- Text Size +

Emil couldn’t have hid the grin on his face even if he tried. Even knowing what tomorrow would bring there was naught but merriment and splendor in the air to the point it would practically be a sin to not be enjoying one’s self.

The young man was seated calmly at a table near an inconspicuous corner, drinking in the sights before him. In seemingly no time since his walk earlier the town square had been transformed into the center of one of the largest parties in Windermere history. Every person in the town, be they man, woman, or child, was present and stupidly drunk as can be. Each moment seemed to bring a new wave of roaring laughter and bumbling accidents all to the upbeat tune of the few musicians eagerly playing all their favorites.

“…And then it was just me. My comrades were down and the dragon was all that stood between us and our mission.”

Then of course there was Alexandra. She was no exception to the merriment. If anything she seemed to be having more fun than anyone. The flawless fair skin had long since turned red with countless barrels of ale, but nonetheless her Attendant constantly moved to bring her more. Surrounding her was a crowd of people, mostly children.

“Twas a fearsome creature! A full head taller than me and breathing fire that melted my blade right down to the hilt. Everyone had been bested and all I had were my fists and wits about me.”

“What happened then?” A child asked the giant, one of about a couple dozen who listened to Alexandra’s story with clear awe. Emil smirked, remembering how the last time she had told the story the dragon was in fact shorter than her.

Alexandra grinned and rocked back on the building she sat on, sounding off a series of creaks from the makeshift seat. “Why I did what I do best child. I rushed the monster head on!” Various oohs and ahhs quickly followed. “He seemed barely winded thus far and met my aggression with his own. Jaws stronger than a castle’s walls came for my throat, but then I avoided them at the last second and wrapped my arms around the creature’s slimy neck! He did his best to thrash me off but we both knew who the victor was.” The blonde giant’s chest puffed with pride as she laughed.

“How did you beat him? Wasn’t your sword melted?”

Emil’s grin matched Alexandra’s as she gave her famed conclusion. Under his breath he mouthed it along with her. “Why I ripped his neck apart with my bare teeth!” For effect she leaned forward and brought her head near the cluster of youths and adults, chomping the pearly whites loudly. The entire group cried out and quickly burst into laughter. “For the record he tasted awful. Easily the worst creature I’ve eaten.”

“Here you go.” A gruff voice raised itself to a shout to garner the giant’s attention. Her blue eyes casually glanced over to her Attendant. “Good. Before you get the next one a while ago someone spilled their drink on my boot. Take care of it.” She quickly ordered before downing the container of alcohol into her mouth. Nobody else seemed to so much as notice the young man who had delivered it, least of all Alex once her drink was done.

Such was the fate of Attendants Emil lamented. It was a popular myth that associating with an Attendant was grounds for being selected as the next one. As such they were often treated as outcasts, no matter how beloved they were before. Andrei was the apple of everyone’s eye once upon a time. Now it was only Emil who dared to look at him from the safety of his hidden corner.

The hulking man stepped towards Alexandra’s boots and quickly found the wet splotch of beer near the top its toe. Once upon a time he would have been too proud to even consider what he was about to do, but now he knelt down without hesitation and brought his lips to the footwear. Out of consideration Emil looked away, knowing full well he was now licking up the filth from the giant’s foot. Some stories even said that was how Attendants ate.

Nobody seemed to pay him any mind however. Alexandra was quick to get into a new story about how she swam her way to the bottom of the ocean to find the kingdom of Aquaria. Likewise the crowd moved along with it, but Emil tuned it out and focused on his own drink. Everyone was quick to move on from anything to do with Andrei.

Emil was fully content to just casually enjoy his drinks and food while basking in everyone else’s good time. Such was the sort of man he was. A fly on the wall as it were. He could spy the elders of the village happily chatting at the largest table, the farmers and their respective wives dancing crudely, and of course the children and their stories told by an increasingly drunk giant.

Only one person was not having fun: Andrei. Emil turned his dark eyes to the burly man once more, noting the resigned exhaustion in his visage. While this was a day off for everyone for him it was the hardest day he’d ever have to work. Whether it was from pity or stubborn kindness Emil found himself walking over to him.

Initially Andrei paid Emil no mind. Next to no one had approached him all year. Why would they start now? You’d have to be an absolute idiot to want to risk being associated with an Attendant. A sentiment his expression conveyed to Emil almost instantly once he realized who the young man was looking at.

“Here.” Emil offered his mug to the dumbfounded Attendant.

His face, weary from the year of endless labor and stress, stared down at Emil’s hand. “What are you…?”

“You look thirsty.” He smiled innocently in response. “Plus with what’ll happen tomorrow…It’s the least I can do. Quickly, before Alexandra notices you slacking off.”

Andrei didn’t need to be told twice. Emil barely blinked before the mug was being downed by the muscular man. A moment later the empty mug was shoved back in his hands. “You’re a fool. But appreciated uh…” He blinked and stared intently at Emil’s face. “…Errol right?”

“Emil, but close enough.” He shrugged. “It’s the least I can do for all you’ve done for the town.”

The Attendant didn’t answer and approached another barrel, tossing it over his shoulder with seemingly no effort. “It’s been too long since I had beer.” He licked his lips. “Beats her foot grime any day.” Andrei laughed and headed out, reinvigorated with a bit of the brew in his throat.

Emil walked off as well, but not before sharing a glance with Andrei. The man’s eyes conveyed his deep gratitude better than a thousand words. Even if nobody gave him the time of day at least one very foolish person did him a last kindness.

The party continued well into the night. Hours passed with everyone having the time of their lives. Eventually however, the guest of honor had to leave.

“Sh-orry everybody, but I gotta rest up for tomorrow.” Alexandra slurred her way through every word, weaving back in forth in place. The giant reached her hand down for her Attendant who silently clambered on. Emil watched carefully as she slid him into one of her trouser pockets. “Make shore everything is ready!~” The blonde giant then rose to her feet and everyone knew better than to be near her for this.

She took the first of many intoxicated steps away and grabbed a building for support. Shingles rained down from the roof onto the streets. Then with her next step she did the same, her thumb penetrating a window of the next building. “Ah Seven Hells. I’ll fix that tomorrow.” Her next step saw a cart snapped to splinters under her foot. “That too!” Alexandra drunkenly apologized and continued, breaking more windows and belongings with every booming step until she was finally out of sight.

With the giant gone the party didn’t take long to disperse. Friends and families grabbed their drunken fellows and returned home. Emil was no exception. He knew he would pass out on his bed immediately and once his eyes opened it would begin. The image of Andrei’s appreciative expression never left his head. It tore at the young man’s heart. He was such a good person, for this to happen to him was simply unfair. But tomorrow it would be over at long last; though that knowledge didn’t little to ease the young man’s sympathetic conscience.