- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Ariel's arch in the overall story continues with a raid to grab very important plans.
Ariel and the resistance had been planning out the operation to infiltrate the science division of Ryan's regime for several hours. It was many hours of Ariel having to relearn the protocols that the original Rangers used as well as the individuals she would work with for the mission. She was all decked out in rebel armor with the logo that was hidden by a cloak also made to conceal her identity as Ryan's Number one.

The people were nice once they got passed the fact that she had been part of the regime that brutally oppressed them. Even Bruce, who had brought Ariel in the building by her hair hours before had been somewhat friends with her. Although she could still feel the tension between them, he wasn't dragging her across the floor. Mainly because if anyone touched her, they would be punished severely and personally by Christian who viewed her as an important asset.

"Attention!" Christian said over the loudspeaker. "Everyone to the center of the building." This brought everyone to the center of the building where Ariel had first saw the group of people. She followed the crowd and looked up to the platform to see Christian holding a microphone in his left hand.

"Today is the day brothers and sisters. Today is the day we start our fight against Ryan and her army of savages. For far too long, we've stayed in the shadows, biding our time to strike. Sure we've lost good people but we'll make sure they didn't die in vain." Christian inserted his blue card into a console that brought up a blue hologram of the ministry tower on the ceiling. "Bruce will lead the infiltration team to keep the guards off of Beta team. Beta will be lead by Ariel and I. Our job will be to get in, grab the data on the pill and whatever else will hurt the regime that has oppressed our friends, our families." The crowd started to cheer as Christian raised his glove covered hand in a fist in the air. "Today's the day!" Christian repeated again. "Let's go! Form into your teams and prepare for the worst." Christian then pulled his card out of the console and slide down the ladder to meet up with Ariel.

"Hell of a speech." Ariel greeted Christian as he slid down the ladder.

"Glad you liked it. Now let's get ready. Suit up and meet me in the basement." Christian said as he put on the War Priest mask from earlier. It still had the slight glow of small, green flames on the very top of it. The true markings of a War Priest.

"Don't want anyone to see us coming right? If you want to keep your identity a secret, I'd recommend you get one of these." Christian handed Ariel a black helmet with a white stripe going down the center of the helmet. Ariel instantly took the helmet from Christian and popped it on.

"Now come on. Bruce's team already left and we need to be ready." Christian said as he started to walk down some stairs leading to the basement. Ariel soon followed behind as some other men passed her and Christian. Christian then turned the corner to show Ariel a tunnel that had been burrowed into the wall. "You ready to go?" Ariel looked down the well light hallway. "It leads straight to the Ministry tower. We better hurry. Let's go!"

The building the resistance was heading for was the old Ministry building that had long since been rebuilt into the scientific building that made everything that Ryan needed. It was no longer the center of the colony that it used to be. Now when the colonists would see people go in, they wouldn't come out until weeks later. It was still white but the symbol of the colony from almost a year ago was replaced by the New Ranger symbol and above it was an artist's interpretation of Ryan's beautiful face peering down on the colony.

The tunnel that they were taking was another story. The tunnel had been hand carved out of the stone in the floor for the past five or six months by the volunteer regiment of the resistance, the ones that wanted to contribute in other ways other than fighting.

“How long till we get there?” Ariel asked, her voice being partially distorted due to the mask she was wearing.

“About a minute. You're not getting tired already are you?” Christian’s voice had a dark presence due to the War Priest mask he was wearing. He looked over to his right where Ariel was to see her keeping pace with him.

“You think being Ryan's number one means I sit on a throne with her?” Christian laughed a tiny bit. “I had to work all day with her. From the minute I wake up to the minute I'm back in the colony, my whole life is about her. I know what it takes to be one of you guys.”

“Ok chill out. I was just being sarcastic. No need to get all defensive.” Christian looked up and saw a green light above them on the ceiling. It was the signal for the infiltration team was starting to breach the building. “We'd better move. Bruce's team already started breaching.” Christian ran even faster as Ariel and the other eight people followed closely behind. “Double time!”

After thirty or forty seconds of running, the group of ten reached the basement of the building. Christian looked at his wrist and saw a message from Bruce. ‘Mission is a go. Code 348950.’ Christian nodded. “Let's move. We have ten minutes before the whole mission is a bust.” Christian turned around and kicked the metal door in, breaking the locks that prevented break ins. “Let's move!”

Ariel ran up to the front to stand next to Christian who was pushing the fighters into the building, giving them words of encouragement before they entered into unknown territory.

“Halt!” Christian shouted over the comms, causing the group to stop in their tracks. Christian then brought up a bright blue hologram of the building on the floor. “Right now, we're in the basement. Bruce's team is in the lobby fighting off the Rangers. The place where they make the shrinking devices is located on the fifth floor. We have about ten minutes from now to get up there, take the plans or whatever we can find. Whatever you can't grab hold on to, torch and burn We don't need a single thing left for them to rebuild upon. Got it?”

The squad nodded and continued towards the door. “You know the plan, get to it!” Christian said as he ran up to the door to kick it down. As soon as the door was kicked down, the entire squad rushed up the stairs and headed up to the fifth floor.

“Bruce, we are moving to the target floor. How's your team looking?” Christian said over the comms as he started to climb the stairs right next to Ariel.

“We've killed a few Rangers. But scouts are saying that there’s a group of heavies coming our way. Where's your team?” Bruce responded with some gunfire behind him.

“Third….fourth floor. Have your team secure the stairwell after you're done cleaning the lobby. Got it?”

“Understood sir. Moving up.” Bruce then threw a grenade into the group of four of Rangers. The grenade exploded with a brilliant explosion that filled the air with debris. It shook the building a tiny bit as if exploded as well. “Move up!” Bruce called out to the group.

“Sounds like Bruce brought some heavy weapons.” Ariel said, feeling the building shake a tiny bit.

“Nah, you just haven't known him long enough to know he always does this with ops.” Christian said, stopping in his tracks as he reached the fifth floor. He raised his hand in a fist to halt the team. “Get your masks ready. Make sure they don't come off. Especially you.” Christian pointed to Ariel. He then unclenched his fist and opened the door. Inside the room were bottles of strange fluids and even some smaller versions of the target. Christian stuck his head to look around inside. “Clear!” He yelled.

“Bastards must've cleared out as soon as they heard us.” One soldier said as he entered the room. “Or they heard the explosions and ran.” Christian said, stepping in front on the soldier.

The team followed close behind Christian as he ran to enter the room. “Grab everything related to the plan. Schematics, plans, anything worth having. Anything else, destroy.” Christian then grabbed a pile of blueprints and threw it in his bag.

Ariel left the team to explore her surroundings a tiny bit further. She left the rest of the team take the schematics on the tables but to her, she wanted to see what the rest of the floor was for.

After a few seconds of walking, she saw five metal doors with lite up buttons that were green and red. Near the center were windows that showed the light escaping the room. She then stuck her head in the window and saw a small figure in the corner of the room. At first she thought it was just a shadow but when she saw the figure move, she started pounding on the door.

“Hey Christian!” She called out. “Get over here! We've got some prisoners over here!” Ariel saw Christian stuff the last bit of schematics in his bag and ran over to where she was. Ariel then turned head to see the figure try and stand up as it heard the voices outside.

“Hello?” The figure had a feminine voice and as she turned around, Ariel saw that the woman was almost naked, only having a small piece of clothing that covered her breasts.

“Ms! Don't worry, we're here to help you.” Christian said, banging on the console to unlock the door with the butt of his rifle to get the young girl out.

“What's your name?” Ariel asked.

“C-C-Celeste. Please, you have to get me out of here! They've done horrible things to me and the others.” Celeste got up on but struggled to stay up.

“Don't worry, we'll get you and the others out. I promise Celeste.” Ariel said as Christian finally unlocked the door separating Celeste from freedom. As soon as the heavy metal door was open, Ariel ran inside and grabbed hold of Celeste’s merger frame. It was apparent that whatever the scientists were doing to her were awful.

“Celeste, where are the others?” Christian asked as he checked his watch to make sure they still had time for the mission. His watch read ‘5:34’. “Five and a half minutes left.” Christian said over the comms.

“They're in the rooms next to me. There's four others. Please get them out of there!” Celeste yelled as Christian got on the comms.

“Ariel, calm her down.” Ariel nodded her head and started to talk Celeste down. “Anyone who has a full bag, report to me. We got people to help.” Christian said as he grabbed his rifle and smashed the next console to the door next to Celeste. The door instantly opened.

“I got her sir.” A soldier said as he ran into the room to collect the other girl. Ariel brought Celeste out of the room and saw a label on the smashed console. “Misty. Is that the person who was next to you, Celeste?” Ariel asked as she passed her to another soldier.

“Yes. It's Misty, Whitney, Chloe and Mia. Please get them out of here. Please!” Celeste yelled to Christian as he busted all the consoles to the other doors.

“I can't thank you enough sir.” Misty said as she embraced the soldier who let her go.

“Come on ladies! We're getting you out of here.” Christian said as he helped one of the girls with the tag name of ‘Chloe’ around her neck.

“Thank you sir. You truly are the greatest thing we've seen in months.” Chloe said while she was in Christian's arms.

“It's no problem miss. It's what we do.” Christian said as he passed her on to a female soldier who brought her with the others.

Mia stumbled out of her room, alone as her friends which she shared the lab with, were being rescued from. She was weak from being fed low amounts of food so she instantly fell to to the ground. On her hands and knees, she felt her arms were very weak. She was about to collapse until she felt a pair of arms grab her and prevented her from completely going on the floor. She looked up at who caught her and she saw the guard who talked to her this morning.

“Allen?” She said weakly. She smiled as she realized that he had returned to rescue her from this imprisonment. But the longer she stared at the man who saved her. It wasn't Allen. Although she didn't get a single look at Allen's face earlier, his voice was instantly recognizable. But sadly for her, it was a rebel who just happened to be near her when she fell.

“I got you. Are you alright?” He said, slowly making sure Mia heard all his words. She nodded her head as she felt a pain in her head.

“Where are you taking us?” She asked.

“Away from here. Don't worry, you'll be safe.” The guard then brought her over to the stairs where her friends were being brought down

“You got everybody?” She asked, still cautious as she was brought to the stairwell.

“I'm sure. Your friends will be safe. I promise. You'll all be safe.” Ariel sounded in as she looked over at Mia. She couldn't take off her mask but she knew Mia trusted her.

“Markos? Get over to left side of the room ASAP. We've found something big.” A soldier said over the comms. She sounded like she had just seen a ghost with her voice sounding shocked and even some shivering.

“On my way Dare.” Christian then pointed to Ariel to meet up with him. “Describe your find to me.” Christian and Ariel then ran towards Dare, the female soldier.

“It's about twenty feet long and about five feet high. It's soft as well. It's also white. And it's the thing we've been looking for. It's Atheon. We've found it.” Dare said over the comms.

“So what's Atheon?” Ariel asked.

“It's the thing that you used to bring Destiny down. But it's been modified. Here we were, thinking it was just a rumor.” Christian then started to slow down as he approached Dare.

“Where is it?” Christian asked Dare. She turned around and pointed at it. The pill was a lot bigger than what Ariel remembered.

“Detach it and get it to the basement. Take the freight elevator. Should be plenty of room there. Got it?”

“Yes sir. Come on men!” Dare ordered the five men in her unit to gather up the package as Ariel and Christian left and headed for the stairwell.

Suddenly, the entire building shook with great force. It rocked the pair onto the ground.

“Bruce, what the hell was that?” Christian got up to his feet and brought Ariel up with him.

“Sorry sir. The reinforcements came a little earlier than expected. They're trying to smoke us out.” Bruce said. Christian ran to the stairwell and got in the doorway.

“Get to the basement faster! We're out of time!” Christian felt the building shake again.

“Christian, we've got tanks!” Ariel looked over to window and looked down and saw two green tanks and several infantrymen trying to enter the building.

“Don't worry. Bruce turned on the blast shield for the lobby. It'll take a little bit for them to break through.” The building shook again. “Now let's get out of here!” Christian ran to Ariel and grabbed her arm to bring her to the stairwell.

“What about the blast shield?” Ariel started heading down the stairs.

“That was them breaking it.” Christian followed close behind Ariel as they bolted down the five levels to get down the basement. “I didn't think they would bring tanks to a simple assault. I thought they would bring regular soldiers.”

“Can't always think things ahead. There could be variables no one can account for.” Ariel then reached the basement. They looked around for the girls and the soldiers escorting them.

“Echo, where are the girls?” Christian asked in a panicked manner.

Echo responded. “We're taking them to the base. Where they're safe.”

“That's good. Take care of them, we need to know what they were doing in the lab. Team is falling back now. ETA, two minutes.” Christian then yelled over the comms. “Dare, where's Atheon?” Christian and Ariel headed down to the basement and heard a bell ding behind them.

“Right here sir.” Dare said as she and a few others pushed the massive pill towards the entrance.

“Get it to base. We'll meet you there.” Christian ordered Dare. She nodded and headed towards the base.

“Bruce? Anyone out there?” Ariel said over the comms. She heard nothing but static and the occasional gunshots. She also heard shouting and machines beginning to roll on in.

“Ariel, they're gone. God damn Rangers got em. We've got to go back to base. Here.” Christian threw Ariel some explosives.

“Explosives?”

“We're gonna cover our tracks. Plus get a few Rangers in the process. Put one by the door, two on the entrance of the tunnel and one on the elevator. Can't be too sure you know.”

“Yeah.” Ariel then placed one explosive on the foot of the door, hearing shouting on the outside of the door she ignored the voices and went to the elevator. She threw it in the elevator and meet up with Christian who was at the tunnel entrance.

“Put one right here.” Ariel looked where Christian pointed and tossed a charge on a weak looking pillar. It stuck and Christian pointed to another pillar.

“You're sure this won't bring down the building on top of us?” Ariel asked as she threw the last charge she had onto the pillar.

“Shouldn't but if it does, we run that way as fast a possible. Plus it'll hurt Ryan's regime pretty bad when the only place that makes her shrink rays is gone. Just be prepared to run any way.” They then heard some footsteps coming towards them. “Run. I'll get the explosives.”

“You sure?” Ariel looked at Christian.

“Yeah. Now go.” Christian then pulled out a detonator and Ariel began to bolt down the tunnel as fast as she could.

After a few seconds of running, Ariel heard loud voices as well as some gunshots. Ignoring them, she continued to bolt down the hallway. Suddenly, she heard a loud explosion. Due to the loudness of it, she got on the ground. She then got on the comms and tried to call to Christian.

“Christian? Delta four, do you respond?” Ariel then felt the shockwave of the explosion. By now, it was a small breeze but she knew that it was much bigger where ground zero occurred.

“Ariel, what did I tell you? I told you to run.” She heard Christian on the radio. She then turned around and saw Christian coming from the site that the explosion occurred. “Run means to run to base.”

“How are you….”

“Here? I'll tell you later. Just involved killing a lot of Rangers and running for my life. Now come on, we've got business back home.”