- Text Size +

"Taken". Lindsay was staring at the word in the bio of her blog. She wanted to acknowledge being claimed as property by her anonymous owner so she had opened the editor and changed from "Single" to "Taken". But she had not saved the change yet. It seemed so small, but her fans would probably notice sooner rather than later and questions and comments would overflow in her inbox. She was not ready for the storm of questions, because she had no answers. The rational side of her was already convinced. It was too early to make such an announcement, so she closed the editor and discarded the change. Just to be sure she typed in the address in her browser to confirm that nothing was changed, and sure enough it still said "Single". She looked at her own pictures for a couple of moments. Her heart started to beat harder. She loved her job, but that wasn't the reason for the strong beats. Rather than what she was looking at she was thinking about what was not on her page. The pictures that were supposed to be private.

She grabbed her phone and opened the download folder. She hesitated before she clicked the first file. What could she possibly gain from looking at them again? She had probably looked for hours already, but then again... if she felt like looking there really wasn't a good reason not to. Lindsay the doll was looking back at her through the screen. She hadn't really thought about it when it happened but her eyes were looking straight at the shutter. A force of habit perhaps, to smile at the camera. She recalled being the doll in the picture, looking at the high res display when first shown to her. The picture of the doll was probably bigger than the doll itself, partly depending on the size of the phone of course. Her thoughts started to wander, trying to recall the size she had been, trying to imagine a doll lying in her own hand, or even she herself, lying in the hand of her owner. She could feel her touch, and the prodding with the swab and the paintbrush, the rush of hot and cold as her humanity was erased, and hearing her voice booming over her, outside of her view. Her mind was playing tricks on her, perhaps she remembered being smaller than she was. She started to imagine lying in the middle of a palm, fingers closing, engulfing her in the giant hand, blocking all light out, but feeling warm and safe, hearing the words "You are my doll, my property, without a single worry in the world". She disappeared into that dream for a while. Should she be so comfortable in this thought? The notion of discarding her humanity and living as a doll? It was a scary thought, but also... not... The screen on her phone faded into her screen saver, and then went dark, snapping her out of her fantasy.

She opened the editor again on her computer and changed one word and looked at it, but it didn't convey her feelings. "Taken" was wrong, so she once again discarded the change and went for a walk.