- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

"Sighs"

 

This chapter was very satisfying to write. It's an accumulation of many plot lines I have woven together that all inevitably meet here, in this chapter. And its fantastic! :)

 

Welcome back and i hope you weren't waiting very long. I started this on Monday and finished it Sunday. All and all, this has been a great week for me. And the best way for me to end it is to give you all a chapter i'm sure you've been waiting very patiently for.

 

I couldn't stand the thought of leaving the twins arc alone for weeks so I had to conclude it before I take a break, and im happy I did. So without further adoo

 

Please enjoy it!

 

 

~ Dillard Georgia ~

 

Walking down the beaten path that had become a usual route for her to take come evening, Claire sighed to herself as she watched the river flowing beside her. Today had been an unusually cruel day. While she had been in the locker room changing into her gym clothes some of her old friends had cornered her… the outcome was, less than desirable…

Her only solace was the Gym Teacher stepping in after about five minutes of them harassing her. Not that she got much sympathy from her afterward. Kicking a rock out of her way bitterly, the brunette tried to calm her nerves but that was easier said than done. ‘Just relax, it’s over now. You’re going to go to your happy place, recover and then enjoy a fun night at work!’

Smiling warmly, her mood shifted almost instantaneously as she encouraged herself. The Daycare was her life now. She had poured all her love and time into it, and for once since this whole ordeal began… she felt, human again. Coming to her deserted dock, the girl began to descend the steps before freezing up instantly as she saw someone else there… make that two someones.

Blinking a few times, she furrowed her brow before realization dawned on her as she figured out who they were. Sitting on the wooden planks, were two little girls. They had on rich red colored dresses and their demeanor was that of indifference to anything else around them. But if that wasn’t enough of an image, it was the fact they both looked identical that gave it away to where she remembered them from. They were the two little girls who had teased her about a week ago…

Looking up quietly as Claire came into view, both Sophia and Alexis smiled softly as they saw her. They had been waiting in the same spot for five days now, but it was becoming rather tedious. They figured she would have shown up long before now. Turning back around without uttering a word in return, Claire was about to leave till a pair of voices rang out.

 

“Don’t leave… we want to talk to you.” “Come, sit with us. Please.”

 

Stopping mid-step, Claire’s foot hung over the ledge as she tried to leave… but, she couldn’t. ‘There just going to mess with you again like last time… just go.’ Moving her foot again, the brunette took another step till Sophia’s voice rang out once more. “We… we’re sorry we said the things we did before. Could you please come and sit with us?”

Pausing a second time, Claire clenched her hands tightly before lowering her gaze. ‘Damn it…’ She couldn’t say no to them. Children always had such a strong sway over her. And they had a genuine tone in their voices this time. Looking over her shoulder, the girl soon sighed.

“Fine… what do you two want this time…?” The brunette grumbled before walking back up the steps and hopping onto the dock. Smiling calmly, the twin’s scooched apart from one another before making a spot in-between them, their hands patting the seat they had made afterward's. “Sit with us.” Narrowing her eyes, varies thoughts crossed her mind of what they might be plotting… but, they were only children…

‘Worst case scenario I’m pushed into the water…’ Breathing deeply, Claire ignored her lingering doubts before making her way over to them and sitting down, her expression passive now as she regarded them. “Alright, you have me here… so, what did you two want to talk about?” Going through the girl's mind now with finer attention to detail, Alexis’s mood darkened as she read her thoughts and saw her memories.

“C-Can you tell us about yourself?” Sophia whispered quietly as she looked up at the taller girl. Blinking, Claire’s expression was blank for a moment before her brow rose. That question had come out of the blue. “I’m pretty sure you already know who I am… you called me out on It last time… remember?” Cringing from the bitterness in her tone, Sophia nodded slowly as she gave her sister more time to sift through the strange girl's mind.

“Y-Yes… our, Mother… told us about you. But, who are you?” Why did they care so much all of a sudden? It seemed like they had a general contempt for her very presence last time she was here. But now, they seemed… curious. Sighing, Claire’s hands moved behind her to support her weight as she leaned back. “What’s there to tell you? My names Claire Abernathy, I live here in Dillard Georgia. I’m the town’s pariah, and my life sucks.” She smirked before looking back at the younger girl.

“What could you possibly want to know about me?” Scowling, Sophia glanced to her sister but she still seemed to be nitpicking around the girl's mind. She didn’t need her to tell them every little detail because her sister would get them on her own… but, they needed enough. “Why did you try to help us that other day?”

Frowning, Claire said nothing for a moment before her eyes closed. “Because it was the right thing to do.” Looking up at the older girl surprised, Sophia was about to ask her to continue but she was beaten to it. “Look, I work with children, so it’s my job to make sure they're taken care of... even if their not my own. And it breaks my heart to see them in pain… I know how bad it can feel… So that’s why I wanted to help you two because you looked like you were both in pain.” She whispered candidly before her eyes opened back up.

Looking down at Alexis and then, in turn, her sister, Claire was silent again before she moved to stand up. “It was nice talking with you girls… but, I got to go now. I-It was fun meeting you two again... this time around.” She smiled sheepishly before turning to leave. Reaching out to grab the girl's arm, Sophia’s hand was soon stopped by her sisters as the little blonde's eyes opened up.

‘I have enough.’ Nodding silently, both girls looked back at Claire’s retreating form as she left for work. It wasn’t a long conversation, but they now had a better understanding, of just who this girl was. And to say their curiosity was quenched, would be an overstatement.

 

If anything… they needed to know more about her. They had to speak with her again…

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

Jogging down the riverbed, Claire breathed steadily as she checked the time on her wrist. It had been a half day at school today so she had a few hours to blow before work, which meant, she had plenty of alone time to herself… as usual. Sighing, she shook her head as she made her way back to her hidden sanctuary. She’d probably get a few hours of thought in before heading out like most days she went there.

Then again, if it was anything like last time she could always run… into… Blinking slowly as her head rose over the low hanging dock, Claire soon scowled. Sitting there, were the two twins she had run into not once, not twice, but three times now.

‘What the heck are they always doing here?’ This wasn’t a place you found easily, so how did they? Not to mention, why did they keep coming back? Looking up from the water, their attention seemingly swayed upon the girl's intrusion to their privacy, both blondes soon smiled.

“Good afternoon Claire. We’re surprised you’re here so soon. Doesn’t your school get out at 3:30?” Dropping her book bag at the end of the dock, Claire’s confusion soon grew. “How, did you know I got out of school at 3:30?” Freezing up, Sophia scowled before her sister spoke up. “Our Mother is a staff member there… She’s… Mrs. Artiste, do you know her?”

Opening her mouth to speak, Claire suddenly felt rather lightheaded before it dawned on her. She did know who they meant actually. “Really? I… I think I know who you’re talking about. She’s a politics teacher right?” Nodding her head coyly, Alexis grinned before scooching away from her sister.

“Yes, she is. Would you care to sit with is? We’d love to talk with you again if you wouldn’t mind.” Biting her tongue, Claire glanced down at her watch before nodding. She had plenty of time. “Sure, I guess if you don’t mind me being here. I’m not intruding am I?”

Shaking their head simultaneously, both Sophia and Alexis smirked as she patted the spot between them. “We insist.” Smiling, Claire made her way between the girls before sitting herself down. ‘Huh, and here I thought they hated me.’ Frowning, both girls looked away sadly before recomposing themselves. “Can… Can we ask you something?”

Looking to Alexis, Claire nodded happily as she listened to the worry in the girl's tone. “Is something bothering you? Either, of you?” Nodding their heads, they tried to figure out the best way to phrase the bizarre question in a form Claire could possibly comprehend… but they were beaten to it. “It has something to do with why you girls were sad a couple weeks ago. Doesn’t it?”

Looking up at Claire shocked, Sophia smiled sadly before nodding her head. ‘Are we that easy to read?’, ‘Or is she just that good at guessing when people are troubled?’ Staring off into the waters below them, both Sophia and Alexis sighed before looking up at Claire.

“What do you do, when you work really hard on something, and spend ye-, months working on it… only for all that effort to be wasted. What do you do… when you put your trust in others… and you’re betrayed? How… how can you possibly continue down the path that’s laid with pitfalls and deceit?” Furrowing her brow, Claire hummed as she thought over the rather philosophical question. She certainly hadn’t expected something like that to be asked to her.

“W-Well… I guess you just have to forgive and move on.” Looking up at Claire in disbelief by such a simple answer, both blondes growled startling the brunette in the process. “F-Forgive them! They ruined our plans!” Cupping her mouth, Alexis looked away bitterly from her sudden outburst. She hadn’t meant for that to slip out…

Stiffening, however, the younger blonde looked up before feeling her cheeks slowly beginning to darken. Resting her arm on her shoulder, and her sisters for that matter, Claire smiled warmly at her before shaking her head. “Forgiveness is the only way you can move on. You asked me how you can move on, and that’s how. That doesn’t mean you’re going to trust whoever it is who betrayed you. It just means that you’re able to stand above them.”

Lowering her gaze, Alexis’s mind began to turn slowly as she processed her words. “But… but how can we possibly do that… when there are Monsters who try to undo our work?” Sophia whispered quietly. Giving both girls a quizzical look, Claire soon grew confused. “U-Uh… I, I guess it just comes down to finding another way to help... them? Not every answer comes with a simple fix and it's the ones that don't have one that usually work the best.” 'I wonder what she meant by Monsters...'

Sighing, Sophia shook her head. She wouldn’t understand the statement. Stiffening, something soon dawned on them both. ‘Alexis…’ Nodding her head, the younger girl looked at Claire carefully before feeling her breath hitch. ‘S-She… she’s glowing.’

Looking at Claire in shock, Sophia was speechless alongside her sister now. Flashing brightly all around Claire… was a radiant white coloring. It was nothing like they had ever seen from any of the other people they had studied. What did it mean?! Why was she so… different?

‘You… you’ve suffered from people. You’ve been hurt by people. You’ve been abandoned… So why are you so pure?’ “Can… Can you tell us… why everyone hates you?” Growing as stiff as a board, Claire’s hands began to shake now before she slowly withdrew them from the girl’s shoulders much to their displeasure.

“I… I think that’s a story I’ll keep to myself… sorry.” She whispered quietly before staring into the water. Feeling the emotions settling somberly over the girl, both blondes soon grew remorseful. “We’re sorry… we didn’t mean to make you sad. If… if you change your mind, though, we really would like to know. Because… we like you.” Sophia whispered quietly before leaning into Claire.

Feeling her sudden depression lift from the younger girl’s words, Claire looked down at her side before feeling something else pressing into her other side. Glancing to Alexis now, the brunette smiled quietly before shaking her head. “For someone who claims to have been *betrayed*, you’re both rather trusting. You don’t even know me.”

Smiling knowingly, neither blonde said anything in return as they continued to cuddle the girl between them. They wanted to get to know her more. Something told them, that she would be an insight into their future… and she might just be the answer they had been looking for to their question all along…

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

“Share.”

 

Looking up at her sister now as both Sophia and Alexis sat at the familiar dock they had been frequenting over the past three weeks, the latter grinned in amusement before nodding her head. There were things that both girls enjoyed in life, be it food, of finery. But when it came to things they both liked equally, at a young age they came up with a simple rule. A very specific phrase they told one another so they would never squabble over something ridiculous or trivial. They had never fought, verbally or otherwise in their life besides a simple disagreement here or there.

And that usually came down to this simple word ending it. ‘Share.’ When they both wanted something, and it was the same thing the other wanted, they would just share it. And they were very happy to share this, to share, her. Watching as Claire ran down the pathway leading up to the dock, both blondes licked their lips giddily. She was theirs now. And they would share her with one another…

She had given them insight into their own minds. She had shed light on subjects and issues they couldn’t have comprehended with their black and white perspective. But, more importantly… she saved them, from doing something horrible. The moment they returned home, they would have gone through with their plan to influence the government and impose their beliefs on everyone… Monster, or otherwise if they disagreed.

But through her… through Claire, they figured out one very important detail they had never thought about. While they were focused on trying to fix the world as fast as they could through their immediate actions, they never considered what they could do to better it within the generations that followed. And this never would have struck them either… because their minds had never seen such a value in something as simple as this.

But Claire did. She saw the immense value in the generations that followed after her. And she was dedicating her time and pleasure in their growth, children. “They're pure… uncorrupted, and not like, us…” Holding her sister's hand, Sophia smiled warmly as Claire ran up to them happily. ‘She can still see the good in us... so perhaps, we can be more like her so we can see it too.’

Nodding her head, both blondes soon grinned before hugging the brunette happily. “Hey, sorry I’m late, I got caught up with some homework. I hope you girls weren’t waiting long…” Glaring, neither girl said a word as their crushes memories flashed in her mind. ‘Homework… as if.’ It was them again… this town’s cursed populous messing with her. Messing with their Claire…

They wanted to make them all regret it. But, they weren’t going to harm them. Only the Monsters. ‘They all deserve to be monsters for what they’re doing to her…’ Nodding her head, both girls grew quiet as they continued to cuddle Claire close.

They would help her soon. A new plan had come to mind on how to fix the world. One that was agreeable to them both this time around. It would take twice as long to achieve it… but it wouldn’t make them the very things they needed to fight. It wouldn’t make them… Monsters.

And Claire helped them figure it out. She’d be rewarded for the hand she played in this. And she’d be showered with many gifts as well, their love being the most prominent. They would share her equally. She was theirs. And with time she would come to realize it too… But, it wasn’t time yet. They still had things they needed to accomplish first.

Preparations had to be made, and sadly… they needed to head home for a while. But they would return. They needed to see Claire soon. Her presence was addictive, and if they were gone too long… they wouldn’t be able to stay as strong as they could.

Next time they returned, if everything worked out how they had planned… then they would tell her the truth. They would tell her, what they really were…

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

~ Philadelphia ~

 

 

Watching in quiet fascination, Amelia looked at her two daughters as they worked on something between them both. Resting on their thighs was a single laptop they had bought a few days ago as they scoured information on something. It had been two weeks since they had returned from Georgia and for the life of her she couldn’t figure out why they had even stayed there that long. But… something had happened there. Something had changed her daughters.

They had been broken when they were driving home after the events with the CDC, but now, she had never seen them as happy as they were now. Something had occurred after they had left that day, and she didn’t know if she was relieved or terrified of what.

After arriving home they had immediately given her new instructions. She was to maintain her course to become an attorney general, but her field of work was shifted now more towards criminal justice then governing. When she was asked why though the only response she received was to trust them. And trust she did. But that did little to calm her nerves.

“Here it is Mother, drive to this address, please. We’ve found were to launch our trial. This will be ground zero for our first attempt.” Blinking slowly, Amelia stopped the car before looking at the address her daughters had written down for her. Furrowing her brow, however, she soon grew confused. This was in the downtown suburbs of the city… and in a bad part of them as well.

‘What on earth could you two possibly get out of this area?’ It was about as ghetto as you could get. Gang members littered the streets; criminals were well known to inhabit it. It was a horrible place to live. Hearing a dark giggle from behind her, however, the blonde soon grew stiff. “We’re well aware of how deplorable of a place it is… and this is why it will suit our needs. We have a new plan now Mother, one in which we’ll fix the world in a different way… a more passive one. But we need a test group. And this will be our Guinee pig.” She pointed to the address.

Sighing, Amelia nodded her head before putting her car back in drive. If they wanted her to head there then she’d take them… But God help whoever tried to mess with them, though. If someone tried to confront them in this forsaken district, they would meet a rather gruesome fate…

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

Pulling up to the address she had been given, Amelia gawked in utter shock by what she saw. “P-Precious youth… D-D-Daycare?” There was a freaking Daycare in the middle of this horrible area! Who would be as irresponsible as this to leave their child in this place?! Windows were broken and duck taped over, the door had cracks running through it, and dozens of shutters had fallen or were in the process of. She could swear there was a hole in the roof as well.

Glancing to the outside of the building her eyes soon scanned a small play area… and it made her sick to her stomach. The grass was all dead, and the playwear looked to be homemade and crumbling. This… this was despicable. Stepping out of the car, both Sophia and Alexis looked over the building before grinning.

It was much worse than they had first seen online. With no stars rating from all three of its reviews, they had expected it to be a garbage establishment but this was better than they could have ever imagined. “This will do nicely.” ‘Indeed.’

Looking at her two little girls in disbelief, Amelia quickly moved in front of them before crossing her arms. “A-A-ABSOLUTELY NOT! I’m not letting you two go into… into this!” She screeched. Sighing, Sophia moved her hand to the side before the woman felt herself step to the side on her own. “Damn it, Sophia, stop this and listen to me!”

“Mother, just sit in the car and wait for us… we will be perfectly fine.” Whimpering, the woman grit her teeth angrily before lowering her head in shame. ‘We don’t think less of you for us going in there. This is our decision, not yours. Please just wait for us. We’ll be back shortly.’ Nodding her head in defeat, Amelia closed her eyes before going back inside the car sadly.

She wanted to be their Mother… but she couldn’t control them even if she wanted to. Not when they had their minds set on something. And whatever this was about… they had a resolve of steel. She’d just have to follow along as she was taken for the ride as usual… regardless of if it made her sick to her stomach.

Stepping up to the building, Alexis reached for the door knob before feeling her hand stopped mid touch. “I wouldn’t risk it. This place is littered with disease.” Nodding thankfully, Alexis smiled at Sophia before the older of the two pushed the door open on its own.

Stepping inside, their eyes grew dark by what they saw. The wooden floors were splintered and cracked. The wallpapers what had once been colorful and bright was faded and ripped. There were in fact cracks in the ceiling as well with something dripping down from them… hopefully water.

But what was most troubling to them… was the state of the residents. Children were there, a lot of them actually. Toddlers and babies of all ages littered the rooms, unsupervised. Kids were screaming, children were fighting… this was horrible…

‘Broken furniture, filthy germ-riddled toys…’ “C-Crying infants… and smaller children being bullied by bigger ones…” Shaking their heads slowly, both their fists clenched before they strode inward. Looking around for whoever was in charge of this place, they soon had to make their way past the onslaught of screaming kids before they found the backroom they figured was the office.

Pushing the door open, both pairs of red eyes landed on a woman in her late forties. She was somewhat robust with a general uncaring demeanor. Her hair was losing color as well and was a dark shade of gray, but they could tell that it was fake. It was dyed and was actually much lighter. As the woman sat there both girls grew even angrier by her presence as she held a phone sideways in her hands as she watched something.

They didn’t even need to check her… it was abundantly clear that she was a monster. “We need to have a word with you… Meriam.” Alexis spoke in a quiet tone before feeling her anger rise. She was so focused on whatever she was watching that she didn’t even hear her! Raising her hand up, Sophia flicked her finger before the phone the woman had been holding just moments prior shot into her hand.

Jumping the woman looked up startled before looking at the two blondes in front of her. “What the fuck? Hey, give that back you brat!” Feeling her lips twitch into a cruel smile, Sophia looked at the phone before crushing it in her hand like it was made of paper.

Gawking, the woman stood up quickly in rage before stomping over to them. “You tiny bitch! Get your ass over here so  I… can…” Growing stiffer with each step, the older woman looked down confused as she saw her body spasm as she tried to move. “So you can what, exactly?” Alexis smiled cruelly.

“W-What’s going on, what the hell?!” Tossing the broken phone aside, Sophia soon crossed her arms behind her back as she observed the woman with contempt. “Come along with us Meriam, we have something to discuss with you.” Attempting to scream, the woman soon felt her mouth shut on its own before she whimpered in pain, her teeth digging into her lips painfully.

“She said for you to come with us, not to open your putrid mouth,” Alexis whispered venomously. Walking out of the room with the woman following them robotically, both twins soon came to the main play area of the daycare.

“Let’s play a game. We’ll ask a question, and you answer it truthfully. But for each answer you don’t tell us truthfully, we hurt you... a lot.” Alexis added viciously. Struggling and screaming through her closed mouth, the woman was utterly terrified now. What was going on, who were these two little monsters and what the hell were they doing to her!

“Monsters… heh, what does that make you then?” Sophia chided before pointing to the room. “Question one… Why are these children, these infants under your supervision… fighting?” She snapped. Feeling her lips open on her own, Meriam screamed before having her lips shut once again. “Wrong answer. We were looking more for something like… you don’t like children so you don’t care what they do to each other. Am I correct dear sister?”

Smirking Alexis nodded. “Right you are. So since you got the answer wrong, here’s your penalty.” Watching as Alexis moved towards her, the woman tried to scream again but she still couldn’t move. Extending her finger, the little blonde gave her skin a gentle flick before the woman doubled over in pain nearly falling off her feet in the process had Sophia not been holding her up.

Watching her skin constricting on itself and expand from the simple touch both girls grinned. “I changed your pain receptors when we took control of you. The pain is about ten times more noticeable now. If you stub your toe, it would be on par with breaking a bone…” She whispered quietly before directing her dark gaze upwards at the horrified woman.

“So let’s continue our little game. Try to answer properly this time.” Following in turn behind the girls once again, Alexis looked around before watching as a pair of boys tugged on a little brunette’s hair as she cried. Souring, Sophia stepped past them before lifting them both up by their overalls. Screaming the kids flailed in her arms before the blonde tossed them gently back sending them tumbling on their butts.

“Don’t pick on others…” Screaming and crying the two little boys ran away now but she wasn’t about to give them sympathy. Someone else needed it. Looking down at the cowering toddler as she cried loudly, Sophia leaned down before picking her up.

“Calm down, they won’t pick on you now. You’re alright…” Scanning her mind for interactions such as this, the blonde nodded before bouncing the girl lightly like she had seen in a video year’s ago. Sniffling, the little girl soon calmed down before looking up at Sophia in silence.

Smiling down at her, the older blonde grinned before patting her head where her hair had been pulled. “Question two. What is her name?” Sophia whispered quietly before looking at Meriam. Feeling her stomach drop, the elderly woman felt her lips released… but she was silent.

She didn’t have a clue who this kid was… ‘Wrong answer.’ Screaming in pain once again as she felt Alexis pinch her leg, Meriam soon fell to her knee’s crying. Why were they doing this to her? She had never seen these freaks in her life.

Setting the child down calmly, Sophia smiled at the girl before ruffling her light brown hair. “Go play with some girls May. I’m sure they won’t pick on you like those mean boys did.” Turning her head quietly, the little girl soon nodded before crawling away. Looking back at the woman, Sophia shook her head angrily before crossing her arms.

“Her name was May. The two boy’s names were Trevor and Mark. The three girls behind you are Belle, Mary, and Sue. The two over there who are brother and sister are Jarod and Stephanie. They all have names, they all have lives. You know none of them because you’re a Monster. You opened a daycare not because it was appealing… not because you wanted to help children… and not because you cared for them. You simply opened it because of the negligent parents this city has an abundant supply of and the fact you get support checks for this place to keep it fully suited and functioning… but, I don’t see where that money was used.” Sophia whispered before waving her hand around the area.

“Leaky roofs… and broken floors. Children are getting injured daily here! They can get sick or infected at this age! And you just use the money the government gives you… to stuff your fat face… and improve the life you live at home. You think us Monsters but you’re the Monster!” Alexis snapped angrily.

Grabbing her sister’s hand, Sophia grunted in restraint as she held Alexis back from striking the woman’s face. She still had her pain receptors heightened… and a hit like that would be the equivalent of getting struck by lightning…

Cowering before the to omnipotent children, the aging woman tried to crawl away but Sophia would have none of that. “Question three…” She whimpered as her hand rose up to control her once more. “Who owns this Daycare…” Sobbing loudly, the woman shook her head before sputtering her answer. “M-M-Me…”

 

Grinning darkly, both girls chuckled ominously. “Wrong answer…”

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

Watching as buildings passed by outside their car, both Sophia and Alexis were silent as they thought over what they had spoken of with Claire that day. They were on their way back from Georgia after a quick stop to see their secret crush and conspirator, and she gave them a lot to think about this time around.

They had been talking about plans for their future, not that she knew what they were really doing but they kept her in the loop cryptically none the less. And it proved her insight, even if it wasn’t one hundred percent knowing, was still invaluable. But this time around… she had mentioned something that they never thought about.

‘Do you have any friends helping you with your project?’ Sighing, neither girl said a word as they kept thinking the conversation over and over. ‘Friends… we have none. Except for you Claire…’ Did she count as a friend? They didn’t know what she even was at this point. A guide… a love interest… a foolishly naive yet informative individual?’

Strumming her fingers on the window, Sophia looked out at the city as she thought hard on the subject of friendship. “We don’t have friends… we never have. Why do we need them, though, we have each other.” Nodding her head, Alexis leaned into her sister as she let her hand caress her gently. “Friendship is supposed to be strong, and unbreakable. It’s between two individuals who see the value in one another… but what value do we need from others?”

They had all the power in the world at their very fingertips… yet, even so, they had recently failed in their past endeavors. “Perhaps… she was right again.” Looking up at her sister, Alexis smiled quietly as she continued to lounge on her sibling lap. ‘How would they help us?’ “We’ll figure it out when the time comes.”

 

Perhaps it was time. Time for someone else to shoulder their burden with them…

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

Studying the girl in front of them quietly, neither Alexis nor Sophia said a word as they let her finish her food. She looked about ready to pass out to. Scarfing handful after handful of fries and bite-sized burgers in her mouth that the diner had served them, the two twins soon grew a bit sick to their stomachs. ‘Her table manners are lacking horribly…’ ‘She didn’t have anyone teach her proper etiquette either. Do not judge.’

Nodding her head in silence, Sophia closed her eyes before finally speaking. Now was a good a time as any. “Have you had enough time to think on what we requested of you?” Moving a fistful of fries away for a moment, the little toddler in front of them looked up in confusion before frowning. “W-What do you need Kat to do again?”

Sighing, Alexis patted her sister's back as she felt her frustration but this was good… for both them and her. They were learning patience, something this child had seemingly worn thin in a matter of hours, and they, in turn, were giving her hope. Hope for a better future then what her die had cast.

“We need you to become, our friend. This friendship will be different than most though Kat. You will be one of our… Horsemen.” Sophia grinned. It seemed the title was appropriate. They were going to cause an apocalypse, and they needed people to lead it with them.

Squinting her eyes, Kat looked between them again before shaking her head. “But what do you need Kat to do?” Tagging her sister to step up now, Alexis mimicked her sister as she sighed. They had explained this same conversation to her at least ten times now. She had a rather limited attention span.

“I’ll try to make this as simple as possible for you to comprehend. Are you following me so far?” Nodding her head as she continued to stuff her mouth Kat tried extra hard to pay attention to all the big words the older girls were saying. They were being really nice to Kat.

“We will help you, Kat. We will make you strong, and smart, and make you anew with our gifts.” Alexis whispered before looking to her sister. Raising her finger as a salt shaker rose into the air, Kats eyes widened in excitement. “WOW, CAN KAT DO THAT TO!”

Dropping the condiment swiftly, both girls cringed before looking around. Thankfully no one had seen that. “That is for you to decide. If you choose to follow us and become our friend, we will gift you with powers beyond your comprehension. And in turn, you must listen and follow us to the tee. If we say jump, you jump.” “And if we tell you to do something you do it. You can question us all you want, but you must not disobey us.” “So once again, do you accept our gift?”

Blinking once, then twice, Kat soon furrowed her brow. “Can you tell Kat what you want again?” Thumping their heads on the table, the blondes groaned unanimously before shaking them. She had to be doing this on purpose now.

 

This was just cruel and unusual torture…

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

Crying in a dirty corner of her Daycare, a little brunette sniffled before sobbing into her blackened pink rabbit hoodie. Watching as a pair of boys began approaching her once again like they did every day, the little toddler whimpered before hiding her face beneath the fabric of her shirt. They wouldn’t stop picking on her…

“Let go, let go! Mommy!” Lifting her head slowly as she heard a loud crying from the two children who had been harassing her, the toddler looked up before staring in awe by what she was seeing. Standing in front of her, was an older girl, with blonde twin tails. And in her hands were the two boys who had been picking on her for months.

“Say you’re sorry, both of you!” Sophia snapped. Crying loudly, both boys muttered their apologies before Sophia turned them around to look at her. “I told you last time to stop picking on her! If you do it again I’ll tell your Mothers!” Cowering, both children cried louder before they were dropped to the ground.

Watching in shock as they ran away, the little brunette looking up at her savior in silent reverence. Someone was being nice to her… Kneeling in front of the younger girl, Sophia extended her hand before smiling warmly. “You have a very gentle aura about you. Would you like to be me and my sister's friend May? We promise after we’re done with you, you’ll never fear bullies again. And we never break our promises.”

Sniffling, May whimpered quietly before smiling. “K…” Hugging the girl gently, Sophia smiled happily as she looked over to her sister and Kat. May was a simple choice, one that had considered long before the thought of making friends even occurred to them. She would be the restraint they needed, even if they didn’t know it.

 

They had found their second Horsemen…

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

“KAIA! What did we tell you about making messes! Go change immediately you’re an embarrassment to your father! Actually, go to your room… you’ve shamed us enough already.” Looking up at her mother silently, Kai whimpered in sadness before going towards the staircase. Bowing respectfully to the adults that passed her by like she had been taught, it didn’t take her long to reach the top before she made a b-line for her room.

Shutting the door, and now alone, tears filled her eyes. “I-I’m sorry…” Moving to her bed, the little brunette cried softly as she shook her head. She couldn’t please them… and they hated her for it. All she did was drop a horderve she had snatched from the kitchen. It wasn’t her fault she was hungry… her dinner time wasn’t till after the party and that still didn’t end for another couple of hours.

Lying in her bed, Kai sniffled before reaching into her empty pocket. She had tried to grab a few more before her Mother caught her… but, she had failed. “Having a guest snatch your food because you told them you were too short to reach it. Clever girl.” Screaming, Kai shot up in fright as she saw her door wide open.

In place of its frame, were two little girls dressed in royal red dresses? She had seen them once that night actually when they were with another woman who looked like them but she hadn’t spoken with either of them. So… what were they doing in her room?

Leaving the door open behind them, Sophia stepped forward before pulling something out from behind her back. Glancing to the plate full of food, Kai soon shivered with desire. “We brought you something. Your parents didn’t plan on letting you have dinner because of your… scandal.” She smirked.

Moving to the end of the bed, the blonde soon sat down without waiting for an invitation from the girl before placing the plate down between them. Moving to a desk chair next to them, Alexis took it before wheeling herself over to the troubled girl as she stared at them, the door, and the food she really wanted.

“W-Why are you here?” Pushing the plate closer wordlessly, Sophia smiled coyly before looking to her sister. “You have an ingenious mind, a cunning one. You have such insight we find valuable. We came here with a peace offering. So please enjoy, and let us speak our minds while you do.”

Looking between the door and the food again in fear, her stomach soon won her internal conflict before Kai started snatching the small tidbits of food her parents had prepared for their guests… not for her. Lacing their fingers, both girls watched Kai with interest as they thought about what they could do for her.

“We want you to be our friend Kaia. No, Kai. You prefer to go by that name instead, am I correct? Nodding her head slowly unsure of why she even knew that, Alexis continued. “We came here to offer you something. Something wonderful… and something you’ll be able to use fully to aid us.” Pausing as she finished chewing a mouthful of food, Kai swallowed before looking between them both. “W-What do you want?” Looking to the door, Sophia’s hand rose before it shut on its own.

Gawking, the brunette dropped the food she had been holding and looked back at the blonde in silent wonder. How did she do that! Chuckling, both siblings gave the girl a short demonstration of their abilities before continuing with their offer. “We have gifts, Kai, gifts we will share with you. All we want in return is your loyalty and your trust. We want you to become our friend. And in return, we will grant you your freedom. Do you not see the shackles around your ankles and the cuffs upon your wrists? Let us free you. Let us free your mind, your body, and then from there… choose where you want to go.”

Glancing at her hands and feet, Kai furrowed her brow as she tried to make sense of their words, but, she got the rough understanding. They wanted to help her… Looking at them once more, Kai smiled slowly before nodding her head. “What do you want me to do?” She wanted to be free…

 

Grinning, Sophia and Alexis’s hands rose before moving towards the girl. She was about to be free alright… and in turn, she would become their third Horsemen…

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

Watching the roads pass her by as they drove in circles, Lily observed the rain falling all around her as her downcast eyes continued to stare off into the distance. “So what do you say… will you join us, and become the fourth Horsemen? We promise you your life will get better. Our gifts are limitless, and our power plentiful. All of it can be yours. All you must do is say yes.”

Looking away from her reflection the raven-haired child looked to Sophia and Alexis wordlessly before glancing to their mother. Narrowing their eyes, Alexis shook her head slowly. “No… she loves us dearly, and what you have aren’t parents… their Monsters. In time you will know the difference. And what you do with your knowledge is up to you. It is our goal to one day rid the world of all Monsters… and to do it, we have friends to assist us… our Horsemen.”

Sophia whispered. This was a tough conversation for both of them. Unlike any of their other friends, Lily was different, much different. Her mind was adapted. She was intelligent from such a young age, gifted even. To give her their gifts… she could possibly become their greatest creation and their strongest friend.

Looking down at her hands, Lily’s eyes quietly shut on their own. It freaked her out at first to learn what these two twins were... but, they didn’t hurt her. And they wanted to do stuff for her. She wasn’t afraid of them… not like she was of everyone else back home.

Was this her destiny? ‘Yes…’ Opening her eyes, Lily nodded slowly before giving her response. “You said… that each of the other people you’re friends with made a single wish. Can… can I make a wish to?” Grinning from ear to ear, both Sophia and Alexis nodded.

“Four Horsemen, four friends… and four wishes. With time, all will come true. Tell us your wish Lily, and we will make it come true. Feeling her resolve harden now, the troubled child nodded once more before speaking her wish.

Smiling, both siblings nodded their heads before having their mother pull the car around. “Your wish will be granted, Lily. You have our word.” Raising their hands to the girl, they soon prepared to give her, her gift. In time, all her troubles would be a thing of the past… and their council would be complete.

 

They were now just missing one thing. The most important person to their entire agenda. The one who started it all, to begin with…

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

~ Dillard, Georgia ~

 

 

“How… how could this have happened… we were only gone for a few months!” Sophia cried angrily as she clenched her fists.

They had arrived here a week ago and had been waiting in their usual meeting spot every day for Claire to show up. But she never came. Today had been the final straw. They had to see her! But… she wasn’t going there anymore. They had to go to her.

Arriving at her house, her address having been drilled into their minds, they soon discovered what had become of their crush. She… she was broken, again… She had once been broken, but someone fixed her… but now that person was gone… and she was hollow once more. And it was all their fault…

They left her here. They left her here in this god forsaken town knowing how hard it was for her to get by. And the one ray of hope she clung to so dearly, left her. If only they had been here to comfort her when it happened! ‘W-We couldn’t have known…’ “WE SHOULD HAVE!” Sophia wailed angrily.

Anyone… they could have let down anyone… but not her. Not their Claire. They had abandoned her to with their latest project. Things were going splendidly for them… and they had forgotten about her plight. And this was their punishment.

Crying amongst one another, Alexis wiped her tears away as she saw Claire’s lifeless expression through her bedroom walls. She looked utterly miserable. Like life didn’t matter anymore… and… and… Feeling her breath hitch, Alexis stumbled for a moment before gasping in the horrific realization.

She was thinking about death again… Looking at her sister in shock, Sophia shook her head angrily. “SHE WOULDN’T DO IT!” ‘But… she wants to…’ Clenching their fists, both blondes eyes hardened before they looked back at her house… no, her jail.

“Alexis…” “Yes, Sophia…” “We’re pushing the project forward. It’s time we bring her into the fold. It’s time we return her kindness… even if she’s not ready to receive it yet.” Nodding her head, Alexis’s eyes shut as she made the preparations in mind for what was to come.

 

Claire wouldn’t accept them. She wouldn’t. She wasn’t ready to learn of their world. But, they would force her to… for her own sake… and for theirs…

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

Sitting together in their car, both Sophia and Alexis had hardened expressions as they waited patiently. They had to get this right, less they let Claire down… again. ‘Do you think it’s enough?’, “It’s neither too little nor too much. She’s smart. She’ll know immediately what to do with it, and if she doesn’t, we’ll guide her.”

Nodding, Alexis soon stiffened before closing her eyes. ‘Here she comes.’ Glancing out their window both girls grew saddened as they saw their long-time crush walking home… no, their love. They knew the difference now. This was no ordinary obsession. She was perfect in their eyes… more perfect than they could ever hope to be. But seeing her now… it hurt them. She looked… lifeless… As she stumbled towards her porch, Alexis quickly stepped in.

‘Check the mail.’ Watching as the girl paused mid-step, her attention shifted back to her mailbox before she went over to it. After grabbing the documents and scanning them, she made it about halfway to her door before something caught her eye.

‘Yes… you have an aunt. She loved you dearly. Remember her… and open her letter.’ Smiling at her sister’s mental commands, Sophia nodded her head. They had both grown stronger in the years they had known Claire. She had pushed them to better themselves and with it, their abilities were more honed than they used to be.

She could control specific aspects of all reality itself, and her sister could bend people around her fingers without them so much as cracking. It was truly terrifying in retrospect… but unless it were a Monster, they would never harm someone else.

Watching as the brunette stumbled after reading their letter and seeing the check they had written out for her, Sophia moved her hand upwards as she smiled in amusement. She had almost fallen off her feet in surprise. “Steady Claire, don’t pass out on us now.”

As the girl regained her balance both blondes nodded. She’d be alright now. Rolling up the window, both Sophia and Alexis turned to their Mother before telling her to take them back to the hotel. Their job was done for the day but they’d be staying here for a while.

Until Claire was safely on her way to Philadelphia, they weren’t letting her out of their sights… It was going to be a long summer ahead of them. But once they returned... they would have their love right where she belonged.

 

She would be free.

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

~ Present time ~

 

 

Panting on top of the small table she had been sitting on, Claire gazed downward as she recalled everything. How she had met the twins in her secret grotto. How they had lashed out at her. How she eventually befriended them. How they strolled along with her… accompanied her… accepted her. She was their friend… at least, that’s what her mind was telling her. She had taken them to her daycare, and they got to know Kim and Annabelle as well. They had been in her life… for years…

Looking up slowly, sweat beaded down the brunette’s brow as she shivered with unknown emotions. Gazing upon the two little blondes in front of her, a foreign look passed over her now. She wasn’t staring at a pair of Twins… she was staring at Sophia Artiste and Alexis Artiste… daughters of Mrs.… no, that wasn’t right… their mom wasn’t a school teacher at her old high school like they had told her.

She was the attorney general for the state. All their memories… she could see them too. They were coursing through her mind and inhabiting her memories. She saw them… their lives... how they came to find her… and how they brought her here. It was like watching a puzzle slowly assembling itself in her mind… but, when it finished it showed the image to her clearly. She may have just come here… but it wasn’t by her own doing…

She had been played… all along. Shuddering beside the speechless girl, all four of the twin’s friends as well were in just as much disbelief. They had been witness to the memories as well. “No way… No freaking way…” Kai muttered as she went over what she had just seen. They… they had all been brought together… because of Claire?

But… but why did the twins have them judge her then!? It didn’t make sense, this was backward's… Looking up at the brunette’s blank expression, May tugged on the girl's arm but she gave no visible reaction. “C-Claire…?” Turning their eyes towards her, all of them now, both Sophia and Alexis chose now to speak… it wasn’t going to get any less painful for what they had already done.

“We did bring you here Claire… When you were stuck with no way out, and no hope to escape,” ‘We provided you with the means to do it. You are our friend Claire… and in time, we grew to see you as even more than that.’ Closing their eyes, both blondes were silent now as they waited for her to speak. They had said their part… now it was time to see how she would react, to their grand betrayal…

Looking up with blurry eyes, Claire looked to each of the girls, in turn, their expressions showing just as much disbelief, shock, or confusion as she felt now. But, there was one pair of eyes that didn’t meet hers. ‘Because she had a part to play in all of it as well…’

“Kat…” Looking to the orange haired Neko as she hung her head, the little cat girl turned away fearfully as she hid her face. Amongst the memories, she had received via Alexis… there was one that struck her the hardest amongst them all. She had seen Kat with them... she had seen her face and had been with them when they came to Georgia once as well. Did she know about her all along?

“Y-You knew… and you didn’t tell me?” Folding her ears downward, the youngest of the group crawled backward's slowly as she shook her head. “K-Kat… Kat couldn’t-“, “She was following our commands.” Feeling her eyes widen, Claire’s head shot up as she stared to the twins now, their expressions made of stone as to not betray what they really felt.

“If you choose anyone to call fault on, let it fall on us. Not her…” As the others all looked to Kat now, Kai soon growled. “What… the… hell! Why didn’t you two tell us any of this!?” The younger brunette snapped angrily. Glaring at the Hawaiian native, Sophia clenched her fists slowly but she didn’t back down from her enraged look.

“What, you’ll tell one of us something this monumental but not all of us! Why did Kat know who Claire was but we were left in the dark?” “That’s enough Kai… you don’t understand the situation we were in-““Screw that! You say we’re your friends, and you wanted us to help you but why should we help you when you don’t even trust us!” Slamming her hands on the table, Sophia soon grew just as angry as their friend was.

“You don’t understand!”, “THEN MAKE ME UNDERSTAND!” “C-Claire…?” Blinking, both girls immediately stopped their argument as they looked to the older girl as she finally stood up. Taking a stumbling step forward, the brunette’s vision blurred as she tried to walk. “H-Hey Claire, are you alright?” Turning back to Kai slowly, her head gently shook before she clenched her eyes…

“I… I need to think… I need to get away…” Before any of the girls could ask what she meant by that… she was gone. Running away from the group entirely, Claire’s eyes were shut tightly as tears streamed down her cheeks. She didn’t know what was going on anymore… and it hurt…

She had trusted them… and they had betrayed her… just like everyone else. Only this time, it hurt much worse than it had last time. More than it had with Brittney… with her family… with her old friends… with any of them. She could have been betrayed by anyone, but not them…  Not after all she had been made to feel for them…

Standing completely still, both Sophia and Alexis felt their breath’s hitch as air refused to enter their lungs. This… this hurt them too. Claire was hurting… and she was hurting them with what they had done to her. Watching as each of their friends took off after the disgruntled girl till only one remained, both sisters moved to the table before sitting down.

 

Gazing slowly at the wooden desk, both siblings grew angry.

 

 Four years of planning…

 

Four years of hard work…

 

Four years of nurturing her trust…

 

And it was gone in a matter of seconds…

 

Gazing up at the door she had gone through, both their irises glowed an eerie red as tears fell down their cheeks.

 

Claire wasn’t coming back…

 

 

..

 

.

 

 

 

To be continued…

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Well, its finished, but i'm sure you now have more questions after all of that. Please review your thoughts to me. You know how dearly i cherish them. And the responces i've gotten last chapter and the one prior have just left me giddy.

Thank you all for reading this far along. And look foward to the approuching end. It will be one to look foward to, I promise.

By guys!