- Text Size +

The golden roof of the Capital building in Atlanta, Georgia gleamed in the distance. Hannah had no problem seeing it from where she stood. The only problem was that she was taller than the any building in the city, and she was only getting larger. For the last half hour the US military had tried their very best to destroy her but with no success. Instead they had leveled most of southern Atlanta and the area around the baseball stadium.

She was not advancing to the north but that didn’t matter any more. The shots had been fired and her nation was at war with her. She had swatted several airplanes down when they had flown to close. She didn’t want to hurt any one but they were buzzing around her head like gnats at a picnic.

Missiles’ had been fired at her and exploded when they hit her and while they stung her they had no real effect. The Tanks and men on the ground had fired on her non stop and more than a few had paid with their lives.

Hannah really didn’t know what to do. It just didn’t seem like she was going to stop growing. Even if she didn’t move the little people where going to keep fighting her. So she began moving north. She would stick to the interstate and she would just walk to her home in Cassville, Ga. It was about seventy or so miles from where she was but with her long strides she could be there soon.

She didn’t know what good it would be to go home but she knew that she wanted to go there and these people were no longer going to stop her. She tried to tell them what she was doing and her voice shattered glass with it being so loud. When she began walking north the fighting against her picked up. Really it wouldn’t matter she thought. “I won’t attack them I won’t swing at their planes or step on their vehicles I will just walk home and when I get there I will just sit down and rest and figure out what is next.”

She grew larger and heavier with each passing mile. Still they fired away at her. More planes swooped down on her. Rocket launchers moved in and began firing. Nothing even slowed her down. After about twenty miles she was getting away from the urban sprawl that Atlanta is famous for and just as quickly planes stopped flying over and the military vehicles all pulled away. She was long on her walk. She couldn’t tell if people where still left in the area where she was walking. She hoped that this meant they were going to leave her alone and just let her go home.

As she walked further north she began to notice that her weight was destroying the ground with every step she took. She could feel her foot get kind of stuck in the ground like she was walking in mud only she wasn’t walking in mud she was walking on dry land. She began to notice that she was leaving crater-sized footprints with every step. She was easily the largest moving thing to every walk upon the earth and she was also the heaviest. For a moment she thought about tip toing the last thirty miles but she doubted that would make any real difference. She hated tearing up the road and ground the way she was but she couldn’t help it. Honestly one foot was bigger than the entire width of I-75. To her it had stopped being a road so much as just a trail.

She was getting tired and hungry and she wasn’t sure how much further she needed to walk. All that she knew for sure any more was that she wasn’t being shot at, and that she had not seen another living soul in a long while.

What she didn’t know and could have no way of guessing was that when she had broken the containment area south of Atlanta she had given the President no other choice but to order the first nuclear air strike on US soil ever.

At the very moment she thought she would be home soon, she heard an airplane flying very fast and very high above her. She looked up and saw it. A stealth bomber was directly overhead. She wondered if that was how they were going to keep an eye on her so no one else got hurt at ground level. It made good sense at least to her. They could keep their distance and see what she was up to without having anyone get hurt.

When she lowered her head from the plan she caught the glimpse of something in her eye moving to fast to see and to her enormous eyes to small to register. Whatever it was hit her like a ton of bricks. Then the world exploded. She was on fire. She watched as everything around her almost disintegrated in an instant.  She couldn’t help but think as she fell “the bastards nuked me.”

All around the globe the world breathed a sigh of relief as they saw the giant woman fall stuck down by a nuclear weapon several times more powerful than anything that had ever been used before. Most of the southeast would be a wasteland for generations but at least Hannah was down and the country would have a future.  Then after a moment it struck home that the greatest super power on the planet had just nuked one of their own people and destroyed a huge part of their country to try and save the world. It was a very sobering fact for everyone even America’s enemies had to take notice.

That last for all of five minutes and was ended when Hannah got back to her feet and started walking again. The ultimate weapon and show of might had failed. Hannah was large and pissed. Her target had changed from going home and trying to figure out what to do next to destroying as much of the world as she could before there wasn’t anything left to destroy.

The President and the rest of the world had to make a decision drop more nukes on this giant or accept their fate? Sometimes there are no grand solutions or even good one. It seemed like this was one of those times. So with a phone call the President of the United States gave the order and within seconds multiple nukes were in the air and on their way to the target. No one was sure how much she could take. No one was sure how many the earth could take.

The biggest question being debated hotly on the squawk boxes around the world were. Who would cause more damage Hannah or the US military? That remained to be seen but the world would have it’s answer soon, but would anyone like the answer when it came?

Hannah figured that more would have to follow the one and so she did the only thing that came to her teenage mind. She began running from the spot where she stood. To her she figured that if she could move faster than they could evacuate people she could get to a city and have the attacks on her halted at least that way. She just wanted the chance to get to Washington D.C. and confront her enemy.