- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Here we go! My first story ever here, or anywhere for that matter. So please go easy on me! :) Hope you enjoy.

Chris is your average 19 year old who just graduated from high school. He likes to play video games, chill with friends, and has a fondness for fast cars. Unlike most 19 year olds, though, is his height. Chris stopped growing at a very young age, leaving him at a fully grown 3 foot 1 inches tall, roughly the equivalent of a kindergartener. With his disability, he couldn't do much of what he'd like, such as going out whenever he wanted, or even the things he didn't like, such as chores. Despite these problems, he never ran into anyone who would take advantage of him because of his height. Most people were understanding of his condition and respected him, but it also made him an unlikely candidate as someone's friend. He was just simply lonely, and planned on spending the majority of this first summer free of high school playing video games and relaxing. His parents didn't like this idea.

"Oh come on, this is ridiculous." Chris moaned. 

"Well what else should we do about you? You aren't working very much with us here..." his father said. annoyed.

"Mom, tell him I should be able to live my own life." Chris begged.

"This conversation again? Christopher, you may want your own things but you are under my roof where I am paying for you. If you don't like it you can either prepare for college, or take your disability checks and find an apartment." His father spouted, getting very annoyed about having this conversation for what feels like the 100th time.

"Sweetie, we know you're frustrated. But there's nothing you can do to improve your life by sitting in your room and playing games all day. We care about you and that's why we want you to go to college, but if you don't want to go this is the only alternative."

What is this alternative they are talking about? Chris' parents want him to go to college to keep his life going in some sort of direction. Chris hates this idea, another handful of years studying all day because no one will hang out with him. Semester after semester admiring people he wish he could be or at least hang out with. Nobody is interested in a short little freak like him, or at least that's how he feels. 

Because of this, Chris has been adamantly denying any opportunity to attend a college. When at home, Chris is cared for by his parents as he can't do many things for himself. Cooking, cleaning, etc. is not only an impracticality, but possibly dangerous for him to attempt. Both of his parents have new jobs this year that require them to travel abroad, which would have been fine if Chris could find a college dorm to stay in and room mates to help out, but with Chris throwing that idea out the window there was only one option they were willing to take. Chris was going to have a babysitter this summer. 

"I might be the size a kid, but I'm not ACTUALLY a kid. You know that right? I don't need a babysitter." Chris pouted.

"Please don't say it that way, honey. We know you're an adult now but we have no choice, you can't do this alone. And don't be so down about it, the doctor still says if you eat well enough you could grow an inch or two." His mother said, gently as always.

"Pfft, fat chance. That hack has been saying that for years." Chris mumbled.

"Look. I'm tired of the smarky comments and arguments that get us nowhere. No college means you're getting a babysitter. Your mother and I's flight leave tomorrow morning and I'm guessing you'll be asleep. So this will be the last time you see us all summer. So PLEASE can we make this pleasant? I still love you, you know." Chris' father said. He was always a hot tempered kind of guy.

"Fine... I'll miss you." Chris said.

"I'm so glad to hear that sweethart, we'll miss you too. The babysitter should arrive at around 11:00 A.M. tomorrow. Be ready to open the door for her.

Chris made his goodnight hugs to his parents and head out for bed, not knowing how things will unfold in the coming days.

Chapter End Notes:

That's a wrap for the fist chapter! More interesting things will happen in the next one, but I figured it was important to lay out the character's situation and overall context. Let me know what you think!