- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sam is back home and process of healing is started.

Not much action here, just some description, a liitle more back story and we meet another minor character. I'll have the next chapter soon though.

----- Homecoming

I felt like a cripple sitting in the wheelchair. I got up several times but could only stand for a few minutes before the pain forced me to sit back down. I held on to whatever was available -- a counter, leaning against a wall, leaning against Erin.

But mostly I sat and people doted over me. Everyone being there meant so much to me but I still felt so bad and wasn't really up to this. But there were three people I really wanted to talk to: Sharon, big Zoe and her friend, uh, I mean her fiance, Xavier.

I figured that Xave and big Zoe would leave early so I asked them to come with me to my office to talk. I closed the door and sitting in the wheelchair I began.

"Mr. Xavier ..."

"Please, call me Xave. I feel we know each other too much for formalities."

"Thanks, Xave. I know you put the bastard away before, and you tried to prevent what happened so I just want to say, thank you."

"Hey, that's what we do, my man."

"By the way, are the rumors true?"

"What rumors?"

"That you and Zoe ..."

"We're engaged to be married."

"Let me offer official congratulations."

"Thanks." he said as Zoe smiled.

"The officer I spoke to in the hospital said you're still working this and might have questions for me."

"None right now."

"Well, you know where to find me if you need to."

"For now you take care of yourself and get better. Any questions we might have can wait."

"You do have the little fucker in custody, right?"

"Yes, we have the, uh, little fucker. He's not going anywhere."

"I didn't mean to break his arm."

"No, but just between you and me, good move."

"It was an accident."

"No need to explain."

"Ok, now I need to talk to Zoe."

"I'll leave you two."

"No need."

"I'm listening, Sam." she said.

"It's about my Zoe."

"What about her, Sam?"

"You two have become good friends, right?"

"We have. We work together."

"Is she, um, like taking a few days off?"

"Yes. Didn't she tell you?"

"We haven't really talked. I'm hoping we'll talk later, when everyone else leaves. But, when she came to see me in the hospital she didn't talk at all, hardly. We held each other and she was shaking most of the time."

"The incident traumatized her."

"She's no stranger to that. I'm a little worried."

"I can see why you say that. Try to understand, situations like this take a toll on everyone connected. She's coping in her own way. Silence is a coping mechanism for some people. I know her and I'm sure she'll come out of this as good as possible."

"You're the expert and you know her, so ..."

"I'll do what I can for her."

"Thanks."

"Hey, Sam."

"Yes, Xave."

"You should know, everyone thinks you're a hero."

"Jill is dead. I'm no fucking hero."

"We analyzed the video from the clinic yesterday."

"Oh yeah?"

"You are a hero."

"Stop saying that."

"We saw the, um, little fucker point the gun at you."

"He had it at my chest. If I were going to do anything then I would have had to have looked down and I would have given myself away."

"You were right in front of him. His back was to the room where Jill was working."

"I looked him straight in the eye."

"It takes a lot of courage to do that, man."

"I knew he would raise the gun up to my head to shoot me. I wouldn't have had to look -- the gun would be right in my line of sight and I could have done something."

"He may never have raised the gun up."

"Oh, he would have."

"How do you know?"

"He said he wanted to kill me."

"He did?" Xave said. He and Zoe glanced at each other.

"Yeah, and I would have stopped him. I only wish Jill would have waited. I didn't even look at her when she came out of the room for fear of telegraphing to Billy that she was there."

"It wouldn't have mattered."

"Why did she do that?"

"We don't know. Billy must have felt her presence. When he turned around and fired, the gun was right up against her stomach and the bullet went straight in as far as we can determine. We believe it was that first shot that did her in."

Xavier then told me how the bullet was a thirty caliber -- a three eighty. It could have been a more powerful round but it was probably all the gun that Billy could handle, yet it was enough -- enough to kill.

I didn't know what to say.

"Sam, is there anything we can do for you?" Zoe asked.

"No. I'm sorry." I said with tears starting to pour out. "I'm still recovering. My leg hurts."

"Did you take anything for it?" Zoe asked.

"No. It puts me to sleep."

"Don't try to live with the pain. There's no reason to tough this out. Plus you need your sleep."

"I slept plenty in the hospital. But, I'll take your advice and probably take a pill tonight."

"Just take care of yourself."

"Thanks for coming, you two."

"We wouldn't miss it. Just let us know if there's anything either one of us can do."

We left the office and mingled some more. I caught up with Sue. She took me aside.

"Sam!"

"Hi, Sue. Thanks for coming to see me in the hospital."

"It was the least I could do. But Cindy told me some things about you."

"What?"

"About you and Gail and Jennifer."

"Yeah, well, things happen."

"So, it is true."

I shrugged. That confirmed it for her.

"I'm happy for all of you."

"I told you we needed to catch up."

"You weren't kidding."

"Have you met Zoe?"

"Yeah."

"What do you think?"

"I don't know. I think she's sad."

"We're all sad about Jill."

"I heard she wasn't so fond of her."

"They've known each other for a long time. It was a long distance relationship over the internet and there was that thing about me, but I think she's feeling different about Jill now."

"I heard about that thing."

"So you know it wasn't Jill. It was really Julie?"

"What?"

"Didn't you know?"

"Know what?"

"Sue, we really need to catch up on things."

"I've been busy. The truth is ... I'm seeing somebody."

"Good for you."

"I'm sorry. Are you mad?"

"No. I'm happy for you."

"All the times we spent together, they mean a lot to me."

"Does he make you happy?"

"Yes, he does."

"Do I know him?"

"No. He started working at the dealership after you went off to Arizona. And he's normal size."

"So what's normal anymore?"

"Five ten."

"Ah, so, you're settling for normal now? I never would have thunk it."

"Oh, don't be that way."

"I'm teasing you, Sue. He better treat you right."

"He does."

"Or I'll go over there and kick his butt."

"You badass."

"Now don't keep saying that or I'll tell your new boyfriend about us, young Lassie. Awoooo!"

"I'll never live that down." she said putting her face in her hands.

"Did you think I forgot?"

"I forgot until now."

"I'm happy for you and wish you two all the luck in the world, Sue. You have my blessing."

"I'd stay with you tonight, Sam, but we're engaged."

"Well, I'll be. Just as well. With this gimpy leg I'd be trash in bed."

"Oh please do take care of that."

"I'm taking care of it, don't worry."

"I just wanted you to know about why I haven't been around."

"Thank you for telling me. Do you know where Cindy went?"

"No. I just talked to her."

"I haven't seen her since I first got here. Do you mind if I go look for her?"

"Go ahead, Sam. I'll catch up with you later. I think I'm going to talk to Gail now."

It didn't take long to find Cindy; she was in the bedroom on the phone.

"Oh hang on, he's here." she said then turned to me. "Sam, I have Gabe on the phone. Wanna say hello?"

"Sure."

She handed me the phone.

"Hello. Gabe?"

"Hey, amigo. You doin' ok?"

"I'm healing. I guess you heard."

"Yeah, man. I hope it's not too bad."

"Nah, I just got home."

"Is there anything I can do for you?"

"Like what? You're on the other side of the country."

"I don't know. Anything."

"I'll be fine. I have lots of friends here who are taking care of me."

"Look, if Cindy needs to stay out there to help you then that's okay with me."

"I appreciate the thought, Gabe, but I can't keep you two apart any longer than necessary."

"You just let me know if there's anything I can do for you."

"Take good care of Cindy when she gets back to Arizona. Otherwise I'm gonna go back there and kick your ass myself."

"Ha ha. I hear ya."

"It's good to hear your voice, Gabe. Thanks."

"Likewise, amigo. You'll come out here soon, won't you?"

"I sure will."

I wasn't lying; it was very good and comforting to hear Gabe's voice. We had some good times in college; he was one of my few friends during that time. I missed him. But I knew that with Cindy and Gabe in Arizona I would have a good reason to travel west.

Cindy said to Gabe that she'd call him back later then hung up.

"I'm sorry for leaving the party, Sam. I needed to talk to someone."

"I understand."

"I couldn't unload it all on you. You just got out of the hospital."

"No problem. This hurt you too, didn't it?"

"I'm sure not as much as you."

"Emotionally, you hurt as much as I do. So, I know how you feel."

"It's not my leg that's bandaged up."

"It'll heal. I'm not so sure about the memory of Jill."

She started crying. "I loved Jill too."

I got up out of the wheelchair and sat by her on the bed. I hugged her and we cried together. Gail found us later.

"Oops. I'm sorry."

"No, it's ok. Come on over, Gail. Sit next to me."

We talked and she felt responsible for what happened. Everyone thinks they're responsible.

"I'm the one most responsible, Gail. He was after me, not you. You were just convenient to him. Jill got caught in the middle."

"I know how you felt about Jill."

"Yeah."

"I'm going to stay a few more days if that's okay with you."

"Sure. I love having you around."

"I'm taking a few days vacation. I can help out around here."

"There's not much for you to do. I have Erin and Cindy and Zoe around to help me. I hate to have you burn your vacation days, Gail."

"I feel so bad about this. About Jill. About you."

Gail ended up crying too, so we had a huddle cry. Or is it cry huddle? Anyway, I had guests so I got back in the wheelchair and left after we had dried our tears just enough. The girls followed me out.

"Sam!" I heard. I turned to the voice. It was Marie and Joe and some other guy.

"Hi, Marie. It's good to see you guys again. How's it going Joe?"

"We're good."

"I hear you two are engaged. Congrats."

"Thanks."

"Sam, I'd like you to meet someone." Marie said. "This is my brother Miguel."

We exchanged hello's.

"Marie tells me you're into the arts."

"Lot of good it did me."

"You took a bullet man, and you're still alive."

"Only by chance. But a good friend is dead."

"Shit happens."

"Tell me about it."

"Been practicing?"

"You mean the arts? No. I have no time."

"You should make time."

"Well, right now isn't such a good time."

"When you heal I'll take you to see my teacher, Sifu Choong."

"Choong?"

"Yeah."

"As in C-H-U-N-G?"

"That's right."

"Wait, let me think. Is his dojo on, uh, fifth and Charles in town?"

"You see. The arts have given you clairvoyance."

"Bullshit. Master Soo told me about Master Chung."

"Hahaha." he laughed. "So he did. Who is Master Soo?"

"My sifu back in Arizona. He told me to look up Master Chung when I came back home."

"You should listen to him."

"Maybe you're right. Small world."

"Get better. I'll bring you and introduce you to everyone there later."

"My guess is that sifu Chung already knows me, either through Master Soo or clairvoyance."

Miguel laughed again. "It's good to finally meet you, Sam. I think Master Chung can help you heal."

"If he's like Master Soo then he'll work me to a pulp first."

"First of all HE is not a HE. Master Chung is a SHE."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"Explain that to her."

"Just between us, we don't have to tell her. Right?"

He laughed again. "You're a pretty cool dude, Sam."

"Do you happen to know a nurse that works at the hospital in the ICU?"

"No. Why?"

"Never mind. Let me get better and I promise I'll let you introduce me to Sifo Chung."

It looks like there's more martial arts in my future. I went back to the kitchen to find Zoe and Sue talking.

"Hey."

"Hi, Sam."

"How are you doing, Zoe?"

"I'm fine."

"We'll talk tonight, you and I?"

"Sure."

"But I see you and Sue have been talking just now."

"Sue was telling about the time you saved Gail from Billy."

"I thought you already heard the story from Gail?"

"Sue filled me in a few details, Mr. Badass."

"Oh please."

"You keep saving poor damsels in distress."

"I didn't save Jill, did I?"

The two didn't have anything to say.

"I'm sorry, Sam."

"No, I'm sorry. It's too early, although I don't know if I'll ever get over it."

"Time will heal."

"I hope you're right."

"Uh, did either of you see where Sharon went to?"

"Did you look in the living room?"

"Just came from there. It's ok, I'll find her."

I finally found Sharon with Tee.

"Hey, Sharon. Can we talk?"

"You want to go into the office?"

"Nah, we can do it here. We just need a little quiet. Tee can listen. I only wanted to ask about Julie."

"I don't know what to tell you. She's ... sad. And that's an understatement."

"I cannot begin to imagine how she feels."

"How do you feel?"

"My leg is healing little by little. It feels better than it did yesterday."

"How do you feel inside?"

"Don't ask me that right now. I'm barely holding it together with everyone here. If I start talking about it again, well, I don't want to."

"I'm sure you're hurting just as bad as Julie is."

"And you. The problem is that all these people should be with Julie."

"Sam, Julie has friends and family too. There's her mother also."

"They must feel awful."

"They have each other."

"Did you hear anything about the funeral?"

"No. I'll let you know as soon as I hear something."

"Thanks, Sharon. And thanks for coming here today. If Julie needs you though then I'd rather you be with her. She deserves it."

"I've been with her all yesterday, Sam. I'll watch after her for you."

"You're such a good person, Sharon."

"He's right." Tee said to her.

"I know Sharon is taking this hard, and I don't blame her, but how are you holding up, Tee?"

"Better than the rest of you. I saw Julie briefly. She's barely stopped crying this whole time."

"You two, tell her I miss her when you see her again."

"We will." Tee said.

I could tell it was taking a toll on Sharon. Jill was one of her best friends and of course since working with Julie and all the things we've been through, Julie was a very close friend also.

This whole affair was the biggest, stinkiest shit pile ever in my life. I had a few days of recovery ahead of me, but there would be no recovering from Jill's death.

Fred and Sharon were the last ones to leave. Tee wanted to stay. I told her I wouldn't be sleeping with anyone -- my leg was still sore.

Gail stayed over again. When it was time for bed I had to do some basic hygiene stuff for my leg. All the girls wanted to help so the bathroom was full.

I moved from the wheelchair to the side of the tub and took my pants off. I had the girls get the betadine, hydrogen peroxide, some gauze and an ace bandage from the medicine cabinet. I cleaned the wound and repacked it. It didn't look too bad: a few stitches in a line. There was bruising and some dried blood which I had done a real good job of cleaning away.

The folks in the hospital were either too rough or too gentle with it when they fixed it up, or maybe it's just a tad bit more healed by now. We bandaged it up better than it was and I was ready.

I kissed the girls good night and went to bed.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Sam's a hurtin' -- physically and emotionally. I think Julie has it worse. What do you think? Let me know.