- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Whistles loudly...

 

This sure did take awhile xD

 

Welcome back all, it's been awile. I hope I wasn't gone to long. This chapter took the longest by far out of all the others to write and for good reason. I think you all know what to expect from this one and i hope it answers some of the questions you might have.

I had to constantly go back and forth with it as I fought to tell it but... i think it's time.

 

Please enjoy :)

(Four years ago…)

 

 

Tears streamed down Claire’s cheeks as she ran. Ran away from her best friend… ran away from the shame she felt… the pain… the sorrow… Crying loudly as she shook her head, the brunette went to the only place she could think of to be truly alone in her misery.

As she came to a small park, she ran past the tree line before coming to a small lake next to it. Sniffling as she wiped away her tears, Claire quickly moved to a large oak tree centered next to the body of water before climbing up a small branch at the base.

Almost like steps carved into the tree itself, she soon reached the top before walking down a small pathway someone had built on here many years ago. She didn’t know who did it but after she found this little hidden tree dock she knew it would be her place to go whenever life got her down… but, that might have been an understatement for what had just happened tonight.

Jumping off the branch, she landed softly on the small walkway before looking out over the lake. Moving to the edge, the brunette sunk to her knee’s before burying her face in them. ‘D-Damn it… damn it, damn it, damn it, damn it, damn it!’

Crying out in pain, she wailed loudly, aware that no one around would hear her here. Sniffling as her tears dripped down from her cheeks into the murky waters below her, she watched the lake ripple before she shook her head.

“Why… Why did you say that…?” Why had Brittney acted like that? T-They were friends… Sure it had to have come as a shock… but to openly call her disgusting and make her leave? Gritting her teeth, Claire shook her head angrily. Not at her friend… but at herself.

“D-Damn it…” She whimpered once more, the only thing she could say at this point was that. She had probably ruined one of the seldom friendships she even had… and all on accident. ‘I… I didn’t tell her right… I… I should have waited…’

She should have just kept it inside… it was quite clear to her now that her friend only saw her as a friend… they didn’t see one another the same, she should have realized that. Sputtering as she wiped down her face, Claire soon fell over as she laid on the wooden dock in despair.

‘W-W-What do I do now…’ She was lost. Whenever she had troubles… Brittney was the first person she went to, to talk about them… they never had a fight like this before. ‘F-Family…?’ Scoffing, Claire shook her head in anger.

Her family… wasn’t exactly the best of choices. She was a middle child with a younger and older sister. Her older sister seemed to think of her as a parasite instead of a sibling, and her younger one was pampered and snotty towards her. She would deliberately try to argue with her because of their parents and how they favored her side more often than naught.

While she did love her mom and dad… it was impossible not to notice the favoritism in her family. Both her mother and father kept her younger sister sheltered like some type of porcelain doll, and the moment something *bad* happened, it was never her fault.

Sighing, Claire shook her head in sadness. If she went to her family, her parents probably would be to preoccupy with her to even care about her little mistake… and her older sister would simply laugh at her and make fun of her for it.

Hell, she’d probably get whipped in the process. Scowling at the spankings she recalled when she was younger, Claire shivered. Her parents were very close minded… especially towards… certain, types of people. They wouldn’t approve or tolerate what she had done or how she saw her friend.

Gulping silently, the brunette closed her eyes before taking a deep breath, attempting to calm her nerves in the process. Her family couldn’t know about this… Thinking about her other friends, however, Claire soon grimaced.

She had a total of three, one being Brittney, who after tonight might not be one anymore. The problem with her other two, however, was the fact they had known Brittney before her. If she tried talking to them about it, they’d probably just take her side…

‘What side, it was an accident!’ Growling, Claire’s hand balled into a fist as she banged it on the wooden dock. She knew this… m-maybe if Brittney did… then things could go back to normal… Blinking slowly, Claire soon leaned up before sitting up properly, some of her distress having left her for the moment.

Wiping away her lingering tears, Claire looked out over the lake before sighing silently. “C-Calm down… you can fix this Claire… you can!” She told herself confidently, some of it false, but she knew she needed to think positive or else she’d end up tearing up once more.

Feeling herself shaking steadily, Claire soon looked down at her hand before pouting. She was shivering with fear… doubt still racked her mind and she knew it. ‘You have to try…’ Nodding slowly, Claire smiled sadly.

She had to talk to somebody… if she didn’t, she’d explode! She just felt so much pain and sadness, and confusion, and… and… Shaking her head, the brunette chuckled sadly. She hadn’t a clue what she felt actually. It was like she couldn’t even decide on what troubled her more.

Looking back over the water, Claire soon calmed like she had wanted to as she watched the gentle breeze of the night washing over the surface. She had left Brittney’s house at dusk and judging how dark outside it was she had probably been here for an hour.

Flopping on her back, Claire stared up at the full moon as she looked at its white silhouette. “Tonight was supposed to be the night…” Feeling tears beginning to fall once more, Claire soon closed her eyes and just laid there.

 

She knew what she had to do… but, for now, she had to just stay put, and let her anguish out on its own. She could fix this… but she had to fix herself first.

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

 

Stepping onto her porch quietly, her curfew having long passed, Claire took a deep breath before opening her front door. She was calmed… well, calmer than earlier. She gave herself plenty of time to think, plenty of time to plan.

She was going to go to Brittney’s house first thing in the morning before school, and just explain what had happened. Apologize, make it up to her. She wasn’t ready to lose her friend over something like this. As much as it hurt her… she would give up her feelings for her as long as they could go back to the way they were before.

As she stepped into her house, making sure to gently close the door as to not wake anyone, Claire made it about ten steps before the Livingroom light she was currently sneaking past clicked on. Freezing up like a deer in the headlights, Claire slowly turned her head before paling.

Sitting on the couch in the living room, was her mom and her dad… and they… looked… pissed. Gulping, the brunette lowered her head in shame before walking over towards them, well aware that she had broken one of the few rules they had given her.

Standing in front of her parents, Claire’s eyes traveled over them as she observed their features. For her father, the man sat with one of his legs resting across his lap, his arms crossed sternly as he scowled at her, a silent anger rolling off of him she could feel directed directly at her.

He was middle aged, about 40 in appearance. He had brown hair and a trimmed beard with light flakings of gray dotted in. He was currently wearing a pair of matching pajamas indicating something had either woken him up or more accurately he had been waiting for her to come home this whole time and never went to sleep, to begin with.

Directing her gaze towards her mother, Claire shivered with just as much fear. With similar attire as her father, the younger woman being about 36 in age was next to the wall where she had turned on the light for them. Her long blonde hair currently rolled up like she did most nights before she went to sleep with her dad.

Looking back to her dad in silence, his hand soon rose as he pointed to the dining room chair they must have brought in at some point that night… specifically for her, it seemed. Sighing, she walked over towards it slowly before sitting down in worry. Unable to meet their gaze for some reason, Claire silently clenched her hands as she waited for the verbal assault sure to follow.

Her parents were never lenient with their lectures and this was shaping up to be a long one. “Well. Do you have anything to say for yourself?” The older man asked quietly as he gave her a dark look. Licking her lips to speak, Claire sighed before shaking her head.

“N-No dad… I, I just lost track of time I guess… I’m so sorry for staying out so late, I-It won’t happen again.” Claire whispered quietly. It seemed like her dad was really pissed this time which was somewhat surprising. She was usually pretty good at keeping her curfew intact and-“

“Do you think this is funny?!” Her father snapped loudly drawing Claire’s attention back. “W-W-What?” The brunette stammered in confusion. Standing up angrily, the man looked down at his daughter before gritting his teeth.

“Don’t try to make jokes out of this, Brittney called and told us everything that happened!” He barked. Feeling the confusion leave her instantly, Claire soon paled. ‘N-N-No…’ she didn’t want them to find out… not like this…

“I… I…” Claire whispered as she tried to speak, her voice coming and going on its own as she tried to recompose herself. “How could you do something like that to your friend?! What on earth was going through your mind young lady?!” He screamed loudly at her causing the brunette to feel tears welling up in her eyes once more.

“I-I-It… was an accident…” Claire croaked out in all but a hushed whisper. Looking at her enraged now, the older man moved his hand up to Claire’s head before pushing her chin up so she was looking directly at him. “Accident?! How do you accidently molest your best friend?!” He screamed in rage.

Freezing up, Claire’s expression went blank now as she looked up at her father, her mind suddenly not working as she processed what he had just said. “W-W-When… when I what…?” Letting go of her chin, her father paced back and forth shaking his head.

“This, this is unacceptable. Why… why would you do something like this?” He asked more in his own shock then as an actual question. As Claire heard her father rambling on and on about what she had done, each word… felt like a small sinker, slowly being attached to her body, pulling her quicker, and quicker, towards the despair coming all back to her at once.

“And after all that you had to be thrown out because you wouldn’t leave?! What the hell was wrong with you!” As the man finally finished, Claire’s expression was lifeless as she heard the tale her father just told her… the tale Brittney… had told him.

How she had come onto her while they watched a movie together… a smutty film to course her into the mood… then how she tried to feel her up to speed things along… and finally when she was asked to stop and leave… how she tried to assault her before she was thrown out.

Shaking her head in disbelief that her friend would lie about something like this, let alone say it behind her back, Claire’s mouth simply hung agape… no words uttered. She was just… speechless. ‘B-B-But… but I, I didn’t do any of that…’ Looking towards her mother as she saw her crying, Claire shook her head once more.

“I… I didn’t…” Pausing, her father looked back at her before scowling. “You didn’t what young lady! Think about the consequences of your actions!” Shaking her head again, Claire soon began to cry as she felt the pain suddenly break away from her, the pain she was trying desperately to hold back.

“I DIDN’T, DO, ANY OF THAT!” Claire shrieked. Crossing his arms sternly, her father scowled at her as his eyes narrowed. “Then tell us what did happen!” Attempting to speak, Claire soon cried harder. She could tell them the truth… she wanted to. But the betrayal she felt right this second, was just too much for her to bear.

“You’re grounded until further notice. There will be consequences for this.” Not even giving her time to speak, her father roughly grabbed her by her arm before pulling her into the hallway and towards her room. “Go to your room and stay there until we come and get you in the morning… This… this is just appalling…” He muttered in disgust before forcing Claire into her bedroom.

As her door slammed shut, Claire soon fell to her knees, her pain simply too much. Pain from her actions… pain from her friend's actions… pain from her family’s actions… and pain from not knowing what to do now…

She had planned on explaining things to Brittney in the morning… but it became clear to her now… whatever friendship they had before, died tonight… and it hurt her…

 

 

It hurt…

 

 

It hurt so much…

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

Stepping into her classroom a pale as the night before, Claire’s eyes traveled over her classmates as she kept her vision focused on the one person she had been searching for. Sitting in the center of the classroom, was Brittney, and all around her were others… her other friends… her other classmates… even, even the teacher.

As she walked into the class, however, all eyes suddenly locked onto her… and the room got very, very quiet. Locking eyes with her best friend… Ex, best friend… she could feel a feeling of rage being directed at her from the look she was being given… but, she didn’t know why.

Why did she take It this badly… why was she lying about it to her family… and most likely to the rest of the class now considering all the dark looks and glares she was being given. Taking a few tentative steps forward towards her desk, an elder woman who taught the class stepped in front of her before pointing away from the others present. “Miss Abernathy, I think it's best you move to a different seat.” Looking to the corner of the room, multiple tables away from everyone else, Claire made no complaints… no laden words as she shifted her gaze back and forth from person to person… and eventually back to Brittney herself.

Looking up at her teacher in silence, Claire uttered no noise, no complaint, and simply moved towards the desk she had been presented. She was never very vocal when it came to these kinds of things. She always favored being quiet and reserve… but, she’d have to speak up at some point. She’d have to explain what had really happened. Give her side of the story and defend her pride… and, other things.

Sitting down at her new desk, Claire’s eyes traveled to Brittney once more, who seemed to not be able to meet her gaze now. “Claire! Eyes up here.” Her teacher snapped loudly drawing the brunette’s attention back to her. As the class soon began, Claire’s silence and anger grew with every minute.

Everywhere she looked… she could see hateful glances… hear snide remarks under people's breath… and feel the loneliness of true separation. Everyone was keeping their birth from her… and it stung her…

 

It stung her more than anything… knowing that no matter what she said at this point… nothing would fix, what she had broken…

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

Walking slowly down the crowded hallways of her school, Claire’s eyes turned to anyone… to everyone… but no matter where she turned… she was ostracized for what had happened. She was alone. Trembling with emotions of unknown, Claire soon moved to the northern staircase leading to the upper half of the building as she saw a specific cliché of people she had endeavored to stay as far away from as possible… but, at this point, she didn’t care. She just wanted contact with someone else… even if she knew how this would play out…

Climbing the stairs, both girls and guys stepped aside upon seeing her, the rumor having already made its way across the entire school, as they gave Claire room to pass. As she reached a small landing between the first and second floor, the brunette looked at a girl in particular who she avoided more than anyone else in the entire school… no, life in general.

She had long blonde hair pulled back into a ponytail. Dressed in all black, along with other adornments such as black nails and lips, the girl seemed rather dark in appearance. She wore a lacy spider web printed skirt and a striped black and white shirt with a black mini jacket over it. Coming up to her knees was a pair of black knee socks, one deliberately shorter than the other to throw off the symmetry.  With multiple tattoos and rings on her arms and fingers as well, her look was definitely that of Gothic appearance or at least punk from what she thought.

 As the blonde’s eyes landed on Claire, she soon grinned… however it wasn’t a smile like she was happy to see her, more, amused she was even present at all. “Well, well, you’re not here to *molest* me now to are you Claire-bear?” Blushing heavily from the name she despised, Claire wanted to snap at the girl… but she bit her tongue.

She had no one else to talk to, everyone ignored her pleas when she begged to tell them what had happened last night. “I… I didn’t, I didn’t touch her Audrey… I didn’t!” Smirking, the blonde now known as Audrey chuckled before making a waving motion with her hands. Like sheep following their leader, the various assortments of Goth kids and others soon headed up the stairs until it was just her, and Claire.

Pushing off the wall she had been leaning her back against, Audrey smiled condescendingly before circling Claire slowly, predatorily. “Well, no shit. Please… you, touching another person?” The blonde stifled a laugh before shaking her head. “God, the look on your face when Mom and Dad told you what you did… Jeez, I wish I could have seen it with my own eyes. If it was anything like what I came home to this morning, it would have made, my, day.” The blonde giggled uncharacteristically to what she was dressed like.

“Please…” Pausing from her fit of laughter; Audrey looked to Claire before her expression soured as she saw tears welling up in her eyes. “Oh quit it already, I don’t want to see the waterworks, I got enough of that when you were a kid... well, a smaller kid.” The blonde sighed before moving over to the staircase.

“Please… j-just let me explain…” Claire whimpered out through her clenched eyes. She had to tell someone… she had to give her side of the story. She… she couldn’t hold it in any longer! It was eating her from the inside out. Everyone ignoring her… Shunning her. She wanted to curl up in a ball and weep. It just hurt too much… Pausing mid-step, the blonde cast a dark look over her shoulder at the crying girl.

“And why should I even give you the time of day? I have things to do to you know. Ditch a couple classes; grab a smoke with some friends, huh, you don’t any more of those, now do you? Tell me, why should I fit you into my, busy schedule. Can’t, can you?” The blonde retorted snidely. Feeling her throat clench up, Claire grit her teeth as she stared at the older girl angrily. “P-Please…” Scoffing, the blonde turned to leave once more till Claire finally found her voice.

“YOU’RE MY SISTER!” Pausing again, Audrey sighed before looking over her shoulder darkly. “PLEASE AUDREY! I, I DON’T HAVE ANYONE ELSE TO GO TO… T-The whole school is somehow against me. In class, I’m shunned… during lunch, everyone sat away from me. For god’s sakes, even in the gym, everyone ran ahead of me!” Claire cried out in anger. “I… I tried to talk to Brittney… but, but no one would let me near her! The teachers stopped me from approaching her and all of my… my friends told me to get away from her…” Claire whispered shrilly, her voice cracking from the pain she was experiencing.

“Everyone… e-everybody… t-they won’t listen to me! B-B-But I didn’t do any of it!” Claire shrieked. All day she had heard of all the horrific things she had tried to do to Brittney and none of it was true! Crossing her arms, the gothic blonde stepped down from the staircase before glaring silently at her younger sibling.

“Listen up Claire, because I’m only going to say it once. Shit happens.” Feeling her words sting a bit, Claire looked up at her older sister speechlessly. “You need to shrug it off. For fuck's sake, don’t cry about it and whine like the little bitch I know you are. Grow up. People lie all the time, and you’re just going to have to deal with that now, and for the rest of your life, up until the day you die.” Audrey whispered coldly before turning her back to her sister.

“I told you this back in middle school and it still stand’s now. Don’t speak to me, don’t come near me, and don’t act like you know me. As far as anyone’s concerned, you’re not my sister… See ya later, Claire-bear.” She whispered darkly before walking up the stairs to rejoin her friends.

As her sister left, Claire stood frozen in the same place she had been before her legs began to shake beneath her. Stumbling backward, Claire thumped her back against the wall she hadn’t been facing before she suddenly fell down.

Sliding to the floor, Claire’s whole body shook as tears streamed down her cheeks. That was it… there was no one else… Her friends betrayed her… her family all but disowned her… and her sister still hated her… hated her so much, that she wouldn’t even listen to what she had to say…

 

 She was alone…

 

There was no one else… no light in the darkness… she was utterly, and hopelessly… alone…

 

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

(2 months later…)

 

 

Splash –

 

Splash! –

 

SPLASH! –

 

 

Claire watched the water in front of her ripple as she reached next to her to pick up another stone. Pulling her arm back, she flicked the rock across the water before it splashed into it causing more and more gentle waves to appear. It had a calming effect on her.

Reaching next to her again, Claire’s hand soon made contact with the wooden dock she was sitting on before she looked down. ‘Huh… I thought I had more…’ Shrugging in silence, she lowered her back onto the dock before looking upwards instead, her face a former shell of what it used to be.

Since… since it all started, her hair had grown out more. Her eyes held a darker coloring to them, especially beneath her lids. And her overall personality… was nonexistent anymore. After word got out from the school about what had supposedly happened… it didn’t take long for the rest of her town to find out about it.

That’s what happens in such a small, rural area sadly… everyone knows everything… and her story was the talk of the town… along with her. Closing her eyes, Claire breathed slowly as she turned her emotions off. She had been conditioning herself for weeks, and it was finally paying off.

The dark, resentful pain she had felt, was now just a gentle covering. At least when she was alone… Everyone in town… her town, the town she had grown up in, lived in… they all talked badly about her. Yet none of them even bothered to ask her what had really happened. No one let her defend herself… they just judged her blindly.

Opening her eyes, Claire seethed in rage. Anger was all she ever felt anymore… she was never happy. Never content. Never, anything… Once the sadness left her, rage was all that stayed behind. ‘Misery certainly does love my company…’ Leaning up slowly, Claire looked to her side before grabbing her drink.

On either side of her sat a small plate of cookies she had bought, and a few cans of her favorite soda. It was surprising she was even able to buy them at all. Her parents had cut her off from allowance, and it was only by her dumb luck she managed to save anything up before this whole thing started.

She had planned on saving up more, so maybe one day… she could leave this place… but, that was a just a fairy tale. She had been in the process of searching for work… before this, all began, but after her little scandal, no one would hire her.

They all despised her. Her family… her classmates… her neighbors… her town’s men. Hell… it even seemed like the animals avoided her now too. Chuckling, Claire shook her head. Humor, she missed that. Taking a deep breath, Claire sighed before taking a bite of one of her cookies.

As she rinsed it down thoroughly, Claire looked down at her watch before smiling sadly. It was just about evening… just about time for her to get out of school and her curfew to take effect like it had every day since it began. She had ditched… An act like this would have been appalling to her in the past, but what did she care… it’s not like her future mattered anymore.

‘I care for nothing…’ Lowering her gaze back to the water, Claire nodded once more. She cared little for a family who abandoned her. Her parents tried to go as far as to even *cure her* of her so-called disease by taking her to therapists and churches…

Clenching her fists, Claire felt something traveling down her cheek but she refused to acknowledge her tears. She had stopped crying a few weeks back, and she didn’t want to begin again.  She cared nothing for her so called friends…

Friends who lied about her… friends who left her side… friends who spread rumors, bad mouthed her and laughed at her… No, she had no friends. She cared… about no one… and this was all she could do to get by… until now.

 

Drip…

 

 

Drip…

 

 

Drip…

 

 

Drip…

 

 

Clenching her teeth, Claire finally wiped her tears away before glaring at her reflection in the rippling water. And finally… she cared nothing, for herself. Reaching for her soda, she quickly finished off the rest of her can before tossing it aside.

Taking a deep breath, Claire whimpered as she moved her hand towards her pocket. ‘Nothing left…’ She had nothing left in life. No friends… no family… nobody. She was alone. As she moved her hand around she soon gripped what she was looking before.

‘No one cares…’ No one did. She had thought they did at first. Some guys showed her sympathy, but it became clear almost instantly what their intentions were. Some wanted to take advantage of her vulnerability… others, as some type of conquest. Flip the dyke, they laughed in the hallways when they talked…

She could hear everything now… she was no longer blind to their words. Pulling her hand back slowly, Claire soon cupped what she was carrying as she felt more tears stain her cheeks. ‘No work…’ Job after job was rejected… all because of the words of others…

She had nothing to keep her going… she had tried… tried so hard to find hope. But, it had abandoned her just like everyone else. She was alone… deserted… martyred… imprisoned… and there was no way out… until now.

Feeling her breaths coming out more rugged now, Claire soon opened her hand as she looked down at the small, metallic object she had been concealing in her jeans. Resting in her hands… was a small switch blade which she had… borrowed, from her older sister’s purse.

As her fingers traced the outline of the little knife, Claire soon moved her thumb to the button before it clicked open to reveal its shiny surface. Running her finger over the blade, Claire soon flinched before looking down at her finger.

‘Huh…’ She was bleeding. It didn’t hurt her as much as she expected it to. This would make things easier… closing her eyes, Claire soon held her breath before moving one hand out and gripping the knife tightly in her other as she shook with fear. ‘No escape… no future…’ As more tears ran down her cheeks, Claire shook her head.

There was no other way. She couldn’t run away again… she tried… and failed. Her parents knew what she was doing and punished her. She couldn’t save up money… and, she couldn’t steal any either… she tried… but she just couldn’t. It was against her nature. She was already falsely accused of something she wasn’t… and she wasn’t about to justify all of their words.

But… she couldn’t live like this anymore… day by day… moment by moment. Watching her every action, her every word. Constantly judged from all corners of the town, from her family… from her peers… from everything!

 

SHE JUST COULDN’T LIVE WITH IT ANYMORE!

 

Whimpering as the blade began to dig into her wrist, Claire clenched her eyes shut not wanting to see what happened next… As she felt the first sting of the knife beginning to kiss her skin, Claire cried loudly as she tried to follow through what she had already started. She had to see it through… until the very… end…

 

 

“What are you doing?”

 

 

Screaming in fright, Claire jumped before gasping as the blade suddenly slipped from her trembling hand. As she pawed at it in the air it soon, like the stones had earlier, splashed into the waters beneath her… before sinking down into the bottom of the lake, and away from sight entirely…

Looking at her only way out, beginning to abandon her… Claire soon grew enraged. Glaring daggers behind her, Claire rose angrily but… whatever wrath she felt from her attempted release… was suddenly vanquished as she looked upon the face of who had startled her in the first place.

Sitting up on the tree edge that rose over the dock… was a little girl. She had light auburn hair tied in small pigtails, and a thick layer of freckles dusting her cheeks. Wearing a small red and white dress, the little girl soon wiggled on her wooden seat before adjusting herself properly. As she jumped down from the branch she had climbed over she soon looked back at Claire confused.

“What were you doing? You looked real sad.” The girl called out quietly before her eyes widened. “Miss your bleeding!” Blinking a few times by the strange accent in her voice, possibly southern? No, she couldn’t place it… Claire was caught off guard by the girl running over to her.

As her hand was lifted up, Claire suddenly regained her composure before yanking her arm away from the little girl. “G-Get away!” the brunette snapped as she glared at her. She hated children. Especially children this age… they reminded her of her little sister…

Batting away the hostility, the little girl reached into her dress before pulling something out. “Here, cover it!” Looking down at her confused, Claire glanced at her wrist where the small cut she had made was beginning to leak out before directing her attention to what the child was handing her.

As she stared down at the small band aid in her hand, Claire’s lips slowly started to twitch. What began as a slight chuckle soon turned into full blown laughter as Claire shook her head in disbelief. W-Was this some kind of joke!? Interrupted from what had been her way out from this hell, and now life was even taunting her in the form of this child?!

‘W-What… what the hell’s going on?’ Claire smiled in amusement. Feeling her eyes suddenly watering, Claire soon began to shake. Feeling the mirth leave her instantly, the brunette suddenly sunk to her knees before gritting her teeth.

‘Why… why… stop me… why…’ She didn’t know what life wanted from her anymore, it already took away everything else! She… she just wanted it to end… but even now… it wanted her to feel even more pain… what cruel act did she ever commit to deserve something like this…

Feeling her hand lifted upwards, Claire ignored it this time as she continued to cry. She just wanted it all to end… all her pain… all her suffering… everything… and even now she was being spat on… how much longer would this go on…

As she felt something gently rubbing against her skin, Claire soon opened her eyes before looking down despairingly. Kneeling next to Claire, the little ginger-haired girl used her dress to wipe off her blood before pulling off the ends of the band aid she had.

Putting it over her cut, the toddler looked over her work before grinning. “All better! Oh wait,” she stopped before leaning down and giving the mark on her wrist a kiss. As she stared down at the little girl hollow of any emotions, Claire soon pulled her hand away before closing her eyes again.

“T-Thanks…” Her voice was all but a whisper, but, the little girl didn’t seem to care. Giggling, she nodded before her expression soon soured. “Does it still hurt?” Wetting her lips, Claire, moved her hand over her wrist as she traced the outline of the bandaid.

“Y-Yeah… it still hurts… it never stopped hurting…” She muttered back, unsure of why she was even playing along at this point. As a gentle warmth soon surrounded her, Claire looked down again in confusion. “W-Why… why are you hugging me?”

Pulling the larger girl into her, the little redhead smiled as she tightened her hold. “My Mom always says hugs and kisses help when we hurting, so I’m giving you a hug to feel better.” She chirped almost as if her sentence made perfect sense to anyone else.

Feeling her lips twitch, Claire nodded as she closed her eyes. “Y-You’re… Your mother… sounds like a smart woman…” As the two sat there for about five minutes, the little girl never letting go of Claire as she hugged her continuously, the brunette… felt something. Something that had been foreign to her, for many weeks now… As a light trail of tears traveled down her cheeks, Claire’s eyes opened as she lifted her hands up slowly. They were shaking… trembling. What was this feeling?

Moving them around the little girl, in turn, Claire soon hugged her back before closing her eyes again… but, the feeling was getting stronger now. “Does it still hurt?” Nodding in silence, Claire croaked out quietly as she felt her tears increase.

Moving the brunette's hand to her face again, the little girl gave the band aid another kiss before hugging her hand. “How about now?” Shuddering, Claire soon pulled the little girl tighter into her as she sobbed loudly. What had she almost done…?

Looking up at Claire confused, the little redhead moved her hands up to the brunette’s cheeks before she began wiping away her tears. “Don’t cry, I’m sorry!” Feeling her breath hitch, Claire looked down at the little toddler shocked.

“Y-Y-You think… I-I’m crying… b-because of you…?” As she nodded, Claire soon cried harder as she hugged the little girl tighter. “N-N-No… No, I-it’s not your f-f-fault… I… I just…” Claire tried to speak but her voice was leaving her.

It was coming back to her, though… not her voice… but what had been taken from her long ago... Her feelings. Greif… sadness… remorse… she had locked them away… but, they were coming back out. It hurt! Crying loudly, Claire shook her head as she let go of the confused little girl.

Cupping her shoulders as she shivered, Claire whimpered in pain as she tried to control herself. She just couldn’t stop crying, though… it wouldn’t stop. “Annabelle?” Looking up slowly, both Claire and the little redhead looked to the top of the tree where she had climbed over before and older woman soon crawled up.

“Hi, momma!” The younger girl yelled out before waving to the woman above them. Jumping down in front of them, Claire looked up slowly as she saw a woman she had never seen before. She had long red hair much like her daughters pulled behind her head with a scrunchy. Wearing a pair of jeans and a simple checked green shirt, she left little on for décor.

As she smiled upon finding her daughter who had run off to explore the new park they had found her eyes soon landed on the crying girl next to her before she grew confused. “Oh, did you find yourself a little friend sweetie?” Nodding quickly the younger girl who Claire assumed was Annabelle smiled before she moved over to Claire and hugged her once more.

“She was hurt and sad so I’m trying to make her feel better.” Raising her brow, the woman looked down at Claire as she observed her. Puffy eyes, drooping form… not to mention the small band-aid she wore matching the ones she had told her daughter to keep on her.

“Is everything alright? I get the feeling somethin's troublin you. My daughter isn’t bugging ya is she?” She muttered quietly as she continued looking Claire over. As the brunette met the strange woman’s eyes, Claire shook her head unsure of what to say.

“I… I…”, “You got a name?” Blinking, Claire nodded before standing up slowly, her voice quietly finding its way back to her. Feeling the hair on the back of her neck suddenly rise, however, the younger girl looked away, unable to meet the older woman’s gaze any longer.

“I… I should get going…” Stepping out of the little girls arms much to her confusion, Claire tried to step past the redhead before her arm suddenly shot out blocking her. “Now not so fast little missy. From the way I see it, my daughter did you a kind favor. What do you say?” She said sharply.

Looking back at her confused, Claire’s eyes suddenly widened before she looked down at her wrist. “O-Oh, s-s-sorry… Turning around, she kneeled next to Annabelle before putting on a smile as best she could. “T-Thank you… for, this…” she lifted her wrist up showing her, her band-aid she had stuck on earlier.

Giggling, the little redhead nodded before she flung her arms around Claire once more surprising her. “You’re welcome!” shivering, Claire soon smiled… however, this was sincere this time… she was actually smiling. Hugging her back, Claire soon stood once more before waving to the little girl.

As she turned to leave again, however, she was blocked once more by the older woman’s arms. Glancing to her daughter, the woman smiled before looking back towards Claire. “Anne, sweetie, why don’t you invite your new friend of yours over with us? We were just about to have lunch.”

Blinking once, then twice, Claire’s brow furrowed before her hand was suddenly grabbed by the little girls. “Yah! Come with us please!” The little redhead cheered as she tugged on Claire’s arm. Jumping in surprise, Claire was about to say decline before an arm was placed over her shoulders causing her to go rigid.

“Alright, it’s settled then. I think you’re just going to love what I made. It’s a family recipe after all.” The woman began before both her and her daughter pulled Claire along with them much to her chagrin and confusion.

 

What on earth did she just get herself into…?

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

Feeling her brow beginning to twitch, Claire looked to her left and right silently as the loud commotion around her drowned out anything she could possibly hope to hear otherwise.  After being voluntold to come with the unexpected pair, the brunette suddenly found herself sat down with the woman she now knew to be Kimberly and her daughter Annabelle. However, the fun didn’t end there! Apparently, she was some kind of school teacher or something because all around them were the other classmates of the little redhead…

She… despised, kids. A large part of it was because of how her younger sister acted but what started out as a pain to deal with in the family, turned into a full-blown hatred after she passed by the park near her school a couple months back. Apparently, stories of her horrific acts had reached the children of the town and they saw to it to try and punish her themselves… usually in the form of small rocks or miscellaneous items chucked her way. Reaching up involuntarily, Claire shivered as she felt the light bump on her skull from last week. The pebbles were starting to turn into stones…

But of course, the parents never stopped them either… What did they care that the local pervert was being *taught a lesson*? Sighing, Claire simply shook her head. She had to stop this way of thinking… but, it was rather hard to do that after she practiced shutting everyone out.

Cringing as a pair of children ran by her, Claire glowered in silence as she listened to the constant screams of children all around her. It was getting on her nerves quickly. Looking down at the food that had all but been force fed to her, Claire soon sighed again in defeat before reaching for her plate.

However, whenever she attempted to eat any, usually one of the kids around her would steal stuff off her plate, Annabelle included. Tugging, her plate from left to right and eventually upwards, Claire growled as she tumbled backward, most of her food gone at this point.

“Alright, cut it out already!” Claire finally snapped as she yanked the plate away from a toddler who was trying to play tug-ah-war with her. Chuckling, Kimberly pulled Claire’s plate back over to her before giving her a couple of the miniature sandwiches she had made for the class.

“Somethin tells me you’re not a kid kind of gal, are ya?” Nodding in silent contempt, Claire sighed before finally taking a bite of the food she had been trying to eat for the past fifteen minutes. As she enjoyed her surprisingly good meal, Claire soon lightened up.

Watching the children play, while not with her, was somewhat calming. It might have been because this was her first real interaction with other people in months… but she decided to just enjoy it while it lasted. It wouldn’t be this way much longer...

As the woman watched Claire’s demeanor beginning to change, she soon glanced back to the covered cut on her wrist before scowling. “So… you never got around to telling me your name. Mind if I ask it of ya?”

Feeling all the peace she had suddenly found leave her, Claire’s breath hitched as she looked back at Kimberly. As both stared towards one another, Claire shivered in silent fear. By some grace of god, this woman didn’t already know who she was… but… her name had to have reached her at some point. After all… she was the talk of the town…

Swallowing her food, Claire looked up at the woman’s probing eyes as she weighed her options. She… she could run… but, no… that wasn’t an option… not after she had been so nice towards her. And, and not after what Annabelle did for her…

Glancing at the young girl in question, the brunette sighed. “M-My name… I-I-Is… C-C-Claire…” Raising her brow from the chronic stutter she had suddenly developed, Kimberly racked her brain on why her name sounded like it was poisonous to utter.

As her brain began putting together what she had found out so far, Kimberly’s brow soon rose. “Last name Abby or, Abernathy was it? Something with an A I think. Am I close?” Smiling as she saw Claire’s entire form shrinking as she began to shake, the older woman soon sighed.

“I guess I hit the nail on the head now, didn’t I?” Nodding slowly, Claire soon shut her eyes knowing what was about to come next. She had silently hoped, no, prayed… that this woman didn’t know who she was… but, who she was kidding. Everyone knew who she was… the perverted monster who assaulted a poor, innocent, defenseless girl and tried to- “Well nice to meet ya, Claire.”

Blinking, Claire slowly looked up in confusion. “W-W-What…?” She croaked out, her voice cracking in the process. Hiding her smirk, Kimberly nodded as she moved her hand out towards her. “You know my name but feel free to call me Kim. Anne and I, along with my husband just moved here a couple months ago. Came all the way from Austin Texas.” Kim said proudly before raising her brow as she saw the blank look she was being given.

“Something wrong hon?” Looking up at the older woman speechlessly, Claire simply shook her head not comprehending this conversation, or why this complete stranger was even giving her the time of day. “B-B-But… W-W-Where did… where did you hear my name…?”

Scowling, the redhead scoffed as she ruffled her daughter’s hair. “I was out shopping and you wouldn’t believe what I was hearing. Something about this Abernathy girl and all the stuff they think she’s doing. Stealing, vandalizing, peeping on girls.” Shifting her glance back to Claire, one look told her all she needed to know.

“So obviously you got on people's bad sides somehow. Mind if I inquire?” Lowering her gaze, Claire weighed her options once more. She, she didn’t have to say anything… maybe she could save face, if only a little. But knowing the rumors spreading around now, it was only a matter of time till Kim found out the very first one that started it all.

Shifting her eyes away, Claire soon closed them as she licked her lips to speak. “I… I did something stupid… A-A-And… and now everyone hates me b-because of it.” Claire whispered quietly, her voice beginning to break as she felt a deep regret for what had happened. It was painful to pull the patch right off the wound she thought she had covered up.

Nudging her daughter up, Kim smiled at the little girl before pointing towards some of the other kids waving at her. Giggling the little girl got up before running off with her friends. Now alone, however, the redhead’s expression darkened.

“I can see this is bothering ya, so if you don’t want to tell me anything else that’s fine. Just answer one thing for me. Can ya do that for me, Claire?” Looking up slowly, the brunette nodded as she saw the stern look she was being given.

“Did you do whatever you did to hurt someone on purpose?” With widened eyes, Claire quickly shook her head. “W-W-What?! N-N-No! I, I mean… I think I hurt her feelings… b-b-but…” Claire trailed off before lowering her gaze. “I d-didn’t mean to do it…”

Nodding, Kim soon smiled before patting Claire on the shoulder. “We’ll I heard enough then.” Looking up at the older girl, Claire soon saw something she had been remorseful of losing after this had all began… concern. She… she was showing her empathy.

Moving to stand up, the older girl stretched her limbs before looking to where the majority of the kids had run off to. “Well, I guess we better catch up. Something tells me that Anne is leading them again. That kid sure does like to explore.” She sighed before looking down at Claire’s confused expression.

“Well, ya comin?” Blinking a few times, clearly confused, Claire soon stood unsure of what was even happening anymore. As the redhead began moving towards the forestry outline her kids had run off to, Claire soon found herself trailing behind her…

 

She didn’t know what was happening… but…

 

It looked like a small, ray or light… might have accidently found its way to her…

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

 

Climbing over some fallen branches next to Kimberly, Claire looked around closely for any of the children who had run into the trees of the large park. She wasn’t exactly an expert on this area but it seemed her insight was helpful. They had already found a couple of the boys and now it just seemed like the redheads daughter a few other girls were still hiding… most likely from them.

“I swear this girl’s got a rebellious streak. I pray it don’t run in the family. Shoot, her father was a scoundrel growing up from what I remember as well. Let’s just hope that ain’t the case with Anne. The last thing I need is a tomboy in place of my sweet little girl.” The Texan native ranted as Claire felt her lips beginning to tug upwards into what she could only assume was a smile.

“S-So… what made you move out here Kimberly?” “I told you to call me Kim, now didn’t I?” Nodding, Claire rubbed the back of her head sheepishly before climbing over another fallen tree branch to reach a small cliff in from of them. “S-S-Sorry K-Kim… I didn’t mean to offend you.”

Sighing, the ginger-haired woman gripped Claire’s hand before tugging her up with her. She was surprisingly strong given her stature. She was only a few inches taller than her! “Will you quit being such a nervous nelly? Do you think I’m going to bite at ya like one of these hill-folk?” As the woman scoffed, Claire chose not to comment on the slight slander towards her hometown… she thought worse of the people here anyways…

“As to why we moved here, you can blame my Anne's father for that. My husbands in the service and we had to relocate here. Poor girl can barely make friends as is. I’m just happy she found a few kids here her age. She’s always been better talking to adults than with other kids.” Kimberly sighed before glancing towards Claire.

“But, ya already figured that out yourself, now didn’t ya?” Smirking, Claire nodded. It was a guess but the girl had taken to her much quicker than she thought a kid possible to. Although considering all the kids around her she might have just been a free spirit and befriended everyone. Speaking of…

“S-So… Who are all the other children? I-I haven’t seen them here before… are, they…” Claire trailed off unsure of how to ask her question but the redhead seemed to figure it out before she burst into laughter. “Ha, Jeez Claire, just how old do I look to ya? Unless that answers in the twenties, ya best not say anythin...” Kim said darkly before her mirth returned.

“Can’t say there mine girl. These little urchins are other service brats. I used to run a daycare back in Austin and I grew fond of them.” Smirking at the term she had used, Claire was soon caught off guard by the redhead’s next question. “Ya got any yourself?”

Staggering backward in shock, Claire quickly shook her head. “W-W-What?! I, I’m only fifteen! O-O-Of c-course I don’t have children!” Blinking, Kimberly soon smirked. “I meant more along the lines of siblings actually… I didn’t peg you for a floozy. Should I now?” Blushing heavily, Claire soon grit her teeth at the audacity of her comment.

“OF COURSE NOT!” Nodding, Kim simply shook her head as she kept up her brisk pace. “Alright… but since we're on the topic… what about a self-harmer…” Furrowing her brow, Claire was about to ask till the redhead stopped walking and directed her narrow eyes Claire’s way surprising her by how fast her tone kept changing.

Freezing up in surprise from the sudden coldness she was feeling directed her way, the brunette was about to ask what she meant before Kim’s hand shot out towards her arm. “Tell me the truth… Should I be worried about this… worried about what ya might do around my daughter?”

As her wrist was lifted before her, Claire’s eyes widened as she now fully realized what she had meant. Yanking her arm away, Claire shivered with fear. How… how did she know? “I-I fell and I-“, “Don’t you dare lie to me, Claire. Not after I invited you to join us." Gulping, Claire felt an utter egress of emotion as she stared back into the worried mother’s eyes.

After a long stare off, Claire soon lowered her gaze before shaking her head. “N-N-No… You have nothing, nothing to worry about. It was a mistake…” Keeping her eyes directed on Claire’s, Kim was silent for a moment before she nodded. “Good. Now let’s go find the other girls… and you can start telling me just why everyone in this whistle-stop seems to have a… enmity for ya.”

Walking forward once more as she continued on, Claire’s eyes leveled with the ground as she gripped her hand… her shaking hand. Moving one foot at a time… she slowly marched on behind the woman as she felt the pit in her stomach growing.

‘S-She just wants to protect her daughter… I-Its nothing against you…’ Feeling sadness envelop her, Claire felt her lips trembling as tears almost sprang loose. “I… I think I should go…” Stopping ahead of the brunette, the ginger-haired woman glanced over her shoulder before shrugging.

“If you got to go, you got to go. But I’d still like to hear your tale before you do. Of course, you don’t have to say a thing. It’s not like a word, from someone who just tried to lie isn’t still of value.” Lowering her gaze, Claire grimaced knowing her trust was being called into question now.

After a minute or so of prolonged silence, she finally sighed in defeat.

 

“It… It all started, three months ago…”

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

~ 20 minutes later ~

 

Claire sat hunched over on a fallen log as Kimberly sat beside her, her hand gently rubbing small circles over her back as tears streamed down the brunette's face. They hadn’t planned on stopping… but after she began telling the redhead how this had all started… how her friend, her best friend… her crush lied to her. Lied to everyone… being betrayed by family and friends alike… and finally what had all led up to her unfortunate… incident... on the docks. It was just too much for her to keep in after trying so hard to remain silent.

“A-A-And… And then… I just… I JUST COULDN’T TAKE IT ANYMORE!” Claire wailed as she cupped her head in her arms as Kim listened to her full tale. After a brief silence, the older woman nodded knowing she was finished now, or, at least she was defeated, her story having ripped open still fresh wounds for the poor girl.

Shaking her head slowly, Kimberly sighed as she patted Claire’s shoulder. “Well… ain't that somethin…” She mumbled, her voice a bit quieter than before. She didn’t honestly know what to say now. She had been rather worried, to begin with, her first impression of Claire somewhat unnerving to say the least, but now whatever doubts she had that she was lying to her were thrown out the window. She could tell when someone was hurting, and that was an understatement considering what Claire had dealt with for the past couple months.

As the brunette continued to cry into her hands, her emotions finally lay bare in front of another, the younger girl shook her head. “I… I just don’t know w-what I’m going t-to do now…” Looking at Claire with worry, Kim nodded as she continued to lay a comforting hand on her back.

When she had woken up that morning… she had thought all her problems would end… amongst other things… But now that she didn’t go through with it, such a stupid and idiotic idea… she was at a total loss. She, she couldn’t live like this. It drove her into doing something she would have regretted for the rest of… her… life… Well, that might not have been the best analogy, considering what it entitled…

As she pulled the girl into her, Kimberly’s eyes darkened as she thought over everything. She was a bit skeptical that it was as bad as she made it out to be… but considering what she had caught the girl in the process of doing, she wasn’t anymore. It was only through sheer stupid luck she knew what the brunette had attempted.

Back in her home city, it was a rather common occurrence. And a cut like hers, straight, narrow… aimed directly on the wrist as cleanly as it was. She went for it… until… Smiling proudly momentarily, the ginger-haired woman grinned. “Well, ain’t this a whole nuther thang…” she scoffed before pulling Claire into her as she hugged the girl close.

Funny how a trip to the park could turn into something like this. As Claire was cradled tightly, she instinctively tried to move away after being denied contact with other people for so long but the redhead wouldn’t have any of it.

After a few attempts to crawl away, Claire finally gave up and sunk into her embrace, her tears never lessening as more and more came out. “Momma?” Looking over her shoulder, Kim smiled warmly as she saw her little girl looked over at them.

“Hey, sweetie, about time ya showed yourself. Ya got the others with ya?” As she shook her head, her pigtails waved back and forth freely as she directed her gaze Claire’s way. “Is something wrong with her?” Scowling at how she put it, Kim shook her head.

“Naw, she’s just still hurting from earlier.” Beaming, the little girl soon moved over towards Claire before pulling the older girl into a hug like her mom was currently. “Does your cut really hurt that much?” She had scraped her knees and twisted her ankle once but that stopped hurting after a few hours. Such a small wound couldn’t possibly hurt that much, right?

Glancing to Claire as she saw her finally stop crying, Kim smiled. “It will heal with time… all things do.” Though her words were said to her daughter, Claire got the impression they were more for her benefit. Sniffling, the brunette leaned up slowly before smiling sadly.

“…” Craning her neck in confusion, the sobbing girl’s words so faint she had to strain her ears to even hear her, the older woman soon smiled as she realized what she had said… and what she was still saying. “Thank you… thank you… t-thank you…thank you…” Claire whispered shrilly as she wiped her tears aside.

She, she felt something she hadn’t felt after the night of her friend’s betrayal. Something she desperately was in need of… closure… She had finally found closure… for all the pain she had been feeling for so long…

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

Walking down the beaten path leading back to the park, Claire’s eyes were hazy as she felt her hair being tugged back and forth. Smiling silently, the brunette made no fuss over Annabelle pulling on her locks as she gave the girl a piggyback ride, her mother watching in amusement.

“I warned ya she would do that,” Kim smirked as she saw her daughter giggling gleefully and requesting to go faster as she pulled on Claire’s hair like makeshift reins. Shaking her head a bit to loosen the girl's grip, Claire chuckled quietly.

“I… I don’t mind…” Nodding, Kim observed the quiet girl for a long while before she nodded in turn. She was definitely in a better state of mind than before. Perhaps she could still get better with time. Only she would know for certain, though. The pain she felt had to be eating away at her… along with other pains, she had created this day.

As the two women cleared the forest line, Claire soon jogged ahead where Kim had set up the blankets and food before kneeling down. “Alright, rides over Anne…” Waiting a few moments, Claire soon scowled before shaking the little girl but if anything her hold only tightened much to her chagrin.

“Noooooo! I don’t wanna get off. Can I stay on longer, pretty please!” Sighing, Claire wanted to say no… but it seemed like the little redhead wouldn’t take no for an answer judging from how tightly her hair was being tugged.

Before Claire could finally cave in, however, Kim came to the rescue as she plucked her daughter up and tossed her over her shoulder in amusement. “Now that’s enough Anne. You leave the poor girl alone. She’s ain’t your horse.” Puffing out her cheeks, Annabelle whined loudly till her mother gave her a light bop on her bottom silencing her.

Sitting down, Claire smiled genuinely as she watched Kim and her daughter giggle and smiling. It was nice… As the older woman sat down herself, she moved her daughter onto her lap before hugging her close. “So what do you plan on doing now?”

Feeling the amusement leaving her now, Claire lowered her gaze unsure of how to really answer her. “I… I guess, I’ll just go back to… to doing what I was before. N-N-Not on the dock!” Claire quickly clarified as she saw Kim’s eyes narrowing.

Frowning, the ginger-haired woman hummed in thought as she rested her chin on her daughters head. “Well… the way I see it, you just need something to take your mind off your problems.” Nodding, Claire smiled sadly as she flopped onto her back and stared up at the twilight.

“Yeah… if only that were an option. I’ve, I’ve tried Kim… b-b-but no matter where I go… no matter what I do… it always ends the same way…” Looking over the downcast brunette, Kim soon to peek around before her mood brightened. “Well… are you depressed now?”

Furrowing her brow, Claire shook her head. Why would she be depressed? This was the best day she had, had in… in so long. Well, at least it ended up being one… the earlier events still left a sour taste in her mouth.

“So here’s how I see it. You can do one of two things, Claire. Sulk… and stay depressed until ya do something else stupid… or possibly worse than that…” She mumbled darkly. “Or, maybe look at the brighter side. Be thankful for the things you still got, ya know?” Scrunching her eyes, Claire leaned up angrily.

“What do I still have to be thankful for?! You know my life is…” Claire trailed off not wanting to curse in front of the little redhead who was looking up at her blankly, the conversation clearly lost to her young mind. “Bad…”

Nodding in understanding, Kim nudged her daughter up before looking to Claire. Grinning, Anne crawled over before plopping herself down on the startled girls lap much t her surprise. “Well, if today wasn’t that bad… and you're struggling to find something to keep that lousy mind of yours at bay… I could always use a helpin hand with these rascals…” Kim’s hand rose as she waved it over the multitude of kids present, some playing, others resting on the grass tuckered out, and a few more currently eating near them.

Blinking a few times to make sure she heard her right, Claire soon scowled. “A-Are… Are you asking me to babysit for you…?” Chuckling, Kim moved her hand over before patting Claire on the shoulder. “Well it’s a bit more than that, but in a way I suppose.” Frowning, Claire looked around before shuddering internally.

“S-Sorry Kim… but, I don’t think you’d want to have me around. I-I’m not really the best with children… and I know whoever these guys parents are will let hell freeze over before they let me near their kids. Owe!” Claire yipped as Kim slapped her head.

“Now there’s no call for that type of language missy. And as for the other gals, I don’t think they’d mind if I got a helpin hand around the house. But as for your… disdain for these tots… well, you might want to think that over a bit more.” The redhead smirked as she saw Claire’s arms hugging Anne tightly.

Looking down in surprise herself, Claire pulled away from the little girl she hadn’t even realized had gotten so close… but suddenly felt disheartened in doing so. Sighing, Claire soon moved her arms back before the tired girl snuggled into her.

“Ok… M-Maybe I don’t… hate them. But they do hate me. I already know how this will turn out Kim. I-If… if I’m near you… you’ll become a pariah!” Claire said seriously, her tone full of fear. The last thing she wanted to do to her was cause her the same pain she had been experiencing… it had almost ended her life…

Snorting, Kim shook her head amused before looking Claire over seriously. “I think I can handle my own missy. So what do you say? The offer still stands.” Feeling time beginning to slow, Claire looked upwards as the older woman stood over her, her hand outstretched like she was making some type of bargain… but then again… she was.

Shivering, Claire’s arm soon rose on its own, as her hand clasped around Kim’s. Grinning from ear to ear, the ginger-haired Texan nodded before releasing her grip. “We’ll all right. I know for a fact little Anne will be happy to see you again. Hell, she’s never this tuckered when it’s just me playing with her.” Scowling at the woman now after she hypocritically did what she had been scolded for, Claire soon smiled warmly as she directed her gaze to the now sleeping girl.

Leaning down to pick her up, Kim smiled reassuringly down at Claire before moving her free hand to her lips. As a loud whistle resonated in the air, multiple kids soon came running back to her. “Alright Claire, well we ought to get goin. It’s been a pleasure.” Nodding in return, Claire soon smiled as Kim pulled something out from her green plaid chest pocket.

Flicking a small card to the younger girl, Kim grinned before turning around. “Alright, time to get going now, come on!” She called out before some of the kids began to follow her back, others reluctant to leave the park, but a stern look from the redhead coursed their judgment to follow.

As the sun finally left the sky for the night, Claire remained on the grass as she watched the last of the kid’s present leave, and Kim finally driving off after she collected them. Once alone, the brunette looked down as she observed the card in her hand.

‘Kimmy’s Daycare…’ Smiling warmly, Claire moved the business card into her back pocket before standing up. She didn't know how this all happened… but… perhaps she could find that light that had left her long ago… maybe.

But it looked like, she had a little help. A friend to guide her further. Friend… Feeling her lips twitch, Claire soon wore a goofy grin as she whispered the word, the joy she suddenly felt, unrivaled, by anything she had ever experienced before.

“F-Friend… friend… a friend.” Smiling, Claire soon began walking home, her grin never abandoning her face. Not today. She had, a friend...

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

~ Four years later ~

 

 

Walking down the weather-beaten trail, like many of the same types surrounding her city, Claire wore a bright smile as she strolled towards her destination. Things had changed considerably from where she once stood a few years prior. Ever since that fateful meeting all those years back, she and Kim had become good friends.

She had met her husband, some of the other military moms, their children of course as well… and it just seemed like things were better off now after it all. Feeling her hands tighten a bit around the straps of her backpack, Claire chose to ignore the lingering pains she had felt from the day and instead smiled knowing where she was headed.

While it was true things had gotten better… the town still had little left for her to admire. Her old friends still avoided her. Her parents still accused her of the littlest of things and tried to… change her views towards, certain… matters. And of course, everyone else gossiped about her.

In hindsight, nothing had really changed… but, at the same time, everything had. Coming over a small rise, Claire’s eyes lit up with happiness as she saw the familiar home she had walked to every day for the past four years.

Even though her life wasn’t as great as it was before that painful night with Brittney… she didn’t care. For two hours a day, seven days a week, and if lucky a full weekend when Kim went out of town with her husband, Claire felt true happiness. A joy like no other… and a little surprise to considering where it came from.

Not even making it half way past the yard, Claire soon laughed as she felt something tackle her from behind. “Claire!” Smiling warmly, Claire pushed the little weight away before looking down into a familiar redhead’s eyes.

“Hey Annabelle, how was your day?” Grinning up at her, her smile somewhat contagious as the brunette found herself grinning now too, the younger girl quickly tugged on Claire’s hand as she tried to pull her inside her home. “Great now that you’re here!” Blushing, Claire chuckled quietly as she let herself be led by the younger girl, her tasks for the day probably already set out by Kim just waiting for her to get started.

After coming to the Daycare, Claire had been fearful considering what she had just signed up for… but it turned out, she wasn’t half bad with kids after all. Cleaning up after them and playing with them, cooking and making sure they didn’t get hurt. It was a simple job, but, at the same time, the fulfillment she received whenever one of them smiled up at her was unlike anything she had ever experienced before. She felt, needed… wanted even. She found a place where she could show her true nature.

No one judged her… no one hated her religiously. She was just; Claire… and everyone here appreciated her. The children, their parents… begrudgingly… This was her home. Coming into the kitchen where she heard the familiar sound of Kim as she prepared the children’s usual meal, the brunette quickly strode up much to Annabelle’s dismay as her playmate went in the opposite direction then the other kids.

“Hey, Kim! What do you have lined up for me today?” Looking over her shoulder, the ginger-haired woman grinned as she saw her helper. The years had been kind to her, both of them for that matter actually. With her hair down to her waist now along with her face retaining its same youthful appearance, not too much had changed about her. She was the same, hot-tempered woman that had helped her all those years ago, and Claire loved every minute of her time she was in her presence. Giving the girl a quick wave, Kimberly swiftly finished chopping up the vegetables she had before washing her hands off.

“Hey kid, how was your day? Did your teacher try and pull that same crap with you again today like he did yesterday?” She mumbled sourly. Ignoring the jab at her age, Claire didn’t bat an eyelash knowing it had become a common name for her over time. As for the incident in question… a certain Gym teacher of hers had thought it amusing to make her run an extra two miles on her timed exam ensuring she wouldn’t pass it.

A brisk conference from her parents, however, sorted that out real quick. While they weren’t exactly the best parents to have, her dad sure as hell wouldn’t let any of his daughters take crap like that from their school's instructors… Although, his attempts to get her into homeschooling for her last year were still somewhat bothersome… He had tried to make his case once again telling her about all the corruption in her high school, the P.E. event being the catalyst for such a thing…

The last thing she wanted was to be under house arrest 24/7. Her Mom and Dad had barely even let here come here and even then it still took Kim’s interceding to seal the deal. By explaining they were denying her a chance to obtain valuable work experience under her belt and real life skills, they all but had to cave in knowing there was some truth to the woman’s words.

Setting her backpack down on the table, Claire moved to sit down as Kim soon joined her. “No, he was scared off after my dad raised hell. I have to hand it to him, he sure knows how to pick his battles. Owe!” Claire yipped as she felt the redhead bop her on her head.

Groaning as she looked to her side, Claire nodded as she saw Anna bouncing up happily as she waited for Claire to make her way back over to her. “Hypocrite…”, “The hell did ya just call me?!” Smirking, Claire chatted idly with Kim as she caught up with the day’s events. Their banter had become a fun passive throughout her time here and gave Kim a chance to take a much-needed break from her day's work before she took them all to the park to play for a while before they went home.

After a good fifteen minutes, (and Anne’s loud whines as she grew more and more impatient) Claire soon stood up as she was handed a chore list for the day. “Alright, we’ll take off after you’re finished.” Smiling, Claire nodded before making her way back over to the little redhead.

As she lifted the giggling girl up, with a bit of effort now since she wasn’t as little anymore, she carried her outside to where the other children were to start her usual list of activities. She loved her job… Watching the brunette closely, Kim’s smile soon began to fade before a frown formed over her features. Sighing deeply, the older woman moved towards her table where some papers lay scattered about.

Pulling open a letter she had received, or more, her husband had that she had read on his behalf considering he was working at his base currently, her eyes skimmed the words as she bit her lower lip. Claire wouldn’t like this… hell, none of them would. They had just started to get settled here…

Setting the note down, Kim shrugged off the troubling letter as she moved back over to the food she had been preparing. She’d talk it over with her husband and see if this could be prolonged. The best thing they could do for their daughter right now was to leave her in one place… Moving again would cause her a great deal of pain… along with Claire as well…

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

~One month later…~

 

 

Sitting on the dock she had come to know as her secret retreat, Claire watched the waters gentle ripple as she felt her despair for what had occurred rain over her once more. Like a dark cloud that wouldn’t leave her, it weighed her down with every second of its presence, but, she couldn’t shake it… not this.

Shivering as she restrained herself from crying, Claire soon cracked as she felt the first tear fall into the waters below. Kim and her family… were gone. Apparently, her husband’s three-year tour had ended and after taking an extended stay he was eventually recalled back to Texas… and with it his Family.

Kim… Annabelle… they had moved. Moving a shaking hand to her pocket, Claire continued to cry softly as she pulled a note out she had been carrying for the past week. It had been given to her on the day they had left… and it held a great deal of value to her… it's content, and it's feelings.

‘1354, S. Sycamore street… Austin Texas… See you soon kid…’ Sniffling, Claire folded the note up before gently sliding it back into her side pocket. She’d see them again… one day at least… but until that day came… she still had to live. Live through her pain… live through her troubles… and now, there was no light anymore.

After Kim had left, her Daycare wasn’t picked up by any of the other Military wives. So their kids didn’t have a place to go anymore… and with them, her. She lost, her one, lone, light. She was alone once again…

Cupping her hands softly on her lap, Claire rubbed her wrist gently as she glanced down at a small inch long scar over her right wrist. This town… it's people… she hated them… and with this mark, she felt their immeasurable hold over her. What greater power did someone have, then to cause another person to try and end their life?

Clenching her fist around her wrist, Claire soon growled. “Never… Never again…” She wouldn’t let them beat her… she couldn’t. Her light might have vanished but it wasn’t extinguished! Somewhere out of this place was her friends. And they were waiting for her to come back one day… waiting for her to see them, to see how far she had come.

Smiling victoriously, Claire nodded as she felt her cloud slowly beginning to fade, the light of the evening sky now shining down upon her with hope. She’d make it through this. She didn’t know how… but she would. She had to…

Climbing to her feet, Claire yawned tiredly before stretching her sore limbs. ‘I guess I better get back…’ Feeling her resolve harden, Claire nodded to herself before she headed back home. Kim, Annabelle… she’d see them both again, and when she did… she’d be stronger.

Strong enough to have conquered this town… her troubles… her fears. She’d be ready to tell them both, and she’d relish ever second of their time like she had since she had first met them. They were her friends, and she’d see them soon… she hoped…

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

 

It had been a few weeks since Claire had made her promise to herself. She wouldn’t be beaten. She’d live, and fight forward… but… Dragging her feet as she walked, Claire’s entire demeanor screamed as she sulked silently home. Her eyes… were lifeless. Her body, limp and frail. She, she couldn’t do it…

The town, I-It had to be cursed… no, she was cursed. Each day, a new link to the chain around her neck grew. It's tightening vice strangled her. She was a slave to its whim. She… she couldn’t go on much longer…

The little joy she saw in her life, was gone. Without having anyone to talk to… without having a purpose to get out of bed in the morning… without finding the strength to eat, bathe or even breathe… she knew it would end soon. And what that meant for her if she gave in.

‘Y-You need to stay strong… p-p-please!’ Nodding her head silently, Claire picked up her pace as she tried to stand tall in her shadow. It was just so hard… to keep pretending nothing was wrong. The bullying got worse… her family ignored her as well. And after losing her last job… she had failed to find work.

It had been a week since she graduated… and now, she was lost. She didn’t know why she even got up anymore. She had nothing left… She wanted to leave this town… but… she just couldn’t. After last week… on her 19th birthday… she knew, she couldn’t do it anymore.

Her family had ignored her the whole day… and even the town still cast revulsion of her that day. Nothing was sacred… and it stung knowing that no matter what day it was… no matter what she did… no matter who she talked to, who she helped, hell who she begged… nothing would ever change.

She… was lost. ‘Six hundred and forty dollars… plus change…’ Counting all she had saved up for the tenth time that day, Claire sighed once more. She had enough money to hop on a bus, and never look back… but she wasn’t stupid. As much as she hated her family… she knew she still needed their support.

A roof over her head… food on the table. A place to bathe… to sleep. She could leave… but where would she go? Trick question… nowhere. She’d be homeless… hungry… and just as lost as she was now. ‘At least here I can suffer in comfort.’ Chuckling sadly, Claire shook her head before looking up.

She was home. Frowning, Claire shook her head once more. Time had abandoned her now too. She could have sworn she had just started walking home. Sighing, Claire was about to make her way to her bedroom to flop down on her sheets and pray she could pass out fast enough… but…

Pausing next to her mailbox, Claire looked at it confused. She didn’t know why… but she wanted to check the mail first. Shrugging, the brunette moved over to her box before opening it and pulling out its contents. As she skimmed the envelopes unsure of why she even bothered to get them for her parents, her eyes soon locked onto a strange golden letter, or more, who it was addressed to.

Walking onto her front porch as she shifted the letter back and forth, she soon scowled as she read it. “To Claire Abernathy from Aunt Windy…” She had an aunt? Wracking her brain for a moment, Claire soon nodded as she recalled something that seemed to come back to her now.

She vaguely remembered someone who was called her aunt… but she was a kid last time she saw her. ‘Huh, I wonder why none of my family ever talks about her. Shrugging once more, Claire soon rested her back against the door as she gently ripped the top open.

It was addressed to her, not her parents after all. She didn’t have any problems with reading it first before she gave the mail over to them. Pulling out a few folded papers from within, Claire tucked the other envelopes beneath her arm as she flipped the pages open, a slip of paper falling out that had been hidden within.

Mumbling a curse beneath her breath, Claire reached down to the ground blindly as she tried to grab what she had dropped, her eyes still reading the document. She wasn’t the best multi-tasker… As she began to read it, however… her hand suddenly stopped moving before her eyes shot open.

Dropping the mail, Claire quickly gripped the golden letter before reading it aloud to make sure her eyes weren’t playing tricks on her. “Dear Claire, it’s so good to write to you after all this time. I hope you are doing well. As for my health, however… I’m afraid that I am not…” Frowning, Claire continued on, ignoring that sad little bit, her eyes scanning for the word she had skimmed by accident that caused such distress in the first place.

“It is with great sadness to know, I won’t have much longer on this earth… but I know you still have your whole life ahead of you and that you might need a helping hand getting started with it…” That was an understatement…

Biting her tongue to stop her constant interruptions, Claire forced herself to read on, her eyes growing wider with each word. “I remember when you were so little. We used to play all the time you and me, and I haven’t forgotten all the joy you brought me. While I know I haven’t been in your life for some time, I want to make it up to you with this, a token of my gratitude. From your Aunt to you little Claire. Live… for the both of us…”

It… it was some type of death note… Her aunt was dying. Feeling a deep sadness fill her once more, Claire soon felt tears falling between her cheeks. She… she couldn’t remember her… she couldn’t remember what she looked like… but, but her aunt remembered her… and wrote her a note before… what she could only assume was her parting.

‘W-W-What type of a monster f-forgets their relatives?!’ She… she didn’t know how to answer that. Cupping her mouth in silent aberration, Claire shook her head. Straining her mind to remember, the brunette finally cursed, not so silently now as she gave up.

She just couldn’t recall her. Kneeling down to her porch with shaking hands, Claire continued to cry as she felt guilt tugging on her heart strings. As she picked up the other mail that had fallen, her eyes soon moved to something else.

‘Oh… oh yeah, there was something inside of it…’ Reaching down between her feet Claire picked up a small, rectangular piece of parchment before flipping it over. However, as she looked at it, she dropped the mail once again. Stumbling backward and into her door, Claire’s free hand moved to her mouth as she cupped it in sheer shock from what she was staring at.

It… it was, a check… A check addressed to her. As her eyes beaded as she looked at the number written on it, Claire shook her head in disbelief. This… this was fake… it had to be fake! “T-T-Ten… T-Ten thousand… dollars…” Counting the zeros over and over again, Claire shook her head.

It… it was real. Gripping the paper afraid it would be fake if she lightened her hold, the brunette soon examined it back and forth, front to back… but… it was real. It was a check… addressed to her from her aunt… and it was for ten, thousand dollars…

Feeling fatigue suddenly wash over her, Claire soon staggered before falling to her knees. She, she was going to pass out… As the wave came and left her suddenly, Claire soon looked down at the paper once again before something suddenly dropped onto it.

Blinking, Claire looked down confused before it happened again. However, it soon became apparent what it was. Tears… her tears... Shuddering where she sat, Claire soon wailed loudly as she cupped the paper into her chest, her cries unknown to her as she felt a plethora of emotions assault her all at once.

Sadness, sadness for her aunt note. Regret, for never seeing her again and never being able to thank her for this… And joy… it, it was over… her life… she, she was… free… Crying even harder, Claire continued to stare down at the paper as she wept tears of joy and sorrow.

 

She could leave… she could leave and never come back. She… she was free…

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

Present time…

 

 

“So after cashing the check I packed up my stuff… well, what I could carry, and moved out here. The rest I think you kind of know…” Claire finally finished, her demeanor rather quiet in comparison as to when she began her tale. The pain of losing her friends… her family… the respect of everyone else close to her… and finally, her grave mistake…  It hurt to relive those memories. She had just barely escaped… and she hadn’t planned on confronting them for some time.

It was a burden to her. A deep shame she wanted to forget but she knew… knew it would always stick around with her. Peering down at her wrist, Claire glowered silently at the small scar that remained. It was somewhat symbolic to her at this point. No matter how much she hated her past… it reminded her that she had survived.

Sighing, she soon looked upwards before blinking in confusion. She, she was back to normal. Looking herself over quickly, Claire gawked in surprise. ‘When did they change me back!?’ She had been so wrapped up in her past she didn’t even realize it… how sad was that?

As the brunette kept looking around, the new perspective somewhat bizarre to her now, everyone looked up at her speechless minus the twins who for all intense and purposes… were very, very quiet, their eyes locked on the floor in front of them rather than the girl.

Finally noticing the lack of sound around her, Claire looked back down at the others who were gobsmacked and speechless. “S-So, that’s why you moved here?” Kai whispered, her voice cracking a bit as she tried to control her shaking form.

Nodding sadly, Claire soon sighed once more. “Yeah, pretty much. I, I don’t know why I picked Philadelphia honestly. Maybe because it was close enough to my state… but far enough away that I knew my parents wouldn’t be able to find me if they came looking for me… I moved here from Georgia, so… I honestly can’t give you an answer. Something just felt right about here…” Claire whispered bitterly.

Her family was dead to her at this point. They made it abundantly clear what they thought of her for the past four years of her troubles. She didn’t hate them… but she never wanted to go back. Not to them anyway…

Feeling something suddenly bump into her left side, Claire looked down in surprise before she grew worried. Clinging to her arm, May wept silently as she tried to bury her face into Claire’s arm. “Y-Y-You… Y-You didn’t really t-try to… try to, kill yourself… r-r-right?!” She stuttered horribly as she felt an immeasurable amount of grief from what they had just learned from Claire.

Feeling her lips tremble, Claire wanted to say no… she really did. The look May gave her before she hid her face, caused her heart to cry out in pain. But, she couldn't lie… not about something like this. As her right arm was now pinned as well, Claire directed her face to Kat as she felt just as much distress.

Crying as she hugged Claire tightly… somewhat painfully actually, the little Neko soon wailed as she shook her head. “N-N-No! The pretty lady w-wouldn’t do something like that! T-T-Tell her Claire!” trembling now as the girls looked at her in denial… Claire remained silent knowing she had nothing to say at this point that  hadn’t already been said.

“I-It… It was a mistake…”, “DAMN RIGHT IT WAS!” Blinking, Claire looked at Kai now as the older of the girls and supposedly the most composed was busy wiping tears from her cheek. “J-Jeez, and I thought I had problems…” She laughed dryly trying to throw her usual brand of humor into her words, but, Claire could tell she was just as anguished from her story as the other two currently sobbing into her.

Moving over to Claire, Kai’s fake smile soon left her as she looked up at Claire dolorously. Without saying a word she soon joined the others as she hugged the larger girls chest, her tears coming right back out after she tried to shove them down.

Feeling her lips beginning to tremble, Claire looked down at all the girls speechlessly. She, she was choked up. Feeling a gentle grip on her hand now, Claire averted her attention away before feeling tears finally break through her eyes.

‘You fought hard to get to where you are today. Do not forget where you started from, less you repeat it with time.’ Lily’s lips remained closed as she looked Claire in her eyes, her hand gently holding onto her own. ‘Don’t see it as a burden anymore, but as a reminded. You won.’

Shivering, Claire soon closed her eyes as she cried in silence. She hated, hated that her own grief was causing all the girls to be just as sad as she had been…. But it warmed her heart, that they had listened to her… and cared enough to cry. Her pain… they were showing her, her pain…

It took moving out of her home and running away. Being shrunken and toyed with. Having horrific things down to others she would have never thought possible… and an ungodly amount of pain, that no one should have to experience… to find, peace…

Feeling her heart somewhat lighter, Claire continued to cry as did the three girls clinging to her. She… she really did feel free now… like something had broken away. She felt serenity… like nothing would ever hinder her anymore. She really was, at peace with her past…

Burying her face into Kai’s neck, Claire soon pulled the girls into her tighter as she shuddered and croaked her voice hoarse as she tried to compose herself… b-but she just couldn’t. She couldn’t… and she didn’t care. She didn’t care that they knew… she didn’t care what they thought… they accepted her. And it felt good.

It was like when she had first met Kim all over again… but for some reason, this felt stronger than the last time. Much stronger… Sniffling as she rubbed Kat and May’s back, Claire soon smiled. “T-Thank you… thank you for listening to my story… I, I’m sorry if I made you girls cry…” Claire whispered quietly, genuinely saddened that she had done so in the first place.

Pulling away from her, Kai wiped away her tears as she looked Claire in her eyes. “Y-You… You shouldn’t be the one apologizing… N-Not for anything!” Lowering her gaze, Kai turned to Lily who in turn lowered her own gaze. “We… We all thought you were just… just like the others. The other adults… b-b-but you were just as troubled as we were…” Kai whispered shrilly as she clenched her eyes.

Frowning as the grips on her arms tightened, along with the crying she heard, Claire simply shook her head. They had a level of understanding now… all of them. And for once in her life… she felt like she belonged to something more. More than her, more than her life. She felt a part of something bigger than anything else. And she wanted to stay a part of it.

Casting her head to the side, Claire looked to the twins now who hadn’t uttered a sound since she had finished. “So… I guess that means you want me to stick around… right?” Eeping as she was tackled by the three girls, Claire laughed as they all clung to her tightly.

“WHAT KIND OF A QUESTION IS THAT! OF COURSE YOU IDIOT!” Kai screamed as she tried to keep her face buried in the prone girl's chest. “P-P-Please don’t leave us! P-Please… please…” May whimpered, her voice aching as she held onto the brunette. “Y-You wouldn’t… you wouldn’t leave us… you wouldn’t leave Kat… would you… Claire?” The little cat girl whispered, her voice just as shrill as Mays had been.

Smiling warmly at them all, Claire pulled them in close as she hugged them tightly. Glancing to the twins with a smile, the blond siblings finally acknowledged her as their heads rose. “If she wants to stay… then, of course, she will. It’s her choice after all, not ours.” Sophia whispered in a hollow tone.

Hearing the collective cheers of joy from the girls piled on top of her currently, Claire soon grew worried. That wasn’t Sophia’s normal tone. Pushing the girls off her slowly, much to their resistance in the matter, Claire soon looked to Sophia and Alexis as they inched away.

“H-Hey is… is something wrong? I didn’t upset you with what I said… did I?” As all eyes soon turned to the twins, both Sophia and Alexis tried to look away… but with Lily’s narrowing gaze upon them… they knew they had nowhere else to look.

Raising their crimson irises to Claire, they soon took another step back before moving their hands towards one another’s. “No Claire… you’ve done nothing wrong… but, someone has been wronged, and that someone… is you.” Blinking once, then twice, Claire looked down at the twins confused.

“What…? What are you two talking about?” She wasn’t wronged by anyone… well, her town, but she got the distinctive feeling that wasn’t what they meant. Clenching her sister’s hand painfully tight, Alexis shook with fear as did her sibling. They didn’t want to say this… but what choice did they have?

Hardening their resolve, they both looked up to Claire for the first time before taking a step forward. “When… when we first talked with you earlier this week… we told you that, you could trust us…” Sophia began before looking to Alexis now who seemed just as nervous. “B-But… in doing so… we also told you we would never lie to you…”

Nodding her head slowly, Claire looked at them both in turn unsure of where this conversation was headed. Gritting their teeth between theirs covered lips; Sophia closed her eyes first before taking a deep breath. “But… by telling you this… we did just that. We lied…”

Feeling her breath hitch, Claire slowly shook her head. “B-But, y-you two haven’t lied to me… w-w-what are you talking about?” Claire stammered, her fear slowly rising by the second much to the twins displeasure. “You told us why you came here… why you did what you did. And gave us all an understanding of who you really are… But, your story is not finished… There was a very important part you left out…”

Furrowing her brow, as did most of the girls there, Claire looked back to the twins with worry. “I… I don’t understand. I told them everything… what did I leave out?” Gulping, Sophia looked to her sister who nodded in turn.

“You left out the most important part Claire… the part, you can’t remember… The part… where we first met…” Silence inhabited the room as all eyes widened, Claires more than anyone else as the weight of her words pressed down upon them. Feeling the words slowly sink in, Claire soon shook her head. “W-W-What do y-you mean… w-we just met a f-few days ago…” she hadn’t gone over that part but they all knew how she ended up at the daycare.

Clenching their fists Alexis soon stepped forward from her sister before sticking her hand out. Without understanding what was happening, Claire had little time to react to the younger girls finger as it came upon her forehead… and then, it hit her…

Shuddering on the table, Claire soon went ridged before she clutched her head in pain it… it was coming back… all of it… what, what were these?! They weren’t her memories, what was going on!

“We don’t mean last week Claire… we said, the FIRST, time we met… it’s time you remembered… how we met one another all those years ago… It’s time you remember… just who we are.”

 

 

To be continued…

 

Chapter End Notes:

...

 

...

 

...

 

...

 

...

 

 

 

Well, i hope you liked it. Please leave me some reviews about what you think. I'm curious as always.

 

I hope to see you all again soon, but because of certain events it might be a bit once more. So, please be patiant with me :(

 

I'll try to be back soon with the coming storm!

 

Bye