survive as dealing with a criminal underworld of any kind never ends well. It caused him to take a small gulp.

Although it seemed to be quite a sunny day there were several clouds above and, in a way, it mirrored the feelings of Maxine. She was optimistic about regaining her size but although she didn't want to admit it, she did have her doubts. A part of her even considered that it was for the best that she remained the way that she was and lived a simpler life. But then another part of her refused to believe this, she had worked too hard for everything that she had gained and she refused to throw it instead. This only added to her determination as she was willing to go any length to get back what was stolen from her.

"A-Alexandra, may I ask you a question?" asked Charles. There was some nervousness in his voice. It wasn't due to fear towards her, instead it was because of the environment that he had found himself in.

"What is it?" replied Maxine. She did like the fact that he had remembered to call her by her alias rather than her real name.

"I was just wondering, when we do get to this fish market and find the people who have your size. What do you plan on doing? You don't have the money to buy it, in fact after that last little exchange, we don't have any money at all."

"It's simple, we grab onto it after we distract them and then allow my size to re-enter my body. That way I will return to my former self and fight off anyone that comes my way. Even if I'm unarmed, I should still be able to do it."

"I-I see." This plan seemed flimsier than he was comfortable with. After just a few moments of thinking he was able to come up with at least a dozen ways that the plan would fail and would likely lead to their deaths. He knew that she wasn't stupid enough to not figure that out herself. But with everything that had happened she was on the verge of desperation. In a way he felt very sorry to her.

Eventually their walk came to an end when they saw a large building just ahead of them. On the side of it they were able to see the word 'Fish' written on it although the lettering had begun to fade. There was also a picture of a fish right next to it as it helped those who were unable to read.

It was obvious to both of them that this was the place that they were looking for. Rather than running towards their destination, Maxine remained calm and simply walked with Charles by her side. It was easy for them to find the door that led into the building, carefully they knocked on the door and for a few moments nothing seemed to happen. However, someone did eventually answer it. A small slot in the door above them opened up and a pair of eyes looked down at them. They didn't seem to be impressed with what they could see but business was still business.

"What's the Keyword?" asked the Man standing behind the door. He had strict orders to not allow anyone in unless they had the right keyword. He was even ordered to use deadly force if necessary.

"Tulip," replied Maxine. "Now let us."

Without saying a word, the man closed the slot of the door and there was the clanking sound as the door was being unlocked. After a few moments the door eventually opened and they could see the man who had been standing there. He was surprisingly short and even needed a stool to properly reach up to the door. He still had quite a muscular frame but despite this his appearance did surprise them. Despite his lack of height, he was still several inches taller than Maxine.

"Walk to the large area through those doors," said the Man. He pointed to a couple of doors just ahead of them. "No funny business or else you and your companion there will be leaving here without a head."

"You dare threaten a member of House Smith of the Pryde Islands?" replied Maxine. She glared at him as she didn't really like being threatened in this manner. Not just that but she was still using the façade of her actually being a high born.

"I wouldn't go declaring that around these parts. You might not leave Flea Bay in one piece if you do that."

Maxine simply walked through with Charles walking alongside her. The man who had opened the door simply shook his head as he shut the door, ensuring that there were no unauthorised entrants came in.

With their goal clear in hand the pair stepped through the double doors like they had been instructed and it wasn't long before they found themselves in a large open area that was once used to house fish that were caught nearby or shipped in from overseas. Now it was used for illegal activities. Even though there hadn't been fish inside for many years the stench of the former tenants could still be smelt.

Charles was still incredibly nervous. They didn't have much of a plan and he didn't need to be a genius to know that they were outmanned and outmuscled in this situation. If things truly went south then he wouldn't have Maxine to protect him as she too was in the same predicament as him. Now more than ever he missed her in her larger and more muscular form. At least then, he felt safe.

For a moment there was nothing but silence. Just as they were thinking that something was wrong, they eventually saw a man walking into view. He had been standing in the shadows beforehand and now that he had walked out of it, the pair could see him quite clearly. It was somewhat strange how they were meeting in this manner but it was still wasn't enough to put Maxine on edge.

The man standing before them didn't look intimidating in the slightest. He was of average height and had a skinny frame. His hair was short and black and as he looked at the pair standing a short distance away from him. He was far from impressed and he kept his hands in his pockets.

"So, you're the ones who have come here on this day to see yours truly," said the Merchant. A smile appeared on his face and his teeth looked particularly white. This was particularly unusual in Angleland.

"Indeed," replied Maxine. "I am Lady Alexandra Smith of the Pryde Islands." Her voice sounded somewhat regal and it seemed like she believed every single word that she spoke. "I am here to obtain something from you that can be bought in no other market."

"As many others do. Now what is it that you want? I have many things that could be of some value to a woman of your status."

"I have been informed that you've come into the possession of an item that could make me taller. As you can see, I wasn't blessed with great height like a good many people that I know."

"A woman who knows what she wants, I like that. Your sources are correct, I do happen to have such an item." He then cleared his throat and mere moments later a guard walked up to him with what looked to be a small container. With that the Merchant opened up the container and Maxine could see what seemed to a glowing sphere of energy. It was beautiful as her eyes widened but there was something else that drew her attention. The Merchant was missing a finger on his right hand. This was all the indication that she needed to know that he was the Weasel. This raised her anger slightly but she seemed to keep her cool in order to try get out of this in one piece. "As you can see, this little thing here can make big changes to your life. I take it that this is what you're looking for."

"Indeed, it is." There was a slight hint of excitement in her voice as she spoke. At that moment in time she wanted to dart forward and simply take it. However, she had to be more cautious when it came to this. She somewhat regretted not having a proper plan before she had come but she was sure of a one thing... She was going to leave here with her size or would die trying. "And this'll make me taller?"

"Yes, it will." He chuckled for a moment. "In fact, it might even make you the tallest woman in Angleland. If that is a little much, I'm sure that we can figure out some way of downplaying the effects."

"No, that will do nicely." Even though she was excited as she thought that she could get her size back at any moment but she still didn't want to jump ahead. In this situation she was still at a disadvantage. "Now let's talk business."

"Indeed, we shall, this little ball of miracles doesn't come cheap. A common man would have to work five lifetimes in order to afford this. But for someone like you it's probably not much more than pocket change."

"Whatever amount you want I can ensure that you get paid." She took a couple of steps forward; she knew that it would be risky but she thought that she could get away with it if she was a little on the sly side. "May I see it?" She held out her hand and she hoped that her small size would make her seem harmless.

"I wouldn't if I was you." The Weasel quickly took a step back and a couple of the guards in the shadows stepped forward as it seemed that tensions had suddenly increased. "I wouldn't be so eager if I was you. I didn't get to where I am today because I'm some kind of sap, you get this when I get my money."

"That seems fair." She played it cool and was merely waiting for the opportunity that she needed to try and take what was rightfully hers. "Now how much exactly do you want for that?"

"Hmm, to tell you the truth, I haven't fully thought through the actual price. I did have a sum in mind but after that little move that you just pulled; I've decided to add a little more to it."

"Outrageous." Her anger slightly flared up for a moment and she clenched her fist in fury. "But I guess I have no choice in the matter."

"No, you don't, now little girl I suggest that you cough up some gold or else this discussion is finished."

Maxine remained quiet for a moment as she knew that neither she nor Charles had any money with them whatsoever. Their bluff had gotten them this far but it was likely that it could get them no further. With everything she had she darted forward, her pace was quicker than the Weasel had expected and just for a moment she was able to knock the container that held the sphere. It was something that he hadn't entirely expected but her sudden movement did cause the guards to go into action.

The guards did quickly move towards Maxine as she dived to the ground in order to try and grab onto the sphere. She knew that she had to get to it before she was captured, if that were to happen it was likely that she and Charles wouldn't leave this warehouse alive. Her squire looked on and he too darted forward, but this was more out of panic rather than actually trying to grab the sphere.

As Maxine tried to reach the sphere as it rolled on the ground her hand was just a mere inch off reaching it immediately. This was heart breaking for her, in her mind she was thinking that if she was just a little taller, she would have been able to reach it. But before she could get up to try and grab it again, she felt someone grab her arm and then hold it into her back. This caused her some pain and then she was effortlessly picked up off the ground.

Charles wanted to help her but he too found himself grabbed by one of the guards and held in place. He didn't have the strength to break free and the Weasel did go for the sphere as well. However, he used great care when doing it as he took out the same tool that Maxine and Charles had seen before. It was the same one that they had led to believe had removed the magic from her in the first place.

Using this tool, he was able to grab the sphere and put it back in the container. The last thing he wanted to do was actually touch it. There would be a good chance that he would have absorbed it and then become as tall and muscular as Maxine had been before it had been removed from her.

The woman herself struggled as best as she could but without the magic inside of her, she had no hope of breaking free of this guard's grip. Instead she was simply held there as the Weasel properly secured the sphere and looked over to her. She regretted not having a serious plan but with time not being on her side she had needed to act quickly. It hadn't worked out well for them.

"Wow, that was close," said the Weasel. There was some mockery in his voice, almost as if he was making fun of their attempt to steal the orb. "Just for a moment, I thought that you were actually going to get your hands on this."

"Give me that!" shouted Maxine as she was desperate at this point in this time. She was kicking her feet but there was nothing that she could do.

"Now why would a high born such as yourself resort to stealing from a merchant like myself." Again, it was like he was mocking her for her attempt. "Unless you aren't actually a high born. No, you're some kind of short common woman who wants to gain a few inches but is unwilling to pay."

"That is something that rightfully belongs to me. You stole it!" By this time, she was shouting at the top of her lungs. This caused a little confusion from the Weasel but after a moment he did begin to figure it out.

"Stole it from you? Oh wait, you must have been the large woman where this had come from. You know that makes me curious, I wonder what you looked like when you had this within you. I bet you were a fine specimen back then."

"If you let me have the magic back then you can see for yourself."

"Now why would I do that? I admit that I have been tempted to use this on myself. But the value is simply too great to throw away like that."

"What do you want us to do with them?" asked the Guard who was holding onto Maxine. The question was one that the other guard was thinking as he held onto Charles. Unlike Maxine, he wasn't struggling at all.

"Do what you want and then dump them in the ocean. No one will miss them."

With that the two guards began to move away with Maxine and Charles still in their grasp. The Weasel was disappointed that he hadn't been able to sell the sphere and get the mountain of money that he had wanted. But he still had it and it would only be a matter of time before someone took it off him for the right price. Such an event like this wasn't common but it had taken place from time to time.

The guards barely said a word as they took both Maxine and Charles away. Maxine in particular was trying to fight back as she struggled and kicked as much as she could. Unfortunately, in her smaller body she simply didn't have the strength that she needed to help herself or her squire. This was both annoying and dangerous for her and she began to feel some worry.

Charles was likely even more worried than her but he didn't seem to be showing it. Instead on the inside he was utterly panicking as once again he felt like he was in a winless situation. It somewhat reminded him of the inn that he had stayed in and how he had killed a family of cultists. Ever since it happened, the events had been replaying in his head over and over again.

It didn't seem to matter how much the pair struggled; they couldn't break out of the grip that they had found themselves in. Instead they were taken away from the main area in this warehouse and neither of them knew what was going to happen to them. It was likely that they wouldn't leave there alive.

This was something that Maxine simply wouldn't accept. She might have been quite small and frail but she refused to allow it to be the death of her. She was more than determined that by the end of the day, not only would she and Charles still be alive and in good health but she would also have her size back.

At this point in time she didn't know exactly how she was going to do this but she was sure that an opportunity would present itself eventually. It might have been close to impossible but she remembered the stories that her father told her about some of the impossible situations that he had found himself in and how he had gotten out of them. She knew that the same would happen to her, it was only a matter of time as she waited for her time to strike back.