- Text Size +

Joshua scanned his surroundings the next morning trying to figure out exactly where he was. He had traveled this road countless times on horseback, but now, on foot, shrunken, everything seemed so different. He knew he had to stay where the most of the shelter was at so he wouldn’t be attacked by other animals, birds, or insects thinking he was food.

He knew he had a short walk ahead of him, maybe a few hours before he had to cross the desert. If he could make it across the desert, he would be just past the half-way mark.

Joshua gathered his things and slowly made his way down the path. He saw a small watering hole not far from where the desert began and decided to stop there and rest for a bit. He dusted himself off, and undressed and walked into the warm water. He only went waist deep, afraid maybe there might be large fish in there or maybe a bird might spot him helpless to swim to safety. He bathed himself.

White Eagle watched him safely from the bushes. She wanted to make her presence known to him, to let him know she was there, to bathe with him, but she knew if she did, she would be punished and he would be put to death, so she watched.

White Eagle felt the ground as it slightly vibrated. She looked and saw a cloud of dust in the distance. She quickly looked back to where Joshua was and saw him climbing out of the small pond and getting dressed looking nervously around him, it was obvious that he felt it too.

Remaining hidden, she watched him as he finished dressing.

Joshua felt the tremors getting stronger and stronger. He hurriedly dressed himself and just as the ground was shaking so hard he thought it was about to open up and swallow him, it stopped. A huge cloud of dust went blowing by. As it settled, he saw four horses pulling a stagecoach. The driver jumped down and opened the door to the stagecoach and three women stepped out.

“Stretch yer legs fer a bit ladies” the scraggly-looking driver said. “I’ma gonna water these here horses ‘for we cross this here desert.”

Joshua saw the women walking towards him and quickly ran to the underbrush. The three women sat down on the rocks where Joshua had just been and took their shoes off and began soaking their hot, sweaty feet in the water talking amongst themselves saying how soothing it felt.

The stage driver unhooked the horses and tied them to an old tree at the waters edge and let them drink their fill and rest up a bit before they headed out again. He made his way to the back of the stage and pulled out a jug and began drinking from it while he watched them.

Joshua peeked from the bush looking at the women and at the stage wondering if he should ask them to give him a ride across the desert. They seemed nice enough, like real ladies.

White Eagle watched them as well. She was praying Joshua would stay away from them, praying he wouldn’t seek their assistance.

Observing them, Joshua found out each ones name.

Rachel, 5’5”, blonde curly hair that went down to her waist, green eyes.

Allison, 5’8”, straight blonde hair that was middle ways down her back and in a braid, blue eyes.

Eve, 5’5”, black hair in a bun, brown eyes, and somewhat the leader so to speak, she was telling the women what to do and how to act constantly.

Just then, Allison moved her hands behind her, stretching, when her left hand landed on something soft. “What’s this?” she asked as she picked it up looking strangely at it.

“What is it?” Rachel asked trying to get a better look.

“It looks like a tiny nap-sack” Rachel said in a giggle.

“Let me see it” Eve said as she took it from her and opened it up and dumping the contents into her hand.

Joshua looked in total disbelief. He had left his sack and his spear on the rock in a hurry to hide.

Eve looked the contents over very carefully. She smelled them. “It is some dried meat, a small knife and a bed roll” she exclaimed.

“Who would put dried meat in a nap sack for a doll?” Allison asked.

“Good question!” Eve stated.

Eve looked behind Allison and saw the small prints in the sand leading to the bushes. She dropped the contents back into the bag. She dried her feet and placed her shoes back on and slowly stood, stretching and looking around like she was looking for nothing in particular.

The stage driver was hooking the horses back up and Eve walked over to the bushes where the prints ended, still acting like she was stretching, and quickly pulled the bushes back revealing a small, tiny, 5 inch man staring up at her in total shock.

She reached down and grabbed him so fast Joshua didn’t have time to respond. She pulled him up to her massive face inspecting him.

White Eagle had drew her knife, ready to spring into action at a moments notice should the women try to harm the tiny Marshall.

“And what do we have here?” Eve asked raising an eyebrow.

“Will…will you ladies please help me?” Joshua asked.

“Help you how?” Eve answered.

“I would appreciate a ride across the desert if it wouldn’t be too much trouble, ma’am” he said.

“Whatcha think, ladies?” Eve said. “Should we give this little fella a lift?”

By then the other two women had made their way over to Eve and Joshua. They both smiled at each other and then at Eve when Allison said: “Sure, maybe he can tell us how he got so small.”

The stage was ready to go and the driver called out to them to board. Eve took the Marshall and dropped him inside her dress between her massive breasts, re-adjusted it and walked back and boarded the stage with the other two ladies following behind her.

Once the stage began moving, Eve took the tiny man out and placed him in her lap and they began asking him all sorts of questions. He answered them one after another, sometimes the same one several times. They finally calmed down enough for him to tell them how he and his posse came this way.

The women listened intently, hanging on every word he said. Eve smiled and told him they would help him in any way they could, and unknown to him, she winked at the other two women.

Allison said: “you reckon that there injun lady would give me a jar of that shrinking stuff?”

Eve and Rachel laughed at her asking why.

“Because!” she said sounding very serious. “I know some cowboys I’d love to give a double-dose of it to and squish them under my boots.”

Joshua back deeper into Eve hearing this. Eve placed her hand around him, gently rubbing him, assuring him he wouldn’t be squished by anyone.

Allison looked at the tiny, frightened man and apologetically told him she wasn’t referring to him, just the rough-necks out there that thought of women as objects.

White Eagle walked over and picked up his nap-sack and spear before starting her journey across the desert. Following the tracks left in the sand by the stage wheels and horses-hoof prints. She knew it would be a long walk, well into the night for her. She stopped long enough to rest and say a prayer for Joshua before starting again.

“So, where are you ladies going?” Joshua asked.

Rachel was the first to answer. “We’re goin’ to Snake Rock for a bit. We got us a job there at the Saloon”.

Joshua smiled and hoped they would let him go once they crossed the desert. He had been to Snake-Rock before, picking up or turning over prisoners there, sort of like a depot between Territories; and the easiest way around the Indian Reservations.