- Text Size +

Alaric, Chieftain of the Raven Goddess Clan, opened his eyes.

His vision was blurred, the result of a hard knock on the head. He tried to move, a sharp pain lanced though one arm.

“Whati…” he rasped in his people’s tongue. “Broken…”

He decided it best to lie still for a few moments more in hopes his vision would clear.
**
Sienna woke.

Sliding one leg over, she poked one foot out of the covers, testing the warmth in the room. With a scowl she tucked her foot under the blankets again. Kyla and her miserly ways! At night she turned down the heating units, though they could well afford to keep the mansion warm.

To every bad there is a good, Sienna smiled, recalling what her mother used to say. “The bad, the room was terribly cold. The good, she was quite warm in Kyla’s arms.

Her wife was snoring noisily, “Louder than ten little men…” Sienna muttered irritably. Still, she reflected, a few more minutes of dozing in warmth was hard to resist.

Sienna happily closed her eyes and sighed in contentment.

**
His vision clearing momentarily, Alaric looked over his arm, seeing no bone protruding anywhere, a good omen; perhaps he might yet survive this ordeal and make it back to his village. Attempting to stand, he made it to his knees before needing to stop when his vision became fuzzy again.

Keeping his arm immobilized as best he could, he blinked repeatedly trying desperately to clear his vision. Panic having taken hold. Something big was moving toward him.

As the fog over his vision lifted, he cried out at seeing the beast. The Spider was wounded spears lodged in its sides. Even so, it was slowly dragging its bulk toward him, instinctively wanting to feed.

**

“Damnit Kyla!” Sienna raised a hand and bopped her wife on the arm.

“Wha--?” A sleep addled Kyla woke to find herself being pushed away by Sienna.

“What’s the matter?” she asked confused.

“You passed gas!” Sienna barked in accusation.

Kyla scrunched her nose. It was fowl.

“You and those disgusting protein shakes.” Sienna grumped while continuing to slide across the bed.

“Sorry…” said Kyla while grabbing the covers, ruffling them to clear the air in hopes her wife would come back.

Too late, Sienna was already sliding out of bed, her legs over the edge. Upon gazing downward where her sleep clothes were piled, she shrieked and quickly hauled her legs back up onto the bed.

“Kill it…kill it…kill it!”

“Kill what?”

“The spider!”

Throwing off the covers, Kyla stood then walked round the bed. “You do know you’re some million billion times its size, right?”

“Don’t care, kill it.” Sienna ordered. “And there is no such thing as million billion.”

With a smirk, Kyla picked up a shoe, intending to use it to squish the spider. Just before she slammed it down, something she saw halted her.

It was crawling toward…

“Hand me that milk glass.”

“What?”

“Milk glass,” Kyla gestured impatiently.

“Don’t let it live!” Sienna implored.

Crouching down, Kyla moved to get a better look at what had interested the little creepy crawly.

“Baby if you dare bring that spider near me, I’m gonna be so mad at you!” Sienna warned.

“I won’t.” Kyla reassured

“Yes, you would.” Sienna scooted back further on the bed.

Kyla squinted just to see the tiny thing.

**
He felt the ground shake gently, the result of the giant goddesses shifting in bed. Alaric’s ears rang due to their booming voices. He didn’t understand their words but they sounded urgent.

Then, the unmistakable earth shaking caused by footfalls knocked him off balance, bouncing him on the ground as they came closer. Alaric cried out in pain as his broken arm slammed against the floor.

The spider slowed its progress, the beastie feeling the shock waves as well.

A curtain of glass descended, imprisoning the predator.

Looking up, he beheld the Raven Goddess.

She had saved him.

**

“It was after a speck.” Kyla pronounced.

“Oh!” Sienna leaned forward, intent on putting her feet upon the floor.

“Wait! Kyla ordered, “You slam your feet down and you many just blow him away. Miracle that I didn’t do so while walking near him.”

Sienna instantly froze, not wishing to inflict harm on the speck. “You saved him from being killed by that horrible thing.” She said, referencing the spider currently attempting to climb the smooth walls of its circular glass prison. Her voice dropped to a whisper she thinking it would help calm the speck.

Kyla looked over at her wife all curled up on the bed, and couldn’t help but smirk.

“Dismiss it all you want, Sienna countered. “But you did save him from a horrible death.”
“Maybe so,” Kyla admitted. “He’s still in danger, so dammed tiny, hell, I may crush him by accident. Or exhale a little too forcefully and blow him away.”

“Oh, be careful!” Sienna felt for the little thing, so much so that her eyes welled with tears.

Ever so slowly Kyla lowered her hand palm upward. Carefully she extended a solitary finger, gently resting a fingernail on the hardwood floor.

**
Alaric watched as the massive Goddess crouched, unable to move his gaze away from those soul penetrating blue eyes.

With a loud thud and a vibration felt though his whole being, her finger landed right before him.

He didn’t know what to do.

**

“C’mon speck,” Kyla growled soft. “Climb on if you know what’s good for you.”

“He’s probably scared. We are so big to him, be like a mountain moving to us.”

“Scared or no, he has a choice. Stay where he is and die or clamber up onto my fingernail and have a chance to live.”

**
Well… thought Alaric. I’ve had a good life.

Slowly getting his feet under him, he then walked towards the enormous finger, with a step, he clamored onto the inside edge of the raven goddess’ fingernail.

**
“Good.” Kyla said encouragingly, impressed by the minute man’s bravery.

“Now hold on.” She warned while gradually lifting her finger.

**
The ride upward was unending. Alaric felt as if he may well throw up. The height was dizzying and the winds fearful, but suddenly he was before a gigantic eye, the azure eye of the Raven Goddess.

He knelt.

**

“Why does everyone feel it necessary to kneel?” Kyla grumped while observing the teeny thing.

“You have that effect on people big and small.” Sienna carefully got out of bed, mindful of the glass containing the spider upon the floor. “Besides, you like it and you know it.”

“He’s holding one arm,” Kyla frowned. “Perhaps it would have been better if I’d allowed the spider to get him.”

“No!” Sienna replied sternly. “Life it precious, be it his or ours!”

Kyla dipped her head slightly to her wife, knowing better than to argue the point. Better to leave be, but she just couldn’t resist. “Spiders excluded of course.”

The look Sienna gave her was withering.

“Well…” Kyla muttered while fidgeting a bit under Sienna's steely glare. “What do you want to do with him? I mean he can’t just kneel on my finger nail all day.”

“Here.” Sienna moved a bit closer. “Put him on my finger and I’ll place him in the world we’ve created for them.

“Don’t you think putting clothes on first might be a good idea?” Kyla pursed her lips to keep from smiling in amusement.

Sienna turned to dress quickly, all the while muttering darkly under her breath.

“Careful…careful…” Kyla warned as Sienna walked toward her. Immediately, her wife slowed her pace, reaching out slowly, she placed the pad of one finger underneath Kyla’s nail.

**

Alaric looked down at the tip of the mammoth finger with all its swirling ridges, then up into the green eyes of the Goddess. He didn’t know if he could trust her.

The last few cycles, the Raven Goddess clan and The Big Spirit tribe had been warring over which of the two goddess was supreme. Due to the blessings bestowed by the Raven Goddess, his people had prevailed, killing many of the Big Spirit tribe and winning control of a vast plain brimming with hundreds upon hundreds of delicious morsels.

Offerings to the Raven Goddess had saved his people from defeat, and saved him from the beast.

Surely she would now watch over him?

**
“Oh!” Sienna gasped as Kyla wiggled her finger and the little fella tumbled off to fall onto the pad of her digit.

“Be careful!”

“Being careful,” Kyla responded, “He just needed a little prodding.” she turned, walking to the wardrobe, intending to don running clothes.

“Don't forget to get rid of that spider.” Sienna called out as she left the room.

**
Alaric fell to his knees as he watched her walk away. “Great Goddess what have I done to offend you!” he wailed. “Please return! Continue to bestow your blessings on our clan!”
It was too late, she had spurned him for his display of weakness in not defeating the Spider.

**
“Amarice, be sure to pick up every crumb we do not wish to have specks infesting the kitchens.

“Yes, Ma’am” The mini replied without daring to look at the Head Housekeeper.

Giedia, was a most stern woman, whose ancestors hailed from Germania. As such she demanded great exactness in cleaning. For many years the old woman had lived and worked in the Manor, knowing every part of the great household and every Mini under her charge.

The trembles let all know a Colossi was approaching. Each of the larger peoples, the Halflings and the Colossi had a distinct vibration to their footfalls. The Halflings lighter in step, the Colossi heavier.

Amarice fervently hoped that the Colossi approaching was the Viceroy as first, she was excited to go on a run, so much so she'd barely slept over the past cycle. Secondly, because Giedia had been personally supervising her cleaning these last four hours, punishment for displeasing the Mistress of the house-hold.

Amarice wished she could tell Giedia that the Viceroy was not upset with her at all, but it was better to keep up appearances.

Within the kitchen, every Mini was on the move, running to line up against the wall, a protective measure instituted by Lady Sienna to ensure they did not end up under a large foot.

“By all the gods…” whispered Amarice as the Viceroy entered the space.

“One never does get used to their scale, especially from this angle.” Giedia observed.
Beyond massive tennis shoes rose toned legs clothed in tight black running pants. Along the outside edge of the pants, a thin gold stripe, district flourishes of military insignia upon it indicated the exalted rank of the Viceroy. Above that a seemingly miles long expanse of toned skin, showcasing muscular abs. With each breath, those abs undulated slightly, the lines becoming district then relaxing a bit. The Viceroy chose to wear a sports bra of imperial red.

“Might I be of help Viceroy?” Asked Giedia while stepping forward sure to project her voice so that the Mistress might better hear. The Mini took a deep breath and swallowed hard as those blue eyes shifted towards her.

Hands moved to rest upon hips.

“Amarice.” As usual, the Viceroy was succinct.

“What did you do now girl?” asked Giedia soft as Amarice emerged from under the kitchen cabinet to stand beside her.

“Nothing that I know of.”

Both stepped back as a hand was lowered, palm up.

Amarice climbed in. The hand rose, and all watched in fearful silence as the Viceroy departed.

**
“Okay… cooed Sienna down to the bitty man. “In you go.”

Alaric understood nothing of what the goddess was saying, but her tone was most gentle so perhaps all would be fine. In front of him a massive door suddenly opened, and he was sucked through it by a sudden violent burst of wind.

“Good luck little fella,” Sienna said cheerily as he vanished into the terrarium.

Rising up she walked from the den and into the nearby craft room.

“Get me Mynia.”

At her order, a halfling servant departed at a run.

Sienna sat at the long table, taking the sculpting tool in hand, she used the laser to begin contouring hills for this particular addition to the terrarium. She decided create long gently sloping valleys in which she could place the tiny apple trees.

**
Idiot! Thought Kyla as she listened to the Governor of India make his weekly report. Just kill these protesters and be done with it, jailing them at state expense serves no purpose.
This was her normal routine, while running she would listen to various transcribed reports, sending voice replies as needed. The work of running the Vice-royalty never ended, even on a weekend.

Kyla decided she would wait and speak to him when she met with all the Governors late this week. A long standing order, all governors required to appear before her. A check to let them know she was always watching their every move. With the help of the grand inquisitor and his army of secret police Kyla knew much about her Governors. When tax money was being misappropriated, the various affairs they indulged in, and every other dark deed they believed hidden from her.

“Baroun.”

At the command, the Mini's voice filled her ears. By his tone, she could tell he was most excited about her visit to his people. The Itinerary he rattled off cased Kyla to sigh inwardly, but it was best to get this visit over with. If you have something which must be done, do it as soon as possible.

“Tuesday.” Her one word reply to the Mini was duly sent. She would arrive in his city then.
She was about to issue a voice command to open yet another report when her ear's picked up on a squeal.

Immediately she slowed her pace.

Glancing down Kyla looked over the mini in her left breast pocket. “You okay girl?” She asked with concern.

“Faster! Faster!” Amarice urged adorably.

With a smile Kyla acceded to the request.

Amarice squealed again in delight.

The pocket the mini was in was meant for a small audio player, but it served well as a place to hold Amarice. She was securely tucked in as the pocket was almost completely zipped up.

Only the Miniature's head was exposed.

In the entirety of her life, Amarice had never experienced something so awe-inspiring!
Around her the world flew by, giant trees and other foliage a blur as it rushed past. Her whole body was jolted with every step her Viceroy took on the dirt path. She could also feel the strong thrum of every heartbeat and every breath taken by her ruler. Occasionally, the Viceroy would take a small (for her) leap and Amarice felt the amazing sensation of being weightless.

“Hold on.” Ordered Kyla as the obstacle course came into view.

A Wide-eyed Amarice held on with all she was worth.

Kyla lept upward, the mini in her pocket squealing in joy.

Fearless... thought Kyla while gapping one metal bar after another her body swinging in the air. She liked this mini, the girl was brave. Most of her size would be scared in this situation. Certainly Governor Baruon, he'd be wetting himself. Not so with little Amarice, she was clearly enjoying every moment.

Reaching the end of the bars, Kyla soldiered on running flat out, before leaping again to grasp the pull up bar. Raising her legs horizontal she proceeded to do her standard reps, each time she pulled her chin above the bar, the Mini cried out in delight.

Next up, running though dilapidated old tires.

**

“How long have you worked here Mynia?” Sienna did not look up at the Half-sized woman, instead being focused on carving out a valley.

“I have been in this house-hold 14 years Mistress.”

“I see.”

Sienna set the laser cutter down, puckering her lips a bit she gently blew upon the surface to remove excess dirt.

“And in all that time, you failed to learn that private conversations are just that, private.”

“I apologize for my actions Mistress.” Mynia resisted the urge to fidget a bit when Sienna looked over at her.

“Apology accepted Mynia, provided you do not do such again.”

“Never again Mistress.”

Sienna picked up another tool, the one with the tiny auger on one end. While looking though the enhancer, she began to drill little holes in the landscape. Places where she would put her new apple orchard.

“Will that be all Mistress?”

“No.” replied Sienna as she dotted the gentle slopes she'd created with holes for her teeny trees. I took a very steady hand to do so, but she was patient knowing the reward would be a beautiful landscape which her specks would enjoy.

“Tell me Mynia, of the order given to you by the Viceroy yesterday morning.”

“Order?” asked the Halfling.

“Don't play dumb Mynia, it doesn't suit you. Before you speak again, remember I have ears everywhere in this house-hold.”

“She ordered me to have the house sprayed, to kill the infestation of specks.”

“That will be all, Mynia.”

Sienna focused on her landscape work all the more, it helping her control the anger brewing inside.

**

“Again!”

Kyla smiled down at the Mini in her pocket.

“I think...” she huffed trying to catch her breath. “That is it for now.”

Even though she was in a pocket, the wind created by the movements of the Viceroy had made Amarice terribly cold. Crossing her arms over her chest, she shivered mightily.

In the next instant she was plucked from the pocket by giant fingers then pressed against smooth skin.

“Better?” asked Kyla with a bit of a smile as she looked down at the miniature she had pressed against the upper curve of her chest. The little thing peeked out from under her hand.

“So warm! Oh thank you!” she said cutely.

In the long silence which followed, Amarice very nearly dozed off. The Viceroy's skin was so very soft, and her strong heartbeat so comforting.

“Amarice?”

“Yes Viceroy?”

“Tell me, where do you live?” Kyla was embarrassed to have to ask the question.

“We live in the garden of course. Oh! You've never been there!” Amarice held on as the Viceroy chuckled soft.

“No, I haven't Amarice, will you point the direction in which I need to go?”

“Of course! Everyone will be so excited to see you!”

**
“Last one.” muttered Sienna. Biting her lip, she concentrated on the task of fitting the last tree in place. With tweezers she popped the last of the 300 bitty trees in place. They looked very natural as if they had always been in this valley she had created.

She hoped her people would enjoy the shade they provided and the fruit they would bear for them. Next she picked up the spreader, between finger and thumb. Sowing grass seed over the bare hillsides. The seed was far too tiny to see, plus the machine was all sealed up but she'd done this before with good results.

It was odd, the feeling she got when working on the habitat. In these moments, she felt as if a god, creating a world. True she was creating a world, but she was no god, just a human like those in the terrarium, only far larger.

These specks were people, Sienna had long accepted that even if Kyla had not. Still her wife was slowly coming round. Seeing the specks enlarged in size had clearly rattled her.

Even seeing the specks enlarged, Kyla had ordered an exterminator. “Two steps forward and one back.” Sienna sighed.

They would need to have a talk.

Finishing spreading seed, she placed the patch of earth under the watering mechanism. A fine mist began, watering new grass and trees.

Her stomach grumbled. Planting teeny fruit trees had made her hungry.

Standing, Sienna donned her red silk housecoat while placing feet into slippers.

Off she went, intent on finding her wife.

**

Kyla was speechless. Here in the midst of her formal garden was a town she never knew existed, filled with the people who served her every day. Streets, houses, and various buildings, all very tidy and all Mini sized.

“How long has this been here?” Kyla muttered her thoughts aloud.

“Many a year Viceroy.” Amarice answered adorably from within her hand.

Kyla took another step forward, feeling quite oafish, knowing that she absolutely towered over the little town. The Miniatures were filling the streets at her approach waving up at her cheerfully.

Raising a hand Kyla waved back rather sheepishly. Gods on high! If this was what a Mini town looked like she was going to be in real trouble when visiting Governor Baruon.

“Pardon Viceroy, but you may want to halt.”

Kyla stopped immediately. “Oh, I should know better, I'm probably rattling everyone with every step.”

“Not at all Viceroy, underneath the streets are dampeners, you are not jostling anything. The reason why is you are about to hit the force field protecting the town.

“Of course.... yes, of course.” uttered Kyla. All Mini settlements had a force field, protection against all manner of creatures bigger than them.

“You have all you need here Amarice?”

“Very much so, great Viceroy. Once long ago we were housed within the mansion. Lady Sienna had this constructed for us so we could enjoy living in our own town with fresh air and sunshine.

Kyla's natural protectiveness appeared “Aren't you cold out here, it...” she didn't know how to finish the thought.

“Oh no, we have heating in winter, some of our homes even have fireplaces. The...logs...are just little bits to you great Viceroy, but to us they are perfect. In the summer we have cooling units, just like in your great estate.

“And...water.”

“We have plumbing.”

“Food?”

“We have food aplenty”

“You walk all the way into the house every day?”

“We have a tunnel that-”

“There you are!”

Both Kyla and Amarice looked to see Sienna approaching.

“And how are you this day Amarice?”

“It has been the best day ever Lady Sienna!” the Mini replied excitedly. “The Viceroy took me along with her for a run!”

“Did she now?” Sienna looked up to meet Kyla's eyes, smiling when her wife blushed slightly.

“Yes! She runs so very fast! And! We went through an obstacle course with a maze of things that the Viceroy climbed on. I saw tires! Great round things. They have a hole in the middle that the Viceroy placed feet into, but just for a moment as she was running!”

“I know what you speak of Amarice.” Sienna leaned in a bit. “Sometimes our Viceroy makes me run the course when she thinks I need to work off the cookies I eat.”

Amarice giggled.

“Speaking of eating, breakfast is getting cold.” Sienna added.

Kyla immediately bent at the waist, to deliver a kiss on Sienna’s cheek. “I apologize, I am behind my time.”

“Shall we leave you here Amarice? Or would you prefer the Viceroy take you back to the manor-house?”

Amarice recalled the work Giedia had planned.

“Here would be wonderful Lady Sienna.”

“Very well, then.” Kyla began to lower the Mini to the ground.

“Thank you ever so much for taking me on a run!”

“You are quite welcome Amarice.”

“Should you ever wish to go again Amarice, all you need do is ask.” Sienna added.

“Could we go again tomorrow?” the Mini asked immediately caused both Colossi to chuckle.

“Certainly.” replied Kyla as she set her hand upon the ground, watching as Amarice hopped out stopping a moment to wave, she then walked through the force field and into town.

“How did...?”

“The Miniature's wear a badge with a chip implanted that allows them to pass though.” Sienna explained.

Kyla nodded in understanding. “You created all this for them.”

“Yes, they deserve no less.” Sienna moved to take Kyla's larger hand in her own.

“If this is what a Mini town looks like, I am going to be in real trouble during the state visit with Governor Baroun.”

“Perhaps a little practice before would help?” Sienna asked.

“Well, sure but how would I pract...” Kyla's brows rose and her eyes widened a bit. “You don't mean here.” she pointed to the mini town at their feet.

“Yes I do. We shall practice after breakfast.”