- Text Size +

“Empress you have had a long enough day, and I command you rest.”

Kyla leaned back in her chair, looking to Sienna with amusement. “Oh?” her tone rose, in false umbrage, “Since when do you command an Empress?”

“Since I became your wife.” Sienna retorted while pushing the leather chair back and proceeding to plop down in Kyla’s lap.

“Kyla, I don’t know how you do it.” Sienna threw her arms round her neck. “The gym, then a run this morning with little Amarice, meetings with the council, a speech to the various guild members, then an afternoon of scanning technical data which has now stretched into the evening.”

“I’m just going through the plans for these new star ships, these destroyers, by the gods Sienna, they are a fearful weapon. The warp drive can power these ships at a tremendous speed. Kyla reached out to tap her desktop, bringing up an image of one of the largest ships on the view screen.

Sienna’s eyes widened in awe, when looking at the number of zeros in the ships length, height, and width. “For such teeny people, the specks certainly design gigantic ships.”

“A secretly think they do have a fascination with size.” Kyla said soft.

“I suppose they would, due to their being so incredibly small.” Sienna hugged her wife tight, Kyla was working far too hard.

“Did you know, when completed, this ship can reach Earth in less than a week?”

“Great Gods!” Sienna cried. “The specks have advanced that far ahead of us?”

“Yes, we are very fortunate to have them as our ally.” Kyla said solemnly.

“When will they be completed?”

“At the pace the specks have set, under a year for this massive flagship, two years and I shall command an entire fleet of more than 200 ships.”

“You mustn’t drive our people so hard Kyla, I know that you worry about Earth, but…”

“Our people won’t be building these, the shipyards are automated, robots will be at work day and night.”

“Gods…” Sienna rasped they designed robots too. “But why the relative slowness in building this one ship and the speed of the others?”

“Size of the flagship, the others will be copycats, easer to produce.”

“Course the next question is, when they are completed, will we fit in them?” Sienna chuckled a bit at that.

“They can be scaled up, ships too small for us eventually piloted by the Halflings and Minis when the time comes.”

Sienna reached out and tapped the desk, causing the image to fade. “With that much power Kyla, there is potential for misuse.”

“Agreed,” Kyla slipped her arms round, Sienna waist. “We must be wary, but as of right now, it’s just drawings on a pad. There is still time to debate the consequences of having such a fleet.”

“True, but tell me this,” Sienna’s hand slipped under Kyla’s chin raising it so that their eyes could meet. “If you had this fleet tomorrow, would you attack Earth?”

“No.” Kyla said flatly. “I have decided, and the council agrees, that we should not be the aggressor. “Let them come to us, perhaps in a thousand years, they have… evolved.”

“Let us hope.”

Kyla moved to slide Sienna off her lap, and stand when her wife halted her.

“There is something else, Empress.”

“Yes?” Kyla said guardedly noting the way Sienna made use of her title.

“Young Amarice has found a suitor.”

“What?!” Kyla barked, “She is too young!”

“Empress, though Amarice is an innocent, she is in her twenties, high time she began pursuing relationships.”

“She has not told me anything. We go for a run every morning.”

Kyla, sometimes you forget what a terrifying persona you have, the girl was… scared… to tell you, fearful of your reaction. With cause, I might add.”

As Sienna spoke, she watched a deep scowl form on her wife’s lips, but continued undaunted. “You and I know full well, that as head of our great household, you have final say in who may be suitor to any of the servants under your roof. I only ask that you have a fair mind about the person who wishes relations with Amarice.”

“Who is it?” Kyla said curt. “Some Mini?”

“You will soon see Empress, the suitor is waiting to see you.”

“You don’t say…” Kyla quirked an eyebrow, then waiting for Sienna to stand before rising up to her full height of 11 feet. Having given a speech to the guild today, she was wearing her dress tunic of white, on which were the many awards she had earned by service. As Sienna went to fetch her white cape from the stand, Kyla took a moment to brush her hands over her tunic as well as her black form fitting pants. Bending over, she adjusted the strap on one of her knee high black boots for a moment before rising back up to her full height.

“Bend down you big lummox, I swear you get taller every day.” Sienna complained.

“I do get a little taller every day.” Snarked Kyla while leaning over, “So do you. And… the process of growth is speeding up for all of us.”

Sienna clasped the gold chain around her wife’s neck. “Now be sweet, Kyla.” She admonished. “Amarice’s poor suitor is nervous enough.

“Maybe I should get the holster with my blaster and put that on?”

“Don’t you dare!” Sienna said while straitening Kyla’s cape, before taking a step back to stand behind the Empress and just to her right.

All was ready.

Kyla touched a command on the desktop and moments later, the door to the chamber opened.

“Parcyra!” said Kyla in a whisper while looking back at her wife. “My Chief of Military Operations?”

Sienna, as usual in these situations, chose to smile serenely up at her.

“Empress.” Parcyra knelt, lowering her head until her brow touched her upraised knee.

“Walk with me.” Kyla rounded the desk as Parcyra rose to her feet.

“Empress, might I join you?”

“No.” Kyla glanced back to see a frown appear on Sienna’s lips. The tongue lashing she’d get later would be one for the ages, but being an Empress did have its perks.

**

“So, you wish to date Amarice?”

“If…if…if, you please great Empress.”

“Parcyra relax.” Kyla commanded, satisfied to see the woman do so.

“Tell me, how did this come about?”

“Empress, we met shortly after her transport landed. As you recall, it was heavily damaged after crossing into an asteroid field.”

“Yes…” Kyla stopped to look at one of the many roses along this path in the gardens. It was covered in large blooms, it, like everything else planted in this rich soil thrived.

“I worked my way into the ship, squirming forward, when space became too limited. Hearing cries for help, I used my hand to force one of the tiny blast doors open--”

“You always are willing to brave any danger, I do like that about you.”

“Thank you Empress,” Parcyra dipped her head.

“Continue.”

“On the other side, trapped within her stasis unit was a terrified Amarice, a crowd of Minis were trying vainly to lift debris off the lid. I, having the advantage of size, was able to easily clear the debris and tear off the lid, thus freeing her.”

“And that is the moment where love began.”

“Yes Empress, for the both of us.”

“I see… she knows your faults by now? You’ve been honest with her?”

“Yes Empress, she knows my faults and tolerates them.”

“My wife does as well.”

Parcyra smiled at that admission by the Empress.

“Are you ready for such a relationship?” Kyla asked direct. “Parcyra, it is not one between equals like Sienna and I, you must take care over one so small as Amarice.”

“I understand Empress.” Parcyra straitened. “I promise upon my life to care for her.”

“What if she decides you aren’t worthy of her love? What then?” Kyla pressed.

“I will be hurt terribly, but shall abide by her decision.”

“Wise.” Kyla said soft. “Love cannot be forced, when it is, it morphs into a battle for control, and in such a battle you will always win Parcyra, being that you are far larger and stronger. But, you will also lose, as once trust is destroyed between you and Amarice, it will never return.”

“I would not hurt her!”

“I am very glad to hear that.” Kyla leaned over, pleased to see the fear ignite within Parcyra’s eyes. “If you hurt her, I will hurt you.”

To her credit, Parcrya stood her ground, and despite obvious fear, and stared right back, being sure to meet Kyla’s stern gaze. In that moment, Kyla could see what Amarice saw in Parcrya, the woman was most beautiful. Long auburn hair, with light green eyes, a strong build, broad shoulders, angular facial features. Moreover, Kyla knew Parcrya had a strong will but was a softie on the inside.

“Have you given thought to the criticism you will face? A colossi dating a Mini? Our peoples are learning to live together, but having a public relationship is quite another. People are bound to talk Parcrya, other than myself, you are the single highest ranking officer in our military.”

“People will always talk, I care little what they say about me, but should they slander Amarice, they will feel my fist.”

“Well said.” Kyla straitened, continuing her walk down the path.

“I give permission for you to court her.” Kyla raised a hand, one finger pointing directly at Parcrya in warning. “Don’t disappoint me.”

“I may disappoint you on many things Empress, but not this, never this. I love Amarice with all my heart.”

“You will both dine with us tomorrow, until then, dismissed.”

Parcrya swallowed hard, looking on as the Empress walked away.

**
“I do not understand.” Said Amarice from her perch on Parcrya’s shoulder.“C-rya” Intoned Amarice. Why do they dive for the ball like that?”

“Because the other team has… fumbled… Amarice.”

“Fumbled.” The Mini repeated with some confusion.

“Don’t fret Amarice, I don’t get all the rules either.” Said Sienna while crossing her legs femininely, she looked to her wife “Why don’t you just make yourself comfortable Kyla?”

Kyla noted the playful sarcasm in Sienna’s tone. “I think I will, thanks.” She smiled while stretching out prone on the leather couch.

“So they get four tries to go ten…yards… and then if they do, the get to keep advancing down the field?” Asked Amarice while leaning against Parcrya’s neck.

“Yes, if they get to the end zone they score 6 points.”

“Then a field goal.”

“Or a 2 point conversion if they wish.”

“So many rules to this Speck game.” lamented Amarice. “What’s that?” the mini pointed. "The yellow things being thrown.”

“A penalty.” Replied Parcrya.

“Those Specks, I like how they go all out in everything.” Kyla praised, not taking her eyes from the screen.

“You, know when you see them like this, it’s difficult to remember who small they are.” Sienna took a drink of the glass of water next to her. "Kyla jingled the ice cubes in the empty glass next to her.

"You have feet, get up and refill that whiskey glass." Sienna huffed. "Mind you not too much."

With an exaggerated groan, Kyla stood to walk to the side table. The one which long ago the specks world sat upon.

“Yes, the whole stadium, filled as it is would fit in my hand.” Parcrya observed.

"Down in front!" barked Sienna. Kyla laughed while returning to the couch.

“But you would protect them, right Crya? No matter how small they are?” asked Amarice.
“Absolutely, they are people like you and me, and as such have worth no matter what their size may be.”

Kyla reflected that not so long ago, she certainly would not have made such a statement… Well… maybe it was long ago, considering how long she’d been in stasis.

A palm rose up Amarice knew what that meant and immediately hopped on.

“May I?” asked Parcrya.

“Of course.” Sienna smiled. “Least you don’t hog a whole couch like my wife.”

Kyla only grunted in reply.

With a sigh, the Chief of Military ops. Kicked off her boots and stretched out on the couch she an Amarice were on. Gently she placed the little Mini on one knee so she could better see the view screen.

“Can nothing be done to halt their getting smaller?” asked Sienna referring to the specks on the view screen.

“It’s not that they are getting smaller, it’s that we keep getting larger. Our best minds are baffled as to the exact reason we are growing, let alone why they aren’t. The make-up of both our worlds is much the same.”

They are living longer.” Parcrya added trying to be optimistic.

“Maybe they will grow here? Sienna asked hopefully.

Kyla crossed her long legs at the ankles, “They wish to remain on their moon for now, little things are quite territorial” She looked back at Sienna. “Give them time to think about it.

“They don’t have time, Kyla.” Sienna pointed to the view screen. “How long before that whole stadium fits on the pad of one of my fingers?”

“I understand, love.” Kyla placated. “But we also must respect their wishes as a people. At least they have been agreeable to send test subjects to our world.”

“We shall have them here as guests…” Sienna said firm. “I hate to have them back in a cage again.”

“And that is the reason why they trust you Sienna.” Kyla replied.

“Why does that man in stripes hold his hands together over his head?”

“The other team got a safety.” Parcrya extended a finger, using her fingernail to gently scratch Amarice's back.

“So many rules!” Amarice shook her head.

“Oh you two are just adorable!” cried Sienna.

Both Parcrya and Amarice blushed a deep red.

Kyla erupted in laughter.
**
“Remember when we were dating?”

“Of course.” Kyla replied while taking her wife’s small hand in her own. It was only a thousand or more years ago.”

Sienna laughed. “My father was so scared of you.”

“Was he?” Kyla had never heard that tid-bit. “Never acted like it.”

“He was. Honey, you are really big, you had to crouch down when inside our house.”

“Oh, yeah, forgot that.”

“But you always respected his wishes, he liked that about you. Always yes sir, no sir…” Sienna chuckled.

“Your father was a great man, he took a chance on me when many wouldn’t. My respect for him and your mother was sincere.”

“He loved it when you called him sir.”

“I was in the military that yes sir, no sir came as natural to me as breathing and, as I said, he deserved it.”

“Now you are an Empress, quite a rise in station.” Lauded Sienna.

Kyla stopped their walk in the garden, to look up at the one of the Moons shining bright. Even from this distance she could still see the glittering lights of the Speck sized cities. Amazing really, the scale of those cities had to be vast for her to see them.

“I had nowhere to go but up, Sienna. I’m glad the Imperial Military took me, or I’d have stayed on the streets or found my way into prison.”

Sienna tugged at her arm and the two began walking again. “You had it hard Empress, abandoned by your parents, raised in an orphanage….”

“Yeah, toughened me up for sure.” Kyla chuckled.

“I think it’s time for a little tenderness.”

“What’d yah have in mind?” Kyla wiggled her brows suggestively.

“C’mon… you’ll see.”

**
“Are you sure Amarice? I mean we don’t have to rush--”

“I’m sure.” The Mini replied. “Though, I think we shall need to go to your place as you won’t fit in mine.”

Parcrya blushed while looking down at her boots. “I’m a bit big, I know…”

“You are the perfect size in my eyes Crya… my beautiful, strong Crya…”

“Love you…” Parcrya said soft.

“I love you.” Amarice replied in kind