- Text Size +

Epilogue 1 A tale of two Monarchs

“Dad? Mom? You ready?”

He knew who was asking the question of course, it was easy to know by that strong, clear, confident voice. Possibly or the fact that she loved calling him Dad and Cathrin Mom as she’d never had a family before marrying Sienna. But before all that, he’d felt her approach, their home shaking despite the dampeners, or by the fact that the house had gone dark, the natural light blocked by Kyla’s all-encompassing shadow.

Dietrich smiled as he finished clasping the collar on his imperial tunic. Standing back a moment he admired himself in the entrance hall mirror, “not too shabby,” he muttered, “especially for an old fella like me.”

“C’mon old fella.” Cathrin teased as she walked by behind her husband, “don’t keep the Empress waiting.”

For their parents, the sight of Kyla was always an intimidating experience. Nothing made you feel smaller than when standing in front of the tip of one enormous boot. Sure, since coming to this world, they had been growing, but the size differential was too great. Dieterich and Carthrin would not catch up to those who arrived before them on this planet.

A hand was lowered, Kyla waiting most patiently as her aged parents clamored on.
With a gentleness learned though experience, Kyla raised her hand slow, mindful of the stomach dropping elevator ride her parents were getting.

“Dad, you look quite dashing in your imperial uniform.”

Dietrich absolutely radiated pride at her compliment.

“Mom, a lovely dress.”

“Thank you dear, Sienna helped me to pick it out.”

“Kyla, you’re going to sully your cape, bending down like that!” Chastised Sienna.

“Nah, I’m a pro at wearing a cape” The parents in her hand smiled when Kyla winked at them playfully.

“Least you think you are,” grumped Sienna, while running hands down her shimmering dress of sea green. Her comment earning a look from Kyla.

“Sorry…” Sienna said soft, “I’m just nervous, these state functions, all the people watching.

“Trillions in total, I believe on 20 worlds.” Dietrich chimed in.

“Thanks for reminding me Papa.” Groaned Sienna, "Do I—?”

“Beautiful as always,” Kyla said immediately, “ready to go?”

“Papa, Mama, ready?” asked Sienna.

“Of course daughter, glad Kyla is giving us a lift though, it would be a long walk to the shuttle.”

“She’s glad to help Dad.”

**
“I am a person!” Old Agathe beat on the force field with all her might. “I still exist!”

“Mom, are you sure she’s in there?” Olaf squinted, attempting to see within the enclosure.

The elder servant shrugged. “I don’t see how she’d get out, the force field has---“

“Yeah, but isn’t she the size of dust mite or something like that? Maybe she squeezed through or something?”

“Smaller than that." No matter what her size it, you don’t… squeeze through… a force field.

Mynia picked up the shaker of protein flakes, sprinkling them down into the cage.

Within Agathe screamed as the shuttle craft sized pieces slammed down around her.

“I don’t think she needs that much!” Olaf’s look was one of horror.

“Meh,” another shrug, “just making sure the…Empress…” Mynia chuckled. “Has enough to eat.”

“I think she has enough!”

“It’s just glorified fish food, not difficult to get more.” Mynia continued to merrily douse the little enclosure with the flakes.

“I can’t remember the last time I could actually see her.”

“Trust me, its better you don’t. I remember when she was in charge, nasty piece of work. Just deserts I say. A cage is too good for her, but, we do as the Empress commands.”

Despite being terribly fatigued from days spent walking to the boundary, Agathe was running like a woman half her age, as the giant flakes continued to fall from the sky. It was if the person doing the shaking wanted her to die! She was so busy trying to just survive there was no time to cover her ears from the sound of those thunderous voices.

“Oh shoot!” Mynia frowned.

“What?”

“Be a dear and get me that new enclosure, our Empress ordered from the Speck people. I forgot she wanted the teeny thing transferred, a surprise gift for Lady Sienna.”

“Sure!” off he went, her son was in the best of moods, happy to be able to be on break from boarding school and to be on Earth visiting his mother. Also, the boy was proud to be serving the Empress. Proud and a bit scared. He’d not met the Empress yet and she was due to arrive in a fortnight. Mynia, remembered her early dealings with Kyla, she could be very, well, daunting, to put it mildly.

“This?” her son held up a small gem looking object. “This is so tiny!”

“Miles of space in there for that old bat.” Mynia ruffled his hair, a source of embarrassment for her son. He was growing up fast, already done with his training, he about to begin his service in the Imperial Fleet in a few months. Every moment she had with him, was precious.

“How do you transfer someone you can’t see into another cage?”

“Easy, we vacuum her up.” It took a bit of fiddling but eventually Mynia undid the clasp, and fit the gem shaped cage onto the receiver. A flip of the switch and the suction began.
Within Agathe screamed as the bolder sized flakes flew round her. Desperately she tried to hand on, but it was no use. The winds were too great.

“Maybe we should get the locator and put her up on the view screen to verify she’s still alive?” Olaf, sifted nervously under the weight of Mynia’s glare. “Look,” he justified, “I just don’t want our Empress to be mad at us that’s all.”

“Oh alright then.” Mynia huffed.

Taking a seat on the edge of one of the giant chairs, the Halfling clicked on the view screen, then aimed a wand looking device at the tiny gem in her hand. An image appeared, first out of focus, then it sharpened.

“I am a person!” Agathe screamed.

Mynia shook her head while watching the ratty looking woman beat on the force field.

“I exist!!”

“I exist!!

“Please…” she sobbed. “I’m a person! I exist!”

Olaf, felt some pity of the naked, haggard old thing who was screaming like a banshee.

“Please talk to me!”

**

“Heralds play!” came the order.

Suddenly, the door to the chamber slammed shut. A bit of theater to reinforce that Parliament was its own entity and not under the control of the Empress.

On cue, Parcrya stepped forward to pound on the door three times. After a short wait, the door was opened lazily by the Sergeant at Arms.

As the Heralds began anew, staccato notes sounded as a one thousand plus foot Kyla stepped into the chamber, Sienna next to her.

Walking down the aisle, Kyla remained stoic as always as the many hundreds in the chamber, Mini, Halfling, and Colossi knelt in respect.

What she had wanted had come to pass, reflected Kyla. The peoples working together, no matter their size. All in one democratic Empire. All except the Specks, those people were part of her Empire as a territory, not wishing to be part of the government. Instead they, by the trillions, had sworn a personal oath of allegiance to the Empress they saw as their true protector.

Stepping up the dais, Kyla most carefully placed Dad and Mom in their high sky box, before turning to be seated herself, after Sienna had done so.

The pomp and pageantry of the opening of parliament continued in all its splendor. All quite nice, but what Kyla was most pleased about was the admission of a new people to the Empire.

The winged people, the Zenuaww as they called themselves had petitioned for membership in the Empire. Long ago they had called this planet home, exposed to the shrinking virus, they had almost been wiped out. A most beautiful people, humanoid in appearance, except for wings upon the back, the feathers of which were of different colors as to gender, and race.

As Kyla and Sienna looked on, the vote began, a formality really, the Zenuaww were going to be part of her Empire. On behalf of her Empire, Kyla had formally apologized for the horror unleashed on their people by contact with the old Earth Empire. Nearly wiped out of existence, the surviving Zenuaww were tiny now. Well, tiny compared to Colossi. From explorations, it appeared the universe was small compared to Colossi. Several planets had been discovered and charted, the peoples there all tiny. Eventually, contact would be made, but only if the shrinking virus was present on the planet. If it wasn’t a quarantine would be in effect. Kyla did not want her Empire to be responsible to unleashing the virus on any more people.

The motion for citizenship in the Empire passed, as all knew it would.

Kyla, Sienna and the whole of parliament stood. Cheers rolled though the chamber as Alep, leader of the Zenuaww gracefully landed in Kyla’s upturned palm and knelt before his new Empress.

**

“Report.” Commanded Kyla while pushing the tines of her fork through a piece of steak the size of one of the primitive Earth temples.

“Empress,” Baroun cleared his throat, he was unnerved every-time the Empress ate. “The population of Earth now stands at 200 million and expanding, food supplies are running in surplus, as is the animal and plant life. The people have discovered bronze as you know, now they are progressing to smelting harder metals.

“Good.” Kyla said simply, while taking a bite of salad.

“There have been wars fought for territory.”

“Oh they mustn’t fight!” Sienna spoke up.

“They have to find their own way, love.” Kyla responded. “They must be free to develop their society naturally.”

“I know, but they are so cute! I hate to see them hurting each other.”

“An appearance from their goddess, would halt the fighting.” Suggested Baroun.

Kyla put down her fork and looked at the Mini standing upon her table. Baroun had screwed up and badly, but he still had valuable talents. She had offered him this second chance in administering Earth and he’d gladly taken it.

The job he was doing was excellent.

“No…” she said firm. “I despise the goddess cult that has developed into a religion on Earth. No appearance by me, I want these people to… outgrow… that superstition."

“As you wish Empress.” Baroun looked to his data pad for a moment and continued. “Your…” He smiled. “Vacation cottage…”

Sienna laughed, their home was no cottage. Kyla had reached 1500 feet in height, the home was being continually expanded.

“Has been remodeled, and enlarged,” Baroun continued, a smile upon his face. “I think your gracious majesty will enjoy the lake sized pool the specks have designed.”

“A pool! Wonderful!” Sienna beamed.

“Is that it?” asked Kyla after finishing the last of her dinner.

“Oh,” Baroun continued “Almost forget the most important thing. “The planetary climate system is up and functioning, the specks tell me that destructive weather is a thing of the past. You have ability for you to modify rainfall, temperature, length of seasons, and such.

“Excellent! I think it would be beneficial to increase rainfall in Africa, so the peoples there can grow more crops.”

“As you wish Empress.”

“Terraform some river valleys in the Sahara, so the increase in rain won’t cause flooding.”

“It will be done.”

Kyla lifted a finger, to point directly at Baroun. “Put the humans to sleep so they don’t get scared by our technology.”

“Yes, Empress.”

She leaned back in her chair, thinking a moment. “You say the people are fighting?”

“Yes, Majesty.”

“On the eve of the next major battle, create a storm, a violent one, lots of thunder, lighting, some wind. I hope these people will take it as a sign that their…” Kyla looked to Sienna. “…goddess is displeased." she finished.

Baroun chuckled, “Of course, I will do as you command.”

With a gesture Kyla dismissed him as Sienna moved, sliding into her usual spot on Kyla’s lap.

Kyla reveled in the deep kiss Sienna gave her.

“So, that’s what it is like to kiss a goddess.”

A frown on dark lips.

“Oh, it’s not a dirty word my love, for all intents and purposes, you are a goddess. You control everything on this planet, remaking Earth into that Ancient Eden from myth.”

“I know, I had hoped not to need to interfere as much as I have.”

Sienna hugged her tight, you are doing wonderfully with the Earthers.” She rasped sexily into an ear. “Now how about you allow me to please you…goddess.”

Kyla was in no way going to pass that up.

But first…

“I have something for you…” Kyla reached into her pocket, pulling out a beautiful necklace with a gem pendant.

“Honey!” It’s beautiful!” gasped Sienna as Kyla deftly clasped the chain round her neck.

“Within that gem, another surprise can be found.”

“Oh? What?” asked Sienna.

**
Kyla stretched out upon the deck chair. “Being an Empress isn’t too bad.” She muttered. Not that she hadn’t earned a bit of relaxation after a long run this morning. She found it amusing that Baroun had ordered her jogging track to be extending all the way around the coastline of the former state of Australia. He was convinced that she would eventually get so big as to be able to run round an entire continent for her morning run.

And she was continuing to get bigger, there seemed no upper limit on her size. Would the universe itself eventually become too small for the Colossi?

Parcrya groaned.

“Getting soft Commander?” Chided Kyla.

“I’d have been alright on the run, if someone hadn’t egged me on to challenge you to race.”

From her position on Parcrya’s back, Amarice giggled as she applied tanning lotion on her wife.

Kyla turned her attentions to Sienna as her wife relaxed in the pool. The sparkling gem, the prison for Agathe was round her neck. Kyla planned it so as to be the worst punishment imaginable, Agathe could see the outside world, could see the life surrounding her, but she could never be part of it. Her self-contained world created by the specks had everything she needed, except freedom. Sealed in that gem she would just get smaller and smaller as everything round her grew.

“Your drink Empress…”

Blue eyes darted to the kid, all dolled up in house livery, presently placing her drink upon the side table by her chair.

“And you are?”

By all the ancient gods, thought Olaf, the Empress as absolutely beautiful. It was all he could manage not to stare. He knew the tiny peoples of Earth considered her a goddess and it was easy to see why. She was garbed in a two piece bikini of Royal Blue, a color only she was allowed to wear. Her skin was tanned, body unbelievably toned and quite muscular. Midnight black hair streaming over her shoulders and down her back. Oh her right shoulder a tattoo of a rising Phoenix, a symbol she had chosen to represent herself and be the standard of her Empire.

“Hmmmm?” Kyla pressed, when the kid didn't immediately answer.

“O-olaf, great Empress.”

“You are new.”

“The son of Mynia.” Amarice chirped.

“Ah, I see.” Said Kyla with a smile, an attempt to get the boy to relax. “I hear, you are to be assigned to the I.S.S. Vengeance next week.”

“Yes, great Empress, I am proud to serve on your flagship.”

“The Empire thanks you for your service. I know Mynia is proud of you.”

Kyla watched as Olaf smiled wide, he straightened up his chest puffing out a bit. He bowed and left her presence.

Sienna was rubbing off on her, mused Kyla, she was getting far better at delivering a good word at the right moment. That and knowing more about the people on her staff, and she had loads of staff to know. Earth was the plum assignment, people fought for that placement, but there was also the country house near the capital, the home on the mini world, and the one on Mars surrounded by the specks. Soon there would be another palace on the world of the Zenuaww.

“Getting soft my Empress?” Parcrya teased gently. “Speaking kindly to the new recruits?”

Kyla took a moment to adjust her sunglasses before casually turning her head to look at Parcrya. “I suppose I am, but after all, I have you to be tough on the greenhorns.”

“Oh don’t be mean C-rya!” Amarice stood, finished with the tanning oil. She always acted like it was a pain to do when Parcrya asked her to apply the oil to her back. Parcrya saw right though the act, knowing her Mini love never tired of exploring her giant body.

“Amarice, it’s not being mean, it is instilling discipline.”

Parcrya yelped playfully when Amarice lifted the string of her crimson bikini top, and allowed it to snap back in place.

“Why do we call this thing a bikini?” Asked the Mini.

“After the Bikini Islands,” answered Kyla after Parcrya shrugged. Settling back in her lounger, she watched as Parcrya gently took Amarice in hand and gave her a gentle kiss.

What love those two had for each other….

“Dietrich who is driving this big ship?”

“The computer is dear.” He replied while handing his wife her favorite drink, a Manhattan, as she lounged in a deck chair on their yacht the H.M.S. Leviathan. Dietrich knew full well Kyla was making fun when she announced the name of the ship. She’d even gone so far as to have a full christening and launch ceremony earlier.

“I really think it is doing a poor job.” Cathrin sat up watching as her gigantic Daughter loomed closer. “I had hoped we would not need to use the lifeboat on the maiden voyage.”

“Uh-oh!” Dieterich ran down the deck as best he could, attempting to get to the wheel house in time.

Sienna opened her eyes at feeling something bump into her.

“Mama you okay?” she gasped, seeing her mother sprawled out on the deck.

“I’m okay, Sienna, be better without your father's poor attempt at navigation. Luckily for us we bumped into something with considerable padding.”

Sienna blushed, the ship carrying her parents, had run into her left boob.

“Um,” she said embarrassed, “allow me to help a bit.”

They both had gotten better at not cowering down when either Sienna or Kyla reached for them. Still it was disconcerting to have a being so many times bigger casually demonstrate their dominance. In this case, that dominance, was demonstrated in how easily Sienna picked up the ship they were sailing in and turn it around.

“Bon Voyage.” Called Sienna, playfully as the bantam sized ship chugged off again, her Dad waving merrily from one of the bridge wings.

He looked forward again, feeling the ship slowing then coming to a full halt, despite the little propellers churning away. The reason being they were no match for the tip of Kyla’s index finger pressing against the bow. He hadn’t heard Kyla enter the pool, it was unnerving how stealthy someone that big could move.

He was under no illusion that the Leviathan could actually beat Kyla, but it would be fun to see how fast his ship could go.

“Let’s race!” Challenged Dietrich.

“Now hold on a moment…” Cathrin warned.

“You’re on Dad.” Kyla growled playfully.