- Text Size +

“Status?”

“Empress, we are cloaked, the speck ships have launched.”

Kyla tightly clasped her hands tight, one over the other; the waiting was the hardest part and it would be a long wait. Due to their scale, the speck ships would be descending though hundreds of miles of atmosphere to reach the surface.

“You are sure your readings are correct.”

Parcrya reflexively licked her lips as the Empress’ cold eyes locked with her own. She knew full well that Kyla considered her a friend as well as Amarice, but this was a military operation, not a social gathering. Failures of any type would not be tolerated.

“Yes Empress. I am sure visuals will back up our sensor data.

With a gesture, Kyla dismissed her commander. Gazing out the viewports on the bridge, she didn’t need much data, being able to see the terrible extent of the damage.

The beautiful blue ball, laced with white clouds was no more. The Earth, even from the distance of space was blackened and scorched. Whole land masses appeared to be wiped clean of all vegetation. The atmosphere had gone from clear to dull creamy beige.

This world was dead, or well into the process of dying…

Kyla looked to her wife, Sienna had said nothing, the shock of what was before her was too great. Scanning the bridge crew, she found many with the same expression. For those who had been sent away to exile, the memory of the Earth they had left seemed fresh, as if was yesterday. They hadn’t been around to witness this slow tide of destruction over the years.

“Gods…” Sienna rasped. “Is there anyone left?”

“A few scattered settlements among the ruins, extremely low evidence of functioning technology.” Parcrya replied. I speculate that the messages we received must have been sent hundreds of years ago. Perhaps at the height of some cataclysmic war that eventually led to the destruction of so many ecosystems that it permanently harmed the planet’s environment.”

Kyla put her arm over Sienna’s shoulders. “I thought being sent into exile was the worst punishment imaginable, now it appears to have been a blessing.”

“Visuals coming in now Empress,” called out an ashen looking Parcrya from her position behind the control panel.

“Well,” Kyla said impatient, “on the viewer then.”

The screen lit and what appeared caused all standing upon the bridge to gasp, as it continued muted sobs could be heard. Tears shed for the loss of the world they once knew.

Devastation the likes of which had never been seen.

Ancient and ghastly ruins filled with rubble and debris, showed evidence of how awful the fighting must have been. The few sheds of skyscrapers left standing had thousands of gaping holes were windows had been, the interiors overrun with vegetation. Infrastructure of every kind transit hubs, bridges, levitating rail and space ports, as well as individual homes, was all in an advanced state of decay. The creations of a civilized culture being overtaken as the planet tried to heal by returning to its natural state.

“Specks report trace amounts of chemical warfare agents, as well as low level radiation signatures from the old time fusion bombs. It appears water systems across the globe contain higher levels of both radiation and chemical agents than the atmosphere. Oceans are barren of all higher forms of life. Though single celled organisms appear to exist, higher order aquatic life appears to be concentrated in lakes and seas.”

“People,” whispered Sienna… “Are there any people left?”

“Population?” Asked Kyla.

“Readings continuing,” answered Parcrya, “At present, estimate 180 million.”

“42 billion was the population when we left.” Sienna was horrified at hearing this news.

“Billions killed off by war.”

“Or perhaps a famine afterward, caused by the destruction of so much farm land.”

“Where are these people?” Kyla left Sienna’s side to walk over to the computer terminal Parcrya was studying.

“Mostly along the equatorial line,” Parcrya answered, “They appear to be grouped in primitive pre industrial civilizations.”

“You mean, they—“

“Have devolved, possibly regressing backward to a hunter gatherer society as we can find very little evidence of organized crop production.”

“What of the shrinking virus?” asked Kyla.

“Specks report it is still present, same as it was over a thousand years ago.”

“I want to go down there.”

“Empress, it could prove dangerous. The radiation and atmospheric pollution--”

“Are well within tolerable levels, I’ve got to see for myself.”

Parcrya steeled herself for what she needed to say. “Empress, I would prefer not contradict you, by order, but I must insist that our soldiers be the first upon the surface.”

“I know you wish to go,” Sienna intervened before Kyla could argue. “But you are the
Empress and as such must not be placed in harm’s way. Wait until it is safe.”

“Very well…” Kyla conceded, not wishing to undermine Parcrya ability to command this ship.

Sienna exhaled in relief.

“But…” Kyla raised a hand, one finger pointing at Parcrya. “I would… advise… you send the Mini’s, they being small will go unnoticed by those on the surface should they use camouflage correctly. Ask for volunteers only.”

“Right, Empress.” Parcrya moved away to being issuing orders.

“I will go down there.” Kyla growled while looking down at Sienna.

“I know, when it is safe, we both will.” Sienna waited for Kyla to disagree on her going to the surface as well.

No disagreement was voiced. Her wife, reflected Sienna, was a very smart woman.
**

“Gone you say?”

“Yes, Prime Minister, the sensor image on the forest moon was a falsehood, albeit a convincing one. Had you not ordered us to personally investigate we would have never found the truth.

Baroun smiled while leaning back in his chair, sometimes instinct paid off.

“And the Vengeance? You say it is gone as well?”

“Yes Mr. Prime Minister,” his spy, Julian replied. “From records I obtained…” fumbling a moment, he then produced a data screen. “It appears select crew members were transferred, over many months those loyal to the Empress then placed onboard.

Baroun chuckled as he looked over the names and transfer dates on the data screen. Julian was quite efficient, even that long dead bastard Torquemada would have been impressed. This was just the evidence he needed, disobeying a direct order not to travel to Earth until Parliament had fully researched the issue. Add in the theft of a Star Destroyer, along with direct tampering with crew assignments.

It was enough to charge the Empress with… treason.

“I am so glad I delayed Parliamentary action on the question. I knew that huge bitch couldn’t resist returning to Earth.” Baroun casually tossed the data pad onto his desk. “I knew I could trap her with this ploy.”

“Julian, give this information to my contacts in the press.” Baroun ordered. “Tell them this is payment in full for not reporting on my various mistresses.”

“You got it Prime Minister.” Jullian picked up the data pad and, after gathering his things, moved to depart.

“Julian…” said Baroun

The young man turned to face him.

Slimy… thought Baroun, Just like Torquemada…

“Good work.”

A nod and Julian was gone.

Baroun was quite pleased. The scandal about to erupt would erode support for the Empress, and by extension the Colossi members of parliament. He could portray the minis and especially to specks as only following Kyla’s orders.

The mining bill would pass of course. But this development could have long term benefits. The Colossi position in the government would be weakened, members might have to disavow the Empress unlawful actions or face a potential loss of their seat in the next election.

Yet, reflected Baroun. This could work out so much better than hoped should he press and Kyla be sent to prison. He could call for new elections immediately, possibly get more Minis’ elected, might even get an outright majority

If he played his cards right, the results of this scandal might even allow him to open the Specks own world for mining and colonization… All by a very official vote in Parliament, of course.
**

“Kyla stop pacing!”

“Sorry…”

Her wife’s pout ensured that in no way could Sienna remain angry.

“It’s just; I’m all cooped up on this ship with nothing to do.”

“They must finish the survey work come, sit, and have some dinner. Parcrya will be along presently.”

“Not hungry.” The glare from her wife caused Kyla to sit down and let out a very exasperated huff.

“Don’t be in such a foul mood Kyla, you will have answers soon enough. In the meantime, you need to eat.” Sienna smiled. “After all you are a growing girl.”

“Hah!” Kyla snorted, but the humor in that statement did cause her to smile.
Sienna paused to take hold of the tureen, scooting it closer so that she might serve her wife.

“Now try to enjoy dinner, the crew put in such hard work to cook for you.”

Kyla’s brows knitted in confusion “They didn’t use the replication units?”

“Nothing is too good for our Empress.” Sienna moved to serve up a bit of soup, waving off the
Halfling servant standing at the ready. “Crème de Tomate.” She said with mocking hauteur.

“Cream of Tomatos,” I do like it, Kyla smiled, the last of her poor mood evaporating.
Flaring out her napkin, Kyla then took silver spoon in hand to dine. “Remind me to thank those who are cooking for us. Really we should be using the replication units same as the rest of the crew.

“Oh Kyla, everyone on board loves you, allow them to serve you.”

“Hmmm…” After a bite or two, Kyla was surprised to find that she was indeed hungry.

“Told you, yah needed to eat.” This time, Sienna did allow Mynia to come forward, with what she knew Kyla loved most Prime Sirloin and Ribs of Beef with Horseradish Cream. When the plate was set before her, Kyla’s face lit up in the most adorable way.

Mynia knew exactly, what veggie Kyla preferred, Globe Artichokes in Butter Sauce. Exactly the item Lady Sienna hated most.

“Ugh,” Sienna crinkled her nose. “I’ll never understand how you can stand those.” She remarked about the Artichokes while her own entrée of Grilled Chilean Sea Bass with Fried Egg Plant was placed upon the table most elegantly by Mynia.

“Maybe if you ate a few of these,” Kyla responded while pointing with her fork at the offending veggie on her place, “You’d grow a bit taller.”

“I’m just right; you’re the odd-ball being taller than everyone else.”

Kyla laughed.

The door to their stateroom chimed, instantly Kyla moved to stand.

“Sit!” barked Sienna.

A stunned Kyla sat back down.

“You need to eat Empress.” Sienna said quietly as Parcrya entered the dining room.

“Sit Commander. Have you eaten?” Even as Kyla asked the question she could clearly tell

something was wrong.

“I-I have not Majesty,” Parcrya moved to sit rather numbly.

Kyla didn’t press, allowing Parcrya to order her thoughts, before speaking. She busied herself by taking a bite of Sirloin. When Parcrya continued to remain silent, Kyla snapped her fingers as Mynia came near, she gestured for Parcrya to be served.

Robotically her commander began to eat.

“And where is Amarice?” asked Sienna by way of making conversation. Truthfully, Sienna was dying to know what was bothering Parcrya, but it was not her place to ask. Kyla would ask when the moment was right.

“She is in the sick bay.”

“Is something wrong?”

“No, no empress not at all, she is staying near those from the planet surface.”

“What?” Kyla put her silverware down. “I thought this was only a reconnaissance mission, when did it turn into a kidnapping?”

“Empress, I know how it seems, that perhaps I overstepped my bounds in transferring some of those on the Earth’s surface to our ship.” Parcrya prefaced. “In my defense, the scouting party was... well, seen by those on the surface. The conditions they found were so deplorable that on my own authority, I ordered the transfer.”

“What were the conditions?” Sienna gestured with her folk and Kyla took a bite.

“The people on the Earth’s surface are dying.”

Kyla leaned back in her chair. “The conditions they live in the cause then?”

“Yes.” Parcrya looked down at her hands. “The pollution levels are low, not any danger to us, but the lack of good food supplies, the tainted water, add in the poor living conditions, and well they are succumbing to diseases which we have all but irradiated.”

“I need to have a look myself Commander, need to see the situation on the planet surface with my own eyes.”

“Understood, but Empress, there is one more detail I must tell you...”
**
The shuttle carrying the Empress touched down most gently upon the surface, above fighters of the Emprie flew overhead in precise formations.

“We have returned home.” Sienna took hold of Kyla’s hand.

“Yes, how I wish it was under different circumstances.”

“Their ancestors chose their destiny my Empress, but we have the ability to set things right.”

The walkway lowered, and Kyla with Sienna by her side stepped off the craft to be met by Parcrya.

Her commander dutifully knelt…

“Rise.”

Parcrya did so.

“Report.”

We have established a no go zone around the village. I felt it best, if people our size kept out of sight until you arrived, Empress.

“Very well,” Kyla looked down at Sienna for a moment, “Let’s go.”

As the Empress stepped forward, she was, as always, an impressive sight. Crisp white Imperial tunic, black pants with gold Imperial stripe, boots polished so highly, the dull clouds above were reflected within them.

For quite a distance they walked, all of it in silence as they viewed the desolation. The land was a dull yellow, the skies and clouds shades of beige. No vegetation, all stripped clean.

“Here Empress, in this little valley.” Said Parcrya.

Rounding a turn, Kyla’s heart sank as she looked upon the village for the first time.

Absolute terror at their appearance, people darting this way and that. Even at her height, Kyla could hear the screams.

Placing hands on hips, she made no further movement forward. It was hard to believe that these tiny people were the descendants of Colossi.

“Kyla---“

“Give them a moment Sienna, let them first come to terms with what that are seeing. Then we will try to communicate.”

Parcrya raised a hand and pointed. “It is as I feared Empress.”

Kyla let out a sigh while dipping her head forward.

“They think we are Gods.” Sienna observed, watching hundreds move lie prostrate on the ground.

“Gods….” Muttered Kyla. “I'm sure they believe us to be Gigantic Gods come to destroy them.”

“Much as the specks once believed Empress.” Added Parcrya.

“Then like the Specks, they will learn otherwise.” Said Sienna firmly.