- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Some back story to try and provide Lew some character

The Boss

Walking in front of me, she leads me to the office doors from whence the incensed young lady had emerged and opens the one on the right, letting me pass before following and allowing the door to close behind her. As a corner office, two of the walls are lined with windows and offer a wonderful panoramic view of the city skyline. Impressive.

Bringing her delicate hands together, “Miss Manse, this is Mr. Llewelyn Maplethorpe, our newest intern,” she introduced, smiling back at me.

The woman behind the desk is stunning, a more mature looking version of the disgruntled girl who had stormed out earlier. I can feel my tongue knotting itself. Smiling, she rises to her feet and suddenly I feel like a mouse in the crosshairs of a hawk. Funny right, that I should feel almost small in her presence, I mean hell  I’m 6’3” and still carry most of the muscle from my playing days, but this woman emanates a presence of command and authority. She’s shorter than me but not by much, professionally attired in an expensive looking silk suit, hair pulled back, eyes keen and penetrating as she extends a hand, several gold rings on her fingers. “Lew is it?” she asked warmly.

Not trusting my voice to make some unintelligible noise, I merely nod and move forward, putting my hand in hers, surprised by the strength in her grip, “Miss Manse,” I babble.

Looking at the woman who had delivered me to the office, “Thank you Noreen,” she stated, releasing my hand and inviting me to sit as she herself returned to sitting in the huge chair behind her desk. “I’m sorry you had to see that,” she apologized, undoubtedly referring to the scene with the raven haired girl.

Smiling, I shrugged, “No, it’s okay,” I offered, no point making an issue of it. Just let it go.

She shook her head and chuckled, “My daughter, willful creature that she is, just arrived in the city a few hours ago and she is already vexing me,” she clarified, placing her palms down on the surface of the broad antique looking desk.

“Children, right, I mean what can you do?” I responded with a shrug. “The sense of entitlement and deliberate provocation to test your patience, right? Yeah, I hear you.” Where did that come from? I don’t know. Why am I talking? Shut up and just let it go I reminded myself. Fortunately for me and my verbal diarrhea, she switched the topic.

“So if I understand the purpose of your time here with us, it’s to focus primarily on financial analysis of our business enterprises right?” she inquired.

I grin and nod. “My principle aim was to enhance my understanding of business management in its totality, including financial analysis, human resources, and logistical implementation of policy,” I replied, basically translated as, ‘What I really want to learn is how do I get a six figure salary?’

Leaning back in her chair, Miss Manse tented her hands in front of herself, a pensive look on her flawless face, “Hmm,” she noised.

I still didn’t have a clue what they did here. “I’m very grateful for the opportunity to come into your office and gain the benefit of your company’s business pursuits,” I said appreciatively, no time like the present to start kissing some highly placed and influential hiney.

She chuckled, “Don’t thank me yet,” she stated, same verdant eyes as her daughters sparkling with mischief and, though hers with an intensity that forces you to look away.

“I am ready willing and able,” I assured, infusing my response with an appropriate degree of gusto.

“Noreen will get you started and I think for today I’ll pair you with Bill Bale, one of my bean counters,” she stated, approving of the notion and nodding to herself. Picking up the receiver of the desk phone, she stabbed a couple of numbers and summoned the woman identified earlier as Noreen before rising back to her feet.

Pushing myself up to match, I reach a hand across the broad expanse of the desktop, “Thank you again madam, I hope to give as much as I get during my stay here,” I offered.

Laughing, she clasped my hand again in hers and shook it, “If you have any issues or questions, Noreen will be there to assist you,” she advised, surrendering my hand back to me. Though her grip was firm, it wasn’t one of those crushing grips some guys use to try and demonstrate their position in the hierarchy. Miss Manse didn’t need to she knew she was the boss, though I got the very distinct sense that if she wanted to she could probably have easily pulverized the bones in my hand.

Noreen led me to a small office on the same floor, equipped with a computer and already prepared for my arrival. Following her, what was she wearing for a fragrance? Sweet and subtle. Very nice.

In my little office, she gave me a ‘Welcome to Nefariori’ orientation letting me know who was who and in what office, the hours of business, though she said Miss Manse was a fiend for work and was often in the office long after everyone else had finished for the day. Figured I would tuck that little feather of information away in my proverbial hat.

While I listened to what she said, I’m pretty sure I mostly just gawked at her. Obvious substantial breasts kept the buttons of her blouse tight, and I did my best to keep my eyes up. I suppose looking the way she did, she was accustomed to morons like me making goofy faces at her as they fought the natural impulse to drool. Either way, she was very helpful.

The only hiccup I had was trying to access the Nefariori drives on the computer they had supplied. Noreen helped me with that.

Circling around the desk, she stood beside me, her hip pressing firmly against my shoulder as she leaned over my keyboard and logged me into the company intranet. Feeling the warmth of her body and the lithe muscles of her thigh through the fabric of her skirt as she shifted her weight, I thought I was going to bust in my pants. Part of me thinks she did it on purpose while the other part didn’t really care.

I spent most of the balance of my first day in the shadow of the man Miss Manse referred to as one of her bean counters, who in truth turned out to be Nefariori’s CFO, William Bale. Mr. Bale was an aging man with thinning white hair, keen bright eyes. He was gracious and patient, taking the time to answer my questions which I’m sure quickly revealed the depths of my ignorance and he more than likely found insipid and asinine.

By the end of the day I was feeling a little overwhelmed and thought my head might explode as I struggled to process, catalog, and store the wealth of information avalanched over me on day one.

I purposefully stayed an extra three quarters of an hour, organizing my miniscule office, not because it really needed it, I just didn’t want to come across as the guy who couldn’t wait to get out of the office. Plus, I thought it would put me in good stead with the powers that be, namely Miss Manse.

Getting ready to leave for the night, something occurred to me. My office didn’t have a lock on the door. Weird. I wondered why that was, especially given the clandestine nature of the Nefariori’s business operations, which I still haven’t figured out. Crazy right?

Turning off the light in my closet sized office, I meandered toward the elevators, pleasantly surprised to see Noreen still there. Noreen. I pretty much knew I would be rubbing one out later tonight and it was good to put a name to the face that was going to inhabit the fantasy, just kind of made it more personal.

Whether she sensed my rapturous gaze on her or heard me, she looked up and smiled, “Mr. Maplethorpe, I am surprised to see you are still here, how was your first day?” she inquired, bright expression on her astoundingly gorgeous face.

Trying to give her my most charming smile, “Please, call me Lew,” I offered. “Day one was certainly informative, so much to learn,” I admitted. “This might sound a little off, but there isn’t a lock on my office,” I added, turning my head back from whence I’d come.

Nodding, “First days are always the most difficult, I’m sure things will only get easier from here on out,” she assured. “As for locks, Miss Manse is a firm believer in trust and doesn’t like locks, she expects all her employees to respect the privacy and property of others.”

Weird, but okay I guess. What I really wanted was to ask her out but under her eyes my courage fled and I nodded and gave her a small wave before walking over toward the elevators. I’m such a loser.

“Is that Lew? Is he still here?” came the voice of Miss Manse from within her office.

I stopped and turned back, “Yes ma’am,” I replied, walking to her office.

  

 

Chapter End Notes:

Lew is getting more than he bargained for by brown nosing