- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Jumko and his family arrive at the grand plaza for the start of the ritual. He is more than ready, however, his friend Teod is distressed. Jumko runs into the source of Teod's stress, a person that constantly bothers him.

“Are you nervous?” asked Rachel, Jumko’s sister. Rachel, like Nadia was a 16 year old Maiden and she too was looking forward to the Ritual. A few boys had asked for her hand in marriage should they succeed in becoming warriors. Rachel was beautiful in her own way. Long brown hair, blue eyes, a petite face with an almost flawless complexion. “No!” retorted Jumko, “I’ll crush all the competition.” He added arrogantly.

 

“Whatever happens dear,” his mother, Yuli, chimed in, “We will be immensely proud of you.” Jumko snorted. He knew his mother was just saying polite things. The truth is, if he doesn’t become a warrior, his mother will be ashamed. The three of them were making their way to the grand plaza to begin the ritual. Jumko was decked out in his best fighting attire, ready and primed for the intense fighting that will be taking place over the next few days.

 

Every 18 year old boy from across the various villages and towns gathers in the grand plaza to fight each other. Even the boys of weapon smiths and labourers take part. They are not the offspring of great warriors but as is consistently predicted, every now and again a warrior is born of the low caste commoners. Allowing them to compete ensures that these diamonds in the rough are found to help defend the Empire. However, over centuries of performing the Metzakal Ritual, it is almost always the offspring of warriors that become new warriors and maidens. It is a form of selective breeding that has created a class of immensely beautiful girls and strong boys. The first round pits the boys against each other in a carefully selected fashion. Those that defeat their opponents the quickest, face those that took the longest on the 2nd day. The losers are tallied and become labourers. The 2nd day is much like the first with the losers slated to be weapon smiths. It is on the 3rd day, when the biggest crowds gather, that the final 200 boys or so are pitted against each other one final time to determine who will become a warrior and who will become a Gulaka.

 

The boys fight in tradition garb. A shield in one hand and a staff on the other with an obsidian globe attached to one end. To win a battle, one boy must strike the other on the head causing his opponent to pass out. Only a knockout will finish the bout. Many fights have taken a long time to resolve, even with severe injuries to both fighters and extreme exhaustion. The maidens sit in the front sections and watch the fights. It is during this time they can see the boys fight and determine who they would be willing to mate with. Parents join the other spectators and watch from the steps surrounding the grand plaza. The King and his royal family watch from the royal tower overlooking the plaza.

 

Nadia saw Jumko approach the plaza and run up to him. She hugged him and then stood back to admire his outfit. “You look like a true warrior” she stated as her eyes glanced up and down Jumko’s body.

 

“Hey Nadia!” exclaimed Rachel.

 

“Rach!” Nadia shot back, “You look soo beautiful! Oh my god, I’m so excited.”

 

“I know, I can hardly believe this day is finally here. You look beautiful too, I love your dress.”

 

“Nadia,” added Yuli, “You are truly stunning, you must have dozens of marriage proposals. A warrior would be a fool not to choose you.” Nadia blushed and giggled in embarrassment. “I’ve had a few.” She politely answered.

 

“Well,” continued Yuli, “got your eye on anyone in particular?” she joked while nudging Jumko.

 

“Well…I could select Bum’Kal, or maybe even Jero, he’s really hot,” she joked back, “but… I’ve got my eye on someone special.” Nadia tapped her nose and then giggled. “He’s really good looking and will be a damn good warrior too.” She added.

 

“Well that doesn’t sound like Jumko,” Rachel interjected humorously; “He’s ugly and will probably be a weapon smith or a Gulaka if he’s so lucky.” Jumko snorted. “You’d be so lucky if a labourer even asked to marry you” he retorted. Rachel stuck her tongue out at him.

 

“I hope you become a Gulaka so I can eat you.” She shot back while snapping her jaw shut in a biting motion.

 

“Come now,” Yuli blurted, “Jumko needs to get prepared, let’s go find some good seats and assess the competition.”

 

Yuli and Rachel trailed off but not before Rachel turned her head back and snapped her teeth one more time. Nadia stayed back and then turned towards Jumko. She leaned in and whispered softly into his ear. “I wish I could fuck you right here right now. You look so fucking amazing.” She rubbed his ripped abdomen with her right hand. Jumko’s cock stirred in his leather loin cloth. He was slightly shocked at Nadia’s words, she had been saying daring and bold things lately. If anyone had heard what she just said, she’d be slut shamed for sure. Nadia stepped back, smiled and then slapped Jumko’s ass hard. “Go get him Tiger!” she shouted before turning around and running after Yuli and Rachel.

 

Jumko turned towards the War Palace to be sized and assigned a bout number. It was here that he ran into his friends.

 

“Jumko!” shouted Jero. “What’s up buddy?”

 

“Hey Jero, you ready?” replied Jumko

 

“Yeah, I’m in bout number 78. You?

 

“219.”

 

“Do you know who you are facing?”

 

“No, you?”

 

“Yeah, it’s Humzal! Poor guy, I’m gonna destroy him in about 5 pendulum swings.”

 

“Ha ha,” laughed Jumko, “He’s gonna be a labourer for sure.”

 

Jumko noticed Teod sitting in the corner looking distressed. Teod was always stressing about this day. He had no confidence yet wasn’t really a bad student.

 

“You okay?” inquired Jumko.

 

“I’m worried,” replied Teod.

 

“Why?”

 

“I really don’t want to be a Gulaka.” sighed Teod. “I mean, don’t get me wrong, it’s an honour but I really don’t want to be eaten. Can I confide something to you?” asked Teod.

 

“Sure”

 

“I’m thinking of just failing purposely to become a weapon smith.”

 

“What?!” retorted Jumko with some anger. He had no patience for cowardice.

 

“It’s just … It’s …” stammered Teod.

 

“WHAT!” exclaimed Jumko

 

Toad hugged his legs closer to his body. “It’s just … I asked Xanthe to marry me and she just laughed. You know what she said?” Toad paused. “She said she hopes I become a Gulaka. She said she wouldn’t even eat me. I would give her food poisoning. She said she’d like nothing more than to crush me with her foot and use my blood to paint her toenails. She said this in front of her friends to me. They all laughed.”

 

“Get your shit together Teod.” Jumko exclaimed. “Be a weapon smith if you want, but you sure as hell won’t be my weapon smith.” Jumko then walked back outside to get away from the negativity.

 

“Jumko” whistled someone.

 

He turned around and noticed Xanthe coming towards him. Xanthe was a popular maiden. Blonde hair, rather tall and with an incredible athletic build. She was also somewhat of a bitch. She had a massive crush on Jumko. He knew it but always acted like he didn’t realize it. Xanthe often flirted with him and this would make Nadia angry to no end. She would often accuse Jumko of preferring Xanthe and leaving her behind. Jumko understood Nadia’s worries, but hated her conspiracy theories.

 

“Oh, hey Xanthe” replied Jumko unenthusiastically.

 

“You look nice”, she replied while rubbing his shield with her fingers. “You excited for the ritual to start. What bout are you in so I can watch you in action?” she said sultrily.

 

“219.”

 

“Who you facing?” she asked while leaning in closer to Jumko, her hands now rubbing up and down his staff in a sexually suggestive manner.

 

“I don’t know.” Jumko coughed out. He was uncomfortable. He suddenly noticed behind Xanthe’s shoulder that Nadia was glaring at him. She was about 50 yards away with her group of friends. Jumko needed to get rid of Xanthe quick.

 

“Why were you such a bitch to Teod?” interrogated Jumko.

 

Xanthe stepped back, slightly shocked at his prompt questioning. “He’s a loser”, she replied. “I’ve told him repeatedly that I don’t want to marry him.”

 

“Yeah, but the whole crushing him and painting your nails with his blood thing? You’ve psyched him out for this competition. This is a very important time in his life and you’ve ruined it for him.”

 

“Oh come on”, Xanthe said, “I was only joking.” She placed her hand on Jumko’s shoulder. “He knows I was only joking.” Suddenly, Jumko felt someone’s arms wrap around his waist. It was Nadia, she position herself against his left side.

 

“Hello Xanthe.” Nadia said sternly.

 

“Nadia.” Replied Xanthe sarcastically.

 

“Talking to my future husband I see.” Nadia replied in a catty fashion.

 

“Just making polite conversation”, replied Xanthe innocently. “Anyway”, she continued, “I’ll go apologize to Teod”. Xanthe walked away. Nadia quickly removed her arm from Jumko’s side and positioned herself in front of him. “I don’t want you talking to her”, she demanded. Jumko sighed in defeat. He didn’t want to start a fight right now. He searched for the right words to say. “I will not”, he replied sternly. “She’s a bitch anyway”, he added. Nadia smiled.

 

“Good. What bout are you in?”

 

“219”

 

“You better get ready. I’ll be watching you.” Nadia leaned in and kissed him on the cheek then sauntered away. Jumko prepared or his upcoming bout.

 

Chapter End Notes:

This won't be the last of Xanthe. Next chapter she continues to taunt Jumko as she tries to drive a wedge between him and Nadia.