- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Continuing the arc with John and Marissa, we see more of the community of survivors underneath the dresser. Also, the next chapter is split from this one in order to prevent this chapter from getting too long
Day 312


Ever since Ryan shrunk Jessica, we've seen ten girls move into this room. All of them have been shrunk. Although we've managed to rescue a few of them from ending up as another one of Ryan's slaves. This includes Marissa, Juliana, Elise and finally Natasha. They're all pretty in their own right. But it was a lot different when they towered above us. The ones we didn't manage to save were taken by Ryan to be a meal or something more terrible. Sometimes I couldn't sleep at night, knowing that they're trapped and being tormented by her and I can't do anything about it.


On the bright side, all four of the girls have been more than happy to help out with helping out the others. I must say, all of them work as hard they possibly can. And Jessica said that they're learning how to live like us faster than Jerry can teach them. It's amazing. Jerry has become one of greatest people I've ever meet. Although he wasn't like that when I first meet him. That's thanks to Jessica.


I don't know where we would be if she wasn't here. She risked her life when Marissa shrunk. She ran out there and even got a whiff of some of Ryan's feet like many of us have. When Jessica brought Marissa back here, she thought we would kill her. Kinda makes me laugh now but now that I think about it, we did all crowd around her so I could understand her reasoning.


The first few weeks after Ariel's death, I still believed that she was still alive and fighting Ryan. No one in this little community of ours seemed to share my optimism. But after about three weeks, I finally accepted her fate. She was either dead or a slave, wishing she was dead. It was at that point where I said screw it. I was going to ask Marissa out.


Her and I eventually started talking about our drastically different worlds that we came from. I would tend to let her tell me about her life before this happened to her but eventually, I was forced to tell her some things of the colony. She was curious about what our life was before Ryan came and completely destroyed our home. I tried to keep this a secret but I just couldn't resist her baby doll eyes that she gave me. Oh, it was adorable.


For our first date, we sat in my tent to just talk all day. She told me it wasn't the worst date she's ever had but told me I had to step my game up for our next date. And I guess I did because I decided to take to her to one of the towers that Darwin had made for defense. He made four towers out of trash he found about a month after we moved here. It never served any purpose but it was the most romantic spot in the community in my opinion. The way it showed off every single tent amazed me when I first set foot up there. I knew she would love the view the tower gave so that's where I took her that night.


Flashback.....


"What do you mean you've never seen an ant before? You've had to!" Marissa said, shocked that John had never even heard of an ant. “Especially at our size.” Marissa giggled a tiny bit, revealing her crystal clear teeth.


"Keep in mind Marissa, I was born in that wall over there. The only times I got to go outside was to collect food. I wasn't like you, walking thousands of feet at a time growing up."


"I'm sorry that I was born a thousand times bigger than you and everyone else." Marissa paused and looked at John. "So, when are you going to tell me about your life before this? I have been waiting pretty patiently. Plus, you promised me you would tell me on our last date." Marissa said, teasing John.


"Yeah. I never did tell you about the colony did I? Wait, what have I told you?"


"You told me about Ariel and Ryan." Marissa then brought her smooth hand close to John's. "You always did promise that you'd tell me about your life. You know, before all of this." She smiled, looking down at the tents. "I've always been curious about what you and your people were like before she came and destroyed everything you've ever achieved." Marissa said. John didn't answer her. After a few seconds of silence, she snapped her fingers, breaking the silence that had plagued the pair for several seconds.


"Where do I begin? It all started when I first set foot outside. I was sent on a mission to gather food for the colony. Long story short, a friend of mine got spotted and I took her place."


"Who'd you get spotted by? Ryan?" Marissa interrupted.


"No. It was Destiny. And before you interrupt again, yes. The Destiny that's our size right now."


"So Darwin's not a crazy lunatic? He keeps telling me about when Destiny was my size. Jessica just said to ignore him." Marissa said.


"I guess you can say that. Now, back to the story..." John continued to talk about his adventures with Destiny and about three months later, with Jessica and Ryan for several more hours until Marissa finally called it a night.


Marissa then stood up and stretched her tired muscles. "I think I'll call it a night. You want to walk me home? Or do you want me to walk alone in this dark and lonely place?" John just stared at the light that continued to faded away in the distance. Marissa then got on one knee to get to John's level. "Come on John. You were so talkative a few minutes ago and now you're quiet. Is it something I did? John?" John stood up and walked to the stairs. “John? What's wrong?”


John then stopped on the stairs and slightly turned to Marissa. "I was just thinking about her. I’m sorry. I shouldn't be doing that on our date." Marissa followed him down the stairs. “It's unprofessional and it won't happe-” Marissa then ran up to John and turned him around to kiss him. The warm and surprising lips of Marissa brought joy to John as she pulled away from him. She looked up to him slightly and smiled.


“It's sweet that you care about her. It really is.” Marissa put her hand on John's chest. “It means that you have a heart. The other boyfriends I've had would always go after one thing. But you, you're….” She paused. “You're better. You're sweeter than every guy I've met.” John then hugged her, feeling her embrace it. “But she's gone.”


“And you're here. I know.” John looked down at her slightly. “Hey Marissa?” John separated himself from Marissa and held her hands to start swinging them. “Do you want to see where we used to live? At least a very small part of it?” Marissa shook her head in excitement. “Follow me." Marissa smiled a little as John helped her down the stairs to see his special surprise.


John's surprise for Marissa was the one place that he forbid anyone from going near. The former entrance/exit of the colony he once called home. "This is the once fabled exit to the colony. It's been sealed off by her. No one has come out since that day. We can't go in and they can't get out. When the girl before you lived here, we tried to send a small letter but no response. It's either blocked off so far or the entire colony is gone."


Marissa put her hand around John's and held his. "Don't say things like that. You know what that'll do to you. You have to have hope especially in times like this." Marissa then got closer to John. “You can't always think about the negative.”


"You're right." John turned his head to see the sun start to set. "I think I should take you back home. Don't want to stay out too late. I hear Darwin's going to give you and Natasha a lesson on how not to spotted in the morning." John then turned around and grabbed Marissa's hand to hold it. "This used to be the great trail that the Rangers used to take. I've only taken this way about five times in my life and this is now my sixth."


"How'd it feel walking down this walkway not knowing if you would come back?" Marissa asked, looking around in the ever darkening hall.


"The first time I walked this way, I remember my heart racing. It was going a million miles a minute. Sure I was nervous but I did it all for her." Marissa looked at John as if he was crazy. "Yep. I did this whole thing. I risked my life for a girl. But not just any girl. When we were in school, she was the most beautiful and the most dangerous on the fact that she was a ranger. She told me that if I came back with food, she'd date me. I got back but, she had to rescue me."


"You must've really loved her if you know certain death was almost a guarantee. Under the threat of being crushed by giant girl that lived here. For what?”


“Food for the colony. Scraps and whatever we could find.”


“Like what Jerry and Sarabe do?”


“Yeah. Dangerous thing for someone to do. But necessary. We wouldn't have lasted as long as we did without the Rangers.”


“So she was the reason you wanted to join the ‘Rangers’? Wanted to impress her by committing suicide?”


They then crossed the exit to the tunnel and continued their walk home. "I guess you could say that.” He laughed as he realized the humor of it all. “We dated for about a month. Got a cheap house and lived there for a few weeks until we left for our current residence. We didn't really get to grab much of anything when she came. Pictures of us together, even that stupid dust bunny that I got her for her birthday. They're still in there." They then crossed the border to their tented community. “God she hated when I got her those things.”


"What are dust bunnies? I know what my world calls dust bunnies but what's your interpretation of the things?"


John paused for second. “It's dust that I collected for days at a time. And then I shaped it into an adorable bunny.”


“Aww, sounds really cute. I might want one. You know, you could've surprised me with one.” She smiled and looked at John.


"I just figured you wouldn't want one. Although it was a kind of a pain to collect all that dust. And you're two different people. Some have different tastes.”


"Maybe I would like one. I did like that piece of chocolate you got me though." Marissa then got closer to John. “It was a great way to celebrate my birthday. Even if we've only been together for a few weeks.”


"I thought you would. Jessica told me that you liked chocolate. And we all noticed how you would eat those huge chocolate bars when you were your regular size.” Marissa laughed.


“They weren't huge. They were shareable size.” She giggled again. “I might've shared some with you if I knew you guys were right under my dresser. A tiny piece. Wouldn't have been that big would it?”


“To us they were.” He sighed. “So I thought maybe I should give you something special. Something to remind you of your old life." John and Marissa then started to walk towards Marissa's tent.


"You thought right." Marissa said, careful not to alert anyone to their presence.


"So did you enjoy our little date?" John asked, opening the flap to Marissa's tent.


"I did. It was really great. Had our first kiss, you showed me part of your home. It was really great. Except maybe next time we can go on a double date with Jerry and Jessica. It's just an idea I had."


"You've been talking to Jessica a little too much. You know that right?" John said. "She's been talking about that for a little bit." Marissa smiled and gave him her cute and adorable eyes. "I'll think about it." John said. Marissa then kissed John on the cheek and then went into her tent. "Night..."


The Journal….


As Marissa and I got closer, Jessica gave me some advice on the whole dating a former giantess. In her words, "Try not to bring up that she almost killed some of us while she was you know...a thousand times our size." To be completely honest, she was the only of the girls I had feelings for when she came. Her bright red hair, her porcelain skin and her kind personality kinda reminded me of Ariel if she had red hair. She was the perfect woman.


But back to the rest of the girls. Natasha was the first girl to move in after Jessica. Another blonde just like her. But, unlike the other nine girls, she found us before we found her. I sent a two men team to look for food a few weeks after the event. That day, Natasha moved in and kicked off her shoes. She walked around to my men and stopped in her tracks. She noticed them but unlike what we feared, she was just like Jessica. She brought the two man group back home and she told us that she would give us anything we needed. Food, water and even shelter. But at the same time, we tried to warn her that Ryan was next door and would shrink her if she was spotted with us. But like I expected, Ryan fired her shrink ray and shrunk Natasha. We quickly grabbed her and this nearly caused one of us to get spotted by Ryan.


When we put Natasha in her own tent, the first thing she did was hug me and cried on my shoulder. She stayed inside her tent for a few days. She wasn't like Jessica and this would be considered normal for future girls. The other three girls including Marissa would exhibit this kind of behavior. Natasha was the first and we had no idea how to deal with it. She was obviously traumatized by what Ryan did to her. Jessica told us to just keep our distance until she was ready but unfortunately, that didn't happen.


We tried everything we could think of to get her out of her tent. We were just going to give up on her, that was until Jessica finally intervened and talked to her. Understandable since Jessica was the second and most talkative of the now three shrunken women. Now I don't know what Jessica told Natasha but it clearly worked. She soon came out of her tent after a few hours of talking with Jessica. She was still shocked and still shy but soon she started to talk to everyone including Darwin. But considering how he resented her for a few days just like he did with Jessica, I wasn't buying it but soon Darwin became a mentor to Natasha.


Next up were several failed attempts to rescue the other girls. Ryan would get smarter the longer this cat and mouse game continued. We managed to get Natasha, Marissa and Julianna before Ryan got her hands on them but the others...they weren't so lucky. Ryan would sometimes shrink them at night when the target and we were asleep. Nobody heard her come in but by the time we woke up, the giant girl was gone. The only one lucky enough to escape during this procedure was Elise. That morning, she limped to the community and begged for help. Poor thing. Jessica said that she was lucky Ryan didn't find her.


"John! John!" Marissa said, interrupting John as he was writing in his journal.


"Yes dear?" John responded sarcastically.


"It's nine o'clock and you're still writing in your journal?" Marissa said as she entered their tent and got behind him. "What'd you write about today?" John then handed Marissa his journal and let her read through it. She opened the small book that was about three hundred pages long and growing considering John would write in it almost everyday. Marissa then flipped through the journal to the most recent entry. "Aww, you talked about our second date. So sweet. Wait, I thought you asked me to dinner that night. But instead we went to that tower." Marissa turned to the next page.


"It was still pretty romantic, right? Just the two of us talking." John stood up and walked over to his cabinet. “I remember you telling me it was the best date you've had.”


“It was. It really was. Just the two of us.” Marissa then skipped through some lines. “Better than any date anyone else has taken me on.” John laughed. “You think I'm kidding?”


John then opened the door and pulled his shirt off to put on a new one. "You brought up when Natasha first came here. I'm surprised you didn't bring me up. Oh wait, you kinda did." She then closed the book and put it on John's desk. She walked behind him as he was changing and hung on to his back.


"Why do you do this every time I want to change?" Both of them laughed.


"Because it's fun to annoy you." Marissa then hopped off and let John change. She sat down on John's side of the bed. She then laid back down and grabbed John's pillow that was extremely soft and warm. "How come your pillow is so soft compared to mine?" Marissa then stood up and looked at John who now had a black shirt and a pair pants on.


"Because I found a way to make it soft with magic." She then turned around and was about to leave the tent until John grabbed her arm. "Before you leave, what are you and the girls doing today?"


"I think Jessica said that Elise and I are going to gather some carpet from our usual spot. We should be done in a few hours. Why?" Marissa responded. John then turned around and grabbed his journal. He then put on his jacket and put the journal in a pocket.


"No reason." John said as he walked over to his bed. Marissa followed John and hugged him.


"How about we just take the day off." Marissa said as she gently pushed John onto his bed.


John then laid back with his legs hanging off the bed. Marissa soon followed and laid back on John's bed. "Can't we spend the rest of the day here? Just you and me, like we used to?" Marissa asked as she turned her body to face John.


"Not today. Maybe some other time but not now Marissa. Although I would love to cuddle with you all day, but I promised Jerry I would help him. And you still have your chores to do with Jessica." Marissa groaned and got up to leave. "See you tonight?" John asked before she left.


"Yeah. I'll be ready after you're done with whatever you and Jerry are doing. See you then! Love ya babe!" And just like that, Marissa left John alone in their tent. "Well, I guess it's time to be productive." John then stood up and walked outside.


John looked up and saw the blank wood that was the dresser to stretch out his back that was extremely tense since he woke up.


All of a sudden, he heard the familiar voice of Jerry behind him. "John! Where were you? I've been looking everywhere for you!" Jerry called out, running towards him.


"You looked everywhere except my tent?" Jerry face palmed.


"I saw Marissa go in and I thought she was looking for you and...I just realized how stupid that sounds."


John rolled his eyes and crossed his arms. "Jerry, what are we doing today? Besides standing around and doing nothing." Jerry got up against John's tent and turned back towards John.


“It's our turn to scavenge for food. Ever since Ryan shrunk Elise a few weeks ago, no one's taken residence in our humble abode. This is a great opportunity to scavenge what we can before another girl moves in. We leave in ten minutes. We could've left earlier but you were busy with Marissa." John started to walk towards the exit, leaving Jerry behind.


"First of all, we weren't doing what you think we were doing. Second of all, how long are we going to be gone? Me and Marissa have a thing tonight." Jerry then caught up to John and explained everything.


"God damn John. Could you walk any faster?" John turned around and looked at Jerry. "I could." John said as he smirked at Jerry. "Anyway, we're going to walk to the kitchen which is about a half an hour walk and then go through each and every cabinet that contains food and finally we're going to go back home. Altogether, it should be a two or three hour mission. If we leave on time, you should be back just in time to you to do whatever you and Marissa want to do." Jerry then saluted John and walked away, leaving John alone.


"Ten minutes? And don't be late this time!" Jerry called out, still facing the other direction.


"Ten minutes." John said, walking towards Marissa to say goodbye to her. “I think I have enough time.”


Marissa was helping pick the carpet to help make new clothes that some of the more talented ones of the community made. It was in the corner of the dresser that was near bare due to use over these seven or eight months. Marissa herself was to collect the picked clothe that Natasha and Juliana picked. Usually, she would have to do this three or four times a week and every time she did this, she prayed that something would happen to get her out of this boring work. Sometimes, her prayers would be answered but that was so far in between, she didn't hold up much faith that it would happen but this time, her prayers were answered in the form of John who stopped by.


John walked up behind Marissa and turned her around to hug her. He soon felt Marissa rest her cheek on his right shoulder. He looked over at the other girls who all had put their equipment and tools on the ground to put their hands over their hearts.


"Ahh, that's so cute." John heard Natasha say. Marissa then separated herself from John's embrace to speak to the girls. She opened up her mouth to speak but Jessica spoke before she had the chance.


"Get back to work ladies! Ignore the two lovebirds, no matter how cute they look." Jessica looked over to Marissa and John, the former of whom started to blush. The girls soon dispersed, leaving John, Marissa and Jessica to enjoy each other's company.


"So where're you going today? Out I'm guessing?" Marissa said as she wrapped her arms around John's neck. John then looked at Jessica and gave her the signal to come closer to them.


"Jerry and I are going outside to collect food and I thought, since I had time, I thought I would stop by and say bye." John then gave Marissa a peck on the forehead before turning his attention to Jessica who continued to stare at the couple as they stared back. “The last time I went out without telling you and saying goodbye, we got into that big fight.” John then kissed Marissa on the forehead. “And I'd hate for that to happen again.”


"I knew you two would make a great pair." Jessica had a huge smile on her brilliant face. "What'd I tell you John?"


John looked at Marissa and mouthed the words ‘I got this.’ John cleared his throat. “Jerry wanted to talk to you Jess. He's over by your tent I think. You should probably go meet him there before him and I have to leave." Jessica then started to run off to the see her significant other. As soon as Jessica was out of hearing distance, Marissa looked at John and smiled as she watched Jessica walked away.


"Have I ever told you that you're the best boyfriend I've ever had?" Marissa asked as she brought John closer.


"Many times. Many times." John said. "But I'm not complaining."


"Well, I think I better get back to my chores. These girls probably won't last long without some proper guidance. And you still have to collect the food." Marissa said, breaking her embrace of John.


"Yeah..." He said. "Oh yeah since you got mad at me for not saying it the last time I went out without telling you, I love you." A few feet behind them, they heard the familiar voice of Elise who continued to stare at them as they had their moment.


"You two are so adorable together." She said as she put her tools down on the ground, getting closer to them. John then looked at his watch and kissed Marissa one last time before he ran off to meet his deadline with Jerry.


"See you tonight! Love you John!" Marissa shouted to John as he ran off to the main entrance. She then saw Elise start to walk towards Marissa with a guilty look on her face.


"Did I ruin your moment?" Elise said, with her puppy dog eyes on.


"We just need some alone time that's all. You know what I mean?" Marissa said as she wiped a small tear from Elise's face. "Nothing personal but we never get to spend much time together and with everyone saying how cute we are together while we're having a sweet and beautiful moment. It's just..." Marissa trailed on as Elise started to cut her off.


"I get it. I'll try not to interrupt your moments with him anymore. I'll try to tell the others too. Now we better get back to work before Jessica gets back."


As John walked to the main entrance of the community, he saw Jerry waiting for him. "Hey Jerry! You ready to go?" John asked as he started to walk next to Jerry.


"Yeah, I got your pack with everything that we should need for the mission." John then reached for the bag and strapped it on. "You know where to go this time?" John clipped the bag on and finally facing the exit. "Yes. Elise told me where she used to keep the good stuff. Bread, even some meat. If we can climb up to the top of the counter, we could be able to sustain ourselves for the rest of the year. Think about it. We won't have to send anyone outside for months." John then exited the safety of the dresser with Jerry following close behind.


"We still have to finish this before we start celebrating. Let's move.”