- Text Size +

Anyhow, an hour later, after I had already put back the measuring tape and scale, gotten dressed again and tried to move emotionally beyond the new reality we had just been forced to acknowledge, the doorbell rang. Now, as you can imagine, Georgie has never answered the front door in his life: he just can’t even come close to reaching the handle and even if he could, it could be dangerous for him to open the door to anyone. So he often follows after me.

I must admit, it is a wee bit annoying to have a 25 year old guy, even if he is your brother and even if he is shorter than your knees, follow behind you like a toddler holding on to the skirts of his mother (not that G could even reach my “skirts,” unless of course I wore a really long dress, which I hardly ever do). But that is our reality and I’ve reluctantly, to be sure, accepted it. 

So, with Georgie at my still barefoot heels, I opened the door to find our neighbor Kayla, who I hadn’t seen in a while, standing there, asking if they could borrow some sugar. As I went back to the kitchen to get a bag of sugar, I left Kayla and Georgie at the door. Like we’ve mentioned before, Kayla and her entire family are really close with all of us, and despite a ten year age difference, she and Georgie get on really well.

Kayla was obviously excited to see Georgie and bent down eagerly to show him her new Fitbit watch. I came back to find Kayla on her knees, butt to heels, bending low to meet Georgie’s eyes, with her arm outstretched and held by Georgie’s two tiny hands, as he was animatedly asking her all about the functions of the watch. When they finished, Kayla swept Georgie closer to her, and left him with a peck on his forehead, and stood up.

As I handed her the sugar, I noticed that Kayla, in her flip-flops, seemed taller than I had remembered. (Wow, what is happening to me? Recently, everyone, it seemed like, was a different size than I had remembered. Why was I, of all people, so obsessed with height differences all of a sudden? I hoped it wasn’t really an obsession, just a passing curiosity, but who knows how these things work?) 

“Kayla,” I said, “weren’t you like 4’11 a while ago? Somehow, you seem taller now. Is that possible?”

“Oh My God, thanks for noticing, Lexie! Yes, a few weeks ago I was measured at like a bit over 5 foot. Who knows if I haven’t grown since then? Haha I still am a growing girl, thank the Lord. All I know is I’m pretty sure I don’t have to look up to meet James’s eyes anymore. “

“What do you mean? Isn’t James 5’2? At least that’s what he told me a while ago, and I’ve always thought that since then. Why would you be able to see him eye to eye, if he’s like 2 inches taller?” 

“Umm, hate to break it to you Lexie, and I think it’d be ridiculous if this is still a secret and I was ratting him out, but James pretty much wears lifts in all his shoes! Even his slippers! Can you believe that? I don’t even get why. And I’m not even sure how tall he really is but he totally wears something like 2 inch lifts in all his shoes.”

“Wha…what? Really? OMG! I can’t believe that! And why would he be so secretive about that? It’s not like any of our friends are even close to in competition with him? I mean even Rach, the shortest of us, is what? 5’4 or something? Still noticeably taller than him. Why would he lie? No, no, I gotta see this myself! Can you ask him to come on by here? Just make up some excuse…Make it seem like it’s an emergency or something. “

Kayla and James returned a few minutes later just slightly out of breath, as if they had been rushing, with Lauren following in her heels several steps behind.

“Kayla said you had a toilet that wouldn’t flush and needed a guy’s help pronto? Glad I could step in as the guy next door. Now where is this problem crapper, haha?”

“Ah, “ I said, “thanks big guy. But just as Kayla ran out it started to work, so no problem anymore. But totally appreciate your running over!” With one hand, I squeezed him on his shoulder. Tousling his hair, as I may have wanted to do, just seemed a bit too disrespectful.

“But, hey, now that you’re here, I kinda just heard you wear lifts? That can’t be right, can it? I mean, why would you even want to?”

“Umm…” I could tell James was caught off guard by my question, and probably was figuring out the ruse he fell for to get him to come over. “Well, umm, yes, I do wear lifts. It’s just because it’s kinda embarrassing to stand so much shorter than pretty much most of the girls, let alone all guys. Fine, you’re just a giant, but even most girls are way taller than me so I don’t like to admit, or show off, I’m even shorter than what I say. But, whatever, no biggie, the secret’s out I guess. “

“O, James, sorry! I didn’t mean to make you feel bad about it. God knows, most of the time I wish I was shorter too so I could fit in better. But what can you do? You deal with what God blessed you. And trust me, I am the last person to worry about an inch here or there.” At this point, I looked at Georgie, to catch him looking at me with a quiet knowing smile forming on his face.  “So come on, embrace the truth now and let’s see you in your bare feet!” I hoped my positive attitude would decrease any possible lingering uncomfortableness of the whole situation.

“Well, fine, ok… Give me a sec.”

As James took off his sneakers and lowered to the ground, I could definitely recognize a drop in his altitude. Fine, I had grown a bit in the past few years, but still I was (quietly) awestruck (!!) by how small my next door neighbor, my best male friend, the guy I had actually danced with at three mid-year dances over the past few years, truly stood.

Knowing he was 5’2 was hard enough, but realizing now he was even slightly shorter than that, just blew my mind. He was -- no, I mean he is still -- my best male friend, and I’m glad we danced together, but that he is just so much shorter is kinda funny and weird, if you know what I mean. I mean, as fun as my friend Eric from LPA is, I don’t think I would enjoy dancing with him too much with his standing at knee height (but shhh, don’t tell him). Haha, don’t even get me started on Georgie. Sure, I am happy to dance with anyone for a time, but to honestly enjoy a dance you gotta lean in on the guy. I don’t expect to meet or dance with someone taller than me, I’m fine with that, but he’s gotta be at least shoulder height! Anyhow, James reminded me now of Danny Devito, though maybe a third of his weight. James was really skinny, scrawny even, and now in his bare feet, he just seemed so very slight, almost like a breeze could blow him over. Lauren always kinda seems that way, but she also kinda looks lots younger than she is, and is most definitely lots shorter. And a girl. 

“Wait, so you’ve always said you’re 5’2, right? So, err, what are you actually?”

“Well the lifts are definitely about 2.5 inches. So I’d like to say I’m 5’1 … but truth is I’m not even sure.”

“In that case, I think we need to measure you precisely! I’ve just measured myself too so the tape is not far. Do you mind?” 

As James shook his head, Kayla jumped up and said “why not measure us together? Like, compare our heights…please? “ 

I hesitated then. But looking at James, he didn’t seem too concerned. As I pulled each of them together, back to back, my gut kinda wrenched. I don’t like the whole comparison thing - each family member should be appreciated on his/her own, height included. But I get the curiosity thing. People are forever comparing me and Georgie, as if the fact that we both come from the same parents and gene pool means we both must share the exact same height. Ha…as anyone can attest, we are both individuals.

But anyhow, Kayla asked, begged really, so I hoped James wouldn’t mind too much. At first glance I was surprised to see that James and Kayla appeared near similar. But that’s when I noticed James standing on his tip-toes. “O, come on!” I said good-naturedly as I patted down on his head, forcing him to stand down, and he laughed a bit. A nervous laugh, to be sure. But I laughed too, hopefully making light of the whole situation, as I moved my palm from Kayla’s head down towards James’s.

There was no doubt, Kayla was taller than him by a good two inches. Maybe even more. I pulled the tape measure to measure them and Kayla stood a solid 5’2.5, and James an even 5 nothing.

“Well, damn, James, you are short! Don’t get me wrong, I love short guys,” – we all looked to Georgie at the same time – “but I hadn’t figured you shorter than your little sister!” 

“Come on, Lex, you’re used to that. God, just look at you and your older brother!“ That was Lauren piping up. “And just look at me. Lord knows I’m used to being the older and way shorter one too. I definitely don’t need to tell you, but people are alwaaaays mistaking me for a 7 year old, which I hate, and recently they’ve even started asking me if Kayla, my younger by 10 years(!) sister, is my older sis!! Don’t worry, Kay, I still love you! Lex, not everyone can be 6’7, you know!”

“Haha, well, you’ll be happy to know… that I am no longer 6’7. I just found out that I grew an inch recently, so ya, I’m a monster!” 

“Nah, you’re not a monster, just extremely tall. But look at me and James,” Kayla said. “Beside the height thing, I’m like two of him, I don’t think he can even move me, let alone beat me in b-ball.”

It’s true, Kayla was on the big-boned side, probably weighing a good 140 to James’ I would guess 115.

“And look at how small his hands are!” They compared hands and Kayla’s was noticeably bigger. I forced James to compare with me and Lord, his hand was really so small, his fingers ended before my second knuckle. Why had I never noticed that before?

“What the hell is this? Gang up on the little guy? Why is Georgie getting off so easy? Haha, no offense G! No, but really what the hell? Leave me be, for Pete’s sake! Besides, that’s why I don’t play piano. But don’t judge me based on my hand size... Not everything’s in synch haha."

We all kinda laughed at that. As uncomfortable as this was making us all, even if no one wanted to admit it, I still kinda wanted to have some fun with it. 

“Ok, so Kayla’s comment got me thinking. Let’s all play this game, where everyone tries to push over the other one. Like, I stand still and, say, Georgie, come on over and try push me back.”

I take it everyone was kinda bored because no one actually tried to stop me; they all just went with my idea. The G man, took a running start and made contact with both his hands at my mid-calf on one leg (there was no way he was gonna reach both my legs at once if I stood shoulder length apart). Looking down, I smirked, as I hadn’t moved an inch. “Well that was unexpected…NOT,” was all the little guy could say as he looked back up at me. Haha, he’s just lucky he didn’t bounce far when he made contact with me! 

“Ok, ok, but I’m sure not all of you will be the same. Come on, Lauren, you try now.” The cutie-pie (ya, that’s what I think of her, although I am sure she wouldn’t appreciate it if I called her that to her face), also took a running start, trying to push me back, which she did…a quarter inch. I dont consider myself strong, but come on, 75 pounds really can’t possibly make a dent against nearly 200 pounds. Now, Lauren’s friend Denise, at 5’4, 450 pounds (literally!), might have produced a different result; but thankfully she wasn’t here.

Next up, came James. I was surprised at how weak his push was. I know he’s small, and really really thin, but somehow I had figured his being a guy and all, he’d have more muscle power. But, nope, it was a bit more than Lauren, but still didn’t come anywhere near to moving me. When I pushed (not even that hard) against James, he couldn’t hold still and wobbled backwards several feet. Kayla succeeded in moving me back, but I easily got her back too. She successfully moved Lauren and James too, as if they were small children. Not surprisingly, neither of them could move her too much. 

Wow, the difference in strength and size between the three of them was incredible. I may not have believed it if I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes. I hugged James close to me, knowing the little man was probably feeling less secure, less manly, than a few minutes before. I still respect him, and love him as a friend, but I realize now that I wouldn’t necessarily ask him to help me move a couch or something (don’t hate me for my feelings!).

Anyhow, when we finished and I was high-fiving each of them (for G I high fived him with my foot; do you realize how far down I have to bend just to reach his high five?), the doorbell rang again. I opened it to find Jessica from down the block standing there. Jessi was in 6th grade, 12 years old, with long wavy red hair and pretty tall for her age at 5’9. And very clearly a girl who liked to work out. She must have weighed a healthy 140 or so, and while not muscle-bound like a lifter, her weight was evenly distributed which contributed to her looking much older than her true age. 

“Hi Lexie! My mom said your brother is good at math and I need help for school. Is it ok if I ask him stuff?”

“Sure, come on in. You can ask Georgie yourself.”

“I’m not even sure I know who he is–“

As she walked in, you could tell her eyes went wide in surprise, and she paused in mid-sentence, realizing all the (relatively) little (but older?) people standing and staring in front of her.

“O. My. I feel so awkward. Like I just walked in to a place where everyone is supposed to be tiny!” She blurted it out, as if expressing her innermost thoughts, but, blushing, caught herself only at the end when she must have realized how impolite it sounded.

I stood on Jessi’s side and held her shoulders as I introduced her to everybody. “Everyone, I’d like to introduce you to Jessi from down the block.” I wasn’t sure who knew each other but it’s always better to chance re-introducing than assume everyone knows each other. As we stood there, me and Jessi, I realized how awkward indeed the situation was. Although I was still barefoot and Jessi was in her huge (size 10? that’s what I would guess) sneakers, we both were so much taller than the others, it was hard to believe Jessi was the youngest in the room. Still, somehow I felt good to finally have someone nearby who was close to my height (ok, about a foot less than me but that’s a lot closer than anyone else in the room!).

As I introduced everyone in turn, Jessi’s eyes riveted from 15 year old Kayla, some 3 years older but 8 inches shorter (considering Kayla was still barefoot and Jessi walked in with her sneakers), to James, also barefoot, a senior in high school (!!) but so much shorter and skinnier than her it was almost comical (omg but he’s so cute! was all she could think), to tiny Lauren, in her heels but so much older (right?) and still as tiny as a six or seven year old, to the barefoot super tiny human being (is he even real?) that resembled a doll (he seems smaller than my kitten at home. Is that possible? She wasn’t sure but she would definitely have to check about that later). 

“O! is this Georgie? I’ve seen him around but never realized he was your brother, Lexie, you being so incredibly tall! How did that even happen? But, o, he’s so cute! Oh my God, can I lift him up?”

“Umm, Jessi, he’s a real live human being and he’s standing right there in front of you. Why don’t you just ask him yourself? And remember you came here to ask him to help you, so be nice!” 

Jessi squatted as she started speaking. Even from that height though she thoroughly dwarfed the little man. “Hey Georgie, I’m Jessi, as you just heard. I kinda need help with math. I heard you’re amazing at that! My mom will pay you to tutor me a bit. What do you say? And, while I’m at it, please can I pick you up? Just for a sec?”

Georgie smiled. That was always a good sign. If people bother him you can tell pretty quickly with his scowls.

“First, thanks so much for asking me! You have no idea how much I hate when complete strangers come up to me and just pick me up without even asking. It happens very often. So, sure, you can lift me; just don’t pick me up too quickly since I can get sick that way.”

“O, yay!” Jessi squealed.

As Jessi bent to lift the little guy, G told her he’d love to tutor her in math. “But it has to be in this house. I can’t really go out, even just down the block, on my own. It’d just be easier here. Do you mind? Is that ok with your mom?”

“OMG, you’re so much smaller than I expected! My mom said you’re little but you’re like a little teddy bear! How old are you, if you don’t mind me asking? I think my one year old brother is your size! And ya, totally think I could come here to be tutored."

Usually G hates when strangers squeal about him, and make all those comparing statements but I could tell G somehow got a kick out of Jessi’s curiosity and wonder so let it all pass.

“I’m 25 and I am definitely smaller than your one year old brother or even newborn cousin, both height and weight-wise. So ya, just put me down on the living room table here, and let’s get started with your lesson.”

So Jessi placed barefoot G on the table as she sat down on one of the seats. Even seated, Jessi was taller than G standing up on the table. It reminded me how often G would explain math to me as a 13 year old, with my newly developed globes, resting on the table top as he stood barefoot on the same top. G, at age 21, probably couldn’t help but be overwhelmed by my size. At 6’1, I was downright scrawny at 120 pounds, but my globes, at 34B, were growing steadily. Then, as now, I hated to have them locked in a bra so often allowed them airspace at home. It must have been more than challenging for little G, standing on the tabletop but still much shorter than his sister sitting down, to not stare at them all the while he was teaching me algebra. He may be tiny but, I’m sure, his hormones work just fine.

When my friend Zoey came over, all 5’10 of her, sometimes also to partake in the math tutoring session, she would often say how G reminded her of a little kitten, as he walked around near knee height to us and then under the table. It was true: G was, and still is, just taller than the average cat so walking around while we sat high above him in our chairs really made us think of kitten and cats. Once, before we told her not to do it again, Zoey brought her pet kitten with her when she came to visit. The kitten was fine most of the time, but once got a bit ticked at something and stood on its hind legs and Georgie, walking in from another room unaware, became literally terrified to see the kitten standing taller than him and baring its teeth high above him. Just imagine if a giant cat, say, a lion, came up to you and stood on its hind legs in front of you. You would be frightened too! 

Anyhow, a half hour of G explaining to Jessi the math was soon over and Jessi jumped up, kissing G on the cheek, thanking him profusely for all the help. She was in a rush to get to her basketball practice but she would love to come over sometime soon again, for more help. Would G mind?

“Not at all, sweetheart, it’s a pleasure to tutor you!”

G really is a gentleman when it comes to these things. It’s hard for most people to see it, since they are often too over-awed by his size that his demeanor doesn’t even register with them. As his sister, though, I see that part of his personality shine a lot. And I am so proud to call him my brother at such times. Even if he is teeny tiny.

As Jessi prepared to leave, all the rest of us were still standing around talking. Jessi had to bend low to reach Lauren, in her heels, in order to hug. Kayla on tip toes, and then me, bending a bit, both hugged Jessi. James, still barefoot, came up to her to say goodbye as well. The 18 year old barely reached the 12 year old’s shoulder.

“Wow, you’re so cute! A pipsqueak, but cute” was Jessi’s way of tending her goodbye to James. Bending down low again, she tried with one hand to keep her hair out of her eyes, and with the other brought James closer in a hug, managing to kiss him at the same time. James, blushing, seemed preparing his mouth to say something, but nothing came out. Apparently he was too flustered to respond.

I knew then that I couldn’t bear to let Jessi leave without comparing her strength to us. “Hey James, do you think you can lift Jessi? Or beat her in an arm wrestle?” 

“Lift her? Arm wrestle? Lex, what the hell is the matter with you today? She’s 12 for God’s sake! It wouldn’t be right of me to lift her. And arm wrestle? God, we're seniors, Lex, in case you forgot. It’s not like I need to prove my seniority to her!”

“I don’t know, James, kinda sounds like you’re scared…”

“I’m not scared, I’m just…“

"O come on, short stuff, I’m only 12. I’m sure you’d kill me in arm wrestle. And you look like you’re strong, I’m sure you could lift me.”

Well, that was enough of a challenge to test James’ masculinity. I could see his mind working a mile a minute trying to figure out some way to wiggle out of it. But in the end, he tried lifting, even moving her, but couldn’t budge her. Jessi for her part easily lifted James above her head. She lifted Lauren even higher. I lift Lauren on my shoulders but I had never tried with James. Of course when I did, it was no problem. The little guy is so light I thought he might launch into space as I lifted him. At the arm wrestle Jessi obviously had a size advantage, her arm much longer, not to mention her weight advantage and being much stronger than James. She beat him with hardly any challenge from him.

I couldn’t let Jessi go without arm wrestling her myself. I beat her, again because of my size advantage, but God, she did put up a good fight.

As they stood up, James looked up at Jessi, and said, “wow, all I have to say is, thank the Good Lord we’re friends. Just remember, though, I’m older!”

Jessi, for her part, patted James on the head and said “you’re awful cute, you know? Can I go with you to prom?”

We all squealed at that: here was a 12 year old asking an 18 year old out to his prom! I had already decided not to go with James to prom this year because of the height thing but I assumed James had many other female possibilities. What would he say to Jess?   

I won’t spoil James’ reputation by writing what transpired exactly but by the end of the night it was obvious to all of us that although she was much younger than all the rest of us, we all enjoyed hanging out with Jessi. We decided thereafter we would have to include her when hanging out or any other future plans together.

Chapter End Notes:

So sorry for my delay! I really do have several chapters ahead in my mind, but it's sooo hard for me to set them down in writing.  I suck at the story part of this thing; my forte, I think, is just the situational settings. Would love to hear your reactions and suggestions!