- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Let's hope this one gets up here safely. Last one I tried got all munged up.

Julie makes her return. Maybe not how you expected, but here she is. Let's hope it's the beginning of our favorite couple getting back together.

 

----- An unexpected, but maybe I should have expected, meeting

I was feeling fine physically, and I was doing a decent job of forgetting the incident. I was having sex at least once, sometimes three or four times a day and sometimes with a different girl each time. Cindy and Tee were trying to get time with me knowing they would each be leaving pretty soon for Arizona. They had to fight Zoe off for the chance though. A couple times Zoe and Gail and I had a threesome. I know, rough life.

There was knock on the door Saturday afternoon. I opened it to a pair of very sexy legs in capri pants. I looked up and up and my heart soared. It was Julie! It immediately put a smile on my face. But Julie was scowling down at me.

"Hi, Julie."

"Can I come in?"

"Of course."

"We need to talk."

"Want to sit in the living room?"

"Let's go to the office."

"Okay." I said. I shut the door behind us and we were alone. We sat across from each other. I made sure to sit on the chair in front of the desk rather than behind, which would have been too formal.

"What's the big deal?" she said in a huff.

"I don't know. What's the big deal?"

"Don't play coy with me. I know what you did."

"What did I do?"

"Mom was in debt and when I went to the bank to convince them to let us skip another mortgage payment they said it was settled. Someone payed it off and they wouldn't tell me who. You wouldn't know anything about that, now would you?"

I shrugged.

"I knew it. How did you find out?"

"Find out what?"

"That Mom was going to lose the house."

"She's going to lose the house?"

"Stop it! I know you. Just tell me why."

I sighed. "Julie, your mother is as much, no she's more, much more of a mother to me than my own. You know that, right?"

"That doesn't give you the right to butt into our lives."

"You butting into my life years ago and fucking it up gives me that right!" I said with righteous indignation. That immediately took the wind out of her sails.

"How? How can you afford this?"

"We had a good month of music sales. Ask Sharon. She's looking to get her own place now."

"Sharon told you, didn't she?"

"Sharon loves you. She loved Jill and she loves your mother. Anything she did, she did out of the goodness of her heart. She had no idea what I was going to do. She wanted me to know how bad things were for you because she knew I would try to help. Don't you disrespect her!"

Julie turned her eyes down and looked defeated.

"Did she tell you to sell the pickup?" I asked.

"I don't know. Yes, I suppose she did."

"Did you?"

"Not yet."

"Sell it and keep the money."

"Why are you doing this?"

"Isn't it obvious?"

"I don't think we can get back together, Sam."

"Why not?"

"It's not right."

"Because I'm too little for you. Is that it?"

"No! No, that's not it. It's just ..."

"Tell me."

"I can't get over what I did to you. It's caused so much bad. If I hadn't, you would have never met that Billy guy and Jill would still be alive. I can barely live with myself."

"I told you it's not your fault. We're going to court next week . Do you know why we're going to court?"

"To punish him."

"To put him away for good. He's the one that took Jill's life, not you. I'm more to blame than you are."

"But you tried and almost saved her."

"Almost is not good enough."

"Don't feel that way."

"You see now. I know how you feel. You have no more guilt in this than I do."

"You always did have a point."

"I still love you."

Tears welled up in her eyes. "I don't think I can do this."

"Do you still love me?"

"I'm not loving anything much anymore."

"You didn't answer my question."

She shrugged.

"Come back to me, Julie. We can take care of your mother together."

"I don't know if I can."

"Jesus! When will you come to your senses? I want you! Get it?"

Silence.

"Come on, Julie. We've had too many good times to throw it away. Please."

There was more silence. This wasn't going anywhere. Not now. So, I changed the subject.

"Fine." I said exasperated. "Will you do me a favor then?"

"I guess if you want me to."

"You're a good business lady."

"I am?"

"Isn't that what you do?"

"Yeah."

"A need a business person."

"For what?"

"All the money I'm making from selling songs online. I want to incorporate. I don't know how to do that. Do you?"

"It's pretty simple. You barely need a lawyer, I have templates. Just fill in the blanks and send it off to the state with your fee."

"Where in the state do I send it?"

"The taxation office."

"Figures. Now see? I didn't know that. Will you help me?"

"It's not much really."

"Get the templates for me, I'll fill in the blanks."

"Sure."

"How's work going?"

"It's ... work."

"Do you talk with Sharon much?"

"A little."

"Well, talk to her. She's a good gal."

"I know."

"Tell your mother not to worry. I expect nothing in return from her. She's already given me the greatest gift I could ever want."

"What?"

"You."

She looked away. "I have to go."

"Won't you stay?"

"No. Mom's waiting for me."

"I still have some of your things here."

"I'll get them later."

That meant I'd surely see her again when she came back to get her stuff. She was leaving but she brightened my day just by seeing me.

"You know I'll be moving soon." I told her.

"You got a buyer for the house?"

"Closing is next week -- two of them in one day. We expect to have one week to move."

"Can you move all of this yourself?"

"No. I need your help."

"I-I don't know."

"Don't worry about it." I relented. "I've already hired professional movers. We just need to get things packed. You will come to see me at the new house, won't you?"

"I'll try."

"Good girl."

"I need to get going now."

"Julie. Are you doing okay?"

"No, Sam. I'm a royal mess."

"Chin up. I'm rooting for you. You can get through this. Whether we get back together or not, I want you to get yourself together. Will you try for me?"

"Yeah, I'll try."

"Okay," I sighed. "I'll show you out then."

We got up and I took her hand. She looked down then a look of horror came over her face.

"Sam?"

"What?"

"You're-you're ... smaller."

"Yeah. Surprise, surprise. You know when I get sick I shrink."

"You were sick?"

"I was in the hospital, Julie, duh. Wait, I'm sorry, I forgot you were preoccupied with Jill. I was there, Julie, and I got hurt too."

"I know you did. I didn't think. ... Your hand."

"What about it?"

"Let me see it again. Put it here in mine. ... Oh my God. Your whole hand is smaller than my palm."

I shrugged.

"I'm sorry." she said.

"It's not your fault, Julie."

"Yes, it is."

"Well, there's nothing anyone can do. The best minds are working on it. Maybe someday."

She looked sad and almost ran out the front door. I closed it behind her and turned to find Zoe standing there in the living room.

"Hey." I said.

"Hey."

"Did you hear that?"

"Not much."

"Truthfully?"

"Hug me?"

"Yeah. Come here."

We hugged. She pulled my head down and we kissed. Then she led me into the bedroom and started taking off my clothes then hers. It was in the middle of the afternoon and we were having sex. I wondered if this had anything to do with Julie's visit.

Gail came over that Saturday night too. Zoe insisted we sleep together. I knew she did that to help me forget Julie. Of course I couldn't resist having a go with Gail but I still had Julie on my mind.



----- A science proposal

Tee's group at the clinic was done. But just like our group, they kept in touch with each other. Tee wanted to go out to dinner Sunday night. I met her at the pizza place where Tee used to work. She brought Ava and another friend.

"I thought you hated this place, Tee?"

"Whatever gave you that idea?"

"You were tired of their pizza."

"I am. I still like their spaghetti."

"So, you're having spaghetti tonight?"

"Nah. I'm having fettuccini."

"Sounds good. I'll have the same."

"You know Ava, right?"

"Of course. Hi Ava."

"This is Taylor, Sam."

"Oh yeah. I heard about you, Taylor. You're some sort of grad student, right?"

"I'm majoring in human physiology." she said.

"Well, good."

"She wants to ask you something, Sam." Tee told me.

"Alright then, Taylor. Ask away."

"I'm doing some experiments on pheromones. I thought you would be a good test subject."

"What gave you that idea?" I said eyeing Tee.

"Well, for one, you've contracted Borgford's virus."

"Tell me what's new."

"And second, you're a guy."

"I am? Thank you. I never would have known."

"Sam." Tee said. "Be nice."

"Sorry. Won't girls work for you?"

"I have my reasons. Will you help me?"

"What do I have to do?"

"Just come on down and stand in a chamber that will blow air over you."

"For how long?"

"Ten minutes or less."

"Okay. I guess I can do that. Will you poke and prod me."

"No poking or prodding and no needles. Just stand there until we get the data."

"That's my kind of experiment. When?"

"Can you come this week?"

"In the middle of the day?"

"I'm sorry. The facilities we use only operate during regular business hours. I'll compensate you a little for missing work time."

"No need. I can do Friday if it works for you."

"I'll fit you in. Morning or evening?"

"How about late morning, like ten?"

"Perfect. Let me give you this."

She wrote her name, phone, the time and the address of where to go on a napkin.

"Okay. Sounds good, I guess."

"I can feel it, Sam. This is going to work out great."

"I'm all for science."

We had a good meal. It turns out that a bowl of fettuccini at Luigi's was pretty big so Tee and I shared a bowl. We also ordered pizza. Ava had a couple slices and Taylor ate the rest.

I wanted to bring up the subject of high school and wrestling with Ava, but I figured it would be a sore subject especially if I were the one to bring it up. Taylor actually turned out to be pretty cool. She said the subject of the shrinking virus captured her imagination. I can see why Tee liked her.

Tee came home with me and we had great sex that night. As if sex is ever anything but great. Right.



----- Zoe's warning

We had a fun ride bringing Tee home and Zoe to work Monday morning. We talked about the experiment.

"Pheromones?" Zoe asked.

"Yeah. They're smelly hormones."

"I know what they are. I'll tell you what I think: it's quackery."

"Why would you say that?"

"There's no science behind it."

"But that's what Taylor's doing -- basic research to try to put science behind it."

"Well don't let the witch take advantage of you."

"How the hell is she going to do that?"

"She could drug you."

"She said no needles or poking or prodding."

"Is she going to give you a pill?"

"I don't think so. Don't you have to have a doctor's prescription for that?"

"Just don't take anything from her that you have to ingest."

"Not even if she offers me a glass of water?"

"Especially if she offers you liquids."

"You're being paranoid."

"I'm being careful."

We dropped Tee off at home then Zoe had an announcement for me as I drove her to work.

"Sam, I signed up for a summer course at the college."

"Good."

"It's two days a week but it's at their main campus."

"We need to get you a car then, Zoe. Have you saved up anything?"

"Yeah."

"Good. We can see Sue. She works at a car dealership. They specialize in making cars fit us little people. This is going to be cool; your own car. Erin's in the market for a car too but you should definitely see Sue."

"They specialize in fitting cars to us smaller people?"

"Yep. Pedal extenders. Extra motion seats. They know their stuff. And Sue can get a good deal."

"There's one other problem."

"What's that?"

"My license expired. I need a new one and probably have to take a test."

"No problem. We'll work on it. You know how to drive, right?"

"Of course I do. I drove before."

"Sorry."

"It has been a while though."

"Like I said, no problemo. I'll let you drive my car for practice."

"You're always backing me up."

"I always will."

She leaned over and hugged me.



----- The experiment

Friday's experiment was a little more weird than I had thought. I had to take a shower first then stay a full ten minutes being rinsed off under the water. The water was distilled or super clean or something. Then I had to go run into this big cylindrical chamber without drying off. They said towel fibers would ruin the data collection.

The floor was a grate and air blew up from the bottom past me. I did have to shake as much water off of me as I could before I got in, but a minute into the chamber and I was completely dry. But then I had to spend another ten full minutes in there.

Taylor kept her promise. No needles. No poking or prodding. No drugs either. She did offer water but I refused. The weird thing was, since getting in the shower I had to stay nude until the experiment was over.

Now, you know me and know that I'm not that modest. But it was a strange feeling being naked in front of a handful of guys and gals -- normal sized, that is, huge to me -- and talking and acting as if everything was normal. Now I know how Jill felt that one weekend.

"Wow! Look at this." Taylor said looking at the computer screen after I came out. I was still nude waiting for her to tell me I could put my clothes back on.

"What is it?"

"You've spiked the recorder. Your data is off the charts, Sam."

"What does that mean?"

"It means you're throwing off hormones like crazy. This is great!"

They asked me to then fill out a questionnaire. There were about fifty questions. Some of them were the same, just re-wordings of others and it was a little tedious and personal. I was going to ask if I could put my clothes on but I was having so much fun like this that I decided to see how long they'd let me remain nude. The whole while Taylor was hovering over me.

All in all I spent a little over an hour there. When I went to put my clothes back on someone had put them in a locker way above my head. I had to ask Taylor for help. She wanted me to come back again to get more data. However, the terms this time were too much for me.



----- Friday night

I told Zoe that night about the whole thing.

"What do you mean the terms were too much?"

"They want me to stop taking PDQ."

"You're right: too much."

"It would only be for a week. Something about its half-life being a few days."

"Don't do it, Sam."

"I just told you I refused."

"Good. They got what they needed. They don't need you anymore. So what was the outcome?"

"They said I'm giving off pheromones like crazy."

"They were able to measure it?"

"No. It spiked the meter."

"Lucky you."

"Lucky? I had to take a shower and no toweling off either. I stood there nude."

"Cindy would like that."

"I have to admit, being the only one nude in a room of clothed people is kind of exciting."

"You'll get over it once Cindy moves away."

"Then you'll have to have naked tea with me when she's gone."

She smiled. "I'd love to." She came close to me and sniffed. "Hmm. Maybe you are throwing off sex hormones. Strip and let me smell you."

"You said it was quackery."

"You said it was science."

"You just want a piece of ass."

"I just want a piece of your ass."

"No biting this time."

"I can't promise anything."

She ended up getting my ass alright, and other stuff, that night.

Just so you know, I performed on Friday. Yep, I was back at Mike's with Sharon and Tee in front of the crowd. It felt good to be back.

There were a group of old ladies sitting in the audience to the side. It seems one of them had heard me sing "El Paso" before and these ladies wanted me to sing Marty Robbins songs. I only knew "El Paso" but that was good enough; they went wild. Imagine that: a bunch of old ladies swooning over me. They wanted to hear it a second time but I said once a night is enough ladies. So how about that? It was official: I had groupies, even if they were senior citizens.

 

Chapter End Notes:

More coming soon.