- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Mike experiences the life of trash.

Mike was buried in filth, covered in dust and dirt and hair and whatever else was inside the vacuum bin. He wondered why he wasn't obliterated by the vacuum like everything else was. Well, he didn't have to time to worry about that as his entire world started moving. All of the dust and debris shuffled around, moving Mike with it. He couldn't even see out of the clear canister anymore because the sides had been coated with the think dust. But he knew where he was going regardless, and he wasn't looking forward to it. The bin stopped, and Mike knew it was happening. The bottom dropped out from beneath Mike and he and massive amounts of vacuum dust where deposited into the foul trash of the kitchen. 

Mike landed with a bump into the garbage as the rest of the dust debris rained down from above and spread itself all across the trash can. The first thing Mike noticed was the awful, foul smelling emanating from everywhere. It smelled like, well, trash, and the worst kind of trash at that. Old food trash. Mike was laying around with old, expired food that had been unrefrigerated for days. The trash had been taken out a few days ago so things from before had been here day and night and day and night and Mike could tell from the smell. It invaded his nostrils and made him puke all over himself. The worst part was there was no escaping it. He couldn't just walk away, or close the lid, he was one with the smell. It consumed him and became part of him. It was terrible.

Laying down in the trash Mike looked upwards through the dispersed dust covering and saw the face of his giant sister miles above staring down at him with complete and total disinterest. But she wasn't looking at him, she was looking at trash, because to her that's all that was in the trash can after all. She never knew she just threw her own brother into the garbage. Mike knew it was worthless, knew it was pointless, knew it wouldn't amount to anything, but he started waving his arms and screaming up to his sister. He knew she would never see or hear him, but the trash was the literal last place he wanted to be, so he had to try to get the hell out of here. But as expected, her face disappeared without a care in the world and was replaced by the lid of trash can, sending Mike into the pure, smelly darkness. 

Before he had been encased in darkness Mike had seen that the top of the trash can was miles above him. He assumed the trash was only about half filled. Considering that and the fact it was pitch black, there was no way he was going to climb he was out. He crawled over to the side, not wanting to even think about what he was crawling on. It felt slippery and wet and gross, whatever it was. He hit the side and started feeling the trash bag itself. At his size, there was no way he was going to break the bag, it was too strong for him. And there was no way he could find anything to break it, nor did he even know if there was anything. Mike had thrown boxes of sorts into the trash with corners before and all they did was stretch the bag out. He faced the fact, he was stuck in the garbage and he wasn't getting out.

Mike couldn't hold it in anymore and just broke down crying. A few days ago everything had been fine. He was a normal guy, just going about his life, and everything was okay. Then he shrunk. It had been a terrible few days between being stuck in his sister's disgusting lint, walked over by all of his sisters and even his own mom, painted to his sister's toenail, buried in the filth of some girl he didn't even know, and nearly be eaten multiple times. And now he was inside of the family trash. It was downright humiliating to him, and he couldn't take it anymore. He just wanted everything to go back to normal. But that wasn't going to happen. He was stuck in the trash with no way out, and Mike was ready to just give up all hope of ever getting back to normal.

* * *

Over the course of the remainder of the day, several things happened revolving the trash can in the kitchen.

Leslie was getting herself a glass of soda when she poured a little too much and the carbonated fizz overflowed the top and spilled over the counter. She quickly grabbed some napkins, cleaned all the sticky soda up before it dried, crumpled them up, and tossed the soiled napkins into the garbage. 

Jen had eaten a small snack during the midday, a nice banana. When she was finished with it, she tossed the browned and bruised peel into the trash where it belonged. 

Molly and her sister were out in the living room during the day, and during that time Molly was clipping her toe nails. When she finished, she gathered them all up and tossed them into the nearest trash can, the kitchen one. She remarked how bad it smelt when she opened the lid. 

Later in the day Leslie was in the kitchen and threw away a small gum wrapper while staring mindlessly at her phone. It unfortunately slipped from her hand and feel right into the nasty trash can with a loud smack. She looked down into the disgusting trash can and all the nasty stuff inside of it. She had no idea she was looking right at her minuscule brother. Reluctantly, she reached her hand into the trash can and felt around for a bit until she finally gripped her phone and pulled it out. She instantly washed her hands. Trash was nasty. 

When evening came, Linda, Mike's mom, came home and after getting comfortable started to make dinner. While it was cooking, Linda decided to check the fridge if there was any old or expired food. It was trash night so it was a good time to do so. She found some ground beef that had been in there for a week, as well as some cheese starting to grow mold. She took these over to the trash and tossed them in without a care in the world. She had no idea her only son was being buried by the food she tossed in. Cooking dinner Linda ended up peeling some potatoes and tossing the peels into the trash, as well as emptying a bag of frozen vegetables and tossing the empty bag into the garbage as well.

After dinner, Molly had some scraps of food still left on her plate, so she scraped them into the trash can and left to do her own thing.

* * *
Mike was walking around the trash can, not really knowing what else he could do. It was pretty hard to do so in the dark, but he managed. After combing his way through the massive amounts of dust from the vacuum, Mike ran into some hard. He put his hands on it, not even worrying about the gross factor at this point, he was way past that. It was hard and awkwardly shaped, and covered with fuzz? He had no idea. The lid of the trash can opened and light shined down upon the garbage. Mike now saw that what he was touching was a massive glob of hardened gum. He could tell it was several times his size and was coated with a layer of dust. He trembled in fear as he realized it was the same gum he had been stuck in not that long ago. Mike looked up to see a massive spherical object falling into the trash can. It landed with a loud, wet splunk, splaying droplets of sweet liquid all over the place. And then it went dark.

Mike had face planted into the gum from the quake the soggy napkins caused. Thank goodness the gum had been hardened. The incident had still scared him nonetheless. He now realized just how vulnerable he was. He was always afraid of just being in the trash can, but now he knew just the act of someone tossing trash away was dangerous. He wasn't even sure who threw it away, but it didn't matter, he was trash to them no matter what. He walked over to where he could sense the large object landed and could smell the sweet scent of soda. It was actually a nice pleasing scent for Mike, finally something to overtake the horrible stench of garbage. 

Mike had resorted to sucking the soda out of the napkins. He was thirsty and it honestly didn't taste bad. The trash illuminated once more and Mike saw how massive the soggy napkin in front of him was. The gum blob was nearly five times his height and this napkin was over double that. It was huge. Mike looked up again to see Jen staring down, but her face was quickly replaced by a massive yellow-brown octopus thing? Whatever it was it was heading right for him, and Mike could do nothing as the sky went dark again. 

Mike was saved as the banana peel smashed down and landed atop the soda soaked napkin. It smashed into it with forced and a river of soda poured of it, easily sweeping Mike away. Mike fell on his back and was forced to follow the current of the soda as it carried him somewhere else in the trash can. Flailing about Mike only achieved getting himself covered in the sticky residue. Eventually the river shallowed and Mike was able to climb out, but the damage was done. He now had no idea where he was in the trash or if he had even fallen deeper. It was all a big mystery, and on top of that, he was fed up with people throwing trash away. He just wanted it to stop. He found a secure place and just laid down.


Mike had no idea how much time had passed, but whatever it was, it had been too long. The sky opened up again and Mike saw the face of Molly appear above him like some sort of Goddess illuminated by the rays of light. She might as well have been a goddess with the control she didn't even know she had over Mike. Mike hear her announce how nasty the trash smelled as her voiced echoed throughout the walls of the trash. She had no idea. Mike watched as Molly dropped a bunch of objects into the trash and closed the lid, leaving him in darkness once more. Mike was pelted with the discarded toenails which happened to land exactly where he was as if she was aiming for him, but she wasn't. She didn't even know. They bounced all around him before he felt one or two land on him rather painfully. He was unharmed overall, but it was just adding insult to injury. He tried to push the nails off of him, but they were stuck.

Mike had given up with the nails, they weren't coming off. What did it matter anyway? They just further cemented the fact of his trashy nature. But it wasn't over yet as light filled the area once more and Mike saw the massive figure of his sister Leslie standing above the opening of the trash can. She wasn't even looking into it, rather at her phone. A measly wrapper dropped out of her hands, but the real issue came when the gigantic phone in her hands slipped and was heading into the trash. Although it didn't land near him, Mike felt the quake caused from the phone where he was. Pieces of garbage were flung about and some even landed on him. 

Mike watched Leslie start to lower to massive hand into the trash. This was it, this was how he was going to get out of this hell. Mike jumped up and began trying to find where Leslie's fingers would land. If he could hitch a ride, he would get the hell out of here. However, he planned a little too well and Leslie thumb smashed down onto him, pressing his face into the nasty garbage. Leslie lifted her hand again not finding her phone, unknowing that he insignificant brother was now stuck to her thumb. She thought it was absolutely disgusting that just her fingers were touching the trash, she had no idea of the torture she was putting her brother through as she lower he hand once again, and Mike was smashed face first into the sticky, grimy garbage. Again and again Leslie raised and lowered her hand pushing poor Mike into the trash, sometimes he was unfortunate and had his mouth open, getting a taste of what it was like. It wasn't good. But it was a price he would pay if it got him out of here. Leslie finally found her phone and began to wrap her fingers around it. In doing so, she scraped her thumb across the trash, unknowingly tossing her brother off her thumb and leaving him with the waste. Mike could only watch as Leslie lifted her phone into the heavens, leaving him trapped in the trashy hell, and then the lid closed and he was in darkness once more. 

Mike was distraught. His one and only chance of getting out of here was gone. Leslie was his only hope of getting out, and he missed it. He was done. He quit. He gave up. This was the end. He was going to be trash forever, at least until someone changed the bag and set him to the curb. Then he would be at the dump. That was his destiny, and nothing was going to change that. Things only got worse as the lid opened once more and Mike saw the face of his mother looking down at him. His hope was invigorated. It was his mother, she had to save him. Sure, she hadn't before, but this was different. He had been through hell, so now it had to be over. His mom would save him. She didn't. Mike saw a container appear above before massive chucks of food rained down from above. Mike started screaming as he blocked his head from the raining ground beef failing down. It exploded upon impact and spread out everywhere, tripping Mike up. He watched as his mother continued dropping more upon him, not a care in the world. More ground beef exploded next to the pile Mike was atop of sending him flying elsewhere in the garbage. Mike looked up at his mother, the beef having stopped, and saw her looking down with complete disinterest. She was quieting singing a nice upbeat song which echoed down into the trash.

It wasn't over yet as another container appeared above the trash can and Mike watched as orange cheese rained down from above. Mike screamed as the cheese fell around him, and he noticed some of it was green. In his attempt to run and relatively large shred of moldy cheese landed on him knocking him down into the trash. He was forced to stare upward as more cheese rained down and his mother gave no sign of even noticing her tiny son beneath all the garbage. To her, she was throwing expired food away into a trash can filled only with garbage, there was no human being, especially not her own son, in it. Eventually the avalanche stopped and his goddess of a mother vanished, sealing him in darkness once more. 

Her face appeared not long after as Mike watched her drop wet potato peels into the trash around him. He had barely recovered from her last trash excursion and was not ready for this. The wet peels slapped the ground around him causing him to lose his balance and fall back into the trashy muck. With all the liquid that had been added, the trash around him was starting to become a swamp of sorts and Mike was finding himself getting stuck in the goop. Before he knew it the light was blocked out again, but not because the lid closed, no, a giant bag was dropping into the trash, but before it landed the lid really did close. Mike sloshed around in the dark swamp trying to find someplace safe. He fell face first into the swamp and got a mouth full of the trash water. He spit it out as quickly as he could and continued on trying to get somewhere safe. Mike eventually found what he assumed was the edge of the bag his mom had thrown in earlier. He used all his strength to climb on top of it, and for once, found himself out of the trash. His feet were standing on a discarded bag, but at least it wasn't wet sloppy trash. He was still covered in it though. Once he was safe, Mike again broke down into tears.

The lid opened once more and Mike barely bothered to look up. Whatever he saw was only going to make his life worse. He looked up and confirmed it. He saw Molly above him holding a plate. She began to tip it over and Mike heard a loud scraping sound erupt. He looked up and saw massive mounds of food rain down upon him. Meaty morsels and mushed potatoes and even a couple vegetables collapsed the bag Mike was on and compressed around him. He was slightly launched in the air only to land onto the food and get a face full of it. For once he was happy to get a face full of something. The scarping stopped and all went dark. Mike started to eat his meal. Sure, his sister had just thrown it into the trash on top of him, but it was food. Still relatively fresh food at that. Even trashy fresh food was better than nothing. He ate his fill and then laid down with it. He wasn't hungry anymore, but he still was stuck in a trash can.

Nothing happened for a long time after that. Mike assumed everyone went off and did there own things. Eventually the light appeared again and Leslie's face appeared above him. She turned he face starting directly towards the trash. He called out and waved his hands. It didn't nothing, but he had to try. Leslie pushed her hair out of the way and Mike saw her mouth form into a small circle. A giant, salivating, sticky glob of gum emerged from her mouth and plummeted past Mike into the garbage. A few drops of spit fell as well, one of them landing on Mike. He figured the light was going to go out again, but it didn't. Leslie brought her head back, standing tall again, still looking down into the trash. Mike started to panic.

* * *

Linda had charged Leslie with taking out the trash, so some time after dinner Leslie headed to the kitchen. She opened the trash can and spit her taste gum into it, barely missing some food scraps in there. Her mind never even contemplated or thought about what was in the trash, because to her it was just trash. After spitting out her gum she grabbed the edges of the back and started to lift the bag of garbage out of the can. She tied the bag up and, along with another bag of trash from around the house, took it outside. She grabbed the garbage can from the garage and tossed the two bags of trash into it, before she rolled it to the curb and left it there for the trash men to do their job. She headed back inside, having no idea she just left her brother out like a simple piece of trash.

* * *

Mike started yelling at his sister to stop, but she didn't listen as she gripped the edge of the trash bag. Mike's world tilted as he was flung off the bag and landed directly into the gum Leslie has just spit out. Mike was completely immobile and could only watch as his sister above removed all the edges of the trash can and began to lift it up. Mike screamed again and trash rolled one way and another, himself included. With a smack the trash bag landed on the kitchen floor and Mike looked upward as his sister closed the bag, looking down upon him like the trash he was. The sky turned white as the trash bag closed, sealing Mike off from the outside world. The bag was lifted again and titled on its side as Mike and the gum wad he was stuck in rolled all over the place. Soon the piles of garbage overtook him and Mike was being buried beneath trash. 

The gum rolled between various holes and Mike found himself pressed up against the side of the trash bag, with trash holding him in place. The bag was vertical so it wasn't so bad, but that changed as the lifting sensation came again. Leslie deposited the bag her brother was in into the garbage can, unfortunately the side Mike was at landed down, and Mike face planted into the bottom of the trash can as the weight of all the trash pressed him and gum into it. It only got worse as Leslie dropped the other bag of trash onto the first and Mike felt even more weight crush into him. He was now stuck in a wad of wet chewing up, pressed face first into the plastic side of a trash bag at the bottom of a garbage can, with two bags worth of trash pressing down on him. The gum absorbed most of the weight for him, but it wasn't comfortable, and the gum was starting to flatten out from the weight. Mike felt the movement of the garbage can, but before long it stopped, and Mike knew then it was over. He was sitting at the curb, waiting for the trash men to come and finish this once and for all.

* * *
Inside, Leslie placed a new trash bag into the can, and then washed her hands. She didn't even the trash, but she still felt dirty. Trash was disgusting and gross and she felt sorry for the trash men who had to deal with it. 

Chapter End Notes:

End of Chapter 17.