- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Animation: http://fav.me/daruki0

 

Of all the embarrassing things Eli had experienced, shrinking in front of a pretty girl, practically a stranger, topped the list. Yet, for once, he didn’t feel embarrassed. Parker had never laughed at him because of his condition, nor did she make him feel self-conscious. Not even when she folded her hand on top of his.

“You’re so cold.”

She reached behind him and pulled him into a gentle side hug. Welcoming it like a steamy shower, he leaned against her — leg against leg, shirt against shirt, his head upon her shoulder. In response, her embrace tightened, like an organic blanket melting his inhibitions. He released a final shiver, took a deep breath of her vanilla scented hair, then exhaled, relaxing completely. Nothing in the world had ever felt so natural — so safe.

With her presence and heat overpowering the cold emptiness, he became able to focus on his shrinking this time. They both had their knees up. As the seconds ticked by, his knees fell below hers, his jeans wrinkling as he lost mass. As his head slid further down her shoulder, a stray blue lock of her mane tickled his descending cheek. The breath from her nostrils, like a summer breeze, shifted from his eyelids to his forehead.

Not saying a word, her arms wrapped further around him. As her relative surface area increased, so did her temperature. He’d never felt anything like it. She’d turned a horrible experience into something enjoyable, euphoric even. He found himself wishing to prolong the experience, even if it meant he’d get smaller. In fact, the idea shrinking with Parker holding him like this —

Such an incredible feeling. The room bulged for a moment as if reflected through a funhouse mirror, and he sighed deeply — intoxicated with the feeling of becoming less, of giving up some intangible burden, yet knowing he’d be safe. Knowing he’d be loved.

When his vision re-focused, his breath caught in his lungs. His legs had become so much smaller than hers, much more than what he’d expected. The frigid shrinking sensation had diminished, but his heart rate skyrocketed when he considered how much he’d shrunk.

“Shhhh. It’s ok.” Parker’s soothing voice had a calming effect. She didn’t release him, nor did he want her to. Her presence, as weird as it might seem, was the only thing keeping him sane at the moment.

He nuzzled his head against her shoulder. Or maybe it was her armpit. He didn’t care; even the slight smell of her sweat didn’t bother him. He just didn’t want her to let go. He wasn’t ready to face reality.

“So much smaller,” he said, trying to come to terms with the situation.

“I’ve got ya.” She moved her hand up and down his shins, creating a frictional warmth which radiated to his feet and thighs. “Do you think it’s over?”

“Maybe.” He probably was finished shrinking for now, but he wanted an excuse to be with her for another minute or two. “You said you had an embarrassing story.”

Soft laughter in her chest jostled his head. “Loads. Wanna hear one?”

“Yes.”

“Ok.” She took a deep breath and he listened to the air as it passed in and out of her lungs, then alighting upon his face with the scent of cinnamon. “When I was in fifth grade, I had really short hair. Honestly, I looked like a boy. The funny thing is, it didn’t bother me. For a long time, I thought I wanted to be a boy.”

“You did?” How could anyone confuse her for a boy? Even with her baseball cap and skater clothes, he’d barely consider her a tomboy.

“Yeh.”

“Why?”

She paused the hand massaging his shins. “Are you going to let me finish the story?”

He chuckled quietly. “Yes.”

“Ok.” She resumed her caress, for which he was thankful. “So, I looked like a boy. I even started going by my last name, Parker.”

“What’s your first — ”

“You’re interrupting.” She squeezed his leg , playfully, causing him to laugh again. “Ok. So the first day of school, I decided to use the boys’ restroom. I’d done it before a couple times at restaurants, and it was never a big deal. This time, I walk in and the stalls are filled.”

“Oh...so…” He considered her options. “You just wait.”

“Exactly. Except another boy walks in. He looks at me, then asks if I need to do number two.”

“Who would ask that?!”

“This kid apparently. Anyway, like a dummy, I say ‘no’.”

“What? Why did you say no?”

“Because, I was an idiot back then. Anyway, the kid looks at me, looks at the open urinals, looks back at me. All this time, I’m just turning red.”

He couldn’t contain a chuckle. “What did you do?”

“I ran out of there! Didn’t say a word. Neither did the kid. He looked at me strange for the rest of the week, but luckily, he moved away and I never saw him again. Lesson learned. I never went to the boys’ bathroom again.”

“Wow. That’s pretty good.”

“I got a lot more. Trust me.”

“So...what is your first name?”

“Natalie. But please never call me that.”

“Do you still want to be a boy?”

She sighed, leaning her head on top of his. “No, that was ages ago. But I’ll never be a girly girl. I’m just...me, I guess. I like to skate. I like some girls and some boys. Well...one boy.”

Wait. Did that mean she was bisexual? And more importantly...

“Who’s the one boy?”

“Well.” She scooted a bit further away and lifted his face to look into his eyes. “He has blond hair and a goofy smile that makes my heart skip. He’s terrible at skateboarding, but brave enough to try. He’s shy, always eating lunch alone where he thinks no one can see him.”

“Wait. How do you know where I eat lunch?”

“Who says I’m talking about you?”

“Oh.” Ouch.

“Of course I’m talking about you.” Her impish smile instantly healed the pain of her joke. “I found out you had the same lunch period as me. So I followed when you got out of class and noticed you went to the library instead of the cafeteria. I know. I sound like a stalker. I promise I’m not, I just wanted to eat lunch with you. Then I realized I’d never seen you in the cafeteria.”

“Oh, why didn’t you say hi to me in the library.”

“Because then you probably would think I was a stalker.”

“Hmm.” He smiled. “Yep. You’re definitely a stalker.”

“Hey!” She pushed him, nearly toppling him.

“I’m joking!” He sat back up and wanted to get closer to her again but didn’t know how. The conversation had become awkward.

She blushed, her cheeks turning bright pink. “I probably shouldn’t have told you all that. I just...I felt safe telling you things. I’m sorry if it freaked you out. I’m kinda wierd.”

“I don’t think you’re weird.” He took hold of one of her hands, the one with the most ink markings, noticing how much larger hers was. He turned it over and lay his free hand against hers, making it obvious how her fingers extended almost a full digit beyond his.

“I shrank a lot.”

“So.” She interlocked her long fingers with his.

“It sucks.” He sighed. “The day I meet a girl like you is the same day I shrink the most. Pretty soon — ”

“What do you mean a girl like me?”

“Um.” He looked up and her eyes locked on his. He swallowed, blood rushing through his veins like a locomotive. “A girl that I like.”

Her smile grew almost imperceptibly. She leaned forward, closer to his face. Was she going to kiss him? He should be the one kissing her, but he couldn’t move a muscle. Suddenly, as if he’d finally regained control of his body, his head spasmed forward. His lips pressed into hers hard, too hard. They bumped heads and separated.

He stared at the floor, mortified that he’d ruined his first kiss with this girl. He didn’t notice her hand lifting his chin up as she came in for a second attempt. This time their lips met perfectly, hers covering his for a few seconds that seemed like minutes. After she pulled away, she bit her bottom lip.

“You’re worried I won’t like you when you shrink.” She moved her thumb across the back of his hand like a windshield wiper.

He nodded, too confused by the rush of emotions to think straight. He’d never been this open with someone before.

“Why?” she asked.

He shrugged. “Girls like taller guys. Someone that can protect them. Plus I’ll be really, really small. If people saw me as your boyfriend — ”

“You want to be my boyfriend?”

He nodded. “Yes, but — ”

“Then ask me.”

He could almost see the smirk returning to her face. Was she joking? He had no idea what he was doing. When he’d started dating Zoey years ago, it had all gone so slowly. This was something else entirely, but it felt so right. He’d never been so light headed, so giddy with excitement.

“Will you be my girlfriend?”

A hypnotic smile grew on her angelic face.

“Yes.”

Too good to be true. He had to question it, a metaphorical pinch to his consciousness. “Even though people will think — ”

“Eli, I have blue hair, a nose ring, and I dress like a boy. Do you think I care what other people think?”

He hadn’t noticed her nose ring — a simple diamond stud on her left nostril. He’d seen it but it seemed like such a part of her that it didn’t register.

He shook his head.

“Like I said, I’m not a girly girl. I definitely don’t need a guy to protect me. And I know exactly how small you’ll get. It doesn’t bother me. In fact it’s kinda”—she paused, blushing, then continued in a softer tone—”There are lots of relationships between normals and premies.”

“But, pretty soon I’ll be too small to be alone. We won’t be able to hang out.”

“I’ll just volunteer as a watcher, for lunch and after school activities. It doesn't matter that we’re in different grades. I got held back a year so I’m probably older than you anyway.”

“How old are you?”

“Fourteen. Birthday is April 1st.”

“Whoa.”

“Yeh, it’s no fun having a birthday on April Fools’.”

“No, I mean, you’re birthday’s only two days before mine.”

“Nice.” She chewed on the side of her bottom lip. For a fleeting moment, his eyes focused on her canines, simultaneously cute and threatening.

He returned his attention to her intense gaze. “So, it really doesn’t bother you...that I’ll be a lot smaller than you?”

“No. Does it bother you that I’ll be a lot bigger than you?”

“Well yeh...but…” He sorted through his recent memories. “When you hugged me, it felt really good, like I just wanted to keep shrinking for some reason. I felt safe and protected, like you’d never leave me even though I’d only just met you. Part of me wanted to get smaller in your arms to increase that feeling.”

“You’re so...honest.”

He reddened furiously and turned to the rows of books, reading the titles in his head. Meltdown, The Midnight Fox, The Midwich Cuckoos —

Her hand touched the side of his left jaw and angled his head toward her encroaching face. Before he could react, her soft lips met his in perfect union. In all their years of being ‘together’, he’d only kissed Zoey twice, and only once on the lips. So when Parker’s tongue pressed against his lips, demanding entrance, he parted them purely out of instinct. He didn’t expect her to continue...

Pressing.

Reflexively, his head jerked back, but her hand cupped the base of his skull, preventing movement in the opposite direction. Trapped, he surrendered to the invading muscle as it traversed his teeth and slid across his own tongue. A tingling sensation crashed into him like a tsunami, washing away his fight-or-flight response. His brain went offline and he gave in completely. Her tongue writhed, exploring his oral cavity. Supernovas of pleasure detonated throughout his body.

Part of his brain, the minor part that still somewhat functioned, told him to reciprocate. He pressed his tongue past her lips and touched her teeth briefly before she pushed back even stronger, invading his mouth once again. Their breathing escalated together. He inhaled her sweet exhalations as if depending upon her for life support.

When they finally separated, he was literally panting and her face was flush with color. They couldn’t keep kissing or else he’d explode or faint or something bad would happen. Was that even a kiss? It felt more like, something amazing, definitely more than a kiss.

“I...uh…” He tried to place his arms over his baggy pants in such a way as to hide his body’s reaction. If she noticed, she didn’t point it out. Thank goodness.

“Um.” She pressed her lips together, looking simultaneously demure and excited. “Mom will be here soon to pick me up.”

Whew. He didn’t want her to leave but, then again, he couldn’t trust himself at the moment.

“How are you getting home?” she asked.

“Uh…” He couldn’t form words. Why couldn’t he talk?

Her smile returned full force. “Where do you live?”

“Brooklyn avenue.”

“Seriously? That’s really close. We live on Withdean road. Wanna ride?”

“Sure. Ok.” He took a deep breath, and attempted to collect his thoughts.

“Looks like your arm healed up. I read shrinking has that effect.” Her fingertip traced over the dried blood, reigniting electric tingles.

He pulled his sleeve down, desperate to escape her touch for a few minutes. If he didn’t, he doubted he’d be able to walk straight. He started to stand, but quickly returned to a sitting position, realizing that his pants were comically big.

“Here.” She reached over, then tightened his belt as far as it would go. Once again, he found himself thankful for the bagginess. “Ok, now stand up.”

He stood and his pants hung lopsided, but they remained in place. Luckily, his t-shirt hung so low, no one would notice. Parker removed his now oversized shoes and rolled up the cuffs of his jeans as if it was something she’d done a hundred times before. She then pulled off his dangling socks, stuffed them in the shoes, and put them in his backpack.

“Perfect.” When she finally stood, he took a step back, alarmed. The top of his head probably only reached her shoulders, at most. For her part, she looked down at him as he hadn’t changed in the slightest.

“Let’s go.” Skateboard under one arm, she held out her free hand. Did she really expect to hold hands in public? On second thought, who cared? If it didn’t bother her, it shouldn’t bother him.

He lifted his heavy backpack onto his shoulders and took her hand.

“Want me to take that?” she asked, nodding to his backpack.

“I got it.” He wasn’t completely helpless, at least not yet. “Thanks.”

“Just let me know if it gets too heavy.” She started moving and he speed walked to keep up. The exercise, more strenuous due to the weight on his back, helped him to cool down mentally. When they finally reached the parking lot, his body’s ‘excitement’ had returned to more normal levels, though still elevated, as merely holding her hand triggered his libido.

“Is it too hot?” she asked as his feet touched the warm asphalt.

“No. It’s ok.”

“Good cuz you’re still a little too big for me to carry.”

“Oh. Yeh.” What could he say? She really didn’t seem afraid to say what was on her mind. Perhaps that’s why he opened up to her so much earlier.

She gave his hand a gentle squeeze and they continued walking. Of the boys, only Nick remained, and he skated toward them.

“Holy shit dude.” Nick braked with the back of his board. “You shrank a fuck ton. You look like an elementary school kid.”

“And you look like an asshole.” Parker stepped ahead of me, standing between me and her brother.

Nick squinted at his sister, the sun reflecting off his glasses. “Why are you holding his hand?”

“Because I’m his watcher.”

“He ain’t small enough to have a watcher yet. Though he’s gettin’ pretty close.”

“I’m also his girlfriend.”

“Bullshit. In the last thirty minutes, you’re suddenly his girlfriend?” He spit on the ground and eyed them. “You ain’t allowed.”

“You had your first girlfriend at fourteen.”

“That’s different. I’m a guy.”

“You’re an idiot.”

“We’ll see what Dad thinks about it.”

I’ll tell him when I’m ready,” she spoke coolly.

Nick frowned. “What if he asks me why you’re hangin out?”

“Tell him I’m Eli’s watcher. It’s the truth.”

Nick glared at Eli, then removed his glasses, pocketing them. “I’m going to kick your ass little dude.”

Eli took a step back but she held onto his hand, then pulled him beside her. “He’s joking.”

Regardless, Nick was a giant, easily over a foot taller than Eli. He’d done well at feigning bravery most of the day, but he stood no chance in a fight with someone of that size. None whatsoever.

“If you hurt my little sister, I’ll kill you.” Nick grabbed the neck of Eli’s t-shirt. “Don’t think for a second I won’t hit a — “

Parker whacked him in the side with her skateboard, causing him to release Eli’s shirt.

Nick stepped back, laughing while rubbing his side. “You should’ve seen the look in his eyes! I bet he pissed his pants.”

She raised her skateboard over her head and Nick took off, heading straight for the ramp and nearly falling after laughing so hard.

“Ignore him.”

“What about your dad?”

“Nothing to worry about.”

She didn’t elaborate and he didn’t question further. She knew her own family a lot better than he did after all.

It wasn’t long before a car arrived — a station wagon, white with wood paneling, most likely built prior to his birth. The heavyset woman behind the wheel, aside from her casual attire, looked nothing like Parker. She wore her brown hair in a messy bun. Large, round sunglasses adorned her jovial face.

“Hey Mom!” Parker opened the back door, removed my backpack, and tossed it into the spacious rear area along with her own backpack and skateboard. “This is Eli. He needs a ride home.”

“Hey there Eli!” Her mom sounded happy, almost too happy, like she’d just recovered from a laughing fit. “You can call me Dorothy, or Mrs. D, whichever you like.”

“Hello, ma’am.” He wasn’t sure he felt comfortable calling her by either name, both a little too informal.

Parker got in first. She swiped trash to the floor and covered some weird pedestal on the front armrest with a black cloth. Then she patted the seat beside her. “Come on in.”

He sat next to her and tugged on the door, but it didn’t move.

“It sticks.” Parker reached across and pulled it closed. She gave him a smile and rested her hand on his knee.

Mrs. D’s eyes drilled into me from the rearview mirror. “Aren’t you just the cutest — ”

“Mom!” Parker punched the back of the driver’s seat.

Mrs. D giggled, a sound he didn’t expect to hear from an adult. “Where you headed sweetheart?”

“Um, 1802 Southwest Brooklyn Avenue.”

“Ohhh, that’s not far at all. How old are you, if you don’t mind me asking?”

“He’s fourteen, Mom. He’s got the shrink gene. Now can we stop with the twenty questions?”

“It’s ok,” Eli said. “Really. I don’t mind.” Parker didn’t have to defend him all the time. He enjoyed it to an extent, but her mom wasn’t being mean.

“Well, I am a little nosy sometimes.” She fixed her makeup in the mirror. “Honey, did you tell him about your father and your —”

“Mom!”

“Ok. Ok.” She curled her eyelashes with some metal thing and blinked a few times.

Parker cupped her hand to my ear and whispered. “My family's a little weird. I promise I’ll tell you more about them tomorrow.” He almost missed what she said, so distracted by her warm breath against his face.

“Where’s you’re good-for-nothing brother?” Mrs. D. stuck her head out the window and practically screeched. “Nicolas! Get your skinny ass in here right now before I beat the crap out of it!”

Whoa. She’d gone from happy to terrifying in the blink of an eye. He did not want to upset this woman.

“Almost had my kickflip down!” Nick hopped into the front seat of the car, still holding his skateboard. “Couldn’t ya wait another minute?”

Mrs. D went nuts. She reached over and hit her son several times in the chest, punctuating her words with each backhand. “No — I — couldn’t — wait — another — minute.”

Nick burst into laughter and grabbed her arm, preventing her from striking again.

“Let go of my arm, else I’m going to knock you upside the head.” She raised her purse in her other hand. This woman was crazy. Like batshit crazy. What had he gotten himself into?

“Ok! I’m sorry!” He released her arm, but defended his face with his hands. “Did you meet Eli?”

“Of course I met Eli.” Mrs. D calmed considerably when she spoke his name. “Unlike you, he has manners.”

“Did he tell you he’s Parker’s boyfriend?” Nick asked, half chuckling.

“You asshole!” Parker reached forward and smacked Nick across the side of the head.

He merely ducked in his seat, still laughing.

“Aww, honey.” Mrs. D looked back at us, something resembling pity in her makeup-entrenched eyes, but not quiet. “When your dad finds out — “

“No one is telling Dad!” Parker’s hand trembled on his knee and she seemed on the verge of tears. “I’m serious, if either of you says a word…”

Eli slipped his fingers between hers, hoping to make her feel better.

Nick finally stopped laughing and Mrs. D spoke. “Honey, your dad — “

“I’ll tell him!” Parker’s words were choked. “Just not today. Can we please just drive and stop talking about this? Eli probably already thinks my family’s crazy — ”

“I don’t.” He lied. Well, half lied. Something about Mrs. D’s antics, while nuts, appealed to him. She certainly wasn’t boring. At her core, she seemed to be a good person.

“I think I see why you like this boy.” Mrs. D winked while Nick made retching noises in the front seat. Parker turned her head so her face couldn’t be seen.

The drive itself was uneventful. Mrs. D had the radio tuned to some pop station and Parker exchanged her phone number with Eli. They didn’t talk much, but her close proximity and the touch of her fingers on his palm provided more than enough communication, a wordless current of sensation that he didn’t want to end.

It did end, however, after he stepped out of the car onto the driveway of his house. She handed him his backpack and waved as he walked to the front door. In spite of his uncertainty about her family, watching her go pulled strings in his chest that he didn’t know existed. Strings that reached from him to her, closing together like stitches, as if they’re attracting power alone could stop the car from departing.

Unfortunately, the car continued moving and some strange wound inside of him felt exposed.

He pretended to knock on the front door, but as soon as the car had disappeared from view, he ran around to the back of the house. He had no desire to face his sisters anytime soon. They’d freak out over how much he’d shrunk and he’d rather postpone the encounter. He just wanted to text Parker and remember her touch...her kiss.

The rough grass scratched his ankles, reminding him that he’d need to mow soon, something he hadn’t done since last year. Then again, mowing would be a lot more challenging at his current height, and if he shrank any further, it would be impossible. Who would mow it then? Ally certainly wouldn’t do it every week, nor did he want her to. It wouldn’t be fair. He’d have to figure something out.

He bounded up the steps of the elevated deck, wincing as an exposed nail head dug into his heel. Hopefully Winter had found a pair of shoes to fit his current size, whatever that may be. The Converse in his backpack were size eight, so maybe seven or six.

After opening the screen door, he cupped his hands around his eyes and peeked into the kitchen through the rear door window. Enough light remained to make it difficult to see inside, but not impossible. His sisters were nowhere to be seen and his mother wouldn’t be home for another hour, as it was only just after five. The coast appeared to be clear.

He unlocked the back door and opened it slowly, careful to let the screen door close without banging against the frame. They had the television on, The Walking Dead, Ally’s favorite show. He couldn’t stand the show, but at least it meant Winter would probably be in the living room with her as she couldn’t stand being alone. He shut the back door, released the knob, and locked it ever so slowly.

The couch sat facing the main living room window, parallel to the hallway leading to his room. If they were actually watching the television, their faces would be pointing away from the hallway. Regardless, he wouldn’t need much time to escape into his room.

He tiptoed to the edge of the kitchen’s linoleum. As soon as his feet touched carpet, he took a sharp left and bolted down the hallway. Unfortunately, his rolled-up pant leg had descended and he tripped, landing hard on his chest, the full weight of his backpack coming down on top of him.

“Eli?” Ally called from behind. “Is that you?”

“Eli’s back?” Winter’s voice brimmed with excitement, enough to send a surge of adrenaline through his body.

Like a contortionist, he slithered from his backpack and, unburdened, speed crawled into this room. Then, he slammed the door and locked it just before the knob turned on it’s own accord.

“Eli, what’s going on? Where have you been?” Ally knocked on the door. “Open up.”

“Open, open, open.” Winter’s fists pounded, rhythmically, a bit lower on the door.

“I’ll be out in a while.” He emptied his pockets onto his desk, and hid the joints at the back of his secret drawer. The drawer wasn’t really a secret, but no one would check that far back as it didn’t pull out far enough. They’d literally have to be searching for something, and they had no reason to suspect him of stashing marijuana. Considering how awesome the day had turned out, he even considered disposing of it. He probably would as soon as he got the chance.

“I know you didn’t go to music club,” Ally said. “Where the heck were you? You didn’t answer any of my texts.”

He checked his phone. She’d sent him eight text messages, all variations of: Where are you?, How are you getting home, I’m telling Mom, etc.

“I was just hanging out with some friends.” He dropped his pants and boxers, easy to do as they barely clung to his waist. He pulled the boxers back up, but without his belt, they threatened to slide off his hips at any moment. Thankfully his t-shirt offered a modicum of modesty.

“You can’t just hang out.” Ally had stopped knocking, but someone’s fingernails, probably Winter’s, clawed at the door. “You never know when you’re going to shrink again.”

“I shrank. I’m fine.” He dug through pile of clean clothing on the floor. “I could use some smaller clothes tho.”

“Ohmigosh you got smaller!” The clawing stopped and Winter’s fingers appeared in the space beneath the door. She managed to stick her entire hand through, up to the wrist. “Let me see! Let me see!”

He walked to the door and stepped lightly on her hand, expecting her to say ‘Eeewwwww’ and withdraw it. Instead, her hand closed around his foot like a bear trap.

“Wow! Your foot’s so small!”

He wrenched his foot away and held out his hand just over hers, noticing they were about the same size, his being somewhat smaller. Wonderful. Now he really didn’t want to open the door.

“This is ridiculous.” Ally sounded annoyed. “I’m telling Mom. You can’t just do anything you want anymore Eli, especially not without a watcher.”

“I’m not under four feet yet.” He knew the basic rules of premie supervision. “Besides, I have a watcher.”

“What? That’s impossible.” A trace of concern entered Ally’s voice. “Who is it?”

“Just find me some clothes so I can get dressed. Some shoes too please.”

“How can we find you clothes if you won’t let us see you?” Ally asked.

“I don’t know. Just” —he glanced at Winter’s wriggling fingers—“I’m probably about Winter’s size now.”

“Ohmigosh omigosh! Let me in! Let me in!” Winter’s other hand jutted through the opening, this one palm down. The temporary tattoo of a butterfly on her skin contrasted with her zombie like clawing motions.

“No way.” Ally sounded surprised. “You’d have to shrink...seven inches at least.”

“Well...yeh. I’m not thrilled about it. But I’d rather not be naked all day please.”

Ally sighed. “Fine. Winter, go find him something to wear.”

“Got it!” She pulled her hands away, back under the door.

“Nothing pink!” he said.

“I know!” Winter’s voice sounded more distant.

His phone buzzed. A message from Parker: Now u know how insane my fam is. He smiled and texted back: Wait till u meet my fam.

“We definitely need to film another episode today,” Ally said.

“I’m taking the night off.”

“Eli, you’re up to eighty-two subscribers. Your channel is growing so fast. You can’t just take a night off, especially when you’re shrinking practically every day.”

“I’m in a good mood, Ally. I really don’t want to spoil it.”

“Why are you in a good mood? I thought you hated shrinking.”

“I...met someone.” He slid down, back against the door, and sat, staring at his phone.

“Who?” When he didn’t respond, she repeated. “Eli, who were you hanging out with?” After another pause, she asked, “It wasn’t Parker, was it?”

“Wait. How did you know?”

“Eli!” Something banged against the door. “You can’t hang out with her. She’s...psycho. She asked me which lunch period you had today. I shouldn’t have told her.”

“She’s not psycho. You don’t even know her.”

 “She’s a gender confused scene kid. Nobody likes her.”

“Screw you, Ally!”

“Hold up. She didn’t ask you out did she? Eli, please tell me you’re not interested in her.”

“She’s my girlfriend.”

“What! She is not your girlfriend.”

“Eli has a girlfriend?!” Winter’s voice chimed from another room.

“I cannot believe she asked you out. Eli, you don’t know her. She’s bad news.”

“Stop being so fucking judgemental.”

“Hey! I’m just trying to protect you here. She’s not a good person, and you’re way too gullible. There’s no way I’m letting this continue.”

“Ally, if you do anything, I promise I’ll never speak to you again.”

“Did you even wonder why she never talked to you before today? The same day she found out you have the shrink gene. Did she tell you her father is a premie? Her cousin, Haley, is a premie. Did she tell you that?”

The news stunned Eli, but he’d never side with Ally on this one, not in a million years. “Leave me alone.”

“She’s got a weird thing for premies. Everyone in our class knows it. She’s probably the reason why Haley left. She’s just going to hurt you, Eli.”

“Leave me alone!”

“Fine!” She kicked the door. “But don’t say I didn’t warn you!”

“Fine!” he yelled as she stomped away.