- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I didn’t forget, I promise! But I may or may not have been a little too absorbed in dressing up last night, so now that I’m sober once again, here is the Hallow’s Eve chapter! :D

In other news, I have plans for Christmas, to shower you with literary gifts! Hopefully I can get them all done, and do a “12-days-of-Christmas” type of thing. Knowing me, you’ll be lucky to get five. :P

********


Hamburg, All Hallow’s Eve, 1620 A.D.

~~~~

The air was crisp and cool, a full moon casting a pale glow across the cobblestone streets as revelers huddled together between rows of houses. Yellow and orange beams of light danced along the brick and wood walls, remnants of the myriad of torches and candles littered throughout the crowd. In the center of the gathering, a large wooden platform stood shoulder height to the average man. The sides were rounded, save for a small plank that jutted out a few meters into the crowd.

The babbling of voices calmed to a murmur as an elderly man climbed onto the platform, assisted by two men clad in red robes. The old man tread slowly across the rickety boards, leaning against a makeshift podium at the end of the short catwalk. Dressed in the linens of the Church, he proceeded to remove a thick leather book from under his arm, and slammed it heavily on the podium. The wrinkled spine crackled as the cover was folded back, exposing lines of Latin manuscripts to the brisk night atmosphere. The man traced a frail fingertip along the page, searching for an elusive verse, before pausing and looking up towards the crowd.

“Tonight, we gather to celebrate the souls of those who came before us.” The voice of the old man betrayed his character, feeble yet firm. “We remember tonight, on this Hallowed Eve, the saints and bearers of the name of our Lord.”

The crowd mumbled in agreement, the noise dotted with a few cheers from the outskirts of the congregation. The old man motioned for silence with his palm, and continued to read, switching from his native tongue to that of Latin. Reciting some verses, and reading others, he rambled on for nearly an hour, until the moon hovered directly overhead.

“And now, dear friends,” he concluded, “there have been rumors that some of those among you have perverted the light of the Lord, giving into the evils of witchcraft.” Jeers and shouts erupted from the crowd, drowning out the words of the old man. After several moments, he was finally able to shout above the angered voices.

“Tonight, we celebrate this blessed eve with not only song and dance, but with the cleansing of the vile filth among us.” The man stepped aside, gesturing with his bony arm towards the platform behind him. A pair of burly men clambered onto the wooden deck, and hoisted a hooded figure up with them. The muffled scream from under the thick cloth was feminine, clearly frightened from being manhandled. As one of the men clamped his thick hands on the hooded woman’s shoulders, the other lifted a thick wooden pole into the air, dropping it into a gap between the boards with a deafening thud. A cheer rose from the crowd as the familiar scene of a pyre being erected unfolded before them.

Unable to see, the woman seemed to sense what was going on. The shrieks rose in pitch, and her legs kicked wildly as she struggled to break free from the unyielding grip of the man holding her. Her first understandable shout of “no!” rang out as the men thrust her against the wooden pole, quickly binding her at the waist with a thick cord pulled tight. The woman cried out in pain, her hands tugging at the rope as it sank further into her hips. Another wrap of rope around her arms bound them to her sides, followed by a final loop pulled snug around her neck. Her screams were hardly quieted, though the shouts and boos from the crowd were beginning to drown her out.

The old man hobbled across the platform, and wrenched the hood from the bound woman, revealing her face to the mob. Her eyes were puffy and red, streaks of tears lined her cheeks as she thrashed against her restraints. A full mane of jet black hair tumbled down past her shoulders, and her hands opened and clenched at her sides, too restricted for her move her wrists above her hips.

“This, thing!” The man hollered over the crowd, “has been found guilty of using witchcraft!” Shouts of damnation and profanities hurled through the air, the collective hatred of the town focused on the woman strapped to the platform.

For months, townsfolk had disappeared one by one. Some were never heard from again, seemingly vanished into thin air. Others were found weeks later in the woods, their mangled bodies strewn about

Rumors of a witch had circulated for months, but only now did they have a face to put with the monstrosity. Whether or not this woman was truly a witch was of no consequence, as the mob had already worked themselves up into a frenzy.

As the two men began to pile bundles of branches around the woman’s feet, the shouting and jeering intensified, becoming tangible with a few stones hurled at the woman. She yelped in pain as a sharp pebble whizzed by and nicked her cheek, a thin line of blood forming across her delicate skin. One of the men turned and growled at the crowd, a stone bouncing off his gruff shoulder, before tossing one last bundle of wood the woman’s feet. The two hopped down into the crowd, then turned to face the damned creature bound to the pyre.

Among the throngs of shouting townsfolk, a young girl stood clutching a thin blanket around her shoulders. Her hair was as dark as the night, and framed her narrow cheekbones in such a quite menacing and cold fashion. The girl’s lips formed into a thin smile as a pillar of smoke began to rise from the platform, followed by a howling scream of pain that cut through the shouts of the crowd. Turning away into a darkened alley, the girl tossed her makeshift cloak aside, and skipped across the cobblestone ground. Once again, the town had failed to apprehend the true witch, never suspecting a nine year old girl could be the source of the atrocities.

Keeping her upbeat tempo of movement, the girl scampered along the outskirts of Hamburg, until she reached a row of barns. Glancing around to make sure no one was present, the girl leapt into the air, her tattered shoes landing softly on the thatch roof. The girl kicked at the dense straw for a moment, until she found the familiar gap in the beams and shimmied down into the barn. She landed with a dull thud into a pile of hay, the dried blades of grass mushrooming out from the impact.

As the girl laid there, gazing up at the small patch of stars visible from her entrance, she felt a slight tickle against her toe. Her foot shook back and forth, but the tickling continued, slowly becoming more noticeable with every shake. Suddenly, it dawned on the girl, and she bolted upright, and reached for her shoe.

The frayed leather footwear slid easily from her foot, exposing her sole to the cool night air. The girl tipped the shoe upside down over her hand, and gently shook it. After three tries, her prize finally fell out into her waiting palm. A minuscule man, no taller than her thumb’s length, landed roughly and sprawled out across the pale hand.

“You’re supposed to be dead, you know,” the girl whispered to the tiny figure in her palm. “Quite a shame for you, really, as I am a bit bored now that the preacher is through burning another ‘witch’”. She rolled her eyes at the word, knowing full well they had executed the wrong person yet again. The small form in her hand cowered into a ball, and the girl could hear a faint crying sound.

“I’ll give you something to cry about if you don’t shut up!” She hissed, clenching her hand into a fist around the poor creature. A terrified yelp was quickly silenced as the figure was smashed between the girl’s bony fingers, and a few muted cracks brought a cruel smile back to her face. Opening her hand, she looked at the now broken man, and her smile widened. Without another word, she lifted her hand above her head, and her lips parted. Her mouth stretched wide open as she tilted her hand back, the steep angle slowly dumping the bruised tiny into her gaping maw.

The man screamed as he plummeted into the pitch darkness below, yelping as he collided with something soft and wet. The trickle of moonlight above him was quickly sealed off as the girl closed her mouth, sealing his fate. As the darkness settled about him, the heat began to instantly rise around him, the air growing thick and humid with each passing second. Then, the moist cavern became alive.

The girl leaned her head back down, and swished the tiny figure around in her mouth. He tasted salty, and a bit dry, something her saliva would soon compensate for as she toyed with him. She mashed him against her cheek with her tongue, giggling at the squirming sensation along her taste buds as he struggled to escape. Finally, she grew bored, and tilted her head back and swallowed. A short scream of terror escaped her lips, before her esophagus closed and sent the man down to his final resting place, her belly.

The girl patted her stomach, which replied with a content gurgle as it began to process its latest occupant. She laid back in the bundle of hay, barely registering the faint struggles within her abdomen as her tiny snack tried to survive. Within a few minutes, the struggles had faded, and the girl rolled onto her side, closing her eyes to sleep.

********

Twelve Hours Earlier...

“Seven months of practice has finally paid off,” Sabrina muttered to herself as she opened the cottage door. A few muffled cries escaped the sack thrown over her shoulder as she skipped inside and dumped the contents into a black pot in the center of the room. Sabrina sat down and peered into the large cauldron before her. Inside the otherwise empty metal pot were four miniature humans, two men and two women, each about as long as her foot. She hovered over the four, and licked her lips in anticipation.

“Which one of you should I play with first,” she mused, poking the tiny people with her slender finger. Finally, she decided on one of the young men, and snatched him up in her fist.

The tiny man yelped in fear as he was hoisted into the sky, the vast room surrounding him filling him with both awe and terror. Dozens of candles were littered around the small wooden shack, about a third of which still had a tender flame on their wicks. Skulls from previous rituals were stacked under the solitary window, which allowed the midday sunlight into the dusty cottage.

“It’s been a long day, and my feet are sore. Be a good little serf and rub them for me, would you?” Sabrina bent down and removed the tattered shoe from her foot, and quickly tossed the shrunken man inside. Before he could stand, Sabrina’s monstrous sole slipped in above him, settling down and wedging him firmly between the young girl’s doughy arch and the thin leather insole. The stench was unbearable, the tiny man’s nostrils filled with the thick air of sweat and grime from the past several days, or however long this girl had gone without bathing.

Sabrina giggled as she slipped her foot back into the worn shoe, the tickling of her new insole causing her to scrunch her toes in response. The remaining tinies in the cauldron huddled together, the child’s voice echoing in the metal pot and filling their ears. A shadow fell over the mouth of the cauldron, and the tinies shrieked in unison as Sabrina’s hand fell from the sky, scooping up one of the girls.

The tiny blonde curled up into a ball as Sabrina lifted her up in front of her face, her raven hair drifting across the young girl’s cheeks. Sabrina stuck out her tongue and lapped up across the woman in her hand, smearing her in sticky warm saliva.

“Yech! You taste really bitter,” Sabrina wrinkled her nose and stuck out her tongue in disgust. “Guess I’m not eating you... what to do then...” She paced back and forth, her sadistic little mind conjuring up ways to torment her latest captives. A thought sparked within her brain, and Sabrina’s eyes lit up as she shuffled over to one of the dusty bookshelves in the corner of the room. With her free hand, she grabbed a spell book from the top shelf, a fine layer of dust wafting from the hide cover as she hoisted onto the short table beside the cauldron.

Sabrina dumped the girl down next to the tome, and flipped open the book. The blonde screamed and flinched as the massive cover slammed down inches from her, sending a cloud of dust swirling around her. Coughing and waving her hand in front of her face, the girl watched as Sabrina hastily flipped through the pages, the air filled with the crackle of dried parchment.

“Aha! Let’s try this little spell, shall we?” Sabrina exclaimed as she bolted up from the tome. Closing her eyes and holding one hand over the open page, she began to mutter incoherently, slowly raising her other hand to face the tiny on the table. Her palm was outstretched and trembling as Sabrina squinted her eyes tighter, focusing on the words whizzing about in her mind.

Now was her chance, the tiny woman thought. Without a moment to second guess herself, she sprinted for the edge of the table, and leapt towards the wooden stool recently occupied by her gigantic captor. She misjudged the distance, however, and slammed roughly against the thick oak surface with a small crack.

Sabrina’s eyes snapped open at the sound, and she quickly swung her head down to see the pathetic escape attempt in progress. She chuckled softly, then slammed her fist down in front of the girl, the shockwave sending her tumbling onto her knees.

“Well, I was trying to put a hex on you that would make you a little more resistant,” Sabrina said sternly, her piercing eyes glaring down at the girl kneeling square in the center of the stool. “But you moved, and now I don’t know if the spell worked or not.” She spun around, and glanced down over her shoulder at the woman. “Guess there’s only one way to find out...”

The blonde’s legs screamed in protest as she stood up, the fall taking a toll on her fragile limbs. She looked up in time to see a gray wall eclipse the light from the window, casting an ominous shadow over her. She let out a scream of terror as the giant girl’s rear fell towards her, but her cry for mercy was cut short as the pubescent butt slammed into the stool.

Sabrina cackled as she felt the tiny girl squirm under her rump, her body pinned firmly between Sabrina’s cheeks. She wiggled her butt back and forth a bit, grinding the girl into the stool. She wondered how much the girl was suffering, and whether or not the spell even worked.

Trapped under the mountain of ass, the girl struggled to breathe as the massive weight crushing down on her shifted from side to side. Not that the air down there was fit to breathe; the stench of unwashed cloth and stale sweat penetrated every labored breath she took. The faint odor of shit hinted at her nose, but right now that was the least of the tiny girl’s concerns. Her body burned as she as stretched to her limit, a horrifying pop resounding from her left shoulder as her arm was wrenched from its socket. Lightning bolts of pain shot through the girl’s body, but her screams were muted by the titanic butt that rolled over her again and again.

After five minutes of torturing the poor girl, Sabrina finally stood up. She looked down at her handiwork, and noted the girl’s arm was bent upward at an inhuman angle. The girl slowly sat up, her injured arm hanging limp against her side as she began to sob.

“Well, I guess that answers my question,” Sabrina sighed, turning around once more. Instead of sitting back down though, she wiggled her butt a few times, then hopped into the air and slammed her ass down hard onto the stool. A satisfying pop filled the air with the impact, and the maniacal laughter of the young witch filled the cottage.

Within the cauldron, the remaining two tinies scurried against the edge of the rounded walls. They weren’t sure what had just happened, but they had a gut feeling by the sound of the giant laughter that whatever became of the previous two probably wasn’t something they wanted themselves. Once again, the claw of Sabrina’s hand appeared above them, scooping the man up in the cage of slender fingers.

Sabrina smiled as the tiny man screamed while he was hoisted into the air. She placed him on the stool, and he stumbled to his feet. She watched with a devious smile as the man turned to see the red smear beside him, the mangled remnants of the blonde flattened out across the wood. A red hue tainted the grain around the crushed body, and the man turned his face away in horror.

“If you don’t want to end up like that,” Sabrina scolded, “I suggest you stand very still. The man nodded, keeping his eyes averted from the gory sight beside him. Sabrina turned the page of the spell book, and her eyes scanned over the symbols and diagrams before her. Mouthing the words a few times, she turned her sights back to the next test subject, and clasped her hands in front of her chest. With a shout, she parted her hands, directing her palms towards the man atop the stool.

The man looked around at his arms, his skin starting to tingle inexplicably. It felt like a horde of ants was crawling across his skin, but there was nothing on his arms! He began to scratch at the invisible insects, grunting in frustration as the tinging grew into an itch, then to a burning sensation.

“Don’t move if you want to live,” Sabrina hissed, her eyes locked on the tiny man. she growled as he continued to claw as his skin, the pain climbing higher with every passing second. Finally, she heard a scream of pain as the man collapsed on his side, and began to convulse. Sighing in frustration, she dropped her hands to her sides, and squatted next to the stool. The shifting weight sent a ripple of tickling from under her sole as she smothered her living insole, but she paid no attention to it as she squinted at the tiny man before her eyes.

The man’s skin was bright red, as if he had been exposed to the sun for far too long. After a few seconds, Sabrina realized the man wasn’t breathing, or moving at all. She reached forward and prodded the limp body with her index finger, flopping the lifeless form onto its back.

“Dammit, not what I meant to do.”

Sabrina swept the man up into her palm, and dumped the corpse into the cauldron. She took a bit of pleasure in hearing the last woman shriek in terror at the sight of her latest test result.

“Wait till you see what I have in store for you,” she called over her shoulder, before turning back to the tome and skimming through several more spells. She wanted to make this last test worthwhile, or at least entertaining for her.

A loud banging at the door shook Sabrina from her trance. She glanced up, and noticed a face peering into the window at her.

“Shit.”

“Open the door!” A voice shouted outside, followed by another series of banging against the door. Sabrina snapped the spell book shut, and tucked it under her arm. Her eyes darted around the room, surveying the best place to hide. Her gaze traced one of the beams up along the ceiling, to a dark corner among the wooden joists. She scooped the small people out of the cauldron, the living tiny still in shock and offering no resistance. Laying them both in the middle of the floor, Sabrina waved her hand over them and scooted back. Within seconds, the woman and lifeless man began to expand, slowly regaining their original sizes. The pulse of magic within her knocked the woman unconscious before she could react, and Sabrina began to scale the wooden beam to her hiding spot. She looked down at the man’s corpse, a cruel grin spreading across her lips as she took in the details of the damage she had done.

“Open up! In the name of the...”

“Go away!” Sabrina shrieked over the pounding at the cottage door. A crack echoed from the door, as the men outside began to ram the door. The oak boards would only stand up to their brute force a little longer, and Sabrina scurried up the rafters, scooting into the darkness. She focused on keeping her breathing calm, and watched in silence as the hinges finally gave way. Four men stormed into the cottage, armed with pitchforks and knives. Two of the men rushed towards the unconscious woman on the floor, dragging her to her feet. As she was lifted, the woman began to shout and flail against the firm hands that gripped her shoulders. The two men dropped their knives and held her tightly as she began to scream and shake, and it took all four to subdue her and bind her limbs. The largest man of the group hoisted the woman over his shoulder, elbowing her hard in the forehead to render her unconscious once more.

Sabrina smiled as the men glanced around the room. One of them turned and emptied his stomach into the cauldron, the horrors around him more than his mind could process. The fourth man shook his head, then picked up the desecrated body from the floor, lugging it off for a proper burial. Sabrina smiled in the darkness as the last man exited the house, and silently dropped to the floor a few moments after the sounds of their footsteps had faded off into the distance.

“Might as well go see what they do to witches,” she giggled to herself. She pulled the tome from under her arm, and waved her hand over it, reducing the book to a more manageable size.

“At least I have one spell mastered,” Sabrina sighed, slipping the miniature book into her pocket, before skipping off towards town.

Chapter End Notes:

Not sure if I’ll do a repeat of Thanksgiving and Christmas... but this series is not totally finished yet.