- Text Size +

Overseers

Despite the archaic nature of the prison itself, the lab was spacious and well-appointed with all of the modern conveniences and amenities required to complete the project.

The showpiece of the project was on a large table in the center of the primary lab room. As much as could be reasonably duplicated, including functional toilets and wall switches, it was a 1/25th scale model of the prison’s secure unit, rectangular in dimension with one end the living area, opening into an access corridor containing six more separate rooms, four smaller, two larger. The model infrastructure was molded polycarbonate, a highly durable and strong plastic. All electrical conduits and plumbing was constructed externally to the model with no access from within. The roof was constructed of removable panels of fiber optically enhanced polycarbonate. Inside the model, it would appear like the whole ceiling was one giant soft light, while from above, everything was transparent allowing the project members to observe the residents undetected.

They had several nicknames for the model, jokingly referring to it as the home for model prisoners, referencing the size of the inhabitants as opposed to their behavior, the maze, and the mean hamster cage.

Crossing her arms under her breasts, Dagmara looked down on the occupants inside the model, a frown creasing her lovely face.

“You look pensive Mara,” commented Hope Stanford, the project’s psychologist.

Dagmara looked up and smiled at the sandy haired doctor. Looking at the other woman, a casual observer would never guess she possessed a doctorate in cognitive behavioral psychology, she appeared like she was still a teenager, big bright green eyes and face that belonged on a magazine cover. A double threat. Not only was she gorgeous, but she also harbored a keen highly educated mind behind those verdant eyes. Like everyone attached to the research portion of the project, she was personally hand selected for inclusion by Dagmara herself. Including Dagmara and Hope, there were two others on the project’s senior guidance committee, medical doctor Karilynn Wolcott, and administrator Madeline Masters. When she had been given authority over the project, Dagmara had selected ambitious career oriented women like herself who shared her ideology and women she knew and felt she could trust. There were also four younger project assistants who were aiding with logistics, data collection, and observational monitoring.

“I don’t know, call it intuition, but I don’t trust our little friends here, I get the impression they conformed a little too readily to the introduction into the new environment,” she commented.

Hope nodded, her light brown ponytail bobbing. “Given the contumacious disposition of our wee guests, I would be inclined to agree with your misgivings. We certainly anticipated a much greater degree of resistance to their circumstances,” she added. “That being said, with this eclectic assortment of personalities here, there is enough case material in that little box for me to spend the years studying the complexity of narcissistic, borderline personality, and antisocial behavioral disorders,” she said with a chuckle, eyes downcast and watching subjects 1 and 4 engaged in secretive conversation.

Seeing Mara and Hope observing the little men in the box, Madeline walked over to a vacant side of the table, “What are we looking at today,” she asked, a hint of amusement in her light brown eyes as she looked in.

“I was just saying to Hope I think our tiny felons are conspiring,” Dagmara replied, pointing a finger toward the common room where most of the nine were assembled.

“Conspiring to do what?” Madeline asked.

Mara shrugged, “That’s what troubles me. I’m not sure what it is, escape perhaps?” she suggested.

“Escape?” Hope asked, “The environment is impervious. A half million dollars went into its design and construction. There aren’t any doors or other means of exiting the model other than through the removable roof plates and they would be too heavy for the subjects to move even if they weren’t independent held fast. There’s no possible way out and if perchance somehow they found one, we have secondary containment here in the lab,” she ventured, shaking her head at the improbability of such.

Madeline grinned, “I think it may be something more nefarious, you know, with nothing but time to dream up ways to disrupt the system, it’s what they do. Idle hands are the Devil’s playground,” she added mirthfully. “Especially that one,” she said, pointing an index finger at Mordred Pallor sitting alone in his cell causing the other two women to chuckle.

“I expected more mayhem. When we selected these specific candidates, we knew several of them had a history of violence toward one another, but none of them are acting out or according to expectations,” mused the Director.

“You were expecting them at each other’s throats?” Hope asked.

“I expected more than verbal confrontation and posturing, especially between Taylor and Hodge, subjects 1 and 3. As a collective body, they’re up to something,” she replied.

“Undoubtedly as they become more and more aware of incongruencies in the environment, this may elevate their anxiety levels and lead to hostility and mistrust resulting in manifestations of violent expression,” Hope suggested speculatively.

“Maybe it’s just me and my thing for bad boys, but I think a bunch of them are hot,” Madeline commented with lopsided smile, not bothering to look up at either of the other two women.

Hope chuckled, “Perhaps when it’s time to conclude the project, Mara will let you take one of the little rascals home as a pet,” she teased.

Madeline’s eyes lit up at the possibility, “Could be fun, could I?” she inquired, hope sparkling in her eyes.

There certainly were some interesting possibilities. Dagmara shook her head, “As much as it would be entertaining, for the moment we will adhere to the project plan and euthanize them at completion of the experiment,” she stated.

Madeline made a show of extending her bottom lip in an exaggerated pout.

Mara smiled, “That’s for the moment. While they are adapting to their new size, I want to conduct a full screening for any physiological or psychological anomalies,” she said.

“Is there any specific way you want Kari and I to proceed or conduct the screening?” Hope inquired.

“Just go in subject order and isolate them in the interview rooms, use subjects 1 and 2 first, then proceed until all of them have been reviewed,” she instructed.

The doctor nodded, looking to Madeline, who was the one to make the PA announcements.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please feel free to share a review, leave a comment, or provide some feedback, it is always helpful and greatly appreciated, thanks for taking the time to read this story!