- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sam may be forgetting about Julie. Things are going good for Sam. But wait.

----- Thursday

GRIND. GRIND.

"Ow! Ouch! Get off me, you big oaf!"

The giant foot lifted then came down again.

GRIND. GRIND.

"Aaaaaaaaaa!"

It wouldn't stop. It lifted, came down and ground me into the carpet. I was in tremendous pain.

"Please, stop. Somebody ... help!"

The gigantic foot lifted again but this time a huge hand snatched me away. It was as big as a king size mattress. I felt myself being lifted up and up, as if I were in a very fast elevator. I became dizzy. Another giant hand covered me from above.

The elevator stopped and the hand above me was moved away. I was trembling. I looked up at the gigantic face staring down at me.

"Zoe? Zoe, is that you?"

"Are you ok, Sam?"

"I hurt all over."

"You're cold and shivering."

"I'm scared."

Just then another hand grabbed me away from behind. I was blind-sided. It took me away from Zoe. Whoever it was was running -- I could feel the bouncing, the rhythmic swinging of the arm. I started to get sick. Then it stopped abruptly and I thought I was going to throw up. There was more jerking inside this hand. I could feel struggling. The hand opened and again I was transferred, not too gently I might add, to another giant's hand. I almost fell but whoever it was caught me. I tried looking out between the fingers that had me. I was hoping it was Zoe but this hand didn't feel like hers. Then more running.

The movement stopped and I could hear whoever it was above me breathing hard as if out of breath. I surmised that was probably from all the running. I was lifted a little ways and the hand was opened. I lay on my back for only a moment before I caught the flash of the other hand belonging to this giant or giantess, I didn't know who, coming down fast upon me. It was turned sideways and it hit my legs like a monstrous karate chop. I felt my legs break. It was sickening hearing the bones go. I screamed

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"

The next thing that happened took me by surprise, as if this whole incident wasn't surprising enough. I was lifted up high and obviously back behind whoever it was that held me, then the giant arm swung forward and I was launched into the air. I was flying toward a brick wall. This was it. There was no way I was going to survive hitting that wall. I mentally braced myself as best I could. Physical bracing would have been good but was out of the question flying in mid air.

Right before I hit, I woke up.

I was sitting upright breathing hard. I looked beside me to see a worried face.

"Sam! Sam! Are you ok?"

"Uh? Yeah, Jenn, I'm ok. It was just a bad dream."

"I'll say it was. Can I get you anything? A glass of water?"

"No. I'll be fine but I have to get up. I'll only be a few minutes. Wait here, ok?" I said. I gave her a kiss and jumped out of bed. I didn't bother putting any clothes on. The time for modesty had passed long ago in this house. Besides, this couldn't wait.

I knocked on Zoe's bedroom door lightly. She was waiting for me.

"Sam?"

"What the fuck was that, Zoe?"

"I don't know."

"You were there, right?"

"Yes."

"Good. Just wanted to make sure. I thought I was losing it."

"Let's go somewhere where we can talk."

"The office."

We made it to the office and both had a seat next to each other on the little couch there.

"What happened, Zoe?"

"I don't know. Someone snatched you from my grasp."

"Who?"

"I wish I knew."

"Didn't you recognize who it was?"

"It happened too fast. I ran after them but I got lost. I don't know how that happened. I was running and everything went dark."

"Shit. It was somebody I knew. It had to have been."

"Why?"

"How else can I make any sense of it?"

"It was a dream. People have been trying to make sense of dreams since the beginning of time."

"This was more than a dream. You were part of it. Don't you agree with me?"

"Maybe. I have no idea what it means, Sam."

"Zoe."

"What?"

"Thanks for saving me, even if you couldn't hold on."

"I felt so bad for you. You were shaking."

"Do you have any idea what it's like to be lifted several stories by a gigantic hand?"

"I'm sorry if I hurt you."

"You didn't. Someone else did. In fact, It was so comforting seeing a familiar and caring face up there in front of me. Especially yours."

"You looked so pale and scared."

"It was ..."

"What?"

"The dream. I think it was from where I left off in a previous dream."

"What happened in that one?"

"Sammie and I were running together. Somehow I lost her and this giant foot stomped on me. That was who you rescued me from. You saw them, didn't you? Who was it?"

"You don't want to know."

"You know. I knew it. Tell me."

"I don't want to."

"Tell me!"

"Julie."

"I can't believe that."

"I can only tell you what I saw. Maybe it wasn't her. It was just a dream, Sam. Don't make a big deal out of it."

"It was not just a dream, damnit!"

"Okay, calm down. How about a hug?"

"Okay."

We hugged each other, and yes, Zoe was still naked from the night before too. But it wasn't what you're thinking. It was an innocent hug, a comforting hug that I really needed. It was a tight hug.

"Zoe, I left Jenn hanging. I better be getting back to her."

"Are you going to be ok?"

"I think so. What time is it?"

"Uh, about two thirty."

"Thanks, Zoe."

"It was the least I could do for you."

"It was a lot."

I walked back to the bedroom where Jenn was still waiting.

"Are you ok now, Sam?"

"Yeah. I'm fine. It was just a dream."

"Why did you go see Zoe? I heard you two in the hallway."

"She helps me with my nightmares. She's into that stuff, you know."

"Nightmares."

"No, just general counciling."

"Did she help?"

"Yeah."

"So you've had these nightmares before?"

"It's not something I want to talk about, Jenn."

"Ok. Want a hug?"

"I'd love a hug."

"It will be time to leave soon, but maybe we have time for one more session before I have to go. That is, if you want to."

"You know I'd love to. How about sixty nine this time?"

"I'd rather we fuck."

"Any particular way?"

"You choose."

I chose to be up on my knees with her legs over my shoulders. She said good choice. I must concur.

We made love again and fell asleep to get an hour or two nap before we had to get up and start our day.

Unfortunately, Jenn neglected to bring a change of clothes with her and so she had to rush out to make it home and get cleaned up for work this morning.

Cindy was still naked after the rest of us had already showered and got ready to go, blah, blah, blah. Erin was working later today but I knew I wasn't going to see her until after I brought Zoe back from the clinic.


----- Ride to work

I had to leave a little bit earlier this morning since I had to bring Tee back home.

"I wish I could have stayed to have naked tea with Cindy." she said.

"Sorry, not enough time. You can come over this weekend."

"Can I?"

"What makes you think you have to ask?"

"I don't want to take you for granted."

"Of course you can come over. We'll all be looking forward to it, right Zoe?"

"Sure."

"We'll have a leaving the house party."

"Isn't it still a month away?"

"Okay, then we'll have a packing our shit up party."

"Oh that'll go over well."

"Yes, Tee, of course you can have naked tea with Cindy this weekend."

We had a good laugh, then Tee was dropped off at her home.

"So now that she's gone, Sam, are you doing alright?"

"I'm fine if you're talking about the dream. You're not worried are you?"

"I'm concerned about your emotional health."

"I feel fine. Thank you for asking."

"I, uh ..."

"Yes, Zoe?"

"I just want you to know something."

"What?"

"Holding you in my hands that way, it was, it was very special for me. You were so precious. I wanted to hold you forever. I was so disappointed when you left."

"I was grabbed from you against my will. I was stolen. Believe me I didn't mind being in your hands. In fact, I quite enjoyed it for the brief time we had together that way. I felt safe there once I saw your face."

"And loved?"

"Yes, safe and loved."

"Would you do it again if you could?"

"Yes. Why? Are you the one engineering these dreams?"

"No way, Sam. Believe me, I'm just as in the dark about this as you are. You have to believe me."

"I believe you, Zoe. Relax."

"I felt so warm and fuzzy holding you. I know it's a corny way of putting it but that's the only way I know to explain it. I-I want to do it again."

"So you have a holding onto little people fetish?"

She looked out the window for a moment.

"I do." she said. "I never felt like that. Maybe it was latent before, or maybe I just developed it. But only with you."

"Only me? Maybe it's not a fetish."

"Maybe it's because I'm small now and I want someone smaller to hold on to. I don't know."

"You're the shrink. You should know."

"Don't call me that."

"Sorry. So you really want to hold me in your hands again?"

"Oh God, yes."

I looked over at her sitting in the booster chair. She was trembling.

"This has really gotten to you, hasn't it?"

"It has."

"I looks like it's shaken you up more than me."

"I couldn't say. But I feel ..."

"Feel what?"

"I don't want to say this out loud."

"Why?"

"I don't want it come true."

"What? You can say it."

"I feel like I'm going to lose you. I'm sorry. The dream scared me."

"Don't be scared. If it's in my power to have you hold me in your hand again, I'd do it."

"You're too good, Sam. It's just a fantasy. I don't want you to be that helpless. And I don't want you to lose you. Maybe it's just that I want to protect you."

"You don't need to, Zoe. I promise."

We had made it to Inner Peace and Mind where Zoe worked.

"I'm sorry to unload on you like that, Sam."

"It's no problem. It's about us so it's not really unloading. I'm happy that we can talk about these things. I know it's intimate but we're beyond that point now."

"And private. Right?"

"I won't tell a soul. I'll see you tonight then?"

"Yeah. See you tonight."



----- Work

I suppose lunch with Jenn will never be the same again. One of the most obvious things is that Jenn looked at me differently. I should get used to that look.

"Thanks again for last night, Sam."

"No, thank you. How's my barefoot contessa today?"

"Sam! Behave."

"What? I didn't do anything."

"Barefoot contessa." she whispered. "Everyone will hear."

"So?"

"They'll ask why, then one question will lead to another and everyone will know."

"You're being paranoid."

"Just careful."

"You're too careful."

"Wait a minute. That's what I said to you."

"There ya go."

"Uh, okay. I have no idea what you mean by that."

"Neither do I. Most just accept and don't question it. The phrase usually shuts someone up pretty quick."

"You're a naughty boy."

"And don't you know it."

"Shhh. Maybe next time you can come to my place."

"So you won't have to rush out early in the morning?"

She giggled.

"You have to promise me, Jenn, that you'll make it out to the new house when I move."

"I will, if only to hang on your table."

"Will you come by this weekend?"

"I'm working on it. I'll let you know. It's hard to say no to my folks."

"I wouldn't want to come between you and your family. Family first, okay?"

"You're just afraid of my brothers."

Jenn had that starry-eyed teenage girl look about her. I have to admit, even without the starry eyes, she was looking pretty young. That's what shrinking does to you. And it's not just the size. I mean it really makes you look younger. If they could figure out how that happens someone could make millions selling the formula as the fountain of youth. I was convinced of it.



----- The clinic

I asked Zoe -- big Zoe -- about Billy. No news. He's still on the loose. She reminded me yet again to be careful. I assured her that I am, and would remain vigilant.

Jill and I talked a bit. I asked her to come see me this weekend.

"Jill, Julie's avoiding me. Not you too, please. Come on, we haven't really seen each other except here at the clinic for the last few months."

"I'll think it over. But can I ask a favor?"

"Anything."

"Do you mind if I bring a friend with me if I come?"

"Is it Julie?" I said perking up.

"No. It's Caleb. You know Caleb, right?"

"From the group? From here?"

"Yes. Tee knows him. He's Tee's friend too. She'll vouch for him."

"No need. If he's a friend of yours then sure, bring him."

"You sure you don't mind?"

"Not at all. So, you and Caleb, huh?"

"Yeah." she said, sheepishly.

"I think that's great, Jill. Uh, tell me now, how is Julie doing?"

"She's sad. I'm sure you understand."

"Tell her I'd like to see her. She can come over with you maybe this weekend?"

"I'll ask. But don't be disappointed if she says no."

"Why not?"

"She doesn't want to get out and do anything."

"Tell her I'd really like to see her. We don't have to talk about what happened if she doesn't want to. I just want to see her again. Okay?"

"I'll let her know."

"Thanks."

It was kind of stunning news to hear that Jill was going out with Caleb. Or maybe not. She didn't say they were actually going out. She just wanted to bring him with her. I got the picture in my head of the two of them. Jill was near seven feet tall now, but I wasn't sure exactly how tall. Caleb was about three feet. The top of his head couldn't even reach Jill's butt. But then, my head didn't come even that close to Julie's butt -- it was far below. I thought Jill and Caleb would make a great couple! Wink, wink. I smiled inside.



----- Tee and Ava

Later Tee and I talked.

"Hey, do you know anything about Caleb and Jill?"

"No. What about them?"

"Did you know the two of them are friends?"

"We're all her friends."

"They're really good friends, I think."

"What makes you say that?"

"I invited Jill to the house this weekend and she asked if it was ok to bring Caleb along with her."

"What did you say?"

"I said of course it's ok."

"Wow. Jill and Caleb. I never knew."

"Maybe they're just friends. You know, strictly platonic."

"You don't ask to bring just a friend over with you when you've been invited somewhere. Caleb's her date. There's something there for sure."

"I do hope that they show up. I'd like to know for sure."

"I'm gonna tell Ava."

"Hey wait. Tell me what you meant yesterday when you said Ava is, what was it, connected? No, I mean history."

"We have a history. Sort of."

"Yep, a history. How is that?"

"She went to Central High."

"Oh. Okay, well, that's not our school. We were kind of rivals."

"She and I were talking about high school and me being a cheerleader and how you wrestled. She said she saw you wrestle in high school."

"Oh, that's the history part. Sorry, but I don't remember her at all."

"She barely remembers you. It was an away game for us. The cheerleaders didn't go with the wrestling team on away games."

"Too bad."

"You beat their wrestler."

"I know. We always beat Central. We were invincible!"

"Yeah, well, she remembered telling her friends when you won that it didn't mean anything. You were a lightweight and lightweights didn't count."

"We counted as much as the heavyweights in the scoring."

"I know. She knew that too but that's not how she played it with her friends from school at the time."

"Ah. Very shallow of her."

"She knows how bad she was being. I wasn't much better, Sam."

"Didn't you hear Zoe last night? She made it pretty clear that high schoolers aren't mature. You can't really be held responsible."

"It was just a discussion that Ava and I had."

"How did she know it was me that she saw on the mat? I mean it must have been a long time ago."

"Who else can pin their opponent in under then seconds?"

"Oh, I see. But still, she never knew me. I doubt she could have remembered."

"I told her."

"Okay that explains it. So, that's the history?"

"That's the history. Sort of."

"Yeah. Sort of. You looking forward to tomorrow night?"

"I guess so."

"Well don't be too enthused." I said, sarcasm implied.

"I'm excited about it."

"Don't you like singing?"

"Yes, Sam. I love to sing with you."

"It's a big deal to me. I hope Julie comes."

"Sam, don't hold your breath."

"She might."

"Please don't be upset if she doesn't show up."

"Alright. But I'm still excited.

We talked a little more until it was late. I was about to start getting ready to leave.

"Wait, Sam. Ava here wants to ask you something."

"Fine. Tee told me about you in high school, Ava."

"Oh that. This is not about that." Ava said.

"Okay. What is it?"

"I have this friend. She wants to meet you."

"Ah, I see."

"No, she's a grad student. She heard about you."

"What did she hear?"

"It's what Tee said."

"What did you say, Tee?"

"I don't know."

"Tee was telling me how all the girls flock to you."

"Oh dear. Where is this going?"

"Taylor is doing research. She just wants to gather data."

"About me?"

"She seemed interested."

"I bet. When does she want to meet?"

"I'll ask her. Is it okay with you?"

"I guess so."

"Good. I'll let her know."

"Get my number from Tee. I have to go. I need to talk to Jill first. I'll be back in a minute Tee. ... Jill! Jill!"



----- The incident

"I have to bring this cart down to the collection room, Sam."

"I'll walk with you."

I forgot to tell Jill about the new house. We were down at the end of the hallway when Jill was unlocking the door. She had to stoop way down to reach the door knob. How do these girls get so tall? I did feel a little sorry for her having to scrunch down so low. She seemed to be doing a better job of avoiding hitting her head on the top of the doorway than Julie did when she was that size.

She opened the door, ducked under to get inside the room than pulled the cart inside. I waited out in the hallway while she did her thing. News about the new house can wait another minute or two, but I was chomping at the bit to tell her.

I was across the hall from the door when I heard someone. People don't usually come this far down the hall. I looked but there was no one. I turned around and then heard it again. When I turned back to face the sound he was there.

"Well, well, look who it is. We meet again, Sam."

"Billy!"

He was holding a gun and pointing it at my chest, the little fucker. He was shorter than I remember -- shorter than three feet tall. I guess there's no pdq in prison. Fuck! Fuck, fuck, fuck!

"I've been dreaming of this moment for the past six months."

"Everyone knows you escaped prison, Billy. They even know how you did it."

"They're fools. They couldn't catch me if they tried."

"They've been waiting for you to show up. The cops are all over the place."

"You're bluffing."

"Whatever." I said shrugging.

"I know you. You're tricky."

"So what do you want?"

"I want you dead." he spat.

I looked him straight in the eye and didn't blink.

"Aren't you going to come up with a cute remark now, Sam?"

"No."

"Beg."

"What?"

"Beg for your life."

"No. Go ahead, shoot."

He was close. He had the gun pointed down at my chest and I knew that he would raise it to my head if he were going to shoot me. And that would be my chance.

I would grab the gun as he did so with my thumb behind the trigger so he couldn't shoot it. I'd then apply a twist to his wrist to get the gun out of his hand. I had been trained for this. My breathing was calm. I had the situation under control. Everything was planned years ago.

But here's the thing with plans. You always have to have a plan B and plan C. I had neither. There was none. There's not a way in the world to plan for all the contingencies that the universe can throw at you.

I saw Jill come out of the room from the corner of my eye but kept it on Billy lest he turn his head to look at what I was looking at. Then Jill did that thing for which you can't plan, and for which turned out to be the worst thing possible: she reached for Billy.

"JILL, NO!"

It was too late.

BAM! BAM!

I lunged in and grabbed his gun hand.

BAM! BAM! BAM!

Three more shots rang out before I got had my hands on his. Maybe more. I wasn't sure. We wrestled. I had his arm up in the air. I twirled my whole body around to twist his arm.

BAM!

Another shot was fired into the ceiling before I had secured the gun. We struggled. He slipped and we both came down. I made sure I was on top. We both had lost our balance but since I was on top and holding on to his arm as tight as I could, my full body's mass, what little there was, came down on top of Billy's gun arm. I suppose being little himself his arm couldn't take even my meager weight. I felt the arm give way, I heard the sickening snap.

I wasn't sure who's arm it was that broke but I was easily able to take the gun out of his hand. I threw it down the hall, it skidded and came to a rest halfway down against a wall.

Seeing that Billy was down and writhing in agony I jumped over to Jill. She was sitting on the floor with her back against the wall.

"JILL! Jill, are you alright?"

"I'm sorry, Sam." she said in a meek voice.

"No, no, no. Stay with me. SOMEONE HELP! HELP! I'm here Jill! Look at me. You're going to be okay. Just stay with me."

"Move, Sam." someone said. Before I knew what was happening Dr. Hall and then Dr. Sarson were working on her. Others from the staff were there too.

"I love you, Jill. You'll be alright. They'll fix you right up."

Billy was still on the ground. There was a circle of people forming around him. His right forearm was bent back almost upon itself a good sixty or seventy degrees. I wanted to kick him! I wanted to spit in his face! Fortunately, or unfortunately, my good senses prevailed.

It didn't seem too long before the EMT's or paramedics or whoever arrived. So did the cops. They moved everyone away except me and the doctors.

"He did it!" I pointed Billy out to the cops.

"We'll take care of it, sir." they said. "It's over now."

Like hell it is, I thought.

I had to call Julie even if she wasn't taking my calls. I went to the corner, dialed, and waited for the message. It took forever but finally I was able to record a message for her.

"Julie, it's Sam but this is not about us. God I hope you hear this soon. It's about Jill. She's been shot. Yes, shot. They're bringing her to the hospital. She needs you and mom there. Please listen to this. Please."

It was all I could do. They were bringing Jill off on a stretcher when I started to walk out. One of the medics stopped me.

"Where to you think you're going?"

"I have to drive to the hospital. Jill's my friend. I'm dating her sister." It wasn't much of a lie really. Besides, they'd never know.

"You're not driving anywhere."

He was pointing to my leg. When I looked I saw my pants drenched in blood. Oh shit, what did I get myself into now? He laid me down and took out his scissors.

"Wait. Don't cut. Do you know how hard it is to find pants that fit me?"

"Those pants are full of blood, sir. They're going in the trash either way."

"Fine. Cut."

When they did I saw blood oozing out of my left thigh. They wrapped it tight and put me on a stretcher. They put in an IV right before they wheeled me out.

"Wait." I said. "TEE! TEE!"

"I'm right here, Sam."

"Here, take my keys. Drive Zoe home for me. Keep the car until I come get it. It's yours until I get out of the hospital."

"I'll take care of her, Sam." she said with tears in her eyes. I wish I could have reassured her more but they were taking me away. Away to the hospital. It was only a leg wound and I was sure I'd be alright. I was worried more about Jill.

It was real busy in the emergency room. I didn't know what they were doing, but there were a lot of them and they were doing something. They stripped me. The leader of the group, a doctor who's name I can't recall, told me they were taking x-rays. They had an x-ray machine on wheels. Imagine that. There was some mention of surgery and that's all I remember.

 

Chapter End Notes:

You probably weren't expecting that. Hope you're not mad at me. Stay tuned because their's more to come.