- Text Size +

 

While writing ERICA’S HOUSE I’ve had numerous thoughts on the future of the Rockwell family.  What will happen to them in 5, 10, 50 years?

 

But sometimes I also wonder how things could have gone a little differently.  In this outline, we suppose what would happen if Erica had been the only member of her family to fall victim to the Shrink Effect.

 

At age 16 Erica had always hidden in the shadow of her big family.  With 5 siblings it was always simple to find a shadow to hide in, whether it was her big siblings confidence and achievements or her little brother Sammy’s boisterous adorableness.  As such Erica grew into the kind of young woman who could spend an hour in a room without being noticed.

 

As such, when she woke up one day standing only three-inches tall it barely affected the day to day lives of her family.  Oh sure, they were shocked and for the first few months the tiny Erica was showered in sympathy and attention as she adjusted to her big new world, but after a short time everyone got used to the new status quo.  In truth, an Erica who fit in your pocket didn’t pull much less attention than she’d ever done full sized.

 

As her family moved on, so did Erica withdraw.  Her father set her up with a fun little doll house that she could hide away in, while her mother insisted that it be placed in a walled terrarium to protect from pests.  Crouched behind the window sill of her shadowed world Erica watched her family’s bustling life.  She watched her oldest siblings Cole & Brittany return to college after the summer ended.  She watched Danielle grow into a brashly confident woman, captain of her high school soccer team and possessed of a radiant energy that made her a natural leader.  She watched Derrick become a slick ladies man, sneaking a different girl each week into the bedroom where Erica’s cage sat.  Mostly she watched everyone move on and forget that Erica had ever been anything more than the family pet.

 

On a good day somebody pay her a little attention, but in truth Erica sometimes wished they wouldn’t.  Her mom and dad never stopped giving her love and care but they treated her like a baby, not trusting her to even pick out her clothing on her own (and god forbid her privacy be respected).  Sammy treats her like a fun toy, but in truth he seems almost jealous of her tiny stature.  Erica lived in fear of the days when he’d get mad at her.  Derrick and Danielle barely had time for her but when they did she found herself groveling for their pleasure, putting on her best ‘happy puppy’ show when they seemed bored by the idea of treating her like a person.

 

And such was the state of Erica one year later when Brittany came home from college for the summer.  Sneaking up on Erica’s cage with a chocolate truffle (Erica’s favorite) hidden behind her back, Brittany finds Erica sitting on her dollhouse porch quietly crying. 

“Hey hey, sweet baby, what’s the matter?” Brittany said and scooped Erica up into her palms. 

“Oh, hi Brittany!”  Without missing a beat Erica pushed her tears away and put on her brightest smile for Brittany, practically wagging her tail in excitement as she balanced herself in Brittany’s palm on her hands and knees.  “It’s nothing, I was just thinking.  Can I do anything for you!?  We could play or I could do a dance, or if you want I can rub your feet or…or….”

“Whoa whoa, slow down E,” Brittany said, concern on her enormous face.  Erica was wiggling in her hand more like a little mouse than her sister.  “It’s cool, you don’t have to kiss my ass.  Just chill out.”

 

Brittany takes Erica out of her cage and lounges with her on the bed, and for the first time in a long time a big person patiently listens to Erica and talks to her like a person.  Over the course of the summer Brittany pays Erica many more visits like this, and slowly coaxes Erica out her role of adoring pet, getting her to vent about the lonely, pathetic life she’s come to live.

Erica in turn comes to adore Brittany, feeling alive and happy for the first time in ages.  They’d never truly bonded as sisters before, but over the summer Erica comes to look up to Brittany with an almost zealous love, finding her beautiful and funny and infinitely kind.

 

At the end of the summer Brittany returns to college, and Erica announces that she wants to go with her.  Their mother says no, but is eventually persuaded as she sees the happiness on Erica’s face that has been missing.

 

At college Erica has to be kept in a cage full time while Brittany goes to classes, but she doesn’t care.  Getting to watch Brittany’s college life gives her a vicarious thrill, and she makes friends with Brittany’s sorority sisters.  Eventually she persuades Brittany to sneak her out to classes, and Erica spends every day hidden in Brittany’s hair, tucked under her sleeve, or stuffed into her cleavage.  To Brittany’s delight Erica is quite the student and helps Brittany as a keen study tutor.

 

In the end Erica becomes even more of a pet than she used to be, but now she’s a happy pet, obsessed with her master and devoted to her happiness.  In turn Brittany gains an empathy for the weak that she had lacked, becoming more concerned with helping others than with the drama of college popularity.  

 

 

 

 

Another alternate world story involves the Shrink Effect inverting in the Rockwell home, with all of the family being restored to their size one day while Erica, Gina & Simone shrink down.

The family doesn't take any kind of real revenge, no torture, but there are definite hard feelings after having their lives tyranically controlled for so long.  Lot of teasing, games, and petty payback to the girls.

Gina and Simone are sent home to their families, where they have to put up with their own difficulties.  Simone is a single daughter to a wealthy family and so is given a lot of luxury, but Gina has multiple younger siblings and a bustling household with working parents, and finds herself dealing with daily indignities.  The three girls get to get together on supervised play dates.

To Erica's surprise, Brittany becomes her main protector.  She has to deal with numerous condescending lectures from her mother as well as a spanking or two, and lots of teasing from everyone else.  Erica tries to explain that taking care of 7 people is a huge responsibility, so much easier than all 7 of them just taking care of her, and she did what she had to.