- Text Size +

That next morning, after all the chores were finished White Eagle carried Joshua to the creek to bathe. While there they began discussing last nights events and she told him what he would have to do in order to become a member of the tribe. Joshua agreed to this and told her he would do whatever it took to not only join the tribe but to be with her always.

When they were finished bathing, they went back to the Reservation. Joshua was determined to talk to Chief Yellow-Eyes. White Eagle carried him to his teepee and asked permission to enter, when granted, they entered and she told her Grandfather that Joshua wanted to speak to him about a matter and that she would be outside waiting until she was summoned.

Joshua told Yellow-Eyes he wanted to marry White Eagle. He told him he would join the tribe and do whatever was necessary in order to make it happen, but most of all, he was “in-love” with White Eagle and wanted his permission to marry her and spend his life with her.

Chief Yellow-Eyes didn’t say a word. He just stared at the tiny 5 inch man with a cold stare. Joshua was scared of what might happen to him but he never showed it. Finally, after a long time of silence Yellow-Eyes grunted and stood up.

Yellow-Eyes spoke: “in order to marry my Granddaughter, you must be a member of the tribe. In order to join the tribe, you must pass a test. A test of strength, endurance, and spirit.”

Joshua nodded at this.

“You are unable to provide for my granddaughter, you can not hunt, fish, or do what ordinary men do because of your size, and you cannot be restored.” Yellow-Eyes said in a sarcastic tone.

Joshua looked up at the Chief and said: “tell me what I must do in order to become a member of your tribe and marry your Granddaughter and we will take care of the rest.”

The Chief admired his spirit and knew that any other time he would order Joshua to fight another brave for her hand but not in this situation. Chief Yellow-Eyes looked at Joshua and said: “I will seek the wisdom of the spirit-world and give you my answer in three days” and with that, he clapped his hands and White Eagle entered and picked up Joshua and carried him to her teepee.

Joshua told her what the Chief had said and that in three days they would have their answer. She leaned in and kissed him and told him not to worry, everything would be ok and that they would be together.

On the third day the Chief summoned them to his teepee where the medicine man was sitting with him as they entered. Yellow-Eyes spoke: “the spirits have revealed that you Joshua can become one with us and that you may marry my Granddaughter if you can pass the test.”

Joshua took several steps forward before asking what the test was.

The Chief looked at him intently and said: “at first light, you will be taken from here and set on your journey, a journey to not only prove you can survive, but one to prove your love for White Eagle. If you make it back before the next full moon, you will have passed, if not, Marshall Joshua Stone, I will always remember what a just man you were.” and with that the Chief and medicine man turned their backs to them and they exited the teepee.

White Eagle spent the afternoon and most of the evening making Joshua a survival kit of sorts. A soft leather backpack with a few tools she was able to make for him, a small knife made from glass, a wooden hand carved shovel, and a piece of hickory stick to use as a spear in case he needed to defend himself against any small animals or insects. She also managed to put several pieces of dried meat and a water pouch inside for him. She took and cut his bandana to make a bed roll and tied it to the side of the backpack.

Joshua saw a few of the things she was making but never seen it all until the next morning. She had mixed him a sleeping potion in with his water that night so he wouldn’t see her tears as she stayed up most of the night preparing everything for him. She even made him a buckskin shirt, pants and moccasin boots to wear and help protect him from whatever was out there.

When he awoke, White Eagle was smiling down at him, he returned the smile rubbing the back of his head like he was fighting a hang-over.

“It is time to go” she said and carefully picked him up and handed him his backpack and spear.

When they exited the teepee there were three ponies waiting. The Chief was on one, the medicine man on the other and then him and White Eagle got on the third and began traveling North. They rode all day long in the summer heat. They ate berries and some fruit that they seen along the way and at dusk they stopped for the night and made camp.

The Chief pointed at the moon, it was just a sliver of light and he reminded Joshua that he had until it was full to return to the Reservation.

“So my journey begins here?” Joshua asked.

“Yes, at dawn” Yellow-Eyes said. “Now we rest, big day tomorrow”

Everyone lay down and White Eagle laid with her back to the Chief and medicine man while she whispered to Joshua and told him she had put extra food in his bag.

Joshua thanked her and told her he had about two and a half weeks to get back and that he had watched the trail closely and should be there before the full moon.

She smiled and told him not to worry, the spirit world had revealed to her that he would be protected in the wilderness.

Joshua kissed her goodnight and got on his blanket and closed his eyes. He dreamed that night of many things, things a white man doesn’t dream of. The spirit world had come into his dreams and he was shown many things, but what he remembered the most was from a Chief called Gray Bear.

Gray Bear took Joshua and showed him the trail, he showed him the dangers along the way, the safest places to eat and drink from and even a few short cuts for the little five inch tall man to take. When Gray Bear had taken him back to the campsite, he told Joshua to always take care of his Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great Granddaughter. Joshua told him he always would and with that, Gray Bear vanished into the darkness.

Joshua awoke and White Eagle was staring down at him smiling, tears streaming down her cheeks.

“What’s wrong?” he asked.

“You…you were glowing” she said. “The light woke me up” she began speaking in an excited whisper. “You were in the spirit world, weren’t you?”

“Yes, but how did you know?” Joshua asked.

“The glow, it only happens when you are visited by a powerful spirit” she explained. “Did he tell you his name?”

“Yes he did” Joshua said. “He told me his name was Gray Bear.”

White Eagle let out a shriek causing the Chief and medicine man to sit up quickly from a sound sleep asking what was wrong. White Eagle told them that Gray Bear had visited Joshua in his sleep and that his glow was so powerful that it woke her.

The Chief and medicine man began speaking back and forth in their native tongue and White Eagle listened intently slightly nodding at what they were saying.

“Well” Joshua asked. “what’s going on”

“I cannot say, they are talking amongst each other, I cannot tell you” she said sadly.

The sun began to peek over the mountain side when The Chief stood and told them it was time to go. As he went to get on his pony, the Chief fell to his knees, eyes rolled into the back of his head and began chanting. He chanted for over 20 minutes before regaining his posture and climbing onto his pony.

He waved good-bye to Joshua and they rode off. Joshua waited for the dust to settle before he began his journey back Once over the first hill, the Chief stopped and told White Eagle that Gray Bear had come to him before he mounted his pony and told him that she should stay behind unnoticed and watch over Joshua.

White Eagle nodded, a smile forming on her face. The Chief grabbed her by the arm and said: “White Eagle, Gray Bear said not to be seen unless it is absolutely necessary, understood?”

“Yes Grandfather” I will stay hidden and watch from the bushes. I will sleep far away to not be seen but close enough to protect him if I have to.”

“Gray Bear said this man will help lead our people one day and that I can watch with him when it happens.” Yellow-Eyes said releasing her arm. “Remember, do not let him see you”

“I won’t, Grandfather, and thank Gray Bear for trusting me with this mans life.” she said as she got off her pony and watched them ride away.