- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

A rather slow chapter, it'll be worth it.

I wanted to start a story where tinies are literally treated like bugs, so expect that kind of reaction and action. I'm also thinking about how a bug would actually navigate the world and interact. I think this'll be a good experiment.

Do you like the "zoom out" to describe what the giant is doing, or should I remove that? Please tell me in the reviews!

////

"Julia!" Kim called out into the distance. "Julia! Where are you?" It had been several hours since she'd woken up to find her best friend missing. They'd taken refuge under the shade of a rock for the night, but when she'd woken up she'd found herself in the middle of the tall grass with Julia nowhere to be found.


"Julia!" Kim called out again. It was no use, Julia was definitely not in the backyard anymore. She stood and tried to figure out her position, she had to find a better vantage point, and she scanned the tall grass for something. Aha! She could climb the rock. Kim quickly ran over to the side of an upturned rock, its side lined with dirt - this rock must've been in the floor for a while before something pulled it out. She scaled the rock with ease - after so many months at this size she'd gotten used to rock climbing.

When she got up, she was finally able to see the surrounding area. In the distance was several thousand blades of grass, going up to the beginning of what seemed to be a white painted wooden step to a much larger white painted deck. On the deck she could see a bright red chair, a table of sorts, and a grill setup as well as the glass sliding door to an enormous house. If Julia had gone anywhere, well, that would be the perfect place to start looking.

Kim was, like most tinies, not too keen on walking directly into a giant's house. Giant's, that is, normal sized humans, were well known to treat tinies with extreme prejudice. If she wasn't crushed on site, Kim knew she would likely end up wishing she was.

She got off the rock and began making her way towards the step. By the time she'd gotten to the step, the humid summer weather had began taking its toll, and Kim was starting to feel thirsty. But she couldn't stop now, Julia needed her. She started scanning the area for a climbable area, when she noticed the crude etchings of a makeshift etched ladder. Other tinies, other than her and Julia, had definitely been here before. Hopefully they'd also made it out. Kim gripped on to the worn climbable surface, to a normal sized human this wasn't exactly the most obivous climbing surface, but for a tiny it was a well known technique to make grooves in the wall, and Kim quickly scaled the wall.

When she reached the top, Kim was greeted with the dry expansive white painted wood surface. It was not rough under her bare feet, it was relatively new paint, less than a few years old, and hadn't had the opportunity to splinter out again. She eyed the glass door, unable to see beyond it thanks to fact that it was not flush with the ground but actually raised around a half a foot, as well as the sun glare and screen behind it making it impossible to see anything, she just hoped that the coast was clear. Walking across the expansive desert of wood and unshaded by the grass she was accustomed to, Kim was subjected to the full force of the hot summer sun and she began to crave refreshment. Hopefully it'd be more conditioned inside the house. By the time she reached the bottom of the door, she was parched.
Kim looked up, she had reached the foot of the door and had to find something to climb on. Scanning along the white wall, she noticed a faint set of ridges marking another ladder. She ran to it, and as she approached she noticed the ridges were worn and out of shape, she could still make due and climb, but it would be tricky. She slowly began to climb the wall, carefully, she'd have to be very, very, careful. She'd just about reached the top, her head and chest over the ridge, when she suddenly froze. In the distance, she heard a single thud.

Tessie had just gotten out of the shower and was sipping a nice cup of fresh lemonade. The AC had busted in her room, and she was sweating in the summer heat. Her white sundress was beginnning to stick to her bare legs, and her nimble toes slapped against the hard wood floor with each sticky step. She liked the summer, but not when she couldn't escape it. Her typically pale white complexion was beginning to red, and her jet black pixie cut hair glimmered in the sun, her bangs idly swaying above her large crystal blue eyes. She was a small girl by most standards, only about 5'3'', and her fickle irish body was simple not built for 90 degree weather. Still, she thought, she ought to sit on the deck. Hopefully there'd be at least a bit of wind, if not just fresh air, and some shade too. Grasping the lemonade glass in her left hand, she slid the screen door open, took a step forward, and grasped against the glass door. With one swift motion she pulled it open and was immediately assaulted with a gust of hot air. She sighed.

Kim had no time to react before the slide door was immediately swept out of view and for the first time she could see inside the house. But that didn't grab her attention, what grabbed her attention was the massive, thick, bare foot. Each white toe gripping on to the hardwood interior, pressed deep in to the ground. Kim knew what was coming next as she felt the subtle wind of the giant other foot drop down beside her on to the white deck below. She yelped as the other foot raised slightly and dropped down with a sudden pounce right in front of her as a reflex action to the change of body weight. The sudden movement startled her and she let go, falling to the floor face up. Her back ached as she saw a clean giant sole pass over her, the whole sky blotted out by the sudden shadow overhead and she shook as the floor board adjusted to accept the new weight as the colossal structure landed on the ground. Kim quickly got up, and hugged the wall as the foot tilted itself slightly as the giant gently turned around. She heard the door slide and click closed, and Kim softly cursed under her breath - there wasn't going to be a way in until she came back.