- Text Size +

The mother and daughter Kangaroos still sat at the table, one because she never moved quickly after a meal – to let the food settle first – and the other because she was getting concerned for her absent little friend. Blossom sat at the dining table, tapping her fingers subconsciously as she watched the kitchen door for signs of life. “Gosh… they’ve been in there for ages…” Blossom spoke up, a small, mischievous smile crept onto her mother’s face as she sat still with her eyes closed. “ Maybe she went ahead and ate the little guy…” Mrs Rooth teased “I’m sure he tastes wonderful…” Blossom’s eyes widened and she quickly stood from her chair.

Suddenly, the door to the kitchen opened and through it walked Blossom’s sibling with the family pet perched atop her head. A nibbled-on strawberry rested between Julian’s legs while he held onto a few strands of Kim’s hair in each hand – as if he were riding a horse. The Neera gently tugged on the Neko’s hair and she came to a halt in the doorway. “Aww!” Blossom cooed, “if you were in a little cowboy outfit I’d gobble you up so fast that-” Blossom’s comment came to a sharp stop as she saw the horror on her little man’s face. “N- No – don’t be scared! My snuggly little guy shouldn’t be afraid” Blossom spoke soothingly. Julian gulped. “What I meant to say was, if you were in a cute little cowboy outfit, I’d cuddle you and kiss you and you could ride on my head too” she informed, blushing slightly.

“Right… Well you’d have to get him offa me first!” Kim giggled. “The little cutie was all upset when I was scraping the leftovers. I had to get him a strawberry for seconds to fill him up. Have you eaten it all yet, honey?” Kim inquired.

“Nope. I’m sorry but I can’t eat any more. I’m full, but I don’t want to waste it…” Julian blushed as an idea came to mind. “I want you to have it” Julian informed.

Blossom smiled at her little friends offer. “Aww! Thanks hon” Blossom reached for the strawberry.

“No!” Julian squeaked. Blossom quickly retracted her hand, she thought she’d scared Julian and didn’t want to make it worse. “I- I… I want to share this strawberry with Mrs Rooth…” The kangaroo mother’s eyes shot open. She looked up to the top of her feline daughter’s head where the little Neera sat. “You want to share it with me?” Mrs Rooth asked, smiling warmly as she stood from her chair. She stood three inches taller than her eldest daughter.

“Y- Yes… To my people, feeding food to another is… very… affectionate. I want you to know… that…” Julian blushed heavily making Mrs Rooth’s cheeks glow as well.

“Go on…” she bade.

“I want you to know that… I really appreciate how long you have protected me and gave me enough to survive… And – And I want you to know that I’m in your debt and that I’ll make it up to you. A- And…”

“Stop stammering… It’s okay. How about you feed me that strawberry and we call it quits? Hm?” Mrs Rooth proposed.

Julian quickly shook his head “No! No it’s not the same! I owe you more than that” he informed.

“Honey” Mrs Rooth began. “I don’t want you to repay me. It’s fine, you were hungry and we have more than enough. It was the right thing to do” Mrs Rooth smiled.

“No, I’m going to make it up to you any way I can” Julian said stubbornly. “Until I feel that you are repaid”

Mrs Rooth sighed. “Fine” she replied.

“C- Could I… just have another bite please? Before I feed you?” Julian inquired.

Mrs Rooth tutted. “You’re just a bottomless pit you are, aren’t you?” She and her girls giggled. The sisters were progressively getting more jealous of how Julian was treating their mother. Julian’s little eyes widened as he thought he had done something wrong. “Y- You’re right. I shouldn’t have said that! I’m sorry, please, have it” Julian offered up the strawberry but Mrs Rooth giggled. “I was just kidding…”

“No, eat. I was… I was being selfish” Julian replied.

“You’re hungry, so eat. Have some more”

“No! I’m not going to!”

“Well I’m not going to eat that strawberry!” Mrs Rooth arched her brow, ready and waiting for Julian’s next response. Julian tried to think of something else to say which would get her to eat the strawberry. “W- Well… I’m not going to eat anything at all until I have fulfilled my promise” Julian put down the berry and turned up his nose. He crossed his arms. Mrs Rooth stood completely still for a moment. She opened her mouth to respond but was cut off by Julian. “I will starve myself if I have to…” Julian threatened.

“Fine!” Mrs Rooth cracked “I’ll eat the dang berry, but after that we’re even and…”

“Nope!” Julian interrupted her again. “After that, I’m going to give you a back massage” Julian informed, “and there’s no way of getting out of it!” He informed, crossing his arms defiantly. Mrs Rooth simply smiled, “Fine, but you have to give both of my daughters a back massage too so they don’t get jealous…”