- Text Size +

Amarice shivered, it was so very cold!

It was tough, getting up so much earlier and braving the chill, but the Mini knew it would be well worth it.

Around her was silence, save for the hum of the shield generators which protected their village. Above, the clear sky afforded a lovely view of the twinkling stars. Lowing her gaze from the sky, she saw lights emanating from the servant quarters on the fourth floor of the huge manor, the Halflings undoubtedly readying themselves for another day of work.

Talk within their little town had been non-stop. The people very excited to have the Viceroy actually visit them, even with the damage she and Lady Sienna caused. A new appreciation of the Viceroy had emerged. She was now seen as a person, someone real not a remote figure ruling from on high. Amarice wished more people could see their Viceroy in such a light.

The Mini was so wrapped up in her thoughts, that she didn’t see the beast sneak up on her.
With a muted shriek, Amarice jumped back as the gigantic cat leaped at her. She was very glad for the protection of the shield generators as the feline smacked directly into the force field and received a quite a shock.

Her initial shock turned into tears, Amarice crying due the knowlegde of what might have happened. She had thought about waiting in front of the field, and if she had done so, she’d be a meal for the cat now. How she wished she could be giant, strong, and as beautiful like the Viceroy. The ruler of Eurasia was scared of nothing, or so it seemed to Amarice.

Shaking from a surge of adrenaline Amarice watched the cat, as it prowled round the edge of the force field. Occasionally it would raise a paw and take a swipe. Each time, the cat got a shock, and Amarice jumped back, another jolt of terror running through her. She closed her eyes a moment, imploring the gods to send the cat away or bring the Viceroy to her aid soon.

Then, the cat tensed plastering its large ears back flat. Amarice dearly hoped that the force field would hold as the beast appeared to be readying for another try at her. After a blood curdling yowl followed deep hiss, it suddenly bolted away, vanishing into the darkness.

Momentarily, Amarice was confused as to what had just transpired, then she felt the heavy footfalls and knew why the beast had fled.

Her savior was approaching, praise be to the Gods!

As before, the Viceroy was dressed in running shoes with long black tights. This time, due to the cold Amarice her ruler had chosen a body hugging top with long sleeves. Her thick and very long black hair was not in a pony-tail, but left to flow freely about her back and shoulders.

With two heavy thuds, the massive running shoes halted right in front of her. A hand was silently lowered palm up in invitation.

Amarice hesitated, looking quickly this way and that for the beast which had terrorized her.

“C’mon girl.” The giant Viceroy urged. “You wish to run with me, don’t you?”

Summoning all her courage, little Amarice ran with all she had though the force field and leaped right into that open palm. Silently pleading that the Viceroy to lift her up quick!

Mercifully she did…

“You really are excited, that was quite a display of athleticism Amarice.” The smile of mirth on Kyla’s lips quickly faded into a look of deep concern.

“Why do you cry?”

Amarice wiped her face roughly, ashamed of herself for not being strong like the Viceroy. She dipped her head down to look at her shoes.

“Amarice?” The Viceroy tried again. The Mini reflected on how she loved hearing the way her ruler said her name. It was spoken slowly, each syllable was enunciated clearly. It made her almost swoon to hear it spoken as such.

“Tell me what is bothering you girl.” This time it was an order, and Amarice knew she must answer, though she felt ashamed for being weak.

“A great feline beast, tried to attack me and I…” Her voice trailed off.

“Are you hurt?” Amarice looked up from her shoes to find herself before blue eyes, which where darting to and fro as the Viceroy checked her over for any injury.

“No, no.” Amarice reassured, “I was behind the shield, but…but it scared me so, I…I’m sorry Viceroy, I wish I was strong and unafraid like you.”

With a most gentle movement, Amarice found herself pressed against the fabric of the Viceroy’s top, covered by the giant hand which had held her.

“Is that what you think girl? Amarice there is nothing wrong with you being scared of a cat so much larger than you.”

“But you are never afraid.” The mini said soft causing Kyla to smile sadly.

“Oh, there are many times I’ve been afraid Amarice. You mustn’t look at fear as being a curse. Fear gives us discernment, so we don’t rush into situations without first thinking of the danger. Without fear we would all live very short lives, doing whatever we wished, no matter the risk.

Amarice couldn’t help herself, snuggling up as she listened to her Viceroy. It was comforting to feel the deep reverberations of her ruler’s voice passing through her little body.

“But you would never be scared of something as silly as a cat.”

“If it were many times my size I would be.” Kyla replied. “Amarice, being a colossi gives me many advantages in this world.”

“Viceroy, pardon, but might I ask a personal question?”

“You may ask, I may, or may not answer girl.”

“What causes you fear?” Asked Amarice, feeling gentle movement. The Viceroy was walking, she could tell by the jolts with each of her steps.

“Many things.”

“Really!?” Amarice squeaked.

Kyla chuckled, “Of course.”

“I fear for the safety of my wife as not all love me, and may choose to hurt her in retribution for the way I rule. I fear for those within my lands and those who work in my manor, worried that something may cause them harm. War, some disease, an act of terror. ”

“But you never show fear, least none that I’ve seen.”

“A ruler must never show fear, for if he is afraid, his people will also be afraid and that leads to suffering. Instead, the ruler must show strength and confidence so that the people may take comfort, knowing all is well.”

“I know for certain,” Amarice said with surety, “that you were never scared in battle, I have often gazed at the great painting of you in the grand entrance hall. You look ever so heroic holding high the flag of our Empire amidst the chaos!”

“Oh Amarice…” Kyla laughed. “That painting is a glorified view of me in battle, meant to remind all who it is that rules over them.”

“That didn’t happen?”

“It happened, just not exactly the way depicted in that painting.”

“I see…” the Mini said disappointed.

“Think twice about putting me on some pedestal Amarice, I have faults aplenty and do make mistakes. Just ask Sienna, should you doubt me.”

Amarice giggled.

“Now shall we run?” asked Kyla

“Yes!” Amarice replied excitedly while moving to climb into Kyla’s breast pocket.
“Oh and Amarice?”

“Yes Viceroy?”

“Not one word about our conversation. Remember. Viceroy’s do not show fear.”

The Mini ensconced within her pocket nodded most solemnly.
**
“And how was your run?”

Kyla leaned over to give Sienna a peck on the cheek. “Good,” she said simply.

“Did you take Amarice with you?”

“I did, the little thing loves to ride along.” Said Kyla while taking a seat at their breakfast table.

Sienna took a sip of coffee then smiled as she placed the cup down. “That girl will be so tired doing her chores today.”

“Makes for better sleep tonight then, she does not have to come with me, she chooses to,” replied Kyla as a breakfast was set before her. Minya then picked up her little stool and moved it in order to better serve Lady Sienna.

“The girl adores you Viceroy.”

“She romanticizes what I am, you my dear know the truth and still love me. A miracle of miracles if there ever was one.”

Sienna laughed. “You know, I worried little Amarice would pay a price for your spending time with her. It appears she has earned much respect from the other servants as they are most afraid of you Kyla, you do have a formidable persona.”

“All the better if it keeps the servants in line.” Kyla took bite of oatmeal. It was served just she liked it, without any sweetener added.

“And you?” Don’t you have school to teach?”

Sienna laughed. “You have your days mixed up Viceroy, we are on solstice break.

“Teachers… always on holiday…” Kyla muttered.

“Oh hush!” Sienna chuckled. “I work hard and you know it.”

“True, I do not dispute that.”

“Or, you’d find yourself on a couch.” Retorted Sienna.

“Maybe a bed in another room at the very least.”

“No, those rooms are being readied for your Governors, Viceroy. You would be on a couch as I don’t wish you to sully the bed.”

Now it was Kyla’s turn to laugh. “So what plans for you today?”

“Today the specks get their new apple trees, and I’m most excited as our salt water whales have arrived.”

“I would like to see these whales, I read they were quite large at one time, far larger than any animal on Earth.”

“Well, they aren’t now, I can assure you, but at least we can see them without aid of the enhancer. You’ll see them soon, I had the pet shop hold on to them until I can ready the habitat.

“What about those…” Kyla tried to recall what they were called.

“Oh the sharks?”
“Yeah.”

“The owner of the pet store did much research, he tells me it may not be a good idea to introduce them into our habitat.”

“Why is that?” Kyla finished her breakfast, holding out her cup for Mynia to fill with coffee.

“Seems they would eat your people Viceroy, should they go for a swim.”

Kyla was always amused that Sienna made sure to refer to the specks as her people. She doubted the primitive little things, understood who she was, or much of anything else about the giant world outside their habitat,

“The sharks would eat the specks?”

“They’d eat us if they were large enough.”

“Interesting.”

“So,” Sienna continued after giving Kyla a look for her pithy response. “I’ve ordered as many salt water fish as I can, but for today I plan to install the apple orchard I’ve created. Then I’ll create a sea in their habitat.”

“Will you have it ready before the Governors arrive?”

“I believe so. Why?” there was suspicion in Sienna’s tone.

“I was just thinking we could move their habitat into the grand reception hall for the duration of the visit by my Governors.

“Oh that’s a splendid idea!” Sienna smiled wide in excitement. “They can see how advanced our little people are!”

“Or just a good conversation piece…” Kyla added. “A showcase of your hard work.

Sienna bounded up from the table “I’ve got so much to do.” She quickly kissed Kyla on the lips. “Have a good day terrorizing the masses love.” With that she swept out of the room.

“Funny, very funny.” Kyla took a last sip of coffee. “Be even funnier if it wasn’t… so… true.”

She allowed the full weight of her stern gaze to fall upon the Halfling nearest.

The woman swallowed hard, visibly spooked by that evil glare.

“Just who I wanted to speak with…” Purred Kyla most dangerously. “Tell me Mynia, of what you said to Lady Sienna regarding my order to have this manor sprayed. And spare me no detail…"

**
“And here you shall make your entrance Viceroy.”

Governor Baroun walked along, a map of the city of Krazów to illustrate. The massive desk of the Viceroy was actually a cleverly designed computer. On its surface, she could pull up all types of information, to include the map he was walking over.

“The roads, you are sure they are wide enough for myself and Lady Sienna?” Kyla folded her arms over her chest, leaning back in her leather chair.

“Very sure Viceroy.” Baroun glanced up first to the Viceroy, then over to her slimy minion, the Grand Inquisitor.

“And then?” Kyla prodded.

“You will make an offering to the gods in front of the statue dedicated to our Empress. “Here in the very heart of our city, the main square.”

“A very tiny statue.” Torquemada said with disdain. “Viceroy, the visual of you looming over a diminutive Empress may not be the best idea.

“It cannot be helped, in their city I shall loom over everything due to my size.”

“The Empress may take offence, she does prefer to be shown as commanding and with her statue being so small it could end up all looking a bit silly.”

“Governor, how many of your people will be in this square?”

“Thousands upon thousands Viceroy.”

“And they will be kneeling?”

“Of course.”

“There you have it Torquemada, think of that visual, thousands of Mini’s kneeling before the Empress along with their Viceroy. It will do much to impress.”

“I have my doubts Viceroy, but with your will go on.”

“It will advance the presiege of the Empress more than harm it, you will see. Go on Baroun what next?”

“A brief tour of the highlights of our capital, followed by a meet and greet with the town leadership.”

“Make if a very brief tour and a very brief meet and greet as you call it.”

“Yes, Viceroy.”

“As I do not wish to inadvertently pull down any structures, I will not wear my cape.”

“You will still look most grand dressed in your armor, Viceroy.”

“Very well, I give my approval to this.”

“Wonderful!” Baroun smiled up at her. Actually, he was a bit unnerved, The Viceroy was being far nicer to him than normal, it was disconcerting!

“Oh and, ah… I want you to make sure the censer burning the incense is placed far from where Lady Sienna, she has a ah… bit of an allergy to it. I would hate to see your people blown down in the hundreds if she should sneeze.”

His eyes widened as her words registered. “I shall make sure, Viceroy.”

“Good, dismissed.”

Torquemada remained silent until the Governor was carried out of the room.

“Viceroy, do you think it really necessary to visit the Miniature’s city?”

“Yes, the Empire demands loyalty from those little people, we must show loyalty in return.”

“I would be remiss if I did not tell you that many think of the Mini’s as second class citizens.”

“They are wrong Torguemada, very wrong.” Growled Kyla while standing. Rounding the desk she moved to loom over the Colossi man. If Sienna were here He’d be just over waist height to her, to Kyla he was much smaller. “The law is clear, and I want it enforced. No more abductions of the Minis.”

“Your will Viceroy.” Old Torguemada dipped his head, I shall hunt down those responsible and leave it to you to decide their fate.”

“Good.”

After leaning over her desk to issue a command with a touch of a finger, Kyla walked across her grand office. “Come, sit Torguemada.” She urged. The two, seating themselves on grand settees opposite each over as tea was served.

Again Torguemada waited to speak until they were alone.

“Viceroy, many claim you hold fondness for the Minis due to the influence of your wife. They say, next she will next wish you to give the specks rights.”

“Only the Empress may grant citizenship rights, you know that.” Kyla took a sip of tea. “And I am sure she is not inclined to do so.

“Still, many have heard of the rather…extravagant purchases... Lady Sienna has made. They say she has the grandest habitat for the specks in the whole of the Empire.”

“And?” Kyla rumbled low. Her tone causing the little man to fidget a bit. She watching as one of his hands moved up, fingers dragging though grey hair.

“Many say she is a lover of these specks, that she pushes you to see them as deserving of rights.”

“They are right,” Kyla smiled. “At least on a couple of points, Lady Sienna does love the specks, for what reason I do not fully understand. However, if she chooses to give them a grand habitat here within my manor, or suddenly decide to train them to perform in a teeny speck circus that is her business and her business alone."

“I only inform you of what I hear, Viceroy.” The man shifted on the large couch, his feet dangling off the ground.

“As I know you only look out for my best interests," Kyla prefaced, "I tell you clear, I do not share Sienna’s views Torquemada. Perhaps once, before the event occurred, the specks were like us. Now they are not like us, they are tiny, and primitive, and weak, mere curiosities that give us entertainment. They contribute nothing to the Empire and as such deserve no respect. We cannot give respect to beings that we can blow into oblivion with an errant breath, or that we can easily crush under a pinkie. "

“Understood?”

“Understood, Viceroy.”

"All that being said, Sienna would be most upset if I did not add that I have witnessed the specks exhibiting a certain level of sentience. A low one in my opinion, but my wife believes they can… evolve… and I have resolved to try and have an open mind on the subject.”

“For the sake of argument, let’s say they do have intelligence, what then?” asked Torquemada.

Kyla smirked, “Then it would be up to the Empress. You, and the regional governors will get the see the habitat my wife has created. I want to hear your thoughts on you observe within it.”

“I look forward to seeing it, Viceroy.”

“Good, now to the foolishness of the Governor of India. I have ordered that all those she imprisoned be sent to the gulags, a lesson to others not to agitate against the Empire.”

“I should like to keep a few to… interrogate…” Torquemada smiled wickedly, “to learn more about any possible underground network of dissenters.”

“If you find such, arrest all and ship them to the gulag as well.”

“Perhaps, a little something more is needed to instill a healthy degree of fear Viceroy. Allow me to make a few arrests in the dark of night, hold people for a few days. I will release them of course, but it will show the populace how easily the Empire can make any of them disappear.”

“I’ve trained you well. Do so and I look forward to reading your report.”

“Then by your leave, I shall depart.”

Kyla nodded.

“Viceroy.” At the voice, Kyla stood and walked over to her desk. Opening a screen she looked down at the projected image of her mini secretary.

“Yes?” she asked while quirking an eyebrow.

“The Empress demands you make contact.”

Kyla straitened, on edge, one never knew with the Empress. “Beam her transmission into my office. I want no interruption.”

“Yes, Viceroy.”

Kyla rounded the desk as a tone sounded. Quickly she moved to kneel as the ghostly image of the Empress shimmered into view.

**

“The great sleep approaches!” came the cry from outside the hut.

“What?” Alaric said confused.

The high priest stood, his family leaving the breakfast table in a hurry.

“I haven’t time to explain, look.” The old man opened the main door.

A greenish yellowy cloud was rolling over the landscape enveloping all.

“What is it?”

Remaining silent, the priest guided Alaric to his sleeping mat.

“You will soon see.” The man said soft as tendrils of the cloud began fill the hut.

**
“Nite-nite little ones.” Sienna said soft. “When you wake you will have a new valley filled with apple trees.”

A light upon the console told her the gas had caused all within to fall asleep. With a press of a button, she began filtering out the gas, saving it for the next use. Rampant curiosity caused her to press another button, and laser light filled the habitat for some moments.

“10,000 Wow!” Sienna was amazed. “You teeny people sure know how to procreate. Well get ready, more of your people will be joining you by the end of the week.”

Standing, she moved to slide the lush new Valley into place, being sure to lock all the components correctly in place. After a reboot, the environmental computer, recognized the new addition, and the fruit trees, making the adjustments to ensure they got precisely the right amount of sun and rain.

She hated putting the specks to sleep, but it was better than creating mass panic in their little world as she slid new lands into place.

“Done.” She announced cheerily, “Time for a bath before…” She gasped, seeing Kyla standing silent in the doorway.

“Viceroy taking a break from…” Sienna stopped speaking at seeing her wifes expression.

“What’s wrong?” asked Sienna.

Kyla said nothing, instead she walked right up to the habitat, looking down at the perfectly tiny landscape, now laid bare due to the absence of the blue sky filter.

“The force field on?”

“No Kyla.”

Sienna watched as her wife leaned in close, her focus on a tiny village. Had the occupants been awake they would have been petrified to look up and see an immense blue eye observing them.

“Please watch your breathing honey, they are fragile.” Sienna warned quietly.

Teeny huts, an earthen path though the village. The temple of made of rock where Sienna hoped the specks were learning the language of the Colossi. Beyond, the trickle of water these people knew as a great river. Farther on, the new valley filled with apple trees. She moved to inspect the new lands her wife had created with such loving care.

Kyla exhaled just a bit and ever so gently, watching the apple trees sway.

“Oh do be careful!” Sienna cried.

So incredibly fragile this land and she so incredibly vast by comparison, pondered Kyla.
It appeared it would also be that way as…

Straightening up, Kyla’s eyes welled with tears, tears quickly blinked away before Sienna could see them.

Turning she looked down at Sienna, “The Empress choses to grace us with a visit.”

“Oh, no…” Sienna was truly frightened by the revelation.

“It is not bad my love, she is most pleased with my service.”

Sienna breathed a sigh of relief.

“Would you see that our home is in order for her visit?”

“Of course Viceroy. If the Empress is pleased why do you look so sad?”

“We shall talk about it tonight.” She could never completely hide her emotions from Sienna.
Kyla smiled tightly, then left the room.

Sienna pressed a button and the force field reconfigured, then enclosed the updated habitat of the specks.

Then Sienna also departed, to begin preparations for the Empress’ visit.

The specks slumbered on peacefully within their tiny world.