- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

 

Divine Punishment

My eyes are still watering and my head throbs as a loud whistle in my left ear makes it hard for me to focus. I feel itches all along my body. I intellectually know what has happened. I’ve just been bombed with hundreds if not thousands of nuclear warheads. Some of them have actually been detonated inside me. Someone else might have been happy to survive an attack such like this. But not me. I accepted my godhood and my invulnerability long ago. And, under those circumstances, the mere thought of having been attacked and having felt pain is outrageous.

I’m standing in the bay, facing an utterly devastated and, but I can see their cities and infrastructure not too much behind. I’m furious at them. And they are going to pay for it.

The fact that I cannot see them does not mean that there are not thousands of cameras trained on me from everywhere along the coast, of course. I want them to follow me. And I want them to see what I have in store for them.

“YOU WILL NOW LEARN WHAT A TRUE GODDESS IS” I say.

I bet no one know what I’m talking about. I resolve their doubts soon enough. Placing my hands on my hips and pushing my chest out to look as imposing as possible, I focus and feel my skin stretching shortly after. The world is about to see the biggest version of me yet.

I’ve known for a while that I can not only control my height but also the pace of my growth. I find a balance at a point where my expansion will be noticeable enough for everyone but where I’ll make it last a while. I want them to have enough time to realize what’s going on, enough time to think about how their little world is about to get rocked in an even wilder way.

I need to grow more often, I reflect. The pleasure waves it sends along my body are quite similar to those of an orgasm. And I can make this one last much longer. Seeing how the landscape starts changing, getting smaller and farther away, is amazing. Somehow it feels as if I were on a spaceship being launched from Earth and looking down, only my two feet are still firmly planted on the ground. And I’m being accurate when I saw that. I had formerly been in the ocean, wading the waters off the East Coast of the United States. But growing is not only making me taller but it’s also making me take some more place on the surface, so my toes have reached the coast for some time and are plowing their way into Maryland or Delaware. I never cared too much about geography, so I don’t know for sure. 

I have no intention of stopping my growth yet, so I just keep my commanding pose and keep my focus into keeping my expansion. Soon I start seeing the curve of the Earth and the sky starts turning darker, even if the land is as well illuminated as ever.

“WOW” I say aloud.

And I keep growing.

By the time I think I’ve probably reached a height with inspires enough awe I must be a hundred miles tall. A hundred miles! 

God! I’m bigger than many countries. Just the thought of it makes me moan. I did not grow just out of pleasure or for the sake of it, though. I grew because I wanted to show the world what happens when it crosses a girl like me.

I clear my throat and project my voice. I guess that most of the planet can hear me without the need of technology, now. I love the idea.

“TINY PEOPLE OF EARTH!” I start to catch their attention. “I HOPE THAT THIS NEW SIZE MAKES YOU FINALLY REALIZE THE FUTILITY OF ATTACKING ME. I’M TIRED OF YOUR STUPID GAMES. IT’S TIME FOR YOU TO COME TO TERMS WITH THE NEW REALITY. I AM YOUR GODDESS AND FROM NOW ON, THAT’S ALL THAT COUNTS. YOU EXIST BECAUSE I WANT TO. WATCH AND LEARN!”

Well, it was not that bad of a speech, considering I had not prepared. The speech will be nothing compared with what comes afterwards, though. I raise a foot and move it forward. It easily brings me from the coast of Delaware to the spot where the city of Washington DC used to be. My right foot soon lands in the remainders of Baltimore’s downtown.

I take two more steps and look back. I’m utterly surprised when I see that I’m not leaving footprints in the ground anymore. I’m now breaking the Earth’s crust, as the magma that’s filling my imprints shows.

Good. That’s going to make the show so much better. Of course, I know what my first destination will be: New York City.

I carelessly step on Philadelphia on my way there, a single footprint taking the land that was formerly occupied by the city. I’m at New York less than a minute later.

I cannot see the Statue of Liberty. Hell, it’s even tough to distinguish the Empire State Building. From up here, the city looks like a gray uniform mass, with a couple of features here and there. I can still see its landscape, though, so I take a guess at what Manhattan is.

I think whether I should say something, but I decide against it. I just crouch, reach out and rip the entire island from the surface of the planet. It takes about half of my palm as I stand up and try to take a look at it. There’s no way I can make out too much, so, frustrated, I just close my fist and smash the center of the World’s economic power in a simple gesture.

A step in Long Island and another one in Brooklyn take out most of what’s left of the city. With one foot in each borough, I look around and see a rather large city to the north. My guess is that it’s Boston, but who knows. I don’t feel like walking there, my preference being to get back to the West, so I just blow the city and a hundred miles around it with a mild dose of my laser vision.

Something fast moves over me and catches my attention. My first thought is that it’s a plane, but I realize soon enough that no planes can fly much higher than my ankles now. The object is tiny enough, but with its speed it leaves a trail that I can follow. It looks like a satellite or something. It’s not within my reach, but it’s not that much higher than I am. I want it. And anything I want, I have.

Luckily, my real reach extends much farther than where my miles-long arms can go. Focusing on the speck, I turn my tractor beam on and with the better finesse I’ve achieved yet I capture the gnat into my control. A few seconds later it’s floating right in front of my eyes.

I really have to force my sight to distinguish some cylinders patched together and what must be solar panels. It looks bigger than a simple satellite. Can it be some sort of station? Well, I don’t really care.

Losing interest almost as quickly as I got it, I let go and see as the tiny object turns into a ball of fire as it uncontrollably moves down to Earth. Weird.

Forgetting about the momentary distraction, I start my trek west. I stop by the lakes, which now are barely puddles, less than a couple of minutes later. I’m kind of thirsty… but I also know that there’s no way I’m going to be able to drink from such shallow waters.

An idea comes to mind. Stooping, I point my face and blow as cold as I can. The lakes immediately freeze. And so do the few states around them. I guess they should be used to cold temperatures. I’ve heard that winters are freezing there, anyway.

With the lakes now frozen, I can use my fingernails to peel them off the ground. They do not have too much volume, but soon I’m holding a manageable enough ice cube in my palm. All I have to do is bring it to my mouth and let if melt. I savor it as I think on what to do next.

I let my mind wander as I keep trekking across the country:

“Look at me! I’m beyond gigantic” I think. “No one has ever had a tiny fraction of the power I have now. I’m unstoppable. I’m…”

I cough. I’m getting dizzy. I realize what it is soon enough. I’m out of air. I try to breath hard… only my lungs cannot get any air in them.

“What the fuck?” I think. It’s one of my last thoughts.

The dizziness is advancing quickly, and now the world at my feet starts feeling blurry. I try to breath hard again, but I have no more luck than the previous time.

I’m not an A-student, but I realize about what’s going on soon enough. I’m too high. There’s no air in here, or in case there is, it’s too thin. I wonder how I’ve been able to go on so far. One of the last rational thoughts my mind processes is that I might have had some reserves but that I’ve run out of them as I kept my head for too long outside the atmosphere.

I panic for the first time since I grew through the hotel’s roof. My first reaction is to duck, to try to get my head lower. It does not work. Apparently I’m so tall that even ducking does not get my nose to a spot with enough air density.

The world gets even blurrier as I feel that I’m about to pass out. The last thought that crosses my mind before everything turns black is that I could have easily fixed the situation by willing myself to shrink.

“FU…” I start saying as my ass breaks the Earth’s crust and causes the worst earthquake in Earth’s history. I don’t feel it, since I’m already out.

 

Chapter End Notes: