- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Ellie must navigate a city street. Things are a little more difficult as she comes to terms with her new surroundings. 

Blinding lights. Headache. I didn’t drink that much. Why did I black out? Did that bitch drug me? I slowly bring myself back to consciousness. I’m not in the bar where I should be. I’m not in my own bedroom. I’m not in a stranger’s bedroom. In fact, I don’t think I’m even inside. I can see the sun above me. Is it weird to say that the sky looks further away than normal? And the brick walls that are on either side of me, they seem to stretch upwards for miles.


I am laying on my back in an alleyway. That’s why everything seems so tall, right? Once I stand up, it will all look proportionate again. I check myself over. Nothing is broken. I am not bleeding. I am wearing clothes. My cellphone and wallet are both missing. Perhaps I was mugged? I should find either a phone or a hospital and make certain that everything is okay. Somehow I do not feel normal. Maybe I was drugged…


Okay… Slow down. First, lets try standing up. I pull myself to my feet and look around. Things still feel very disproportionate.


Second. Figure out where I am. I don’t recognise anything immediately. I walk out of this seemingly never ending alleyway and onto a very crowded street.


Third. Why are there so many people? I don’t think there are this many people in the whole county? What is going on?


Fourth. Why is everyone so big??? I have to dodge the shoe of a man who almost steps on me. I throw myself out of his way and back into the safety of the alley. Judging by the fact that I was almost stepped on, I am merely the size of a bug to the people here. I curl into a ball and have a panic attack right where I’m sitting.


Fifth. Cry. A lot.


Sixth. Remember. The crazy lady at the bar. She must have done this to me. She said she could put me back, but not as I wanted. Is this what she meant? I have to find her. She can fix me.


I set out into the busy street once again. This time I am careful to stick to the walls and not in anybodys way. It is very loud. There’s a lot of people talking, and walking, and cars, cabs, and big red busses. There’s homeless men begging for change, and buskers playing all sorts of instruments on the corners. A rickshaw passes by while loud music plays from a stereo. It’s a place I have been to before, although it was much less intimidating last time.


There's big letters on the building across the street. On the left it reads “Boots” and on the right it reads “His Master’s Voice.” The building directly to my left reads “Disney.” I am on Oxford Street… Right in the middle of holiday shopping season.


My first thought is that I have to get away from the Disney store. The last thing I want to find me right now is a child. They might think of me as some discarded toy or worse try to eat me.


I could try to make it to the Underground. Bond Street station is right across the road, but that would be quite a walk for someone my size… And there’s always mice on the Underground. Thinking about it, mice might be worse than kids. I am too small to even reach the bottom step of a bus. I could try getting someone’s attention, but on a busy street like this, who would notice me? And would I really want them to?


There are two young, seemingly harmless girls sitting on a bench not too far away from me. They have set a few shopping bags down on the ground while they talk. Perhaps I can sneak a ride with one of them. It seems like my best option.


I watch the people walk by as I wait for an opening to get to the girls. When there is a minor break in the crowd, I make a mad dash for the bags. I am in such a panic, that I run headfirst into the first object at their feet. The bag is soft enough for me to climb, and I dive headfirst into its contents. My landing is soft, and I am comforted by the gentle swaying of the bag as she picks it up and starts walking. Despite my best efforts, I fall asleep.


 

Chapter End Notes:

There's two ways I can go with this. I can bump this up to an R rated story, or I can keep it short and PG. You'll know what I've decided with the next chapter.