- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The community under Jaylin's bed makes contact with the colony.
“So what'd you need to talk to me about? Is everything alright?” Marissa asked as they got in their tent. John was still tearing up a bit from his conversation with Lance as he brought Marissa over to their bed for her to sit on. “John? What's wrong? Come on, you can tell me. Remember, no secrets between us? Right?”

“I'm fine Marissa.” John then kneeled down on one knee directly in front of Marissa. He then grabbed her hands and kissed them. “Before I say anything about what Lance told me, I just want to let you know that I love you with all my heart.” John looked up and saw Marissa start to cry as well. “Lance told me something about the colony only I would know. Remember our first date when I told you about Ariel?” Marissa nodded her head. “Well Lance told me that...that she's alive.” Marissa covered her mouth in shock.

“She's alive? How? You said she was dead.”

“I don't know how but apparently she's Ryan's Number One. But I want you to know something Marissa.” Marissa looked at John directly in the eyes. “If we do go back to the colony, and in the chance that she is alive, I just want to let you know that I choose you over her.” Marissa smiled a tiny bit. “Being with you these past eight months have been the best time of my life. I'll choose you over her any day.”

“Oh John.” Marissa pulled John up and hugged him. “I love you so much John.” Marissa said as she embraced his hug. She then separated herself from John and looked at him. She smiled sweetly.

“Me too Marissa. You are the light of my life, my Sun, Moon and stars. I don't know what I would do if we weren't together.” Marissa then looked over John's shoulder to see Lance standing in the entrance of the tent.

“I see you know about John's past girlfriend.” Lance then entered the tent and grabbed John's desk chair to sit on it. “But we've got bigger problems than your relationship. Jerry managed to fix the long range comms. He wants you to be there when he makes contact with the rebel base.”

“What's so bad about that? They're making contact with their home. A home they haven't seen in months.” Marissa said, separating herself from John while still remaining at his side. “What's wrong with then going home?”

“You don't understand Marissa. That thing has a fifty fifty chance of making contact with the New Rangers. Plus the colony they left isn't there anymore. It's been replaced by a colony of...just don't make contact with the colony. I know it sounds bad but with what you've told me, you've held up here pretty nice for the past few months.” Lance confessed to the couple. “We've got food, shelter, and a giant girl for safety. Everything we need. Everything we could ever want is here. We don't have to go back to the colony.”

Marissa then walked up to Lance and slapped him across the face. “Are you insane? You're just going to let thousands of your own people die under her?” Marissa yelled to Lance who instantly got up to smack Marissa. Lance raised his right hand and Marissa shrieked out of fear. She covered her face in defense as well. John then grabbed Lance’s hand out of the air and twisted it in retaliation.

“Don't you dare touch her. If you want to fight, fight me. Not her. Understand?” John then threw Lance’s hand down to his side out of anger. “We've stayed here long enough Lance. I don't care what you say, we're going back in there and we're going to join the resistance. This is for our people. Don't you realize that? Or are you still thinking like a New Ranger?” John walked up to Lance and poked the patch of New Ranger. “You need to to wake up and realize you're not in that monster’s control. She needs to be taken down. Come on Marissa.” John then grabbed Marissa's hand and left Lance inside the tent alone.

As Jerry and Jessica were fixing the radio. Jessica was sitting on the table, helping and handing Jerry tools when he requested them. They then heard the tent flap open. The couple looked at John and Marissa come into the tent. “John, glad you came. I sent Lance to go get you two because I managed t-” Jerry was cut off when John spoke.

“Managed to fix it. I know. He told us. But here's something you might not know about Lance. He doesn't want us to use it.” John pointed to the device that Jerry had on his desk.

“What? Why?” Jessica asked as she got up from her sitting position next to Jerry.

“He wants us to stay here with Jaylin. He thinks we'll be safer here with her than in your old home.” Marissa said as she got next to Jerry to investigate the repairs he made on it. Jerry then handed it to her and swung around on the chair he was sitting on.

“He's nuts. Sure we've survived here for these ten months but that's only because we've gotten lucky. Sides, what happens if Ryan comes back and shrinks Jaylin? Like I said, we got lucky she didn't shrink like the others. We don't even know why she's immune in the first place. Right now, Ryan could have a formula that could shrink her. As of right now, we're out of options. We need to go in there.”

“There is no guarantee that she'll survive the next attempt on her life like you said. It's a matter of when not if anymore.” John said. “You're right, we can't stay here any longer.”

That's when Lance came into the tent with a compassionate look on his face. All four of them looked at him when he walked into the tent.

“What do you need traitor?” John asked as soon he saw Lance. “I knew I shouldn't have trusted you when you came here. Should've locked you up like your friend.” John walked up to him and poked him in the chest.

“Don't compare me to Forge. At least I told you people what I know. Forge wouldn't tell you anything!” Lance yelled in a stern voice. “And I get called a traitor for telling you what Jaylin wanted to tell you guys. Fine. Go in there and die!”

“What do you mean?” Marissa put the radio on the counter and jumped off as well. “Jaylin wanted you to tell us that we should stay?”

“Yes. When she was talking to me, she told me that I should tell John to tell everyone here to stay. She'll protect us with her life.” Lance confessed. “She doesn't want us to go back in there. She says she can save us here.”

“I don't think she knows how drastic the situation has gotten for us and the people in that wall. We got a girl hundreds of times our size killing our friends and family on a daily basis. We can't afford to sit around any longer.” Jerry said as he stood up and walked up to Jessica. “John. It's up to you. Stay here for another ten months to let our colony be ruled by Ryan or connect to the Rebels to join the colony. What's your call?” Jerry asked as he turned on the radio and waited for John's answer.

“Lance, do you know the New Rangers comm code?” John asked.

“08673-0. If you're going to broadcast, make sure you avoid that channel.”

“Jerry. You know what to do. Get it started. We'll be right here.” Jerry then got back in his seat and got on the mic, checked the frequency and spoke into it.

“This is Jerry Saigon. We are escapees of Ryan's colony. We've been away from the colony for ten months. We have two New Rangers with us. One is helping us while the other is uncooperative. We also have about fifty total people here under the old dresser. Please respond.” Jerry said over the comms, broadcasting on all channels except for the New Ranger frequency.

“Now we wait. Let's just hope that the Rebels are home.” Lance said as he sat on the floor and waited for a response. They all knew the chances that they had just signed away their lives but it was well worth the risk.

Seconds turned to minutes. Minutes turned into an hour before they got a message. A distorted one but a message.

“This is Christ{Static}. I am the {Static}eader of the rebel{Static}. Glad to meet you {Static}-rey.” The message was broken in some parts but not enough for them to completely miss the message of the voice. John ran to the comm before anyone to continue the conversation between him and the other end.

“I don't know any Christian from the New Rangers. It should be good.” Lance said as he began to awaken from his small cat nap.

“How do you know?” Marissa asked.

“There's only about hundred of us. I know everyone there. It's good to answer it John. Go for it.”

“This is John. I'm basically the leader of our little community of escapees. We have five girls that Ryan has shrunk here as well. How soon do you think we can join up with your people?”

The static continued. “I'll sen{Static}ome of my men to {Static} the way a tiny bit but it won't stay open for {Static}. We don't need a Ranger coming by a{Static} assuming we're trying to escape. Should be ready in about twenty min{Static}. Understand John? Be at the old entr{Static}ce of the colony. Once your people are in, you'll get to meet everyone here. Call sign is Atheon.” Near the end, the signal started to clear up.

“Understood. Meet you there.” John clicked the button to sign off. He then turned around to see four smiling faces looking at him. Marissa then ran up to him and hugged him.

“I can't believe this is actually happening.” Marissa started to tear up a tiny bit as she said this. “You're going back home.”

“I know. It's great. We're going back John. We're finally fighting back against Ryan.” Jerry then hugged Jessica who was beginning to cry as well.

John looked over Marissa’s shoulder and looked at Lance. “Lance. Gather everyone and bring them to the entrance. I want everyone coming with us in there.” Lance nodded and exited the tent, saluting John as he left.

“You good Marissa?” John asked as he separated himself from Marissa’s embrace. Marissa's face was covered in tears of joy as she continued to cry at this moment.

“I think so. You're going back home John!” Marissa wiped some of her tears with her sleeves. “Your home will be yours again!”

“Let's not celebrate too much. Not before we're done here. We still have to get in there and get Ryan back for what she did to all of us.” John looked over to Jessica and Jerry who just finishing up their words. “You two ready?” Both of them nodded and they headed out of the tent and towards the entrance.

“Wait John, can I talk to you for a quick second? I promise it'll be quick.” Jerry said before John and Marissa left the tent. John looked at Marissa and Jessica. “I'll be right there. Just meet up with Lance.” The girls then left the tent, leaving the two men behind.

“What'd you need?” John asked.

“Well, Jessica and I were talking while I was fixing this and when we got on the subject of leaving this place, we started talking about what to do with Jaylin. We might need her for something. And when we get back in the colony, we'll lose communications with her. Entirely. But if one of us stays behind while the rest of us go home. Since I'm the only one that can fix it if it breaks again, I think I should stay behind.”

“Is this absolutely necessary? It's your home too. Not this place.”

“If we want our home back, yes. Now Jessica's against it but I can understand her reasoning. She wants us to be together when we head home. But, I told her that you and Marissa will keep an eye on her. Can you do that please, for me?”

“I will. Just be careful here. Ok?” John said extending his hand.

“You too. Don't know who you'll be able to trust in there. Also, when you get inside, call me. So I know she's safe.”

John shook Jerry's hand. “I promise. Good luck.”

John then got to the front of the community and the crowd that had formed. In the very front of the crowd was Jessica, Marissa and Lance with Jessica standing next to Marissa.

“Ladies and gentlemen! We're heading home!” John said. The crowd of only fifty cheered and cried as John told them the terrific news. “With the aid of Lance and the resistance, we're heading home and joining the fight against Ryan. This is ten months in the making. What we've sacrificed to get here was incredible but today, we make it worthwhile. Who we've lost, make sure they didn't die in vain. Now let's move!” John yelled at the people as he grabbed hold of Marissa and Jessica headed towards the entrance of the colony.

Jaylin was relaxing as she watched the sun begin to set as she played on her phone. She still couldn't believe what had happened in her first day of moving into her new apartment. It started out so normal. Walking into the building, meeting her neighbor Ryan, thinking she was so sweet. That was until she met the tiny people living under the dresser next to her bed. She still couldn't believe that not even a day here, she had already met the craziest bunch of people she's ever had the pleasure of meeting. The two couples have guided her through this time as she didn't know anything coming into this new environment.

She felt like was crazy believing that tiny people lived under her dresser and there was even more of their people in the wall apparently. That collection of tiny people was captured by her next door neighbor. But she had done even crazier things than help people less than a hundredth her size. For now, she was just doing a good deed for the smaller people that shared her room. She didn't mind though. To them, she was a goddess but not like they've experienced before. She kind and gentle towards them like she normally would be to other human beings.

She then dropped her phone on her chest and sighed. She then turned to her left and saw a blob of tiny people moving towards her bed. She got up a tiny bit and shifted her small body to face the group of people moving towards her bed. The group then stopped in its tracks and halted. Jaylin got closer to the group and saw it was lead, for the most part, by John. She saw his hand go up, signaling her to pick him up. She then lowered her arm and snatched him up from the group to hear what John had to say.

“John? Where you guys going?” Jaylin asked, curious as to why they were all leaving their home to go under her bed.

“We're leaving your room and heading back to the colony. We got a message from the other side of that wall.” John pointed to the wall behind Jaylin. He then got on one knee and put his right fist on Jaylin's soft skin. “We're not completely leaving you behind. Jerry volunteered to stay here with you and the long range comms.” John then saw Jaylin wipe her eyes with her other hand. “The rest of us will go in the wall and fight back against Ryan. We'll be right next door. Don't worry Jaylin. We'll be just fine. We'll be safe. I promise when this is all done, your life will be back to normal. You don't have to worry about anything about us anymore. We'll be out of you way.”

Jaylin cleared her throat and responded to John. “I was never bothered by you guys staying here. I could keep you guys safe from Ryan. You don't have to go back. I can protect you.” Jaylin sighed. “But if you have to, just be careful in there. Ok?” John stood up and bowed to Jaylin as a sign of respect.

“I promise.” John then signaled Jaylin to drop him back down on the floor with the others.

As soon as John was back on the floor, he got in front of the group, right in between Marissa and Jessica. “You two ready?”

“Ready as we'll ever be. Let's go.” Marissa said as he held John's hand to enter the entrance of the colony.