- Text Size +
As John and Jerry carried the guard, he continued to struggle to break free but with the combined efforts of both of them, they managed to keep him in their grasps. Occasionally, he would call out to the few people walking by them by calling them 'heretics' to Ryan's brutal regime.


"You're all fools!" The guard cried out as he and the pair carrying him neared their destination. "You won't last when Ryan realizes that two of her honor guards are missing! She won't stand for it." Jerry, out of frustration, punched the guard in the side, silencing him.


"About time you learn some manners. And it's best that you learn from us." John and Jerry then entered into a tent and pushed the guard to the ground. "Get some rope and a chair. We're going to be a while." John said as he pulled the guard up and brought him to his knees. The guard knew they couldn't break him. He was one of Ryan's most fearsome soldiers and he intended to show them that.


"You really think you're gonna get anything out of us? We're the guards of Ryan's colony! You'll never get a word out of me!" John clenched his fist to hold back his anger. Jerry then came back with the rope and chair. Grabbing the chair, John brought the still weakened guard onto the wooden chair and tied his appendages to it.


"You really think your Goddess is gonna come save you? I think you're confusing your brainwashing with actual facts. Jerry and I grew up alongside you! You really think that in a colony of almost three thousand, she keeps track of every single person in the colony?" John then clenched his fist and punched the guard in the face, leaving him momentarily stunned. "You're insane if you do!"


The guard laughed slightly as he spit some blood on the ground. "You really doubt her power? She's a goddess that kills traitors for fun! Now since I'm feeling generous today, if you release me and my partner, I'll personally make sure that Ryan doesn't kill you. I'll even make sure that you and your girlfriends stay together. Maybe as insoles if you're lucky.” Jerry then ran up from the corner he was standing in and punched the guard in the face, just like John did moments ago.


"Listen here punk. You don't ever talk about my girlfriend ever again! You got me?" The guard was still smiling, contempt that he was getting to them. "What's so funny?"


"Both of you are so easy to piss off. It's like I can just flip a switch and you'll punch me. You two were never Rangers. Neither of you would last in the new colony. You and your girlfriends would be considered snacks for Ryan. All of you." John looked at Jerry and signaled him meet him outside the tent. "Where you going ladies? Fun's just starting!"


"We're not going anywhere with him. He enjoys the pain and we can't get him to talk." Jerry said as he kicked a small pebble towards an empty tent. "We can't let this guy win. After what he and Ryan have done to the colony."


"I know but how are we supposed to get him to talk?" John said as he started to pull his hair out from the stress. That's when he felt a small tap on his shoulder. John turned around to see the other guard next to Marissa and Elise. The girls had a small smile as they both looked at John and Jerry. "Marissa? Who's this and why is he with you?" John clenched his fist as the guard stepped forward.


"Name’s Lance. I understand if you don't trust me because of me and my partner's actions earlier but I can assure you, I'm trustworthy for whatever you and your friends need." Lance said as he extended his right hand to shake John's.


"He's good John. He talked to Jaylin." Elise said. Jerry walked up to him and shook his hand. “She said she integrated him. You can relax a little bit.”


"Jerry. I hope you're more cooperative than your friend."


“Forge? He's a fanatic for Ryan. Before this whole situation, he was supposed to be promoted to captain of the New Rangers. You know, before your girl abducted us." Lance said as he watched John walk up to Marissa and got next to her. “Snatched us up, didn't get a chance to fight her.”


"So Lance, what made you betray everything you were forced to believe for the past ten months?" John asked. “After all, a few minutes ago, you and your friend, Forge, were condemning us for being here.”


"Because I realized what Ryan was doing. She manipulated all of us into believing whatever she said was real. She took my family from me and she did the same thing with everyone who disagreed with her.”


"Why don't we have this conversation somewhere more secluded?" Marissa asked as she got in between the two men. “I really don't want to make a scene here.”


"I think you're right." John said as he backed down from standing right in Lance's face. He then turned to Marissa and soon grabbed her hand to hold it gently. Lance soon backed down as well and turned around.


"Where's the most secure location here?”


John looked at Marissa. "This isn't the colony anymore. We don't have to worry about anything like that. Nobody's trying to sabotage us." Lance turned back to the group.


"Right. So where to?"


"We can go to my place if it makes you feel better." Elise said as she started heading to her tent. The group looked at each other before following Elise to where her tent was which was in the front row of tents, a few tents from John's and Marissa's. A shortish walk from where they were standing currently.


As Elise welcomed the group into her tent, she held the flap open to let everyone in. "Sorry for the mess. I didn't really expect company today. If I did..." Elise trailed on but soon stopped when Lance looked around her tent.


"Do you have a table Elise?"


"I don't think so." Elise answered with some confusion in her voice. "Do you need one? Like absolutely need one?" Lance sighed and put his hand on his face.


"No I don't need one. It just would've worked better..." Lance said as Jerry, the last person, got into Elise's tent. "Now that everyone's inside, what do you need to know?"


"What's Ryan doing with the colony?" John asked immediately.


Lance took a second to clear his throat before answering. "She isn't really in control as for the colony. She is like a god. She can't make sure the laws she put in place are obeyed by everyone in the colony. That'd be impossible, even for her. What she put in place was the New Rangers." Lance pointed to his left breast where the New Rangers logo was displayed. It had a two headed eagle with its wings spread out. Below it was the colony. "In charge of them is General Luke Efter. Nasty guy. He's basically in charge of everything in the colony. He reports any traitors or violations to Ryan. But what she's doing with our people is simple. She's using them as snacks, insoles, playthings. Basically, we're less than people in her eyes. Anything that she wants us to be, we are. And a lot of people are blind to this fact.


Marissa looked at John who had a disturbed look on his face from what Lance told them. She couldn't blame him. With what Lance was telling them, she was starting to get a little bit frightened. “What else can you tell us about the colony?" Marissa asked. “Anything we might not know?”


"There is a resistance going on. A small one but they're fairly competent. Better leadership than what we have, that's for sure. Rumor has it that they have a War Priest leading them. But that's just a rumor. They were wiped out when Ryan took power.”


Jerry nodded his head. "So how do we join the fight? We can't just let them die in there."


"They've been going on for nine months. They can hold out a bit longer. Sides, your people aren't ready for what's beyond the wall. Not even you John." Lance then looked around Elise's tent. He then noticed something sitting on a shelf made of what appeared to be wood. It was metallic and small that appeared to have some red and green buttons. Lance then reached for it. He cupped it and looked at the front of it. It had the letters B-U-C and then the rest of the name was faded.


"Elise right?" Elise nodded, curious about where Lance was going with this. "Where'd you find this?"


"It was in my tent when I got here. What's so important about it?" Elise questioned. Lance brought the device to John and the others.


"This is a long range communicator. With our current gadgets in the colony, as soon as we reached the bed, comms stop. But with this we might be able to contact the resistance. Now I don't how Elise or anyone here got their hands on this but we could join the fight against Ryan." Lance said as he tossed the communicator to John.


"Does it work?" Marissa asked John who was still confused about what he was now holding. "I don't know. I don't even know how it works let alone if it will." John said.


"I think I can fix it. Or at least try to." Jerry looked at the strange device that John held. "Here, let me see it." John handed it to Jerry who began inspecting the thing. "It shouldn't be too hard to fix. Just give me a few hours to look at it and then I'll tell you if it can be fixed or not." Jerry then left the tent and headed to his.


"Anything else we might need to know about the colony?" John asked.


"Let's see. It's ruled by the General and the New Rangers, not everyone is letting this happen. Oh yeah, John." John instantly sprung up. "Think you can stay behind? So you and I can have a private conversation." Lance smiled slightly. John nodded his head and looked to Marissa.


"Don't worry. I won't be too long. I think." John stepped forward towards and everyone started to leave. "What'd you need?"


"John, what I'm about to say will rock your world. I think you might need to sit down." Lance started to lean on Elise's bed. "The redhead. Is that your girl? By the way, super sweet.”


"Marissa? What about her?" John raised an eyebrow.


"You remember Ariel? From the colony. Your old girlfriend? Yeah she's alive. She's Ryan's number one actually." Lance's words shocked John to the very core. Here he was. For the past eight or nine months, he had been dating Marissa. A girl who used to be three hundred times their height.


“How do you know about us? I figured we were nobodies in there.”


“That's where you're wrong John.” Lance then leaned on Elise's bed. “During the reconstruction of the colony and the forming of the New Rangers, some of us were scavenging the old files and found that you and Ariel were the ones that shrunk our old friend Destiny. I personally started searching more through the records and found that you two were close up until Ryan came.”


“How'd you know she died? Or at least, I thought she died.”


“I asked her. The General sometimes kept an eye on her about two months into the occupation. I was fortunate enough to stay on guard with her for a few days before I got promoted. She showed me pictures of you guys together. Sweet girl but if you got her mad, holy hell.”


“You're trying to fuck with me aren't you? Trying to ruin my life by telling me the girl I dated back home is back from the dead. Sides, why should I believe anything you said? You don't have any proof that you know her.”


"I'm not trying to ruin your life John. Sides, her middle name is Anne, her birthday is October thirteenth, you got her a dust bunny for her birthday and you two went to George Marcus to shrink Destiny. Still think I'm lying?” John looked at Lance, amazed. They were true. All of them. Sure the first he could've looked at her Ranger file but the rest, only she would've known and told people she trusted.


“I just wanted to tell you. You can tell Marissa or whoever you want. Or don't. Just try not to go crazy over it ok?" Lance then exited the tent, exposing two girls that had been eavesdropping the on conversation. It was Juliana and Natasha. "I'll let you deal with them as you see fit John. I've got to go talk to Jerry about the comms." Lance then walked around the girls and headed towards the entrance of the community.


"Natasha. Juliana. Come in here for a few minutes would you?" John stood up and headed towards the girls who were still standing in front of the tent.


"Come on JuJu. Better face the music." Natasha said as they walked up to John.


"So who's this Ariel? And are you going to tell Marissa about her?" Juliana asked.


John sighed. "Ariel was my girlfriend before all of this happened. We dated for about three months and she then was eaten by Ryan. That's all I knew up until now. I didn't know she was still alive and if I knew she was..." John started to pace back and forth, frustrated. “I would've waited for her and not gone after Marissa. We were in love until we got separated.” John then got on Elise's bed and put his hands on his head. “It should've been me. Ryan should've taken me.”


“Don't blame yourself John. You didn't know she was alive.” Juliana patted his shoulder out of consolation, trying to comfort John. “Sides, don't talk like that. It wasn't your fault. And you know that. There was nothing you could've done.”


"So are you gonna tell Marissa any of this? I think she needs to know about this most." John sighed and looked at Natasha.


"You think I should? I mean she already knew about her. I just really hope she doesn't act like I think she will. I don't think she will. I mean I'm telling her about the girlfriend I left for her is still alive. We both thought she was dead. Dammit Lance. Why'd you make things hard on me?"


"I guess the only way you'll to find out is to tell her. I mean, do you love each other?" John nodded his head and let Juliana continue. "Then why are you worried? If both of you feel the same way when you tell her this, you won't have to be worried."


"I mean come on. You two are a match made in heaven.” Natasha said. “You two were made for one another.”


John finally stood up and looked at the two girls. "Just please don't tell anyone else until I tell Marissa. After that, I'll tell everyone that needs to know. Please don't spread this around like the plague. That's the last thing I need right now. Understand?” John said as the girls stood up. Both of them nodded their heads in agreement.


“Don't worry John. We won't tell. I promise. Both of us do.” Natasha said as they held the flap open for the others. To their surprise, they saw Marissa a few feet away from the tent, a tiny bit out of hearing distance. John ran up to the front to get in front of Marissa.


“What'd Lance need to talk to you about? And why'd you bring them in there?” Marissa asked. John put his hands on her shoulders and squatted down a tiny bit to get to eye level with her. He had small tears running down his cheeks, signaling to her that something wasn't right.


“Marissa….can we talk in our tent for a bit? It's really important. It's about us.” John said as he stood up straight and held Marissa’s hand to walk her to the very short walk to their tent.