- Text Size +
As the group of almost fifty came up the entrance, they were reminded of the day the fled the giant Ryan came and took over. The entrance used to be solid metal door that was silver and light up with strange buttons but now it was nothing but scraps of the buildings that once surrounded it.

“I thought you said it would be open John. What happened?” A man by the of Sal called from the back of the group. John turned around slightly to give him a look. Marissa then elbowed him in the side to pay attention as some of the rubble started to move. Some light started to come out from the darkness and the group all got behind some scraps that had been left behind.

“John?” A voice called from the other side of the wall. It sounded familiar yet he had to be cautious as he didn't know who was who anymore. “John, if you're here it's me, Christian. We talked on the radio.”

“He sounds like the guy on the radio.” Marissa then peeked her head out of the shadows and saw a masked figure standing in the doorway. She saw some green flames coming off the top of the helmet as well some horns coming out of the top. She saw the aggressive expression on the face she was looking at. There was only one word to describe what it was. Terrifying. Marissa then got back down next to Jessica, shaking in fear.

“I already saw you. If I was a Ranger, I would've already ran up and grabbed you.” John looked at Lance who was next to Jessica, just a few feet away from him. Lance nodded in agreement. “Might as well just come out now.”

“Why don't you take off the mask first? You're scaring some of us.” Marissa called out, getting close to Jessica for comfort.

“Sorry. It's ceremonial.” Christian said as he pulled off the War priest mask. He then handed it to the guards who put it gently down on the ground. “There. It's off. You can come out now.”

John stood up and most of the group followed behind him. “Atheon. Now can we get my people inside? You know, before your guards realize we're over here.” Christian walked over to where John was standing.

“Name's Christian.” Christian bowed down to John slightly. “How'd you manage to escape?”

“We got out right after Ryan took the colony away. You know when she destroyed the wall.” John explained while the group was escorted by Christian’s guards. Marissa got close to John as she felt the cold air from the colony come near her. “This is Marissa. She's my girlfriend of eight months. She used to be like Destiny until she was…” John looked at Marissa for her approval as he told Christian her story.

“We were shrunk by Ryan.” Marissa was nervous as she told other people about her and her friends past lives.

“Interesting…. We found a few girls during our raid-” Christian was saying as one of the guards shouted at him.

“Sir! We need to leave! The supports are giving out! They won't last a few more minutes.” Christian turned around and nodded to the rebel.

“We gotta go. You want to continue this inside?” Christian then ran to the entrance and the others followed quickly behind them. “Go John! I'll meet you in there. Just get your people inside my building. Follow my men and they'll get you there safely.” Christian said as he grabbed a metal bar to further support the dying structure.

Lance ran from his position next Elise to help Christian with the dying structure of the small doorway. “I got you.” Lance said as he help Christian.

“Thanks...what's your name?” Christian asked, struggling and shaking as they both held up the metal and wood that dropped every so often on the running members of the community.

“Lance…” He struggled as Christian started to walk towards the colony. Lance soon followed behind as he was meet by two rebels waiting on the other side of the wall along with Christian.

“Lance, you're a guard correct?”

“I was. Does this really matter?”

“Arrest him. Thrown him in with the other one John gave us.” The two rebels the reached out and handcuffed him. “You have a lot to answer for. He who doesn't weep.”

John, Jessica and Marissa then ran through the entrance of rubble and debris to enter the colony. This would be the first time that the girls have seen the inside of the colony and when they stepped inside, the saw the bright lights over head that lite the up colony to have an artificial day and night cycle. The buildings around the entrance they entered from were partially destroyed due to Ryan coming in and making sure no one else leaves but after a few hundred feet of paved road, they saw some people walking into habitable buildings. Marissa was amazed at what she saw. She saw the white tower in the center of the colony. But she could also see some light coming in from the other side of town. She assumed it was Ryan's room.

That's when a few of the rebels came and grabbed hold of them to direct them to the correct location, The Six Fingered tower. “See that tower over there?” A rebel asked. John nodded his head. “Go there. Christian will meet you inside once he's done.”

So the three headed to the building they were directed to. They saw the remains of what the old Ranger base as they past it. It was incredible how the colony had changed so much in so little time.

Once the trio got to the building where they saw people coming in and out, they stepped inside to feel the warmth of the heater. The people inside were wearing old Ranger armor with the ‘outdated’ logo on their left breast. “It's so cold in here. How'd you live like this?” Marissa asked John as she started to shiver.

“You need my jacket?” John asked. He then slid the black jacket he was wearing and put it around Marissa.

“Thanks John.” John then looked over at Jessica who was shivering and alone.

“Jess, you know it's big enough for the both of you. It's not all for Marissa.” Jessica looked at Marissa and she gladly welcomed her under the jacket John had given her. “I did tell Jerry I would take care of you. Remember Jess, don't be afraid to ask for anything while we're here.” Jessica smiled and embraced the warmth of Marissa and the jacket.

“Thanks John. It feels a lot better now.” Jessica smiled. John smiled back.

“John right?” A rebel came into view from an upper level. John nodded. “Christian wants to meet with you in the control room. Discuss what's gonna happen next. I can escort you three there. Just take those stairs up here.” The trio turned to their left and headed up the stairs the rebel pointed at. Once they got up the stairs, the rebel that called them up gave John a handshake. “This way. Christian’s already waiting for you three in the control room. They're discussing the next plan of attack there.” They rebel looked at the girls, how they were under John’s jacket. “How are your friends holding up? They seem cold.”

“Their names are Marissa and Jessica. They're not from here. They used to be like Ryan. Except they didn't enslave us. So they're not used to the temperature here.”

“Oh yeah. You two are some of Ryan's girls? Shrunk by her right?”

“Yeah. Wasn't really a great experience for them. How do you know about that?”

“We found a few girls like them in the science building. Sweet girls. But they're not like your friends though. They were experimented on, trying to perfect Ryan's formula. Bastard scientists. They scarred them, trying to figure out how to make more of the shrinking devices. Glad we got them out before it was too late.”

“Not all of the scientists are bad. We meet some of them when they were brought over to our place.” Marissa said to the rebel. “They seemed like they felt remorseful about what they did.”

“Maybe. Just be careful while Ryan's still in control.” The rebel then lead them to the control room. It was guarded by solid metal door and a control panel. He entered in the passcode ‘3-2-8-0’ into it and the door flung open. “You never know who you'll be able to trust.”

“I don't know what to do with it Christian. It's too much to process. I'm not saying your team didn't get enough data but...we'll still missing something.” A scientist drenched in a white lab coat said as he swiped through the things that the raid team found and took.

“Like what?” Christian asked. “What's missing?”

“I don't know sir. It doesn't look like the schematics your team stole.”

“Listen Trent, whatever is missing, find it and get this ready for deployment.”

“Yes sir.”

“Christian. Glad to see you again.” John came into the room with Jessica and Marissa by his side.

“John. Nice of you to drop by. We were just discussing what our next step is. And that requires some patience on our part. You see, we want to make sure Ryan gets what she has coming. She killed hundreds of of our people. And this is the thing that'll bring her down to size.” Christian pointed to a large pill sitting on a table a few feet away.

“Is that….” Marissa said, getting closer to Jessica out of fear of what she saw.

“Yes. It's the pill John used to shrink Destiny. And part of the core to shrink people from long range.” John turned to see Jessica and Marissa start to shake but not because they were cold. They did it out of fear of what they saw up close. “Are your friends good?” Christian asked, curious.

“They were shrunk because of that thing. It brings up bad memories for them.” Marissa then left the jacket and headed to John. “It wasn't a pleasant experience for them. Especially for Marissa.” John then rubbed Marissa's back to help her. He then kissed her head. “It's gonna be alright baby. I promise, I'm here for you.”

“I see. Maybe both of you can talk to the girls we found. Did Marcus talk to you about that?”

“Marcus?” John asked, hearing that name before.

“The man who brought you here. He was part of the group that helped us get inside the science building.”

“Yeah. He was telling us about them. I think we can help them.” John answer by looking at the two girls. They smiled, making the small tears disappear from view.

“John?!” A feminine voice called from the corner about fifty feet away from where they were standing. John knew who that voice belonged to. It was Ariel's. He turned his head to the left and saw Ariel run up to him. John, not wanting to be a seem like he didn't miss Ariel, released his grip on Marissa and opened his arms to embrace her hug.

“Ariel.” John said, trying to feel to be happy that he hadn't seen her in over ten months. “I thought you were dead.” Ariel then entered John's arms and felt his warmth.

“I thought I was too. I'm glad you're safe and back home. Now we can continue what where we left off.” John cut Ariel off and let go of her. He then grabbed Marissa's hand and brought her close to him to keep her warm.

“Ariel, this is Marissa. She's my girlfriend.” Ariel looked shocked at the pair. Marissa waved awkwardly at her. “We've been dating for almost eight months. She's been there for me and I've been there for her. I hope this doesn't affect our friendship that we had once.”

“You left me? I waited for you!”

“You have to understand Ariel. I thought you were dead up until today. I mourned you for almost two and a half months before I moved on with Marissa. I loved you from the minute I saw you at school to the minute I moved on. I thought you were dead. We all did. It wasn't an easy decision to date Marissa at first.”

“Hey, can you two have this conversation somewhere else?” Jessica said, frustrated by what the two former lovers were doing.

“I agree. We have much more important business than your love life John. And Ariel.” Christian said as he pulled up a blue hologram of the colony.

“Sorry. What's the plan?” John said as he back away from Ariel and reunited with Marissa.

“Well, a few hours ago, we entered the old Ministry building and performed a raid. A raid to get that.” Christian pointed to the pill. “Our plan was to somehow take out the New Rangers and then move on to the big fish but I really don't know how we're gonna do it. We've just been biding time until we were ready to to grab the pill but…we haven't really come up with a plan to use it. Yet. Any ideas?”

“John, what about Lance? He knows about the Rangers. Knows all the codes and everything they use.” Marissa said. “He could come up with something.”

“Lance? What do you know about him?” Christian asked. “Because a few weeks ago, we were searching through some files in the New Ranger database and found that Lance, your friend, did some horrible things to at least one of the girls that Ryan shrunk. Her name was Bailey.” John nodded his head. “Earned himself the name of ‘He who doesn't weep.’ He's dangerous.”

“I think I remember her. She moved in right after Julianna came. Dirty blonde haired girl right?”

“Yes. According to the files, Lance had to quote, put her down after his team performed some horrible things to her. You're lucky that he didn't do the same thing to Marissa or anyone else in your group.”

“That doesn't sound like the Lance we know. Back home, he helped us get here. He didn't even lay a hand on us. I would've told you if he did.” Marissa defending Lance.

“It's true. He did help us get here but if what you said is true...that changes nothing. He was one of the New Rangers before Jaylin took him away. He helped us get here and we need him to get our colony back. Now, get him over here.”

Christian sighed and got on the comms. “Sarah, bring Lance over to the control room please.”

The woman on the other end responded. “Yes sir. Bringing him over now.”

Christian then hung up on the comms and looked at John. “There? Happy? I just hope you trust Lance enough not to hurt your friends.”

“I trust him. He's helped us once, he'll help us again. I don't care what he's done. What's done is done. We can't fix anything in the past. We move on.” John further defending Lance.

“Where do you want him sir?” A female voice called to the room. John turned around to see Lance in handcuffs behind his back.

“At the table and take the cuffs off of him. We can't have a conversation with him like that.” Sarah raised an eyebrow to her commander. “Sir?”

“Did I stutter Captain? Take them off.” Christian intimidating the young Sarah. She then reached into her pockets and pulled out the keys to the cuffs. Getting behind Lance, she uncuffed him.

“Thank you very much. Now what were you talking about before I got here?” Lance stepped forward to John and Marissa.

“The plan. Christian?” Ariel said to Lance before returning her attention to Christian.

“We did a raid on the science building. Hit the Rangers pretty hard but until we can completely eradicate them and their presence here, we can't move on to the big fish. Ryan. With the Rangers still blocking our path outside, we can't use the pill. Now Lance, any ideas to take out Ryan? Any at all?

“Hmmm…” Lance looked at the 3D hologram of the colony and then walked over to the window. The angle the building was at gave Lance a much better view of the still smoking building in the center. “Hit the science division pretty hard right? Stole that right?” Lance said, referring to the pill.

“Yeah. Any ideas? If you don't, you can rejoin your friend in the holding cells.”

“Hmmm...how about we cause a distraction? Rally the people behind us? This will cause the guards to focus on the distraction. Meanwhile, a small team will take the pill to Ryan and somehow, get her to swallow it. And that's where our friend Jaylin comes. While Jerry's back home, we'll give the signal to have Jaylin distract the target. After she's done, we'll bring Ryan back to the colony in her new form. From there, it's up to you. How about that for a plan?”

“That's...pretty solid Lance. We'll make sure the plan will work before we execute it. It'll take a few days to set everything up. In the meantime, your people will be well taken care of while they're staying here. Warm food and as soft as beds we can get. Plus you two can discuss whatever needs to be talked about. Don't need you two arguing in front of everyone. Understand?” Christian said to John and Ariel. Both of them nodded in unison. “Good. Dismissed.”

John then walked up to Ariel who instantly slapped him across the face as Marissa ran up to him. “I'm not gonna say that hurt but don't do that again. I don't care who you are, I'm not afraid to hit back.” John then saw Ariel reach for another slap with her right hand. As soon as he saw the hand go up, he grabbed it and twisted it. Ariel reacted accordingly.

“Hey! John! Ariel! You two used to love each other. And now look at you. I get that you don't love each other anymore but now look at you two.” Jessica said as she ran to break the pair up.

“People change Jessica. People change.” Ariel said as she brought her hand down, forcing it out of John's grip.

Marissa then got in between the arguing couple. She then extended her hand to shake Ariel's hand. “Ariel right? I'm Marissa. I'm sorry for not introducing myself earlier. And I apologize for John. He's been through a lot. Here, why don't both of us go talk.” Ariel looked at Marissa with some slight confusion. “Come on. It won't take long. I promise.” Marissa started to walk towards an empty room that had a bed inside. Ariel looked back at John and Lance.

“Don't worry Ariel. She won't bite.” John called out to Ariel as Marissa brought to the empty room. Jessica then walked next to John. “I don't think I've seen Ariel that upset before.”

“You didn't know her when I forgot our three month anniversary. Oh she was so pissed.” John started to laugh a little bit. “She'll be fine. Both of them will. I just hope Ariel doesn't try to kill Marissa.”

“You really think she'd do that? To Marissa?” Jessica asked. “I didn't really know her long enough to know.”

“If someone said the wrong thing to her, she would get aggressive. But I'm confident that Marissa will calm her down if she accidentally says the wrong thing. She's been through worse. She's lived through worse. A lot worse than Ariel.” John then turned his attention to Lance who tried not to get noticed by anyone. “Hey Lance! Can I talk to you for a second?”

“Yeah sure. What's up?” Lance headed towards John as he walked out the room.

“So Christian told us about your time here as a guard.” John said, as soon as Lance caught up to him. “About Bailey.”

Lance stopped on his tracks and looked at John. “Bailey...I haven't thought about her in months. If you're wondering if I killed her, you're right.” John clenched his fist and pinned Lance against the wall with his arm on his neck.

“I trusted you with Marissa and she even defended you! You have ten seconds to explain yourself before I deliver my own brand of justice.”

“Ok. You want to know why I did it? Why I earned that name in the Rebellion?” Lance pulled himself out of John's headlock and walked towards the window nearby. “She was unique in the girls Ryan brought us from the other room. Bailey was cute, smart, blonde, and almost like my wife. She was taken by Ryan when she first came. Never saw her since.” Lance sighed. “My unit, the Hell Hounds, were assigned to escort her to the labs. But in the transport, she started having seizures, and went into cardiac arrest. My squad mate saved her but at a cost. The medicine she gave her, Bailey had an allergic reaction to. She called on me specifically to get closer to her. She whispered in my ear and gave me a simple request.”

“She wanted you to end her suffering. Was it that bad?”

“Yes. I ordered my men to call in Bailey had died on the way to the labs while I made her death as painless as possible. I knocked her out and then gave her a small overdose of Sphinx, a sedative used to slow the heart. She didn't suffer. I didn't want to kill her but if I could've saved her, I would've. But now here we are. With you, John, the guy I just met who trusted me with his girl. The girl who you care about so much. Why? Why trust a stranger?”

“Marissa has the heart of a million people. She automatically sees the good in people. And I trust her judgment. So if she trusted you enough to not hurt her, I'll trust you.”

“Thanks John. You know for not throwing me into the cages again.”

“Just prove Marissa right then we'll be even.”

Inside the room, Marissa took a seat on the bed and patted the space next to her. “Well come on Ariel. We're not gonna get anywhere if you're standing.” Marissa then scooted over and let Ariel get next to her.

“I don't know what we're going to talk about. I mean, I already know John left me for you.” Ariel got on the bed and looked at Marissa.

“Can I ask you a question Ariel?” Ariel nodded her head. “Do you still love John? Even after he showed up here with me? I won't be offended if you say yes. I can understand why. He is a sweet guy.”

Ariel cleared her throat. “These past ten months, I was all alone, thinking about him. I still kept the pictures we took at that little camera place down the block from where we used to live. All the gifts he gave me including that dust bunny. Of course I still love him but now that he's with you...I don't know anymore. I guess I can't really blame him. If I saw him being picked up by Ryan and dropping him in her mouth, I'd think he was dead too.” Ariel began to sob a little bit. “But now he's moved on. I won't blame him for going to you. You're sweet and everything he needs. I mean, I'd never do this. He doesn't need me anymore. Just tell me one thing, does he treat you right?”

“He treats me like a queen. Although I try really hard to get him to not do it so often. It makes me feel spoiled.” Marissa laughed a tiny bit.

“That's good.” Ariel sighed and wiped some tears off her face. “I think John's always wanted a girl like you. Sweet, willing to help him through anything, and most of all, good to him. You two are great together. At least from what I've seen.”

“And you're not? I mean sure, John's told me you could aggressive sometimes but your heart was always in the right place.” Marissa then leaned back on the bed. “It feels nice to be here. I know your home isn't in the best condition but it still seems nice. People here are nice.” Ariel then laid down with Marissa.

“Yeah. We used to full of hope and light in our little home. Trust me, when we're done with Ryan, things will go back to the way they were. Where we live under a protective group of Rangers rather than ones that oppress us. A goddess that didn't know we were here.” Ariel then closed her eyes to try and relax.

“I'm gonna go now. Good chat by the way. I think you and I will be good friends.” Ariel chuckled a little bit as Marissa got us to the door. “What?”

“Nothing. Just thinking about the good times again.” Marissa didn't see anything wrong with the comment so she left the room to let Ariel have it for herself.

“Hey Jessica!” Marissa called to Jessica who was still standing by the console where she was left. She still had John's jacket on to keep herself warm. “Where'd John go?”

“He went to go find you two a room. I think I can show you where he's at.” Jessica got up and started walking towards the door that they originally came into. Marissa followed close behind.

“Did you and Ariel have a nice chat?” Jessica asked.

“I believe so. She said she's gonna let John move on with me. And she said I was sweet and good for John.”

“Well he needs you more than you think. You didn't know him when you first got here but when Ariel was taken away, John spent most of his time in his tent, sobbing over her. You want to know what it took to get him out?”

“Hmm?” Marissa walked a tiny bit faster to catch up with Jessica. She then stopped in her tracks and turned to Marissa.

“It was you. You're the glue that's keeping him together.” Jessica looked over Marissa's shoulder and saw John standing in a doorway a few feet away, staring at the two girls. “Oh there he is Marissa.” Marissa turned around.

“You two good? Talk some sense into her?” John said, starting to walk to Marissa.

“I think I did. But maybe you two need to have a heart to heart one day. Settle this before it turns sour. Last thing we need is a jealous ex girlfriend. I've been in a few relationships that ended with one of us not exactly getting the hint. I don't want that for us. Maybe Ariel and you can still be friends.”

“Can it wait a few days? We need to focus on the problem at hand. Ryan. After that is sorted out, we'll do that.”

“You promise? You know what I'll do if you break a promise.” Marissa got closer to John, smiling a little bit as she looked at him.

“I know. I know. I'll talk to her. Now, come on. I've already set up most of our things in here.” Marissa stood on her tiptoes to see over John's shoulder. “We've had a long day. Why don't we just relax? Deal?”

“Yeah.” Marissa looked behind her to Jessica. “”Hey Jess, you want to stay with us? I think we have enough space in here. Right?”

John looked down slightly at Marissa. She knew he couldn't resist her puppy dog eyes she gave him when he wanted something. “Yeah, I think we have plenty to room for you Jess. I think we can ask for a blanket for you.”

Jessica blushed a little bit. “You two are good people.” Jessica then handed John back his jacket as she walked to the room. “Both of you spoil me.”

“It's not a problem.” Marissa said to her.

“Hey Jess, before I forget and him end up hating me for forgetting, Jerry wanted to talk to you. Make sure we got here alright.” John said as he welcomed her into their room.

“Yeah, he told me in case you forgot. I already talked to him. Thanks anyway.”

“Anyway, you're welcome to stay here as long as you need to. We'll be here for you.” Marissa said as she handed her a pillow. “I mean, John and I have the bed….you'll sleep on the floor. Sorry.”

“It's fine. I think I can sleep on the floor for a few days. It'll remind me of high school.” Both of them looked at her. “In high school, Ryan and I shared a room. She got the bed and I got the floor. This was long before she discovered the colony. We were friends back then. The best of friends. Before I knew she could be like this.”

“What are you gonna do if the thing works?” John asked. “You know, to shrink Ryan to our size.”

“Just one thing.” Jessica set her stuff by the bed. “I'm gonna punch her in the face. Payback for what she did to me, you, Marissa, Jerry, everyone she hurt. She's no longer the friend I knew. That friend is gone. Replaced by a monster. The Ryan I grew up with would never do this. Any of this.”